You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Colorado
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted1064759
I believe they only have <500 MCAT screen so you'll get it eventually.Anybody OOS still waiting on a secondary? Should I just give up hope lol
I wonder how they screen then because I was verified today and got their secondary the same day. OOS as well.I believe they only have <500 MCAT screen so you'll get it eventually.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my secondary 7/29, and my file is currently under review. Fingers crossed.
in state? im OOS, submitted couple weeks ago and waiting
If you Google CU School of Medicine Fort Collins Branch it should come up. Also if anyone has questions about Fort Collins or CSU I can try to answer them, that was my undergraduate institution.can anyone direct me to additional resources on the CSB and Fort Collins Phase III programs??
TyrosineKindase
Full Member
For anyone curious, class of 2024 has 160 students (I believe ~20 less than previous year).
Do you know why?For anyone curious, class of 2024 has 160 students (I believe ~20 less than previous year).
TyrosineKindase
Full Member
Nope. As far as I know it wasn't intentional. But I am also pretty sure not everyone on the waitlist got in.. Not even the top priority waitlist.Do you know why?
Last edited:
jackiefrost2
Full Member
Is the urban track still a thing?
Escherian
Full Member
No: Tracks | School of Medicine | University of Colorado DenverIs the urban track still a thing?
Well actually there is still an urban underserved track. Scared me for a second cause I mentioned this in my essay lol
I believe I saw somewhere in this thread that it’s being integrated into the curriculum for all students, like LEADS.Well actually there is still an urban underserved track. Scared me for a second cause I mentioned this in my essay lol
But honestly, I think you’re fine. It’s still a part of the curriculum and the website has information that suggests it is a track.
Escherian
Full Member
Well actually there is still an urban underserved track. Scared me for a second cause I mentioned this in my essay lol
From the link: Content in the Urban Underserved and LEADs Tracks will be incorporated into the core curriculum starting in 2020 (all students will get this content). As a result, there will be no new track applications accepted for the Urban Underserved and LEADS Tracks for medical students applying to start in 2020 and beyond. The Research, Rural and Global Health Tracks will continue to accept new cohorts each year."
That content will still be part of the curriculum but it sounds like you won't be able to focus on it as its own track.
Nope. As far as I know it wasn't intentional. But I am also pretty sure not everyone on the waitlist got in.. Not even the top priority waitlist.
It was intentional. With the new curriculum, current MS1s enter clinicals earlier than before (so there will be a little bit of time where current MS2s & current MS1s will all be on clinical rotations together). Fewer students in the class of 2024 makes it easier for clinical sites to not be overwhelmed with learners & for students to have plenty of learning opportunities on rotation
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jackiefrost2
Full Member
I mean saves me from writing another essay lol. Thank you!From the link: Content in the Urban Underserved and LEADs Tracks will be incorporated into the core curriculum starting in 2020 (all students will get this content). As a result, there will be no new track applications accepted for the Urban Underserved and LEADS Tracks for medical students applying to start in 2020 and beyond. The Research, Rural and Global Health Tracks will continue to accept new cohorts each year."
That content will still be part of the curriculum but it sounds like you won't be able to focus on it as its own track.
ilovemydogssomuch
New Member
anyone OOS still waiting for a secondary?
Anyone receive in interview invite yet ?
Anyone receive in interview invite yet ?
For what it's worth, from CU's Admissions website:
Admissions Tracker
Updated July 2020
- Primary Applications: 7,268
- Secondary Applications: 3,530
- Interviewed Applicants: 0
- Acceptance Offers: 0
For what it's worth, from CU's Admissions website:
Admissions Tracker
Updated July 2020
- Primary Applications: 7,268
- Secondary Applications: 3,530
- Interviewed Applicants: 0
- Acceptance Offers: 0
Updated with no changes in numbers (only month of update):
Admissions Tracker
Updated August 2020
- Primary Applications: 7,268
- Secondary Applications: 3,530
- Interviewed Applicants: 0
- Acceptance Offers: 0
withApologies if I missed it, but was the 1500 characters with or without spaces? Thanks!
There is no way for any of us to know that. You should research which schools are best for international students and prioritize your list on that. Your stats are excellent, but it’s going to come down to your experiences, reasons for that school, and how you communicate those thoughts in your essay.Hi, I am an international student with stats of 3.91/518. I have around 300 hr volunteering experience and 4000 hr research. Does anyone know how likely I will get an II? I know it's different and less likely for international students but just wondering.
D
deleted1048149
Secondary complete today!. OOS but born in Colorado Springs, have family there, and really want to get back there. Fingers crossed this is definitely top 3 for me.
Also, are other OOS still waiting on secondary? I got mine about 3 days after my primary was verified, I think a lot of these things are very random though
Also, are other OOS still waiting on secondary? I got mine about 3 days after my primary was verified, I think a lot of these things are very random though
Last edited by a moderator:
CU's 2019-2020 Applicant Pool:
Primary Applications: 10,432 (20% increase from previous year)
Secondary Applications Completed: 6,847 (7% were residents of Colorado)
Class Size: 160 (71 IS, 89 OOS)
85% science majors
57% female
21% URM
Average Age: 24
They supposedly interview ~650-700 applicants.
Good luck to all those applying this cycle!
Primary Applications: 10,432 (20% increase from previous year)
Secondary Applications Completed: 6,847 (7% were residents of Colorado)
Class Size: 160 (71 IS, 89 OOS)
85% science majors
57% female
21% URM
Average Age: 24
They supposedly interview ~650-700 applicants.
Good luck to all those applying this cycle!
I'm a big giant dummy. I just realized that I accidentally marked "No" for the re-applicant question after submitting my secondary. I have a bunch of secondaries all due on the 20th so I've even writing them all at the same time and I'm slightly anxious and disorganized. I did apply to Colorado last year, I think I've been so used to clicking no on certain questions (like all the legacy questions) that it was just muscle memory at this point. What should I do? Should I contact their office or just ride it out and hope for the best?
I'm a big giant dummy. I just realized that I accidentally marked "No" for the re-applicant question after submitting my secondary. I have a bunch of secondaries all due on the 20th so I've even writing them all at the same time and I'm slightly anxious and disorganized. I did apply to Colorado last year, I think I've been so used to clicking no on certain questions (like all the legacy questions) that it was just muscle memory at this point. What should I do? Should I contact their office or just ride it out and hope for the best?
I'd email them. It looks bad if they realize you applied last year but marked "no" on reapp question. You don't want an honest accident to look intentional.
Teratogen100
Full Member
Decided to send a secondary here last minute, OOS. I'm having trouble understanding the mission though. If there is such a focus on rural Colorado then why do they accept so many OOS students?
abc123041187
Full Member
$$$$$$$... but thats just my guessDecided to send a secondary here last minute, OOS. I'm having trouble understanding the mission though. If there is such a focus on rural Colorado then why do they accept so many OOS students?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary complete today, fingers crossed. OOS but born in Colorado Springs, have family there, and really want to get back there. Fingers crossed this is definitely top 3 for me.
Also, are other OOS still waiting on secondary? I got mine about 3 days after my primary was verified, I think a lot of these things are very random though
I submitted 8/6 and I’m still waiting on a secondary :/
D
deleted1048149
I submitted 8/6 and I’m still waiting on a secondary :/
Weird, I really have no idea what the rationale would be. My stats are sub-optimal, I have pretty run-of-the mill EC's, and I don't think my PS is going to bring any ADCOMs to tears. I really wonder if just having been born in CO was a big factor
I got my secondary really quickly after verification back in July without having lived in Colorado at any point in my life. I think some of it just comes down to randomness that is difficult to explain.Weird, I really have no idea what the rationale would be. My stats are sub-optimal, I have pretty run-of-the mill EC's, and I don't think my PS is going to bring any ADCOMs to tears. I really wonder if just having been born in CO was a big factor
Decided to send a secondary here last minute, OOS. I'm having trouble understanding the mission though. If there is such a focus on rural Colorado then why do they accept so many OOS students?
Oh it's 100% $$$. Colorado has this law which doesn't allow taxes to be raised without a direct vote of the people which happens precisely never (no one wants their taxes to go up) and has resulted in a lot of underfunding of public higher ed (also other stuff like infrastructure).
I submitted 8/6 and I’m still waiting on a secondary :/
Would you happen to be a reapplicant? I was verified 6/5 and several weeks after transmission had still not received a secondary. I emailed admissions on 7/30 and they had sent my secondary to the email address from my file last year (institutional email address I no longer can access). Explained the situation, and they sent a new link. I landed just outside the 2-week return window despite having this secondary finished for weeks. This happened with two other schools that use the AMP portal, also (Wayne State and Dartmouth).
Would you happen to be a reapplicant? I was verified 6/5 and several weeks after transmission had still not received a secondary. I emailed admissions on 7/30 and they had sent my secondary to the email address from my file last year (institutional email address I no longer can access). Explained the situation, and they sent a new link. I landed just outside the 2-week return window despite having this secondary finished for weeks. This happened with two other schools that use the AMP portal, also (Wayne State and Dartmouth).
Interesting. Glad you got it though! I am a reapplicant but I checked my old email and I haven’t received it. I’ll send them an email soon! Thank you!
1,500 for both. Its a tough one.
I just want to clarify, so there is one essay space where you answer both questions A and B in 1500 characters total?
D
deleted1040408
correct.I just want to clarify, so there is one essay space where you answer both questions A and B in 1500 characters total?
Does the character count include spaces?
D
deleted1040408
Does the character count include spaces?
yes.
D
deleted1040408
wow thank you! does anyone know how many interviews they typically OFFER?Just to update everyone, here is the updated admissions tracker!
- Primary Applications: 7,268
- Secondary Applications: 3,530
- Interviewed Applicants: 0
- Acceptance Offers: 0
wow thank you! does anyone know how many interviews they typically OFFER?
Here is a message higher up the thread about last years cycleCU's 2019-2020 Applicant Pool:
Primary Applications: 10,432 (20% increase from previous year)
Secondary Applications Completed: 6,847 (7% were residents of Colorado)
Class Size: 160 (71 IS, 89 OOS)
85% science majors
57% female
21% URM
Average Age: 24
They supposedly interview ~650-700 applicants.
Good luck to all those applying this cycle!
D
deleted1019111
Anyone IS that hasn't received a secondary? My AMCAS was verified 7/24
Does this cycle's secondary include the urban underserved track essay prompts?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does this cycle's secondary include the urban underserved track essay prompts?
No, its incorporated into their core curriculum now.
University of Colorado School of Medicine Education
The University of Colorado School of Medicine is committed to lifelong and interdisciplinary learning for medical students.
6223likelebron
New Member
MS1 struggling in anatomy here. Hit me up if you got questions
Sure --- What's the area around the school like ? Nice ? Blighted ? Lively ? Boring ?
6223likelebron
New Member
A majority of students live in the luxury on campus (technically off campus) student housing which is very nice and safe and there’s a couple bars/restaurants downstairs dominated by students. Outside of campus, Aurora is not a great neighborhood. A lot of homelessness, streets in poor quality, I hate to use the word ghetto but it’s what you’d picture when you hear it. There’s old buildings, suspicious strip clubs, what i assume are prostitutes occasionally. You can still find your grocery store and restaurant chains. Some students live in farther nearby areas and commute/bike to campus. If you can handle paying for school parking and driving 15 mins, potentially saving on rent, it’s a valid optionSure --- What's the area around the school like ? Nice ? Blighted ? Lively ? Boring ?