2021-2022 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how to access the Howard med facebook this upcoming class?
They send an email with the link once you pay the $100 deposit to hold your seat but you cant access it until you pay the $300 enrollment fee.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ended up withdrawing from two other programs because overall Howard just felt like the best fit as a person of color who didn’t get accepted into a “Top 20 (Objective ranking)” med school.

The partnerships with the NIH, and joining Adventist Healthcare is pretty solid. I screwed up in undergrad by not going to Howard. I’m not willing to make that mistake for med school .
As someone interested in clinical research, the relationship with NIH is also heavily influencing my decision. If I remember correctly, it was also brought up in the interview that the dean is very proactive and has relationships with the FDA and CDC.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone interested in clinical research, the relationship with NIH is also heavily influencing my decision. If I remember correctly, it was also brought up in the interview that the dean is very proactive and has relationships with the FDA and CDC.

I haven’t heard anything about the FDA and CDC, but I do believe the FDA is stationed in DC. That’s very likely.

I’ve spent time at NIH and Walter Reed. The biomedical research happening in Bethesda is insane. DC as a whole doesn’t have “top tier” med schools when comparing to programs like Hopkins, Harvard, and Columbia. However, having access to NIH (and utilizing that access) could very well allow us to land in some of the same residencies where their students match.

Also as a Black person, the networking leverage of Howard easily beats out a lot of the mid tier programs. The thought being able to just focus on studies instead of focusing on my blackness for 4 years is also a major plus. But to each his/her/their own.

I am looking forward to having you as a classmate. I’m very interested in research so we’ll probably see a lot of one another.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my interview we were told they filled all the seats + I'm currently waitlisted so...
wait what?! at first friday they said that they are still interviewing until seats are filled and she said it wasnt. so now ppl are just interviewing for waitlist? thats crazy. i dont want to believe it:cryi:

wait what?! at first friday they said that they are still interviewing until seats are filled and she said it wasnt. so now ppl are just interviewing for waitlist? thats crazy. i dont want to believe it:cryi:
At this point, we have to go into these interviews with positive mindsets.

• Care
Exactly, and now I don't even know if it's worth it to attend the interview.

So out of 380, only 120 are being accepted. If they already have their 120...I don't like those odds at all. I'm trying to be hopeful, but the numbers are intimidating.
probably more are accepted since people will decline their seat. Some have already began to decline their seat.

Members don't see this ad :)
probably more are accepted since people will decline their seat. Some have already began to decline their seat.
You know, you may be right. Let's just cross our fingers. My interview is next week, and they probably have reached the limit of their class tbh or have gotten very close.

You know, you may be right. Let's just cross our fingers. My interview is next week, and they probably have reached the limit of their class tbh or have gotten very close.
I would just prepare for the interview. As someone still waiting for one, I recommend you prepare the best you can and also feel confident!

So out of 380, only 120 are being accepted. If they already have their 120...I don't like those odds at all. I'm trying to be hopeful, but the numbers are intimidating.
No they accept almost like 270 students each year. Roughly 70% of interviewees and then waitlist roughly 20%. Very few ppl are denied upfront of those who interview. This thread has a lot of inaccurate info. Every school accepts almost double their ideal class size as many have multiple offers. The one thing that is rough about Howard waitlist is that they replace off stats. So if some one with 508 withdraws they try to get someone similar from the waitlist. I applied here last cycle and was waitlisted, so I know how that process works roughly. They also won’t know how full their class is until the CYM tool becomes available then they’ll have to access if they need to pull from waitlist more or interview additional candidates that’s why schools like Howard, Meharry, and Drexel interview very late into the cycle as they loose a good number of accepted students to other programs.

Reactions: 11 users
I know it is hard, but I would say be hopeful. They also said that almost all of the people they waitlisted last year were offered an acceptance before the end of the cycle. So, there is still a chance.

• Love
Do y’all think they are done sending out interviews:/

• Sad
WL just now. Interviewed 2/1

• Care
Okay so I have been following this chat closely and what I am seeing is that they do not in fact interview anyone with sub 500 MCAT scores :(

• Care
  • Sad
Just for some perspective and hope, last year Howard had approximately 100-125 people on the waitlist and accepted 75 of them! So there is a lot of hope for those on the waitlist!
https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7056/download (this info is on this chart)
I can attest to this. I’m an M1 and most of my closest friends (who are KILLING it btw) got off the waitlist in May and June. 1 got off the waitlist the weekend before school started.

Reactions: 2 users
Looking at the fb count is not helpful, most people i know didn’t join the fb

Okay so I have been following this chat closely and what I am seeing is that they do not in fact interview anyone with sub 500 MCAT scores :(
they do, but it’s harder to get off the waitlist. you can wow them though with other things but honestly it’s hard to make it with a sub-500 cuz let me tell you this **** is hard. the exams are long and you have little time to prepare for them. but it’s definitely possible! they look at ur whole app, i promise bc we def have a few in our class

• Care
they’re likely not on SDN saying they got the II or even the A! don’t fret on that, a lot of ppl don’t us SDN bc it can be toxic

Do y’all think they are done sending out interviews:/
when march hits, don’t give up hope (they interview into April), but also prepare to resubmit. i know it’s tough and emotionally exhausting but you have to keep pushing!!

I can attest to this. I’m an M1 and most of my closest friends (who are KILLING it btw) got off the waitlist in May and June. 1 got off the waitlist the weekend before school started.
Wow, how were you able to find housing within that timespan? Plan out how your life would be like living somewhere else (if that was the case)? That is an extremely short period of time to mentally prepare yourself for medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
Wow, how were you able to find housing within that timespan? Plan out how your life would be like living somewhere else (if that was the case)? That is an extremely short period of time to mentally prepare yourself for medical school.
Have a backup plan ready to go - I had a friend go through this and eventually flunked out first year since he wasn't prepared (while studying was hopping between Airbnbs until he finally got housing before his first final).

anyone get a interview lately? or know when they plan on sending more out?

Speaking in faith, my interview is on the way
I have a cousin who knows a guy that knows a guy, and word is a lot more interviews need to be had. Because people will be narrowing their list to 3 schools & the wait list is not long enough yet

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I have a cousin who knows a guy that knows a guy, and word is a lot more interviews need to be had. Because people will be narrowing their list to 3 schools & the wait list is not long enough yet
Thats good to know :) I wonder how many people they put on the waitlist...

Does this indicate that they have plenty of acceptances left to give out?

Does this indicate that they have plenty of acceptances left to give out?
When I interviewed recently it was said that they had filled all the seats and there was only WLs to give at this point just because of how late it was in the cycle. It was made clear that most people are able to get off the WL though.

• Care
I cant tell if this is a joke or fr

I cant tell if this is a joke or fr
Lmaooo the part about me having a cousin was a joke. but everything else is true. but the class is filled right now meaning they've given 130 acceptances and people have accepted them. but when aamc traffic rules start happening people release their seat to enroll somwehere else. last year only less than 10 people didn't get of the waitlist

i need them to send me an interview its getting sad out here 😭

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
Who else got the WL letter? 😭

Editing this to ask how long should I expect to wait for an updated decision? I feel so defeated because I thought I interview went fairly well :/

Last edited:
Well that email update just increased my anxiety 😅🙃🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Well that email update just increased my anxiety 😅🙃🙃
SAME, I'm like omg that was fast, but nope just a Spring Break reminder :rofl:
Calm Down Tiffany Pollard GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Howard sent me a break up email

• Care