2021-2022 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @mistybay for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Duke Secondary Essay Prompts:
1. Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated. (500 words)

2. Describe a situation in which you chose to advocate for someone who was different from you or for a cause or idea that was different from yours. Define advocacy as you view it. What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate? (400 words)

3. Not achieving a goal or one’s desire can sometimes be disheartening. What have you learned/gained from your setbacks and disappointments and how does this translate to your current way of thinking? (400 words)

4. What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients? (400 words)

5. Leadership, teamwork, and communication flow synergistically. What do you value most as a leader and as a contributor? What attributes do you possess as a leader and as a team member and how do you apply them on a daily basis? (400 words)

6. Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience enhances critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. How will critical thinking be important in your future career? (400 words)

7. Potential sources of health inequities include race, gender, education, income, disability, geographic location, and sexual orientation. Moments to Movement (M2M) is Duke’s collective stand against systemic racism and injustice. The name signifies going beyond passive moments of reflection and becoming more active as we build to make lasting change for our patients, their loved ones and each other. Describe your understanding of race and its relationship to inequities in health and health care. (400 words)

8. How has the COVID-19 pandemic influenced your journey to medical school? Have these events changed your outlook on medicine’s role in society? (400 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does Duke recycle essays every year? I know this one is a doozy and want to get a head start on it.

also, this is the first comment on the 2021-2022 school specific threads. It came so fast.

Reactions: 2 users
I think last year's cycle (omg last year, this goes by fast!) essays were all the same but one or two. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend to write Duke first. I got LOTS of writing material out of Duke's secondary.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone considering applying, here's the previous cycle's secondary questions: (Moderator note: see this year's questions in first post, prompts are similar but with some wording changes)
  • Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated. 500 words.
  • Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself. What does advocacy mean to you and how has your advocacy developed? What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate? 400 words.
  • Success can arise from failure. What have you gained from your failed experiences and how does this translate in your current way of thinking? 400 words.
  • What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients? 400 words.
  • Leadership, teamwork, and communication operate synergistically. What do you value most as a leader and member of a team? What attributes do you possess as a leader and how will you apply them every day? 400 words.
  • Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience either enhances or perfects critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. Why is research or critical thinking important to your future career? 400 words.
  • Describe your understanding of race and its relationship to inequities in health and health care. 400 words.
  • How has the COVID-19 pandemic influenced your journey to medical school? Have these events changed your outlook on medicine’s role in society? 400 words.
  • Please let us know of any additional information that you would like us to consider while reviewing your application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
For everyone considering applying, here's the previous cycle's secondary questions:
  • Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated. 500 words.
  • Describe a situation where you have chosen to advocate for someone who is different from yourself. What does advocacy mean to you and how has your advocacy developed? What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate? 400 words.
  • Success can arise from failure. What have you gained from your failed experiences and how does this translate in your current way of thinking? 400 words.
  • What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients? 400 words.
  • Leadership, teamwork, and communication operate synergistically. What do you value most as a leader and member of a team? What attributes do you possess as a leader and how will you apply them every day? 400 words.
  • Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience either enhances or perfects critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. Why is research or critical thinking important to your future career? 400 words.
  • Describe your understanding of race and its relationship to inequities in health and health care. 400 words.
  • How has the COVID-19 pandemic influenced your journey to medical school? Have these events changed your outlook on medicine’s role in society? 400 words.
  • Please let us know of any additional information that you would like us to consider while reviewing your application.
Goddamn Duke chill

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend to write Duke first.
BEST ADVICE EVER! I was initially doing secondaries based on my school preferences until I saw this! Gave me so much material to use elsewhere.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when Duke sends out secondaries? I am wondering if they mean to say secondaries are sent out the last week of June instead of July? Their website is a bit confusing with the following information:

June 25:​

• AMCAS releases new applications.

July until October 15, 2021 (11:59 PM EST):​

• Duke receives completed and verified AMCAS applications.
  • The last week of July Duke sends invitations to complete the DukeMed Supplemental Application.

2nd week of July until November 15, 2020 (11:59 PM EST):​

• Duke receives DukeMed Supplementary Applications.*
  • Duke University School of Medicine screeners review applications.
  • Qualified applicants are invited to interview with Duke. Invitations to interview will be sent starting late August until early January 2022.

Does anyone know when Duke sends out secondaries? I am wondering if they mean to say secondaries are sent out the last week of June instead of July? Their website is a bit confusing with the following information:

• The last week of July Duke sends invitations to complete the DukeMed Supplemental Application.

• Qualified applicants are invited to interview with Duke. Invitations to interview will be sent starting late August until early January 2022.
I believe it’s sometime in mid to late July but I could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

Well, their timeline specifies July through October. And that they will send them out the last week of July. Given that they say they will send them out the last week of July, I would be inclined to believe that’s the last week of July. I would not expect the secondary this week

• Haha
Well, their timeline specifies July through October. And that they will send them out the last week of July. Given that they say they will send them out the last week of July, I would be inclined to believe that’s the last week of July. I would not expect the secondary this week
Right, but they also say they will receive and screen applications beginning the second week of July! Hence, the confusion!! :) Plus, if AMCAS releases applications on 6/25, why would Duke not receive them until July? They might or might not send out secondaries in the next few days, but there is no way they are going to wait a month if they are not prescreening.

Right, but they also say they will receive and screen applications beginning the second week of July! Hence, the confusion!! :) Plus, if AMCAS releases applications on 6/25, why would Duke not receive them until July? They might or might not send out secondaries in the next few days, but there is no way they are going to wait a month if they are not prescreening.
They say they receive the applications. They likely do not turn on their system until July given their wording. And they won’t send secondaries this week - they specifically say they will in the last week of July.

They say they receive the applications. They likely do not turn on their system until July given their wording. And they won’t send secondaries this week - they specifically say they will in the last week of July.
I know, but they also specifically say they will begin to receive and review secondaries in the second week of July. One or the other is a typo. I'm betting on the end of July being the typo. I think the last week of July should be the last week of June, since I KNOW they began to receive completed and verified primaries last Friday, NOT the end of July! We'll see! :)

Last edited:
I know, but they also specifically say they will begin to receive and review secondaries in the second week of July. One or the other is a typo. I'm betting on the end of July being the typo. I think the last week of July should be the last week of June., since I KNOW they began to receive primaries on Friday, NOT the end of July! We'll see! :)
I totally missed that portion. Yeah, I am confused now too, apologies for my stubborned ignorance! I would bet the first July is a typo then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know, but they also specifically say they will begin to receive and review secondaries in the second week of July. One or the other is a typo. I'm betting on the end of July being the typo. I think the last week of July should be the last week of June., since I KNOW they began to receive completed and verified primaries last Friday, NOT the end of July! We'll see! :)
I remember reading on an older thread that they did not receive the secondaries until 7/22 in 2020 but I could be wrong.

I remember reading on an older thread that they did not receive the secondaries until 7/22 in 2020 but I could be wrong.
I guess we'll see. The point is that they cannot receive and review secondaries beginning in the second week of July if they do not send them out until the fourth week!

2020 was different due to the pandemic. They did not receive the first primaries until 7/10 last cycle. Unless they are prescreening, there is no reason for them to delay their own process for a month by holding secondaries until the end of July.

Reactions: 3 users
I guess we'll see. The point is that they cannot receive and review secondaries beginning in the second week of July if they do not send them out until the fourth week!

2020 was different due to the pandemic. They did not receive the first primaries until 7/10 last cycle. Unless they are prescreening, there is no reason for them to delay their own process for a month by holding secondaries until the end of July.
Dang bro, you're so incredibly active on this forum, even across multiple years. Good for you.

• Haha
Dang bro, you're so incredibly active on this forum, even across multiple years. Good for you.
This is my year (hopefully!). Looks like I was wrong about them reviewing secondaries the second week of July! :)

Secondaries should be sent out tomorrow!

[edit] also I made a secondary tracker at the beginning of cycle using info from schools + MSAR. I forgot that I even did this lol. I have Duke’s primary app review beginning on July 19th and first interview invite being sent out August 15th. This could’ve changed though!

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Secondaries should be sent out tomorrow!

also I made a secondary tracker at the beginning of cycle using info from schools + MSAR. I forgot that I even did this lol. I have Duke’s primary app review beginning on July 19th and first interview invite being sent out August 15th. This could’ve changed though!
I guess I wasn't wrong after all, assuming 7/15 counts as the second week of July! :)

OOS received secondary

Edit for Prompts:
Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated. (500 words)

Describe a situation in which you chose to advocate for someone who was different from you or for a cause or idea that was different from yours. Define advocacy as you view it. What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate? (400 words)

Not achieving a goal or one’s desire can sometimes be disheartening. What have you learned/gained from your setbacks and disappointments and how does this translate to your current way of thinking? (400 words)

What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients? (400 words)

Leadership, teamwork, and communication flow synergistically. What do you value most as a leader and as a contributor? What attributes do you possess as a leader and as a team member and how do you apply them on a daily basis? (400 words)

Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience enhances critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. How will critical thinking be important in your future career? (400 words)

Potential sources of health inequities include race, gender, education, income, disability, geographic location, and sexual orientation. Moments to Movement (M2M) is Duke’s collective stand against systemic racism and injustice. The name signifies going beyond passive moments of reflection and becoming more active as we build to make lasting change for our patients, their loved ones and each other. Describe your understanding of race and its relationship to inequities in health and health care. (400 words)

How has the COVID-19 pandemic influenced your journey to medical school? Have these events changed your outlook on medicine’s role in society? (400 words)

Last edited:
The Duke secondary email says:

Applications will be screened this year without MCAT score and considered for interview. Applicants must have a MCAT score posted to their application in order to be considered for acceptance, however.
Does that mean they don't consider our MCAT at all when deciding who to interview? Or just that if you don't currently have an MCAT on file, they'll still consider you for an interview? Or, thirdly, is this just a platitude to seem extra holistic?

Last edited:
Am I crazy or does the MSTP secondary only have 1 essay question?

The Duke secondary email says:

Does that mean they don't consider our MCAT when deciding who to interview? Or just that if you don't have an MCAT on file, they'll still consider you for an interview? Or, thirdly, is this just a platitude to seem extra holistic?
I'd guess it just means that if you don't have an MCAT on file, they'll still consider you for an interview. Highly doubt that a school like Duke woulld ignore MCAT completely when sending out IIs

Am I crazy or does the MSTP secondary only have 1 essay question?
Nope! I just have this question
Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience enhances critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. How will critical thinking be important in your future career?

I believe in the program selection if you choose MD and MSTP you have to answer all the prompts however

Anyone know if Duke screens for secondaries? Doing my own research I found a reddit post from 2018 saying they do a holistic screen. I'm wondering if anyone knows if they still do that.

Anyone know if Duke screens for secondaries? Doing my own research I found a reddit post from 2018 saying they do a holistic screen. I'm wondering if anyone knows if they still do that.
According to MSAR they do not

OOS received secondary

Edit for Prompts:
Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated. (500 words)

Describe a situation in which you chose to advocate for someone who was different from you or for a cause or idea that was different from yours. Define advocacy as you view it. What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate? (400 words)

Not achieving a goal or one’s desire can sometimes be disheartening. What have you learned/gained from your setbacks and disappointments and how does this translate to your current way of thinking? (400 words)

What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients? (400 words)

Leadership, teamwork, and communication flow synergistically. What do you value most as a leader and as a contributor? What attributes do you possess as a leader and as a team member and how do you apply them on a daily basis? (400 words)

Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience enhances critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. How will critical thinking be important in your future career? (400 words)

Potential sources of health inequities include race, gender, education, income, disability, geographic location, and sexual orientation. Moments to Movement (M2M) is Duke’s collective stand against systemic racism and injustice. The name signifies going beyond passive moments of reflection and becoming more active as we build to make lasting change for our patients, their loved ones and each other. Describe your understanding of race and its relationship to inequities in health and health care. (400 words)

How has the COVID-19 pandemic influenced your journey to medical school? Have these events changed your outlook on medicine’s role in society? (400 words)
For the additional info question, is it fine if we put in a Why Duke essay? Or would a gap year plans essay be fine? I assumed Duke would ask those if they wanted them but also heard of students getting in and they put in a Why Duke essay. Also what’s the word count for the additional info essay?

It only gives one slot to select a Physics course right? Or is there a way to select all Physics

Does a public health course count for the sociology course? I never took a formal sociology course and their website states that a sociology course is “An introduction to the principles of social organization, with particular emphasis on the social determinants of healthcare is expected.”

Does a public health course count for the sociology course? I never took a formal sociology course and their website states that a sociology course is “An introduction to the principles of social organization, with particular emphasis on the social determinants of healthcare is expected.”
Since that same website says none of the courses are required its probably fine

Since that same website says none of the courses are required its probably fine
Thanks! The application made me a little nervous so I was wondering if I should put that there just so I didn’t leave it blank lol

For the additional info question, is it fine if we put in a Why Duke essay? Or would a gap year plans essay be fine? I assumed Duke would ask those if they wanted them but also heard of students getting in and they put in a Why Duke essay. Also what’s the word count for the additional info essay?
The first essay asking for more information about who you are has a 500 word count. To me, reading the prompt, it feels more like a diversity essay.

Would talking about not getting accepted to medical school last cycle be good for the humbling moment or disappointment essays? I'm assuming they already know that I'm a reapplicant, even though I didn't apply to Duke specifically last year. It was definitely among the most humbling and disappointing experiences of my life and I learned a lot from it.