2020-2021 Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody OOS still waiting on a secondary? Should I just give up hope lol

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone direct me to additional resources on the CSB and Fort Collins Phase III programs??

can anyone direct me to additional resources on the CSB and Fort Collins Phase III programs??
If you Google CU School of Medicine Fort Collins Branch it should come up. Also if anyone has questions about Fort Collins or CSU I can try to answer them, that was my undergraduate institution.

For anyone curious, class of 2024 has 160 students (I believe ~20 less than previous year).

Well actually there is still an urban underserved track. Scared me for a second cause I mentioned this in my essay lol
I believe I saw somewhere in this thread that it’s being integrated into the curriculum for all students, like LEADS.
But honestly, I think you’re fine. It’s still a part of the curriculum and the website has information that suggests it is a track.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well actually there is still an urban underserved track. Scared me for a second cause I mentioned this in my essay lol

From the link: Content in the Urban Underserved and LEADs Tracks will be incorporated into the core curriculum starting in 2020 (all students will get this content). As a result, there will be no new track applications accepted for the Urban Underserved and LEADS Tracks for medical students applying to start in 2020 and beyond. The Research, Rural and Global Health Tracks will continue to accept new cohorts each year."

That content will still be part of the curriculum but it sounds like you won't be able to focus on it as its own track.

Nope. As far as I know it wasn't intentional. But I am also pretty sure not everyone on the waitlist got in.. Not even the top priority waitlist.

It was intentional. With the new curriculum, current MS1s enter clinicals earlier than before (so there will be a little bit of time where current MS2s & current MS1s will all be on clinical rotations together). Fewer students in the class of 2024 makes it easier for clinical sites to not be overwhelmed with learners & for students to have plenty of learning opportunities on rotation

Reactions: 2 users
From the link: Content in the Urban Underserved and LEADs Tracks will be incorporated into the core curriculum starting in 2020 (all students will get this content). As a result, there will be no new track applications accepted for the Urban Underserved and LEADS Tracks for medical students applying to start in 2020 and beyond. The Research, Rural and Global Health Tracks will continue to accept new cohorts each year."

That content will still be part of the curriculum but it sounds like you won't be able to focus on it as its own track.
I mean saves me from writing another essay lol. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone receive in interview invite yet ?

For what it's worth, from CU's Admissions website:

Admissions Tracker
Updated July 2020

• Primary Applications: 7,268
  • Secondary Applications: 3,530
  • Interviewed Applicants: 0
  • Acceptance Offers: 0

Reactions: 8 users
For what it's worth, from CU's Admissions website:

Admissions Tracker
Updated July 2020

Updated with no changes in numbers (only month of update):

Admissions Tracker
Updated August 2020

Reactions: 5 users
Apologies if I missed it, but was the 1500 characters with or without spaces? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, I am an international student with stats of 3.91/518. I have around 300 hr volunteering experience and 4000 hr research. Does anyone know how likely I will get an II? I know it's different and less likely for international students but just wondering.

Hi, I am an international student with stats of 3.91/518. I have around 300 hr volunteering experience and 4000 hr research. Does anyone know how likely I will get an II? I know it's different and less likely for international students but just wondering.
There is no way for any of us to know that. You should research which schools are best for international students and prioritize your list on that. Your stats are excellent, but it’s going to come down to your experiences, reasons for that school, and how you communicate those thoughts in your essay.

Secondary complete today!. OOS but born in Colorado Springs, have family there, and really want to get back there. Fingers crossed this is definitely top 3 for me.

Also, are other OOS still waiting on secondary? I got mine about 3 days after my primary was verified, I think a lot of these things are very random though

Last edited by a moderator:
CU's 2019-2020 Applicant Pool:

Primary Applications: 10,432 (20% increase from previous year)
Secondary Applications Completed: 6,847 (7% were residents of Colorado)

Class Size: 160 (71 IS, 89 OOS)
85% science majors
57% female
21% URM
Average Age: 24
They supposedly interview ~650-700 applicants.

Good luck to all those applying this cycle!

I'm a big giant dummy. I just realized that I accidentally marked "No" for the re-applicant question after submitting my secondary. I have a bunch of secondaries all due on the 20th so I've even writing them all at the same time and I'm slightly anxious and disorganized. I did apply to Colorado last year, I think I've been so used to clicking no on certain questions (like all the legacy questions) that it was just muscle memory at this point. What should I do? Should I contact their office or just ride it out and hope for the best?

I'm a big giant dummy. I just realized that I accidentally marked "No" for the re-applicant question after submitting my secondary. I have a bunch of secondaries all due on the 20th so I've even writing them all at the same time and I'm slightly anxious and disorganized. I did apply to Colorado last year, I think I've been so used to clicking no on certain questions (like all the legacy questions) that it was just muscle memory at this point. What should I do? Should I contact their office or just ride it out and hope for the best?

I'd email them. It looks bad if they realize you applied last year but marked "no" on reapp question. You don't want an honest accident to look intentional.

Decided to send a secondary here last minute, OOS. I'm having trouble understanding the mission though. If there is such a focus on rural Colorado then why do they accept so many OOS students?

Decided to send a secondary here last minute, OOS. I'm having trouble understanding the mission though. If there is such a focus on rural Colorado then why do they accept so many OOS students?
$$$$$$$... but thats just my guess

Reactions: 4 users
Secondary complete today, fingers crossed. OOS but born in Colorado Springs, have family there, and really want to get back there. Fingers crossed this is definitely top 3 for me.

Also, are other OOS still waiting on secondary? I got mine about 3 days after my primary was verified, I think a lot of these things are very random though

I submitted 8/6 and I’m still waiting on a secondary :/

Weird, I really have no idea what the rationale would be. My stats are sub-optimal, I have pretty run-of-the mill EC's, and I don't think my PS is going to bring any ADCOMs to tears. I really wonder if just having been born in CO was a big factor

Weird, I really have no idea what the rationale would be. My stats are sub-optimal, I have pretty run-of-the mill EC's, and I don't think my PS is going to bring any ADCOMs to tears. I really wonder if just having been born in CO was a big factor
I got my secondary really quickly after verification back in July without having lived in Colorado at any point in my life. I think some of it just comes down to randomness that is difficult to explain.

Reactions: 2 users

Oh it's 100% $$$. Colorado has this law which doesn't allow taxes to be raised without a direct vote of the people which happens precisely never (no one wants their taxes to go up) and has resulted in a lot of underfunding of public higher ed (also other stuff like infrastructure).

Reactions: 4 users

Would you happen to be a reapplicant? I was verified 6/5 and several weeks after transmission had still not received a secondary. I emailed admissions on 7/30 and they had sent my secondary to the email address from my file last year (institutional email address I no longer can access). Explained the situation, and they sent a new link. I landed just outside the 2-week return window despite having this secondary finished for weeks. This happened with two other schools that use the AMP portal, also (Wayne State and Dartmouth).

Would you happen to be a reapplicant? I was verified 6/5 and several weeks after transmission had still not received a secondary. I emailed admissions on 7/30 and they had sent my secondary to the email address from my file last year (institutional email address I no longer can access). Explained the situation, and they sent a new link. I landed just outside the 2-week return window despite having this secondary finished for weeks. This happened with two other schools that use the AMP portal, also (Wayne State and Dartmouth).

Interesting. Glad you got it though! I am a reapplicant but I checked my old email and I haven’t received it. I’ll send them an email soon! Thank you!

Just to update everyone, here is the updated admissions tracker!

Reactions: 6 users
Just to update everyone, here is the updated admissions tracker!
wow thank you! does anyone know how many interviews they typically OFFER?

wow thank you! does anyone know how many interviews they typically OFFER?

CU's 2019-2020 Applicant Pool:

Primary Applications: 10,432 (20% increase from previous year)
Secondary Applications Completed: 6,847 (7% were residents of Colorado)

Class Size: 160 (71 IS, 89 OOS)
85% science majors
57% female
21% URM
Average Age: 24
They supposedly interview ~650-700 applicants.

Good luck to all those applying this cycle!
Here is a message higher up the thread about last years cycle

Anyone IS that hasn't received a secondary? My AMCAS was verified 7/24

anyone know what they are doing for the interview format this year? I can't seem to find information about it.

Sure --- What's the area around the school like ? Nice ? Blighted ? Lively ? Boring ?

Sure --- What's the area around the school like ? Nice ? Blighted ? Lively ? Boring ?
A majority of students live in the luxury on campus (technically off campus) student housing which is very nice and safe and there’s a couple bars/restaurants downstairs dominated by students. Outside of campus, Aurora is not a great neighborhood. A lot of homelessness, streets in poor quality, I hate to use the word ghetto but it’s what you’d picture when you hear it. There’s old buildings, suspicious strip clubs, what i assume are prostitutes occasionally. You can still find your grocery store and restaurant chains. Some students live in farther nearby areas and commute/bike to campus. If you can handle paying for school parking and driving 15 mins, potentially saving on rent, it’s a valid option