2021-2022 Howard

Started by wysdoc
Tags Tags
howard
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ended up withdrawing from two other programs because overall Howard just felt like the best fit as a person of color who didn’t get accepted into a “Top 20 (Objective ranking)” med school.

The partnerships with the NIH, and joining Adventist Healthcare is pretty solid. I screwed up in undergrad by not going to Howard. I’m not willing to make that mistake for med school .
As someone interested in clinical research, the relationship with NIH is also heavily influencing my decision. If I remember correctly, it was also brought up in the interview that the dean is very proactive and has relationships with the FDA and CDC.
 
As someone interested in clinical research, the relationship with NIH is also heavily influencing my decision. If I remember correctly, it was also brought up in the interview that the dean is very proactive and has relationships with the FDA and CDC.


I haven’t heard anything about the FDA and CDC, but I do believe the FDA is stationed in DC. That’s very likely.

I’ve spent time at NIH and Walter Reed. The biomedical research happening in Bethesda is insane. DC as a whole doesn’t have “top tier” med schools when comparing to programs like Hopkins, Harvard, and Columbia. However, having access to NIH (and utilizing that access) could very well allow us to land in some of the same residencies where their students match.

Also as a Black person, the networking leverage of Howard easily beats out a lot of the mid tier programs. The thought being able to just focus on studies instead of focusing on my blackness for 4 years is also a major plus. But to each his/her/their own.

I am looking forward to having you as a classmate. I’m very interested in research so we’ll probably see a lot of one another.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So out of 380, only 120 are being accepted. If they already have their 120...I don't like those odds at all. I'm trying to be hopeful, but the numbers are intimidating.
No they accept almost like 270 students each year. Roughly 70% of interviewees and then waitlist roughly 20%. Very few ppl are denied upfront of those who interview. This thread has a lot of inaccurate info. Every school accepts almost double their ideal class size as many have multiple offers. The one thing that is rough about Howard waitlist is that they replace off stats. So if some one with 508 withdraws they try to get someone similar from the waitlist. I applied here last cycle and was waitlisted, so I know how that process works roughly. They also won’t know how full their class is until the CYM tool becomes available then they’ll have to access if they need to pull from waitlist more or interview additional candidates that’s why schools like Howard, Meharry, and Drexel interview very late into the cycle as they loose a good number of accepted students to other programs.
 
So out of 380, only 120 are being accepted. If they already have their 120...I don't like those odds at all. I'm trying to be hopeful, but the numbers are intimidating.
I know it is hard, but I would say be hopeful. They also said that almost all of the people they waitlisted last year were offered an acceptance before the end of the cycle. So, there is still a chance.
 
Just for some perspective and hope, last year Howard had approximately 100-125 people on the waitlist and accepted 75 of them! So there is a lot of hope for those on the waitlist!
https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7056/download (this info is on this chart)
I can attest to this. I’m an M1 and most of my closest friends (who are KILLING it btw) got off the waitlist in May and June. 1 got off the waitlist the weekend before school started.
 
Okay so I have been following this chat closely and what I am seeing is that they do not in fact interview anyone with sub 500 MCAT scores 🙁
they do, but it’s harder to get off the waitlist. you can wow them though with other things but honestly it’s hard to make it with a sub-500 cuz let me tell you this **** is hard. the exams are long and you have little time to prepare for them. but it’s definitely possible! they look at ur whole app, i promise bc we def have a few in our class
 
I can attest to this. I’m an M1 and most of my closest friends (who are KILLING it btw) got off the waitlist in May and June. 1 got off the waitlist the weekend before school started.
Wow, how were you able to find housing within that timespan? Plan out how your life would be like living somewhere else (if that was the case)? That is an extremely short period of time to mentally prepare yourself for medical school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, how were you able to find housing within that timespan? Plan out how your life would be like living somewhere else (if that was the case)? That is an extremely short period of time to mentally prepare yourself for medical school.
Have a backup plan ready to go - I had a friend go through this and eventually flunked out first year since he wasn't prepared (while studying was hopping between Airbnbs until he finally got housing before his first final).
 
I cant tell if this is a joke or fr
Lmaooo the part about me having a cousin was a joke. but everything else is true. but the class is filled right now meaning they've given 130 acceptances and people have accepted them. but when aamc traffic rules start happening people release their seat to enroll somwehere else. last year only less than 10 people didn't get of the waitlist
 
Who else got the WL letter? 😭

Editing this to ask how long should I expect to wait for an updated decision? I feel so defeated because I thought I interview went fairly well :/
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well that email update just increased my anxiety 😅🙃🙃
SAME, I'm like omg that was fast, but nope just a Spring Break reminder 🤣
Calm Down Tiffany Pollard GIF