2020-2021 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Howard University

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but HU moves on CPT so I hope no one is holding their breath for a secondary.

Reactions: 12 users
What does CPT stand for?
Colored People Time. Going along with the stereotype that black people are always late.

Speaking for myself here, I can't say they're wrong hahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Colored People Time. Going along with the stereotype that black people are always late.

Speaking for myself here, I can't say they're wrong hahahaha

Lol did I just sell myself out then, by showing that I'm not AA. Rip. Asian people be late too. @ me ^.^

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
"The HUCM Admissions office will receive notification when your application has been verified. Shortly after, all applicants will receive an email titled “FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE—VERIFICATION OF AMCAS APPLICATION" stating that the application is complete. The first Invitation to complete the HUCM secondary will be mailed on or about August 15.

The first emails will be sent on August 15 and emails will continue to be sent until January 1. You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of your secondary via email."

Pulled this from the website! Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 3 users
"The HUCM Admissions office will receive notification when your application has been verified. Shortly after, all applicants will receive an email titled “FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE—VERIFICATION OF AMCAS APPLICATION" stating that the application is complete. The first Invitation to complete the HUCM secondary will be mailed on or about August 15.

The first emails will be sent on August 15 and emails will continue to be sent until January 1. You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of your secondary via email."

Pulled this from the website! Hope this helps :)
Great, now I just sleep until August 15th.

What kind of students does Howard look for? I just know that they are OOS friendly..

What kind of students does Howard look for? I just know that they are OOS friendly..
Well it’s an HBCU - so dedicated to producing Black doctors that will practice in our underserved communities. They want applicants who have demonstrated work in underserved communities and are interested in tackling health disparities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Ironically, just got an e-mail from Howard stating that they received my app (though I’m unverified) and that secondaries would be going out starting in late July.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my verification email. Secondaries SHOULD be coming out late July per the email.

I got the same email! Aren't we already in late July??? Hahaha 10 days left people

Reactions: 1 user
Well it’s an HBCU - so dedicated to producing Black doctors that will practice in our underserved communities. They want applicants who have demonstrated work in underserved communities and are interested in tackling health disparities.
Thank you for this, I'm trying to draft my secondaries and don't know where to start lol

Ironically, just got an e-mail from Howard stating that they received my app (though I’m unverified) and that secondaries would be going out starting in late July.
I didn’t get this. Should I weep now?

Do you have to take a separate CASPer for Howard? All other schools I applied to request to take "US - Medicine" CASPer (test code: CSP-10111). But I just saw on Howard website that they want the American Professional Health Sciences test (CSP10101). I know that was the test last year, and I'm not sure if HU actually requires a different (from other schools) CASPer this year, or if they just haven't updated the requirements on their website. Does anyone know anything about this?

Do you have to take a separate CASPer for Howard? All other schools I applied to request to take "US - Medicine" CASPer (test code: CSP-10111). But I just saw on Howard website that they want the American Professional Health Sciences test (CSP10101). I know that was the test last year, and I'm not sure if HU actually requires a different (from other schools) CASPer this year, or if they just haven't updated the requirements on their website. Does anyone know anything about this?
CSP-10111 is for MD. CSP-10101 is for other healthcare programs.

Was accepted to Howard last cycle (but decided to go to a school closer to home), so maybe I can shed a little more light on this. @14_karat is spot on about what Howard looks for. As an HBCU, most of the class is black/AA, but they definitely accept applicants of other races. You really need to show a strong commitment to the underserved-working with them, advocating with them, living in an underserved community, etc. To clarify, underserved doesn't necessarily equate to predominantly black/AA areas (my app was geared towards working with the Native and homeless/at-risk populations in my city).

They are very OOS friendly, primarily because Howard is private and DC is a small area and doesn't have a whole lot of applicants in general. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Howard doesn't have a geographic bias-they accept people from all over the country (heck, there were two of us from AK who were accepted).

The best advice I have to y'all applying is to allow your humanity to shine through in your apps. If you have a life story, don't be afraid to share it. Be a real human being who shows emotions, can empathize with others, and meet others where they're at. Mistakes are okay. Emphasize what you learned from those mistakes and how you'll integrate those lessons into serving the underserved. Whatever you say, bring it back to your underserved patients and communities and outline your commitment to these areas. From what I could tell, Howard (and I think the HBCUs in general) is very mission-driven.

The other piece of advice I have is to get your app in as early as possible. Howard was one of the last secondaries I received (I received mine in early September) and I filled out the app the very day I received it. And I kid you not, I received an interview invite 1-2 days later. So get in at the very beginning. If you get into the interview stage, be proud; according to the MSAR data, Howard receives ~9000 applications but interviews ~300. That's an astonishingly small percentage. Make it to the interviews, and barring any major mishaps, you'll have a good chance of getting in. And even if you get WLed here, you have a good chance of getting off.

Keep your heads up, and good luck to y'all applying this cycle! :D

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
Reapplying here with a brand new high SMP GPA. Got silent rejected last time, I won't let it happen again...

Do you need to have an MCAT score to receive secondary and get interviewed?

Reapplying here with a brand new high SMP GPA. Got silent rejected last time, I won't let it happen again...
/
Are you black? I'm only asking because usually grades don't hold people back when it comes to HU. I mean unless you had a borderline D avergae but generally HU is forgiving about grades/mcat

/
Are you black? I'm only asking because usually grades don't hold people back when it comes to HU. I mean unless you had a borderline D avergae but generally HU is forgiving about grades/mcat
whew! that's reassuring. I have a bomb GPA but my MCAT is hot garbage. I thought I would try my luck anyway since I'm unable to get another test date in my area

• Haha
whew! that's reassuring. I have a bomb GPA but my MCAT is hot garbage. I thought I would try my luck anyway since I'm unable to get another test date in my area
Okay now this is just my conclusion from the accepted applicant stats and stats of people in last years acceptance thread. They focus a lot on their mission and if you have ample volunteer hours esp w underserved places. I anticipate you'll at least get an interview. The from there just sell ya self!

Okay now this is just my conclusion from the accepted applicant stats and stats of people in last years acceptance thread. They focus a lot on their mission and if you have ample volunteer hours esp w underserved places. I anticipate you'll at least get an interview. The from there just sell ya self!
Oh absolutely which is why I'm hoping they'll be gracious enough to extend me an interview. That's the only major ding on my app (in my opinion).

/
Yeah born in Nigeria, raised in the US. MCAT is well above their cutoff, GPAs are literally below 3.0 back then, had underserved volunteering experiences too.

Yeah born in Nigeria, raised in the US. MCAT is well above their cutoff, GPAs are literally below 3.0 back then, had underserved volunteering experiences too.
Born in Nigeria eh? How do you like my name then :)

hmm weird. This whole process is iffy, there's no sure fire method. :(

Well I'm rooting for you this cycle!!!

good luck to everyone. I interviewed last year and was waitlisted. I hope that third time's a charm. I'm still waiting for my application to be verified, which should be sometime beginning of august.

Reactions: 2 users
good luck to everyone. I interviewed last year and was waitlisted. I hope that third time's a charm. I'm still waiting for my application to be verified, which should be sometime beginning of august.

Hi old friend, looks like we’re at this again lol
This is our year b!

So...what does it mean that they received the AMCAS application but not verified???

So...what does it mean that they received the AMCAS application but not verified???
They received a notification that you selected them on AMCAS, but AMCAS hasn't verified and transmitted your app yet.

I just got an invite to complete their secondary but it says that it is an Applicant gateway. Can anyone explain what this is please? Thanks in advance

Are you guys listing all classes in the prereqs or just enough to fill the requirement?

I have to wait till my primary is verified and that won’t be until beginning of August

No essays it seems like, ya'll better submit ASAP!

Just got my secondary holy crap wtf this isnt usual for HU