2020-2021 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For success meeting, is it just on the phone? Not zoom, right? Also, do I need to have my laptop and info available? Thanks!

For success meeting, is it just on the phone? Not zoom, right? Also, do I need to have my laptop and info available? Thanks!
yeah, it's just a phone call. they will just talk to you about any outstanding requirements prior to matriculation. mine took like 10 minutes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have my info session on Monday, any tips?
Dress like you would a normal interview and be authentic, the whole experience is only an hour and is super laid back. If you're going to ask a question, give it a bit of thought. Some of the people in my group asked questions that are readily available on the DMU website. I don't think the session will hurt/help applications a great deal regardless, but if I was an adcom, that would irk me.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Just got an II!!! MY FIRST ONE (this cycle has been rough lol)!!! :D I'm so happy!!

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
Should we be calculating expected time to hear from the interview or from the group session date?
I believe the group session since you can’t register for it until you do the KIRA. The group session is the last activity before they render a decision, which is supposedly 4-6 weeks after the group session.

Congrats to those who got interviews!! Would you mind sharing stats/when you were complete?

got an II last night! Complete 8/13 and called them earlier this week asking about the status of my app since it has been way over 90 days

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I got the complete 8/13 email but they got my second MCAT score 9/22 and notified me that they received my CASPer score on 9/22 as well (even though I took it in like May). LM 62, OOS, URM, reapplicant, non-trad

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those who got interviews!! Would you mind sharing stats/when you were complete?
Completed 9/30/20 but i had to send a correction as I mistakenly listed an AP credit as a prereq (i had the right credit, just forgot to put it down). Correction was issued on 10/20/20. II recieved 11/16. Kira interview completed 11/23/20. Info session 12/7 (feels weird it being so far out from interview but work kind of got in the way).

MCAT 511

CASPER: Got added to the pilot service where they give you a percentile. Mine was 50th-75th percentile.

Non-traditional but first time applying at DMU (Not accepted in the last 2 cycles with significant application improvements since)

GPA: 3.6

Significant life experiences (Grew up in poverty, homeless at 18, cancer survivor)

1500+ hours of medical scribing with travel work and managerial work, 100+ volunteer hours at the Red Cross

I think I bombed the KIRA interview, especially because my hair tie broke right before the video last section and was a mess as a result.

I’m OOS with little in state ties.

Not exactly URM based on AACOMAS standards but I am transgender. So there’s that.

Should add: 4th interview so far. Rejected by one, Hold on two others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How long did it take you all to hear back from DMU to schedule the group information session after completing the kira assessment?

How long did it take you all to hear back from DMU to schedule the group information session after completing the kira assessment?

I got it the same day but I believe they said about a week after completing the KIRA

it took like 5 days for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also in the 11/13 info session and have not heard back either! Hopefully next week!
A little update for ya: I called admissions about something else but the lady I was talking to was nice so I asked when we should hear. She told me that it could be today but likely next Monday. Cheers!

• Care
Just got the acceptance text, virtual info session was on 11/9.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
What was your group interview date?

Also do you all think it'll hurt to email/ask if we can hear back earlier...

I've been pushing back a really good job offer for the past month, and have to decide by the end of this week whether or not to take it - but it's a 1+ year committment job and I'd only take it if I don't get an acceptance from DMU (one of the few schools I applied to) sigh. This rolling admissions and not knowing when we'll hear back is making life slightly difficult. I wonder if it'll be too big of a risk asking the adcoms for my decision earlier (it's been 4 weeks)

I think I have an average chance of getting accepted, 510 mcat 3.65 gpa and from top20 undergrad school with several gap years, but then again no one knows what'll happen and if I get rejected, I really need a stable job for my family

tldr has anyone asked for an expedited admission result post 3 week mark, and will it be a disaster if I do
So idk if this will be helpful but I just had my info session today, and they said that my info session will be hearing back by the week of December 21st, so if you interviewed four weeks ago you should be hearing back any day now I would assume!

Acceptance text earlier today! KIRA completed on 11/02 and 11/12 info session.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
What was your group interview date?

Also do you all think it'll hurt to email/ask if we can hear back earlier...

I've been pushing back a really good job offer for the past month, and have to decide by the end of this week whether or not to take it - but it's a 1+ year committment job and I'd only take it if I don't get an acceptance from DMU (one of the few schools I applied to) sigh. This rolling admissions and not knowing when we'll hear back is making life slightly difficult. I wonder if it'll be too big of a risk asking the adcoms for my decision earlier (it's been 4 weeks)

I think I have an average chance of getting accepted, 510 mcat 3.65 gpa and from top20 undergrad school with several gap years, but then again no one knows what'll happen and if I get rejected, I really need a stable job for my family

tldr has anyone asked for an expedited admission result post 3 week mark, and will it be a disaster if I do
I cant imagine that it would be a disaster. You have a really valid point for wanting to know. I would call and ask. Worst thing that can happen is that they say no to telling you earlier. I doubt that would affect your actual decision

Sorry- to answer your question my info session date was 11/13

Completed 9/30/20 but i had to send a correction as I mistakenly listed an AP credit as a prereq (i had the right credit, just forgot to put it down). Correction was issued on 10/20/20. II recieved 11/16. Kira interview completed 11/23/20. Info session 12/7 (feels weird it being so far out from interview but work kind of got in the way).

MCAT 511

CASPER: Got added to the pilot service where they give you a percentile. Mine was 50th-75th percentile.

Non-traditional but first time applying at DMU (Not accepted in the last 2 cycles with significant application improvements since)

Significant life experiences (Grew up in poverty, homeless at 18, cancer survivor)

1500+ hours of medical scribing with travel work and managerial work, 100+ volunteer hours at the Red Cross

I think I bombed the KIRA interview, especially because my hair tie broke right before the video last section and was a mess as a result.

Not exactly URM based on AACOMAS standards but I am transgender. So there’s that.

Surprised no one has asked you this yet lol but what is the CASPer pilot service?

Surprised no one has asked you this yet lol but what is the CASPer pilot service?

Some folks got to see how well they scored against other Casper ( ex. 70th percentile) Only a select few got to see however I believe.

Hello everyone,
Is there a current DMU student I could talk to and ask some questions please?

Some folks got to see how well they scored against other Casper ( ex. 70th percentile) Only a select few got to see however I believe.
This is correct. I was one of the lucky few to find out that I was average or slightly above average at dealing with other humans.

Got the acceptance text yesterday!
II 10/29, KIRA completed 11/5, group session 11/12, accepted 12/7.
Good luck to everyone in the process!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Anyone with a recent acceptance having difficulties signing up for the VirtYOUal Visit Day? I get a message saying the registration is closed.

Anyone with a recent acceptance having difficulties signing up for the VirtYOUal Visit Day? I get a message saying the registration is closed.
Got this too. I sent them an email a few hours ago, but I assume there will be registration dates in the future.

This may have already been asked but when they say the KIRA assessment has two written questions does that mean the questions are written out or does that mean you have to type your answer?

This may have already been asked but when they say the KIRA assessment has two written questions does that mean the questions are written out or does that mean you have to type your answer?

For the written questions you have to type your answer!

MCAT 511

Rooting for you! The info session is really chill so don’t stress!!

Hi guys, any last minute (and not too much disclosing) advice for someone taking their Kira tomorrow aka me? :) super nervous and really wanna rock it!

Hi guys, any last minute (and not too much disclosing) advice for someone taking their Kira tomorrow aka me? :) super nervous and really wanna rock it!
The practice questions were helpful in knowing what the timing would be like! Other than that just relax and be yourself :)

Oh ok, just to clarify you mean the ones on the Kira website?
When you get the email for the KIRA assessment part of the check-in process is doing practice questions, and you can repeat the practice questions as many times as you want.

Do y'all think the chances of getting off the waitlist this cycle is possible?

• Care