2020-2021 Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question-- Colorado is my top choice but since they don't accept LOIs, I'm tempted to send an LOI to another school in order to increase my chances of getting off other waitlists. Is anyone else in this position or has any insight into this??

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question-- Colorado is my top choice but since they don't accept LOIs, I'm tempted to send an LOI to another school in order to increase my chances of getting off other waitlists. Is anyone else in this position or has any insight into this??
So, you can only send one letter of intent to a school - and it's bounded by your honor and integrity. You can, however, send multiple letters of interest. Just know that, if you send a letter of intent to a different school, even if you get off the waitlist at Colorado, you have to honor your letter of intent to the other school (if you get into that one too). Essentially, you have to think carefully about which school to send it to that you know you will follow through with the letter.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Based on my email (middle tier) they often accept from the middle tier, so that leads me to believe your chances are good.
Not as many people got off the WL last year (2019-2020) as compared with the 2018-2019 WL. A good friend of mine is finishing is first year at CU and he said they ended up going with a class size of 160-165 last year instead of the normal 180. He did not say why, but it may have been due to right sizing for anatomy lab due to COVID.

Not as many people got off the WL last year (2019-2020) as compared with the 2018-2019 WL. A good friend of mine is finishing is first year at CU and he said they ended up going with a class size of 160-165 last year instead of the normal 180. He did not say why, but it may have been due to right sizing for anatomy lab due to COVID.
Do we know if they've gone back/are planning on going back to normal capacity this upcoming year?

considering withdrawing my A due to the new curriculum and worried that it will have growing pains....

bc it seems like then trying to phase certain things in lead to the name and shame of the last year...

anyone in a similar position ?

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew my A, OOS
Good luck to all!

Reactions: 3 users
considering withdrawing my A due to the new curriculum and worried that it will have growing pains....

bc it seems like then trying to phase certain things in lead to the name and shame of the last year...

anyone in a similar position ?
I'm currently on the high priority wait-list, but CU is probably my top choice and I'm hoping I get off. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a little concerned about the curriculum reform though. When I go to the schools website they don't really give much information about the new curriculum. Just a rough timeline. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I don't see anything about specific courses, clinical skills stuff, etc. Just a very rough timeline.

I know they went in to a bit more detail during the interview day, but I've forgotten a lot of what they said tbh. Did they go into more detail during second look day?

Members don't see this ad :)
this is what was shared during second look @Maybedoc1
1619567832524.png

this is what was shared during second look @Maybedoc1
View attachment 335702
Ah thank you! How much of this is mandatory? I'm guessing the clinical skills/preceptorship/service learning?

Again I wish this was on their website tbh. They're a well regarded USMD school so I know that they'll figure it all out, but it would be nice if it was a bit clearer online.

Last edited:
Ah thank you! How much of this was required? I'm guessing the clinical skills/preceptorship/service learning?

Again I wish this was on their website tbh. They're a well regarded USMD school so I know that they'll figure it all out, but it would be nice if it was a bit clearer online.
monday afternoon block is anatomy, tuesday half the class has clinical skills in the afternoon (the other half has it wednesday morning), wednesday everyone has IPE and health in society in the afternoon, thursday afternoon is TBL (no new info just reviewing what you've done this week already), and friday morning you have a weekly exam and patient presentation until 12. you have two half days that are unstructured (thursday morning and friday afternoon). starting in week 6 you begin preceptorship which will be a half day a week (so whenever you DON'T have clinical skills)

so basically almost all of it is mandatory stuff

Ah thank you! How much of this is mandatory? I'm guessing the clinical skills/preceptorship/service learning?

I suggested reaching o it to admissions if you really want to know. They have more that isn’t online and has been shared with students via email

Hi everyone!
Got the top tier waitlist email so hoping that we all see some movement next week? Might be a little too eager to hope for that though. Just wondering if anyone knows if they will call or email if/when they reach out regarding acceptances off the waitlist?

Colorado doesn't accept only letters of intent? Or does that also apply to letters of interest/updates post-waitlist?

Reactions: 1 users
Colorado doesn't accept only letters of intent? Or does that also apply to letters of interest/updates post-waitlist?
They don't accept anything. Letters of intent, letters of interest, or updates. I called and asked and they said they don't accept anything. They said if a space opens up and you're next on the list you'll get an email ASAP

They don't accept anything. Letters of intent, letters of interest, or updates. I called and asked and they said they don't accept anything. They said if a space opens up and you're next on the list you'll get an email ASAP
Thanks for calling them. Did they mention anything about when they expect to start calling or if they expect to many few/many calls? Any little tid bit of hope for us WLers to grab? :p

Thanks for calling them. Did they mention anything about when they expect to start calling or if they expect to many few/many calls? Any little tid bit of hope for us WLers to grab? :p
Lol no :( I only called because I really wish I could send them an LOI haha and then once they told me they'd email if a spot opens up i just said ok thanks bye!

Lol no :( I only called because I really wish I could send them an LOI haha and then once they told me they'd email if a spot opens up i just said ok thanks bye!
I guess waitlisters don’t rate a call from Dean SooHoo for the good news, just a piddly email 😂

But seriously I would love to get that email. 🤞

My heart will literally leap out of my chest if I get that email. One more day everybody. I hope we’re all classmates together.

Reactions: 4 users
do we think today is the day they’ll start taking people off the WL or next week?
Ooh gosh, I wish. However, looking at previous years' threads for various schools, it looks like they start in the first week of May after they've got a chance to review the class list?

Reactions: 2 users
Lol I wish today was Thursday and May 1st landed on a Friday

monday afternoon block is anatomy, tuesday half the class has clinical skills in the afternoon (the other half has it wednesday morning), wednesday everyone has IPE and health in society in the afternoon, thursday afternoon is TBL (no new info just reviewing what you've done this week already), and friday morning you have a weekly exam and patient presentation until 12. you have two half days that are unstructured (thursday morning and friday afternoon). starting in week 6 you begin preceptorship which will be a half day a week (so whenever you DON'T have clinical skills)

so basically almost all of it is mandatory stuff
Thanks for the detailed explanation! That's definitely a lot of extra required things... While I do think that they are all important, I'm worried that it might make the already condensed 1 year preclinical even more stressful/difficult.

During the interview day they mentioned that the preclinical portion wasn't realllllly 1 year and that some of the more difficult concepts would be returned to after the second year longitudinal clerkships. Did they touch on this more by chance?

I suggested reaching o it to admissions if you really want to know. They have more that isn’t online and has been shared with students via email
Oh thanks! I will have to email them and ask. I definitely would like to understand the new curriculum better.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! That's definitely a lot of extra required things... While I do think that they are all important, I'm worried that it might make the already condensed 1 year preclinical even more stressful/difficult.

During the interview day they mentioned that the preclinical portion wasn't realllllly 1 year and that some of the more difficult concepts would be returned to after the second year longitudinal clerkships. Did they touch on this more by chance?
yes the 4 months of advanced science courses after LICs are right before step 1 which is actually nice

yes the 4 months of advanced science courses after LICs are right before step 1 which is actually nice
Ah that's great actually. What are these courses again? I believe one was something to do with cancer and immunology I want to say?

for those that withdrew- is there a special location to withdraw or do you just email admissions?

Just withdrew OOS with dean’s scholarship. Good luck to you guys

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I feel like I’m waiting for that post-interview update all over again...the suspense is real

Absolutely. Anyone else checking this page like every 20 minutes?

Reactions: 11 users
Do you think they're waiting until Friday to send out any wl acceptances seeing that's when they send out regular acceptances....

• Hmm
Do you think they're waiting until Friday to send out any wl acceptances seeing that's when they send out regular acceptances....
I had also thought that, but I feel like earlier in the cycle, that may have been due to having the admissions committee meet during the week, and then turning around decisions at the end of the week. Whereas now, they've already built and ranked their waitlist, and informed everyone where they fall on it, and I don't think they have much left to talk about or discuss, so... **what are they waiting for**

EEgrNfpX4AUCl7V.png

GIVE IT UP FOR DAY 5 OF WAITLIST SEASON! DAY 5!

• Love
Is anyone else concerned with the apparent lack of WL movement here last cycle? I'm hoping SDN just wasn't a representative sample.

I was feeling that way, but someone said that they had a smaller class size last year (~160) due to COVID. I think with the vaccines rolling out and the requirement for students to be vaccinated (this is happening at CU Boulder, I’m not certain about CUSOM), I think class size could be back to normal. Perhaps they accept more than 182 this year, because of the drop last year

I was feeling that way, but someone said that they had a smaller class size last year (~160) due to COVID. I think with the vaccines rolling out and the requirement for students to be vaccinated (this is happening at CU Boulder, I’m not certain about CUSOM), I think class size could be back to normal. Perhaps they accept more than 182 this year, because of the drop last year
But potentially wishful thinking lol

Just got the call from Dean SooHoo! I hope others get calls today too, good luck everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
*scene from the office where Michael says “Oh my god, it’s happening!”*

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I’m so glad we’re finally on page 26, my thumb was getting tired of scrolling all the way to the bottom of the 25th page when I refreshed every 2 minutes.. it’s the little things~~

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users