2020-2021 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know a lot of people had issues, including me. For me, I emailed them and then it got fixed the next day. Maybe they have to go around and fix it for everyone because their original issue isn't fixed yet? I don't know, I'm guessing
They fixed it for me too after four work days. Just make sure to use Firefox, when you make your payment!

Members don't see this ad.

I see where you're coming from but it's a bit difficult to reflect on how it has impacted us when we're still going through it. And Qstem also asks outlook on medicine so I think we can get away with broad generalizations than "...it made me want to be a physician...". Furthermore, it was close to a start of a cycle so it really shouldn't have impacted your pursuit that much.

Yeah, I think for the second part of the question it's totally fine to talk about the things going on more generally, especially since it mentions "events"

Hey, thank you! So, how's student life lol. Do you enjoy it there? What do students do for fun?
Hey! Well student life might be a little different now considering the pandemic but before then I've honestly enjoyed my classmates! We have class outings to clubs/bars. We have groups of people that love getting together to do different things like go to beaches, parks, rock climbing, sports, board games, netflix binges, etc. NC is a beautiful, nature-filled state with lots of outdoor activities. We also have chapel hill and Raleigh nearby for your food/nightlife cravings! It's no big city, but I think its easy to find something you enjoy! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Duke is after our SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH with this secondary, wouldn't you say @yellowranger

gotta agree that i dont love using the springtime of youth to write a billion duke essays with larger word counts during out quarantined world

IF I CANT DO ONE SECONDARY TODAY I WILL DO DUKES SECONDARY TMRW

also bruh how many schools are you applying total wtfff hahah

gotta agree that i dont love using the springtime of youth to write a billion duke essays with larger word counts during out quarantined world

IF I CANT DO ONE SECONDARY TODAY I WILL DO DUKES SECONDARY TMRW

also bruh how many schools are you applying total wtfff hahah
I literally saw the secondary and hit a swift u-turn. Not many things in this world scare me....but the length of that secondary does lol

View attachment 314176
Ok... so does this mean they don't consider the MCAT at all when selecting people for interview invites??? So MCAT is blinded to the admissions committee? Or does this just mean that if you don't have an MCAT, they will still consider you for an interview. But if you have the MCAT they will look at it still??? Sorry for the silly question. Just a bit confused on if MCAT will be considered. (Because if MCAT is not considered, then I wont be submitting due to weak GPA. I need my MCAT to offset my GPA.)
My guess would be that they will go all the way to potential interview invite, but won't do a final acceptance without the MCAT. But I know nothing, so take that with a pillar of salt lol

Particularly enjoyed that of all the secondaries I've gotten so far, Duke's has been the only one to end up firmly in my spam folder

• Haha
Particularly enjoyed that of all the secondaries I've gotten so far, Duke's has been the only one to end up firmly in my spam folder
Same, I almost feel like my email was trying to protect me from the mountain of writing lol

Is anyone else considering using the "Further Information" box for a Why Duke essay or is that too much?

On the portion that asks about Judicial History. Is an institutional action that never went to a committee or anything count? I had a dorm violation, and I stated that I had an IA on my application, but I am unsure is that applies to this part. Anyone know?

On the portion that asks about Judicial History. Is an institutional action that never went to a committee or anything count? I had a dorm violation, and I stated that I had an IA on my application, but I am unsure is that applies to this part. Anyone know?
If you stated it on your application, would recommend doing the same here. Don't want them to think you're being dishonest. They give you a space to explain, so you'll be able to tell this to them. I doubt they'll hold it against you. But they might if you put it on primary but not secondary.

Duke asks not only if you’ve had an IA, but if you’ve ever even been accused of a conduct violation. Even if you were found “not responsible,” which is bizarre to me. Conceivably, you would be within your rights not to report something like that on AMCAS, but be obligated to do so on Duke’s secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else considering using the "Further Information" box for a Why Duke essay or is that too much?

I thought about that too, but writing 8 essays is probably enough, lol.

In other news, I just submitted Duke and have finally caught up on all my secondaries!! After months of writing, I don't know what I'll do with my spare time. probably cry or something, idk.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I thought about that too, but writing 8 essays is probably enough, lol.

In other news, I just submitted Duke and have finally caught up on all my secondaries!! After months of writing, I don't know what I'll do with my spare time. probably cry or something, idk.
That's kind of my inclination, too -- they get to know us so well through their essays, I don't think 1. I want to write and 2. they want to read a "Why Duke."

Congrats on your submission of this monster secondary! This one is taking me the longest to turn around. Unfortunately, I think waiting after submitting is worse...I've been so bored and neurotically checking my portals.

If you stated it on your application, would recommend doing the same here. Don't want them to think you're being dishonest. They give you a space to explain, so you'll be able to tell this to them. I doubt they'll hold it against you. But they might if you put it on primary but not secondary.
Okay! I was not trying to hide it, just making sure that they are looking for IAs there and not something else

Okay! I was not trying to hide it, just making sure that they are looking for IAs there and not something else
Cool, I didn't think you were (you wouldn't have put it in primary if you were, lol). But I don't want THEM to think you are, which is possible and could sink your app.

Should I be concerned that I have not received my secondaries yet? They're not in my spam folder either...

ffs they are using VITA this year... :(

Well, you’re ahead of me. I’ve still got to write seven essays essentially from scratch.
Ditto! Fear not, though, my friends. Yes, we all know the rule of thumb that it's best to turn these things around sooner rather than later. But, per MSAR, Duke's application review does not begin until August 14th this cycle. So there's a bit of breathing room.

And remember, these are word maximums! Not word targets. I definitely anticipate writing answers that are closer to 200-250 words for many of these prompts.

Last edited:
For the critical thinking/research one, is it asking us to describe a time in our research where we had to use our critical thinking skills? Or is it just telling us to describe our research experiences?
It's poorly written, for sure. Even though I have a lot of research experience, I'm considering using another non-research experience to exemplify critical thinking. Not sure if that looks bad, though, if they mentioned research specifically?
Yeah, this is another roughly-worded question. My read of the prompt is that they're inviting you to discuss a research experience, but they're giving you an out in case you don't have much research experience by alternatively inviting you to discuss a time you used critical thinking in a non-research context.

I see where you're coming from but it's a bit difficult to reflect on how it has impacted us when we're still going through it. And Qstem also asks outlook on medicine so I think we can get away with broad generalizations than "...it made me want to be a physician...". Furthermore, it was close to a start of a cycle so it really shouldn't have impacted your pursuit that much.

I talked about how it influenced my interests within medicine (public policy etc). I think you could go that route, even if you aren't necessarily talking about policy - if it influenced the role you think physicians should play in a society, how COVID further exposed gaps in care, etc. I think you can talk about the political landscape so long as you tie it back to you.

Reactions: 1 users
how are you guys answering the 'race and its relation to health care inequities question?' are you applying an anecdote, then backing it up with studies, or approaching it entirely through an objective standpoint (no anecdote whatsoever)?

how are you guys answering the 'race and its relation to health care inequities question?' are you applying an anecdote, then backing it up with studies, or approaching it entirely through an objective standpoint (no anecdote whatsoever)?
I'm using just objective information about my understanding of race and health. My interpretation on the question is that if they wanted an anecdote, they would be more specific about what they are looking for

I don't have an anecdote that feels honest, so I went with an objective viewpoint. I think if this is something you or people close to you have experienced personally, then using an anecdote could work very well, but 100% not something to force if it's not naturally there.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone get an error with payment?

Everyone seems to be getting this. For me it was resolved on its own - I went to bed before contacting the admissions office and it got fixed by the morning, but they do seem to be pretty responsive if you contact them.

Does anyone else's application say " Your supplemental application still need attention. We are currently waiting for your letters of recommendation to arrive from AMCAS" after you submitted?

I am guessing that it just takes time for letters to get sent over from AMCAS? But I have received all of the letters I am sending to them.

Does anyone else's application say " Your supplemental application still need attention. We are currently waiting for your letters of recommendation to arrive from AMCAS" after you submitted?

I am guessing that it just takes time for letters to get sent over from AMCAS? But I have received all of the letters I am sending to them.

Says for me also

Do you still have this issue?

People who got payment errors - did you receive an email that your application was completed or does it just say locked on the portal?

For the additional info prompt, would a why Duke or a gap year essay be more appropriate?

Are you guys going in-depth about your research on the "describe your research/critical thinking" prompt?

Are you guys going in-depth about your research on the "describe your research/critical thinking" prompt?

I interpreted the question as their attempt to gain insight into our problem-solving skills. Not certain if a detailed description of the area of research is necessary, and word counts are lower this year than last.

Anyone else still having the error about letters of recommendation? If not, how long did it take for it to switch over to complete?

Anyone else still having the error about letters of recommendation? If not, how long did it take for it to switch over to complete?
I emailed them and they said “Our IT team is working on this. We will let you know as soon as it is resolved”

For the first question, do you guys think talking about my struggles with childhood obesity and how shaped me to help others with similar problems would fit a prompt? Or is it more geared towards self-identity?

I emailed them and they said “Our IT team is working on this. We will let you know as soon as it is resolved”
Oh good haha. I was starting to get worried it was something on my end. Thank you for reaching out!

For the first question, do you guys think talking about my struggles with childhood obesity and how shaped me to help others with similar problems would fit a prompt? Or is it more geared towards self-identity?
Perhaps, if it's core to who you are. Some people use it as a diversity prompt, so that topic would certainly not stand out in a negative way.

I personally approached it more as a, "tell me about yourself," talking about my background, the values I gained from my upbringing, and a little bit about how I've recently applied those values in working with people "similar and disimilar" to myself. Don't leave out the last part of the prompt! Talking about helping people with similar problems is awesome, but you want to ensure you're showing how your experiences also make you adaptable and able to help people who are different.

So just to confirm: I 'locked my application' and then proceeded to make the payment and received an email confirmation of the payment, but there seems to still be an error. My application has not been submitted. Do I need to contact the admissions department for help, or does this issue resolve itself after a few days?
Mine resolved the next day on the portal!

So...after spending many, many hours working on my application and proofreading non-stop...I somehow copied the exact same essay to two different prompts. RIP to my secondary.

Just e-mail them and explain. Maybe they’ll attach the correct essay to your application for you.

i have just given up on duke. 5/10 essays done and its my last one and im so burnt out. also whats the point of writing 5 entirely new essays that I just won't use again

i have just given up on duke. 5/10 essays done and its my last one and im so burnt out. also whats the point of writing 5 entirely new essays that I just won't use again
They don't begin review until mid-August, and only about half of their applicants complete their secondary. It's up to you, but it could be worth taking a few days of a break before coming back to it.