2021-2022 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Am I likely to get an interview from HUSM at this point? My only local (DMV) option I haven't heard from...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who is unverified receive an email from Howard saying they are looking forward to your application?

Reactions: 1 user
Received this today:

The College of Medicine at Howard University appreciates your interest in our program and are ready to preview your complete and verified file for admission consideration. However, to be fully considered by the admissions committee at Howard University College of Medicine, all transcripts, letters of recommendations, and results from the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), must be submitted to AMCAS; along with your Secondary Application.

Secondary Application invites from Howard University College of Medicine are scheduled to be e-mailed out between June 30, 2021 and January 14, 2022 to verified applicants ONLY.

Please note: CASPer is a requirement for our program. Please visit medicine.howard.edu for the details on forwarding your results of this situational judgement test to us for inclusion in your file.

Howard University College of Medicine's AMCAS deadline is December 15, 2021 and our Secondary Application deadline is January 15, 2022. We would like to consider all applicants for interview that have a genuine interest in Howard, and encourage all applicants who meet the 494 MCAT requirement to submit their secondary application when invited.

Please note: It could take 2-4 weeks for acknowledgment of your secondary application e-mail to be sent. All emails will be sent to your "preferred e-mail" designated in AMCAS, if your e-mail changes, be sure to update it in AMCAS as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Celia Williams-Fowlkes, M.Ed.
Director of Admissions
Howard University College of Medicine
[email protected]

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
BTW this year's prompts are the same!

Reactions: 1 users
All three links take me to the same page. What do they mean it’s for a different part ?
I think this is just their system acting up. I also got three emails from them.

Also -- I wrote that comment for those who might be prewriting!

I think this is just their system acting up. I also got three emails from them.

Also -- I wrote that comment for those who might be prewriting!
Hold up for math are you putting stats and calc? I didn’t take statistics 1 and 2

Hold up for math are you putting stats and calc? I didn’t take statistics 1 and 2
Yeah. That's fine

Howard's prereqs:
Biology/lab (one year)
Biochemistry (one semester)
Inorganic Chemistry/lab (one year)
Organic Chemistry/lab (one year)
Physics/lab (one year)
Math/Statistics (one year) - Any college-level math course
English (one year)
Humanities Courses or Social Sciences (one year), which may be additional English course work, Languages, Art, Music, History, Philosophy, Religion, Sociology, Psychology etc.)

Yeah. That's fine

Howard's prereqs:
Biology/lab (one year)
Biochemistry (one semester)
Inorganic Chemistry/lab (one year)
Organic Chemistry/lab (one year)
Physics/lab (one year)
Math/Statistics (one year) - Any college-level math course
English (one year)
Oh okay sorry ! Really excited I like Howard program a lot

Prompts

Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.) (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

Did COVID-19 impact you preparing your AMCAS application for fall 2022? (i.e. volunteer/work experience, financially, course registration, MCAT testing, etc.) [Please respond Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less, indicate N/A if not applicable]

Marked complete I guess I’ll see you guys back in September

Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

If you answered "No" to either of these prompts, are you still expected to provide a response? Struggling for how I could answer "No" to living in medically underserved region and then write a 250 word response to that..

If you answered "No" to either of these prompts, are you still expected to provide a response? Struggling for how I could answer "No" to living in medically underserved region and then write a 250 word response to that..
No I had a personal Starbucks and personal driver take me to the gate of my estate so my 2nd driver can take me to school.

/S

I’m not sure probably don’t have to put anything

I'm really not sure and it's confusing me. Also idk if I should say yes or no, I lived in the suburbs but my county is rural/underserved

Do they accept AP Credit for prereqs? I can't find anything about it

Weird question for everyone: so I took one year of ochem and then one quarter of ochem lab, does that count as one year ochem with lab?

I would probably call tomorrow to ask them about it. They are super nice.

Question: for
  1. Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

if your answer is no, do you think they want an explanation?

Question: for
  1. Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

if your answer is no, do you think they want an explanation?
I'd think so! They say "answer Yes or No and then explain"

It doesn't have to be super detailed, but if I were you, I'd try to exemplify empathy for those communities even though you never really grew within them.

Just got an email that scared me half to death. They sure know how to grab your attention

We have received and reviewed your AMCAS Primary and Secondary Applications for admission consideration for the M.D. degree program at Howard University's College of Medicine. Although we are aware students are currently in the process of completing their prerequisites, and having at least 2 Science, Math, or Research Instructor Letters of Recommendation or Committee Letters submitted on their behalf; please be advised, that should you be missing pre-requisite coursework or a required Letter of Recommendation, they should be received no later than July 1, 2022. Also, any outstanding pre-requisite courses must have a letter grade in the "C" range (C+ to C-) to be considered a satisfied requirement and completed no later than spring or first summer sessions to be considered for admission in July 2022.

Interviews are by invitation only and are sent via E-MAIL ONLY. Should you be selected for interview, invitations will be issued between late August until mid April. Most interviews will be completed by the end of April.

REMINDERS:

• We do not provide status updates on applications.
  • Keep your spam-blockers low and check your junk mail folder regularly. You do not want to miss an interview invitation.
  • The January MCAT test dates are the last dates considered for the fall 2022 admissions cycle.
  • Do not send transcripts, unless requested by the HUCM Admissions Office.

• Is this a good sign? That my application and secondary already been reviewed and I have not received a Rejection yet

Last edited:
We have received and reviewed your AMCAS Primary and Secondary Applications for admission consideration for the M.D. degree program at Howard University's College of Medicine. Although we are aware students are currently in the process of completing their prerequisites, and having at least 2 Science, Math, or Research Instructor Letters of Recommendation or Committee Letters submitted on their behalf; please be advised, that should you be missing pre-requisite coursework or a required Letter of Recommendation, they should be received no later than July 1, 2022. Also, any outstanding pre-requisite courses must have a letter grade in the "C" range (C+ to C-) to be considered a satisfied requirement and completed no later than spring or first summer sessions to be considered for admission in July 2022.

Interviews are by invitation only and are sent via E-MAIL ONLY. Should you be selected for interview, invitations will be issued between late August until mid April. Most interviews will be completed by the end of April.

REMINDERS:

• Keep your spam-blockers low and check your junk mail folder regularly. You do not want to miss an interview invitation.
  • The January MCAT test dates are the last dates considered for the fall 2022 admissions cycle.

• Is this a good sign? That my application and secondary already been reviewed and I have not received a Rejection yet
When were you complete/submit?

Cool! I would say it's either a good sign or something they send to EVERYONE. Does last year's threat say anything?
Don’t see anyone mentioned it. Must only send to people who have pre reqs outstanding. I plan on taking biochem next semester

REMINDERS:

They might just send it to everyone. I also got it and I took all my prereqs years ago. Maybe it's a way of telling us that they reviewed our app.

I love how they are trying to update us on the process. Usually schools just ghost people

Just submitted the secondary :)

For those with MCATs on the lower end, are you guys using the additional information space to address it?

Hey guys, just wanted to ask yall about my chances at howard medical college. My GPA is pretty good with a 3.98 but I am kinda worried bout my 500 mcat. However, I have a long commitment to serving underserved communities and communit service.

Hey guys, just wanted to ask yall about my chances at howard medical college. My GPA is pretty good with a 3.98 but I am kinda worried bout my 500 mcat. However, I have a long commitment to serving underserved communities and communit service.
500 is fine with your high GPA. Howards average MCAT is 503 and their average GPA is 3.4.

For those with MCATs on the lower end, are you guys using the additional information space to address it?
Depends how low...but better off not bringing attention to it imo if you're above their cutoffs. GPA is the only thing i'd address if you had really bad life stressors or a significantly bad year.

REMINDERS:

I just got this email today, I think they are sending it to everyone. Scared me because I thought it was an R hahah

Seems they look at Casper a bit more closely than most schools...hope I don't get screwed because I bombed it lol...