2020-2021 Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im pretty sure what you’re talking about is that schools need to have sent at least as many acceptances as they have seats. So like ~180 for Colorado. According to their tracker they have sent 272 acceptances. I think they normally send around 300 for each total cycle.
Oh sweet that makes me feel better

Members don't see this ad.

Oh sweet that makes me feel better
If I remember correctly, they said results will come out this week or the next week, yes? I know Dean Soohoo stated that he will call those that are accepted. I'm assuming those that are waitlisted or rejected will be receiving an email? Also, this makes me worry that I'll miss the call since there are so many robocalls such that I usually just silence them lol.

If I remember correctly, they said results will come out this week or the next week, yes? I know Dean Soohoo stated that he will call those that are accepted. I'm assuming those that are waitlisted or rejected will be receiving an email? Also, this makes me worry that I'll miss the call since there are so many robocalls such that I usually just silence them lol.
Yep. They said 2-3 weeks but it looks like they've had a 2 week turn around previously this cycle so I'm guessing it will be this week. From what I've read on here all As get a phone call and everyone else gets an email in the following days. Just answer calls from the Denver area code (303 or 720)! I've also read that they will leave a voicemail if you don't answer.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. They said 2-3 weeks but it looks like they've had a 2 week turn around previously this cycle so I'm guessing it will be this week. From what I've read on here all As get a phone call and everyone else gets an email in the following days. Just answer calls from the Denver area code (303 or 720)! I've also read that they will leave a voicemail if you don't answer.
Do they call on any specific days? I was holding off getting weird about this for another week but looks like I can start early 🥲

For the data junkies like me out there, I compiled some info from this forum and here's what I found... there's definitely a trend of Monday and Friday decisions, so I'll let Mondays and Fridays be my anxiety days, lol
Interview dateResultsDays after interview
09/25/20​
10/16/20 (Friday)​
21​
10/09/20​
10/26/20 (Monday)​
17​
10/23/20​
11/06/20 (Friday)​
14​
11/06/20​
11/20/20 (Friday)​
14​
11/20/20​
12/14/20 (Monday)​
24​
12/11/20​
01/08/21 (Friday)​
28​

Edit: "results" meaning acceptance calls, I didn't account for WL and R emails that came in the days after.

Do they call on any specific days? I was holding off getting weird about this for another week but looks like I can start early 🥲
Someone compiled this awhile ago so it looks like Mondays and Fridays.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like usually it has been on Fridays, but that's not a hard and fast rule -- sometimes it ends up being on Mondays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have there been post-II rejections or does everyone who did not make the cut get placed on the alternate list?

Have there been post-II rejections or does everyone who did not make the cut get placed on the alternate list?
Looking back on the thread there seems to have definitely been post-II R's so I think they are selective about their alternate list.

My portal says that my transcripts were submitted but I didn’t do that! Any one else have the same thing happen?

My portal says that my transcripts were submitted but I didn’t do that! Any one else have the same thing happen?
Yep! If you already graduated and didn't have any classes in progress when you submitted your primary application, they don't need you to submit transcripts again. I also thought it was odd and sent Lamar an email to confirm and he said it was correct and I didn't have to submit anything else :) If this situation doesn't apply to you, it might be a good idea to email them!

Yep! If you already graduated and didn't have any classes in progress when you submitted your primary application, they don't need you to submit transcripts again. I also thought it was odd and sent Lamar an email to confirm and he said it was correct and I didn't have to submit anything else :) If this situation doesn't apply to you, it might be a good idea to email them!
Thank you!! This helped a lot.

When do schools typically begin selecting off the waitlist? Is this something that generally occurs after the ranking comes out or could it occur from now until July?

When do schools typically begin selecting off the waitlist? Is this something that generally occurs after the ranking comes out or could it occur from now until July?
Usually late April to the first week of school (orientation week). It honestly just depends on who continues to accept the offer and who decides to choose a different school. That's why there is the CYMS tool from AAMC. It allows students to choose where they want to attend and also informs schools of how many have accepted or rejected their offer. Thus, they can begin to move people off the waitlist.

Did anyone see that MSAR updated the OOS tuition to be $77k? Is that right?

All I see on CU's website is the $66k. Seems like a pretty big jump.

• Wow
Is anyone familiar with residency and veteran status. I notice that CO has a law that essentially says the domicile period is waived for veterans. I used a similar law in VA to get in state tuition by moving a few weeks before classes started for my undergrad. I'm curious if I can just move to CO in May now and petition for in-state.

received my scholarship offer earlier this week! They said they should send out the majority of scholarship packages within the next week or 2

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
received my scholarship offer earlier this week! They said they should send out the majority of scholarship packages within the next week or 2
Does this mean general financial aid packages or just scholarships?

Do you mind sharing the scholarship amount?
It was for half tuition for 4 years! I had a time sensitive circumstance where I needed to hear back with my aid by the end of the week and they were able to let me know which I really appreciated

It was for half tuition for 4 years! I had a time sensitive circumstance where I needed to hear back with my aid by the end of the week and they were able to let me know which I really appreciated
Awesome! congrats

do you mind sharing if it was merit or need based?

Did anyone see that MSAR updated the OOS tuition to be $77k? Is that right?

All I see on CU's website is the $66k. Seems like a pretty big jump.
That MSAR number is incorrect. it is 66K.

Last edited:
I just checked with a good friend of mine who goes there and it is $66K. That MSAR number is incorrect.
That MSAR number might be the official OOS tuition; CU does a weird system where OOS students are labelled "accountable" students, so even if an OOS becomes a CO resident, they don't become "resident" for tuition reasons. "Accountable" students are actually charged about 12k less than the official OOS rate, which they charge you if you end up leaving CU Anschutz for a variety of reasons

Withdrew my A and therefore my scholarship! I hope someone from the WL gets the spot and someone else gets to be served by the scholarship! CU is a great school and Denver is a great city

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
First time posting....hopefully doing this correctly....where are most students living? Would like to be within 5 minutes of the campus but made a visit out this weekend and with the exception of a few high end buildings the immediate area is not so terrific. I really do not want to be a 20 minute drive from campus.

First time posting....hopefully doing this correctly....where are most students living? Would like to be within 5 minutes of the campus but made a visit out this weekend and with the exception of a few high end buildings the immediate area is not so terrific. I really do not want to be a 20 minute drive from campus.
I can try and give some advice regarding this topic -- I've lived in CO for 6 years, and studied and/or worked on campus for the whole time.

You're right that most of the surrounding neighborhoods immediately near the campus aren't amazing. I lived in Aurora my first year in CO, and there were pretty high crime rates, rates of theft, property damage, etc. I lived in an apartment complex about 3 blocks from school when I started graduate school on campus, and I had a classmate who got his car stolen within 3 months of moving in. It's a little cheaper to live in Aurora, and there are some places that are nice-ish, but it definitely comes with some risk with that.

There are a handful of apartment complexes near campus (within 1-2 blocks either north or south of campus), which are nicer, and I do know that a lot of students on campus do live in these apartment buildings, so I would say it is probably nice to be living around focused, like-minded individuals. However, even though those buildings are close to campus, they are still in Aurora, so it's a factor to take into consideration that the places you go for things like grocery shopping, running errands, will still be in that neighborhood. Additionally, those apartment buildings are *P R I C Y*, so definitely a factor to take into consideration as well.

If you go Northwest from campus, you have the Central Park (previously called Stapleton) neighborhood, which is VERY nice. Lots of parks, green areas, walking trails, recreation centers, pools, nice grocery stores, nature preserves, etc. Central Park/Stapleton is very safe, very quiet, and is about 5-8 minutes away from campus. There are a number of apartment complexes scattered throughout the neighborhood, but I will say that housing in this area also tends to be on the -more expensive- side.

Going Southwest from campus, you have a neighborhood that borders Aurora called Lowry, which is also nice (maybe not as nice as Central Park, but still would say is much safer, quieter, and nicer than Aurora). Lowry has a number of apartment complexes, townhomes, and other houses that are a little less expensive but also pretty nice. Lowry also has a lot of parks and green areas, beer gardens, museums, etc. Lowry is probably about 10 minutes away from campus.

Going Northeast from campus, there is a neighborhood that is called Green Valley Ranch. I will say that Green Valley Ranch is like a slightly better version of Aurora (not as nice as Central Park for sure, but still feels much safer and nicer than Aurora). Green Valley Ranch is kind of in between the medical campus and the airport, so you get to school by hopping on the interstate for about 8-12 minutes. Not too far, definitely manageable, but it's not something you could easily walk or bike. Green Valley Ranch is pretty nice, there are some parks and green spaces, some recreation centers, and lots and lots of fast food restaurants. Housing is cheaper in GVR for sure, so if price point is more of an issue, it makes sense to at least check out the apartments, townhomes, and even houses in that neighborhood. I lived in a nice, big house with a few classmates in grad school in this neighborhood, and our rent ended up being about $500/person/month. Not too bad.

Hope that helps! Please feel free to DM me if you need more info! :)

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
how long does it take from time the you release your criminal background check report for the portal to update with the complete check mark for the background check?

how long does it take from time the you release your criminal background check report for the portal to update with the complete check mark for the background check?
Mine took about 3 weeks!

I can try and give some advice regarding this topic -- I've lived in CO for 6 years, and studied and/or worked on campus for the whole time.

You're right that most of the surrounding neighborhoods immediately near the campus aren't amazing. I lived in Aurora my first year in CO, and there were pretty high crime rates, rates of theft, property damage, etc. I lived in an apartment complex about 3 blocks from school when I started graduate school on campus, and I had a classmate who got his car stolen within 3 months of moving in. It's a little cheaper to live in Aurora, and there are some places that are nice-ish, but it definitely comes with some risk with that.

There are a handful of apartment complexes near campus (within 1-2 blocks either north or south of campus), which are nicer, and I do know that a lot of students on campus do live in these apartment buildings, so I would say it is probably nice to be living around focused, like-minded individuals. However, even though those buildings are close to campus, they are still in Aurora, so it's a factor to take into consideration that the places you go for things like grocery shopping, running errands, will still be in that neighborhood. Additionally, those apartment buildings are *P R I C Y*, so definitely a factor to take into consideration as well.

If you go Northwest from campus, you have the Central Park (previously called Stapleton) neighborhood, which is VERY nice. Lots of parks, green areas, walking trails, recreation centers, pools, nice grocery stores, nature preserves, etc. Central Park/Stapleton is very safe, very quiet, and is about 5-8 minutes away from campus. There are a number of apartment complexes scattered throughout the neighborhood, but I will say that housing in this area also tends to be on the -more expensive- side.

Going Southwest from campus, you have a neighborhood that borders Aurora called Lowry, which is also nice (maybe not as nice as Central Park, but still would say is much safer, quieter, and nicer than Aurora). Lowry has a number of apartment complexes, townhomes, and other houses that are a little less expensive but also pretty nice. Lowry also has a lot of parks and green areas, beer gardens, museums, etc. Lowry is probably about 10 minutes away from campus.

Going Northeast from campus, there is a neighborhood that is called Green Valley Ranch. I will say that Green Valley Ranch is like a slightly better version of Aurora (not as nice as Central Park for sure, but still feels much safer and nicer than Aurora). Green Valley Ranch is kind of in between the medical campus and the airport, so you get to school by hopping on the interstate for about 8-12 minutes. Not too far, definitely manageable, but it's not something you could easily walk or bike. Green Valley Ranch is pretty nice, there are some parks and green spaces, some recreation centers, and lots and lots of fast food restaurants. Housing is cheaper in GVR for sure, so if price point is more of an issue, it makes sense to at least check out the apartments, townhomes, and even houses in that neighborhood. I lived in a nice, big house with a few classmates in grad school in this neighborhood, and our rent ended up being about $500/person/month. Not too bad.

Hope that helps! Please feel free to DM me if you need more info! :)
Thank you for your thorough post . I appreciate your time to answer .

Does anyone know how the alternate list works with respect to the Fort Collins branch, which I know will only have 12 students? If a FCB student ends up declining their acceptance, how would they fill that spot? From students who already have acceptances who indicated an interest in the FCB, or from the alternate list?

Basically should I assume that the only acceptances offered to those on the alternate list will be for the main campus?

Last edited:
Basically should I assume that the only acceptances offered to those on the alternate list will be for the main campus?
I think this is probably a safe assumption. This is probably not a hard rule but rather just how it works out because I am sure the FCB be full by the time a lot of alternate people are contacted.

But, if you want to know for sure, there is no better people to ask than the admissions office. They respond really fast.

Hi! When are we expecting alternative list movement/any more communication from the admissions team?

Hi! When are we expecting alternative list movement/any more communication from the admissions team?
Last year the waitlist ranking (3 tiers I think) was emailed to people around April 22nd/23rd and people started getting pulled off the waitlist after that.

• Care
Received the leadership scholarship, grateful for the award but is not significant at all as OOS.

Withdrew my acceptance. Beat of luck y’all, especially those in the waitlist!

Reactions: 10 users