You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Duke
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just received financial aid offer. Submitted all required documents during the last week of February.
greenteaapple
Full Member
+1Pre-II R, complete early august.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
palmtrees1234
Full Member
Was anyone else disappointed with their aid package?
D
deleted1074206
has anyone recieved their aid package who sent in forms in earlyish march?
plaguedoctor23
Full Member
Grants are need based, scholarships are merit based. Should have said which one it was (or if you got both, the breakdown of how much for each) on the aid offer when you take a closer look at grants and scholarships.Anyone know how to tell if the scholarship/grant is merit or need based?
Definitely disappointed here; however, I called finaid and they gave me some great info:Was anyone else disappointed with their aid package?
1) This is need-based only, merit scholarships will go out in a few weeks
2) They DO NOT match other schools' aid packages
plaguedoctor23
Full Member
I understand not matching aid packages (loans and grants, everything need-based) but they don't match merit scholarships either??!Definitely disappointed here; however, I called finaid and they gave me some great info:
1) This is need-based only, merit scholarships will go out in a few weeks
2) They DO NOT match other schools' aid packages
Pre-II R. Will be publishing my Duke secondary essays into a memoir.
D
deleted1074206
I know I was very disappointed to hear this from them as well! Especially w/ a merit scholarship from a peer institution 🙁I understand not matching aid packages (loans and grants, everything need-based) but they don't match merit scholarships either??!
curiousmed1234567
New Member
Does anyone have access to DukeHub? I know they said the information was mailed to us but I cannot seem to find it in my email anywhere. Wondering how to accept/decline the award
So I went through the school handbook and was wondering if any current students could answer when the school does its drug test 👀?
During orientation, prior to orientation, etc???
During orientation, prior to orientation, etc???
Sorry for taking so long to respond, research project has me swamped. To clarify the package they wouldn't match on my end was NEED-based not merit so I don't know if that's the case. That being said it seemed like a firm no on matching YMMVI understand not matching aid packages (loans and grants, everything need-based) but they don't match merit scholarships either??!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi does anyone know if Duke takes additional letters of rec as updates for ppl on the waitlist? Also, does anyone know when is the best time to send out a letter of intent/interest? Thanks so much!
OctoberSo I went through the school handbook and was wondering if any current students could answer when the school does its drug test 👀?
During orientation, prior to orientation, etc???
D
deleted1074206
Has anyone heard about merit money yet? Historically it seems that it comes out after second look
plaguedoctor23
Full Member
Hey guys, just wanted to put this out there for WL applicants:
I was shocked by the number of people at SLW holding multiple T10 acceptances. With at least a third of those attending SLW holding multiple A’s at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Hopkins, etc., theres no way everyone is coming here.
I also talked to a few M1’s who shared that they were accepted off the WL last year. So just because there wasn’t any WL movement reported on sdn last year, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Hope to see some of you in August.
I was shocked by the number of people at SLW holding multiple T10 acceptances. With at least a third of those attending SLW holding multiple A’s at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Hopkins, etc., theres no way everyone is coming here.
I also talked to a few M1’s who shared that they were accepted off the WL last year. So just because there wasn’t any WL movement reported on sdn last year, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Hope to see some of you in August.
Second this, during SLW I talked to numerous folks who had multiple T10s.Hey guys, just wanted to put this out there for WL applicants:
I was shocked by the number of people at SLW holding multiple T10 acceptances. With at least a third of those attending SLW holding multiple A’s at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Hopkins, etc., theres no way everyone is coming here.
I also talked to a few M1’s who shared that they were accepted off the WL last year. So just because there wasn’t any WL movement reported on sdn last year, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Hope to see some of you in August.
FutureDrMango
Full Member
Hey guys--waitlisted applicant here who is curious about the vibes/feel of the school during SLW. If anyone is willing to share their impressions and let me know how it went can you please message me?
purplemed33
Full Member
Was pleasantly surprised by how down to earth and friendly everyone was. Feel free to message me if you have more specific questions!Hey guys--waitlisted applicant here who is curious about the vibes/feel of the school during SLW. If anyone is willing to share their impressions and let me know how it went can you please message me?
D
deleted1074206
has anyone not received their aid package yet
mickmars51
Full Member
can anyone comment on the availability of clinical research opportunities at duke? interested in some competitive sub specialties and was looking for resources/an overview of whats available/happening at duke hospital. thanks!
Nope. Sent an email about them last Sunday and haven't gotten a response. Guessing they are working on them right now so hopefully this week we will hear!Has anyone heard about merit scholarships?
Reader138494
New Member
A person in the GroupMe for accepted applicants said yesterday that admissions emailed them and told them all merit aid has been distributed at this point. Another student confirmed this based on a separate conversation that they had with admissions yesterday 🙁. Apparently any other merit aid offers at this point are contingent on students who have received these offers choosing to go somewhere else.Has anyone heard about merit scholarships?
Also, if you are not in the GroupMe, I think the person who created it posted earlier in this thread and said to message them if you'd like to be added! Just in case anyone had missed it.
Any WL people's portals say "application withdrawn"? My portal says that I withdrew my app and I definitely didn't. Not sure if this is a mistake/happening to others, or if it is their way of rejecting me lol
Mine doesn't, it still just has the same waitlist message from beforeAny WL people's portals say "application withdrawn"? My portal says that I withdrew my app and I definitely didn't. Not sure if this is a mistake/happening to others, or if it is their way of rejecting me lol
lakerslover777
Full Member
idk if it’s ok to ask this, i was wondering if any admitted applicants could maybe just give a general idea on how many ppl are in the accepted group me? just trying to get a sense of if there will actually be WL movement after 5/2
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1074206
170ish in Facebook, 120ish in accepted GroupMe, 50 in committed group me right nowidk if it’s ok to ask this, i was wondering if any admitted applicants could maybe just give a general idea on how many ppl are in the accepted group me? just trying to get a sense of if there will actually be WL movement after 5/2
Mr. Scooty
Full Member
Does the committed groupme only have people who have formally committed to enroll?170ish in Facebook, 120ish in accepted GroupMe, 50 in committed group me right now
D
deleted1074206
I think it’s a mix. It was just created so I don’t think everyone has joined yet who is actually planning to enrollDoes the committed groupme only have people who have formally committed to enroll?
Not sure when you should expect WL offers, but 13 people have left the accepted student GroupMe since April 15th, so those are likely seats that will open up!Anyone get any updates regarding WL offers? When should we expect?
Mr. Scooty
Full Member
Not certain about duke specifically but I would expect WL movement to happen after the Plan to enroll deadline of may 2nd (so next week).
Hiii does anyone know generally until when duke sends out waitlist acceptances? Trying to figure out when is the optimal time to sign a lease for my current top school.
Waitlist folks, I am giving up my offer of admission today (PCLT) so hopefully that will contribute to the waitlist movement. Sending positive vibes and lots of good luck!!
doctornb32
New Member
Can anyone speak on how many people have dropped out of the group me before today
Mr. Scooty
Full Member
Nyu told us in a webinar for wl students last week how many had PTE’d at that point, but not how many have pte’d after today. I doubt they’d tell us now, but the Dean at NYU has been known for being way more transparent than most adcoms. Still worth a shot to call duke tho!apparently nyu straight up told people on their wl how many people selected PTE, so if someone wants to call and ask maybe duke will say too.
Same! Best wishes and fingers crossed for everyone 🙂Waitlist folks, I am giving up my offer of admission today (PCLT) so hopefully that will contribute to the waitlist movement. Sending positive vibes and lots of good luck!!
plaguedoctor23
Full Member
The original accepted groupme is down to 100 (was at ~120 at some point) and the committed student groupme is at 73. I know theres a handful of students from second look that seemed pretty set on committing but haven't been a part of groupme this entire time + people who just don't know about or don't want to join the groupme, so I'd estimate the true number of committed students to be around 90. I'm feeling WL movement!
EDIT: theres also still 166 in the FB page, but theres also a ton of people who have been long gone from the groupme, as well as at least a dozen M2/M3s
EDIT: theres also still 166 in the FB page, but theres also a ton of people who have been long gone from the groupme, as well as at least a dozen M2/M3s
Last edited:
Throwawayaccount777
Full Member
Got off the WL, still in shock 😵 I don't think I can believe it until the email comes through
lakerslover777
Full Member
they called?Got off the WL, still in shock 😵 I don't think I can believe it until the email comes through
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Throwawayaccount777
Full Member
Yesthey called?
Got off the waitlist via a phone call around 12pm est!
Congrats!!! Just curious, how long are they giving folks to accept a WL offer?Got off the waitlist via a phone call around 12pm est!
They are giving us a week to decideCongrats!!! Just curious, how long are they giving folks to accept a WL offer?
The letter I got yesterday made it sound like we have until May 10th to pay the $100 tuition deposit, but we have until the regular June 15th CTE deadline to make a final decision.They are giving us a week to decide
Either way, I’m hoping we’ll all hear from financial aid before the deposit is due next week. 🤞🏻 Congrats on your acceptance!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K