2020-2021 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Duke University

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated. (500 words)

Optional stuff on gender, sexuality, race, etc.

If one of the above identities do not best describe you, then what identity do you feel most comfortable with?(optional)
I self-identify as... (50 words)

In addition to the broad categorization of race, ethnicity, geographic origin, socioeconomic status as provided through your AMCAS application, you may use the text box below to provide additional clarifying information that may reflect the impact of any of these parameters on your development thus far as well as the impact that these may have had on your path to a career in medicine and your plans for the future. (optional) (200 words)

MD essays:

Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself. What does advocacy mean to you and how has your advocacy developed? What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate? (400 words)

Success can arise from failure. What have you gained from your failed experiences and how does this translate in your current way of thinking? (400 words)

What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients? (400 words)

Leadership, teamwork, and communication operate synergistically. What do you value most as a leader and member of a team? What attributes do you possess as a leader and how will you apply them every day? (400 words)

Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience either enhances or perfects critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. Why is research or critical thinking important to your future career? (400 words)

Describe your understanding of race and its relationship to inequities in health and health care? (400 words)

How has the COVID-19 pandemic influenced your journey to medical school? Have these events changed your outlook on medicine’s role in society? (400 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused by Duke's "coursework expectations" It says that the courses are not required, but goes on to list some of them as "expected" or terms that make me think they are? Just curious because in my case I never took a formal sociology course though I took a social and political philosophy course and a couple seminars (p/f though) that covered healthcare disparity and delivery. Just trying to get a gauge on if this could hurt my app/prevent an acceptance to them or not.
thanks!

I'm a little confused by Duke's "coursework expectations" It says that the courses are not required, but goes on to list some of them as "expected" or terms that make me think they are? Just curious because in my case I never took a formal sociology course though I took a social and political philosophy course and a couple seminars (p/f though) that covered healthcare disparity and delivery. Just trying to get a gauge on if this could hurt my app/prevent an acceptance to them or not.
thanks!
Incoming Duke student here, I never took a sociology course either and it didn't hurt my application!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about responding to Duke's secondary prompts: Would it be weird answer a prompt with multiple questions in a different order?

I'm referring to the prompt last year "Describe the community in which you were nurtured. What core values did you receive and how will these translate into the contributions you hope to make in medicine? What improvements do you think might make the community better?"

Do I have to write about community + core values -> contributions to future -> improvements, or can I change the order to community + core values -> improvements -> contributions to future.

Sorry if this question seems nitpicky, I just want to make sure I'm answering the question best as possible.

Does anyone know if previous years' PCLT prompts are posted anywhere?

Reactions: 1 user
I have a question about responding to Duke's secondary prompts: Would it be weird answer a prompt with multiple questions in a different order?

I'm referring to the prompt last year "Describe the community in which you were nurtured. What core values did you receive and how will these translate into the contributions you hope to make in medicine? What improvements do you think might make the community better?"

Do I have to write about community + core values -> contributions to future -> improvements, or can I change the order to community + core values -> improvements -> contributions to future.

Sorry if this question seems nitpicky, I just want to make sure I'm answering the question best as possible.
The order you respond does not matter. They want a cohesive essay that addresses those questions, not a bulleted list.

Has anyone received a secondary yet that could post the prompts?

Has anyone received a secondary yet that could post the prompts?
Have people received the secondary? On the advisor report, it says they're reviewing applications starting Aug 14.

Have people received the secondary? On the advisor report, it says they're reviewing applications starting Aug 14.
I thought reviewing applications means the primary + the secondary, no? I'd assume the secondary app to come out sometime in the next few weeks. Where can I go to look at the advisor report?

I thought reviewing applications means the primary + the secondary, no? I'd assume the secondary app to come out sometime in the next few weeks. Where can I go to look at the advisor report?

Click on the link for "Primary Application Information". I'm pretty sure it's for primary, not secondary review based on the file organization. Also because tons of dates are July 10th, and there's no way they can review primary + secondary by the first day, so it's probably just primary review

Last edited:

Click on the link for "Primary Application Information". I'm pretty sure it's for primary, not secondary review based on the file organization. Also because tons of dates are July 10th, and there's no way they can review primary + secondary by the first day, so it's probably just primary review
Oh wow I didn't know this existed. Thank you so much!

I clicked on their secondary application URL link, which is posted on the "Admissions Process" > "Application" page of the website - Application | Duke School of Medicine.

The application portal states "Application will be open July 27th 2020".

So we can probably expect emails from admissions inviting us to do secondaries around then!

Reactions: 12 users
Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
chances they change up the secondary q's this year? was working on pre-writing them today then thought to look at previous years questions and it seems like they like to change it up a little.

chances they change up the secondary q's this year? was working on pre-writing them today then thought to look at previous years questions and it seems like they like to change it up a little.

I pre-wrote (kind of impossible to turn it around in the timeframe if you don't, imo) but didn't edit or polish. They do seem to like adding new twists and I don't want all that work to go to waste.

I talked to the admissions committee earlier in the cycle (I'm a reapplicant) and they said that they will be changing them. That being said they might not all be different.

• Angry
I talked to the admissions committee earlier in the cycle (I'm a reapplicant) and they said that they will be changing them. That being said they might not all be different.

C'mon, Duke. Read the room. And by the room, I mean the planet. No one needs this right now

Reactions: 3 users

Good thing my ScribeAmerica job is delayed indefinitely; plenty of time to churn out another 10 billion Duke essays

No one:
DUKE: We should change the essays during one of the most unstable times in recent years! The students will love it!

Reactions: 1 users
3Hw6dg.gif

Has anybody gotten a secondary yet? It so, could you post the prompts?

Secondary received OOS

received OOS

Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself. What does advocacy mean to you and how has your advocacy developed? What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate?

Success can arise from failure. What have you gained from your failed experiences and how does this translate in your current way of thinking?

What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients?

Leadership, teamwork, and communication operate synergistically. What do you value most as a leader and member of a team? What attributes do you possess as a leader and how will you apply them every day?

Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience either enhances or perfects critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. Why is research or critical thinking important to your future career?

Describe your understanding of race and its relationship to inequities in health and health care?

How has the COVID-19 pandemic influenced your journey to medical school? Have these events changed your outlook on medicine’s role in society?

MD prompts, all 400 words

Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated. (500 words)

Optional stuff on gender, sexuality, race, etc.

If one of the above identities do not best describe you, then what identity do you feel most comfortable with?(optional)
I self-identify as... (50 words)

In addition to the broad categorization of race, ethnicity, geographic origin, socioeconomic status as provided through your AMCAS application, you may use the text box below to provide additional clarifying information that may reflect the impact of any of these parameters on your development thus far as well as the impact that these may have had on your path to a career in medicine and your plans for the future. (optional) (200 words)

MD essays:

Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself. What does advocacy mean to you and how has your advocacy developed? What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate? (400 words)

Success can arise from failure. What have you gained from your failed experiences and how does this translate in your current way of thinking? (400 words)

What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients? (400 words)

Leadership, teamwork, and communication operate synergistically. What do you value most as a leader and member of a team? What attributes do you possess as a leader and how will you apply them every day? (400 words)

Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience either enhances or perfects critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. Why is research or critical thinking important to your future career? (400 words)

Describe your understanding of race and its relationship to inequities in health and health care? (400 words)

How has the COVID-19 pandemic influenced your journey to medical school? Have these events changed your outlook on medicine’s role in society? (400 words)

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know how hard they are on their "recommended" courses? It says they aren't required but seem very heavily recommended. Couldn't find info in last year's thread. In my case, I did not take a statistics course but I am well-versed in stats so felt dumb to take the course. I have used R for stat analysis in research but don't have a course to attach that to.

Do you think I can use my intro to bio course for their "cellular biology" course?

FYI, per MSAR, Duke's application review does not begin until August 14.

Would it be better to report an exempted stat course bc of AP credits or an actual business stat course that I took? My only hesitancy with the one I took is that it's business stats and not biostats

Yeah, I figured. It is just odd because I have many advanced biology courses but not specifically "Cellular Biology"
They say that courses like Molecular Biology or Genetics can count for it

They say that courses like Molecular Biology or Genetics can count for it
Okay, that would be awesome. Thank you! I emailed them before I saw this to verify what can count as cellular biology, so I'll update this when they reply.

Is anyone having trouble activating their application? It keeps telling me there was an issue with the data I submitted but there's not...

Would it be better to report an exempted stat course bc of AP credits or an actual business stat course that I took? My only hesitancy with the one I took is that it's business stats and not biostats
I would go with the actual business stat course because you have a grade to show for it

For this question:

Success can arise from failure. What have you gained from your failed experiences and how does this translate in your current way of thinking?

Do you recommend discussing a specific failure or failed experiences in general? The way the question is worded, I’m leaning towards the latter. Naturally, I’d have to incorporate a few examples.

Okay, that would be awesome. Thank you! I emailed them before I saw this to verify what can count as cellular biology, so I'll update this when they reply.
They said that they no longer require specific courses, and the choice of appropriate courses is up to you. So, I think there is a lot of flexibility in the course "requirements"

Secondary received. International (Canadian). In spam folder. Anybody's email has words all crossed out like this?

1595887036823.png

Last edited:
Are y'all gonna try to talk about how COVID has affected your activities and how it has affected your view of medicine? Or do you think it's more focused on the latter?

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 3.36.22 PM.png

Ok... so does this mean they don't consider the MCAT at all when selecting people for interview invites??? So MCAT is blinded to the admissions committee? Or does this just mean that if you don't have an MCAT, they will still consider you for an interview. But if you have the MCAT they will look at it still??? Sorry for the silly question. Just a bit confused on if MCAT will be considered. (Because if MCAT is not considered, then I wont be submitting due to weak GPA. I need my MCAT to offset my GPA.)

Any tips on the "tell us more about you question"? That second sentence is really confusing to me

Any tips on the "tell us more about you question"? That second sentence is really confusing to me

I think it's a veiled diversity prompt.

Edit: and yes, the whole prompt sounds like it was written by a neural net; the phrasing is very weird

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users