2020-2021 Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for those of you who have ranked the campuses, how did you differentiate between peoria and rockford? I have read through previous threads, but am hoping for more current perspectives.

also, do out of state students receive preferential placement for chicago? current students mentioned that this was the case in the past, but that they did not know whether the school is continuing to adhere to this. thank you!

I have only ever lived in big cities. would you advise peoria or rockford (second to chicago, of course)?

I don’t think it’s out of state students that get preference for Chicago it’s foreign students like Canada etc that get preference due to visa stuff but I could be wrong.

Also between Peoria and Rockford I would pick Rockford if you are looking for bigger city experience. Peoria is more down south and the farther south you get the more rural Illinois gets. Nothing wrong with that but Rockford is much closer to Chicago.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don’t think it’s out of state students that get preference for Chicago it’s foreign students like Canada etc that get preference due to visa stuff but I could be wrong.

Also between Peoria and Rockford I would pick Rockford if you are looking for bigger city experience. Peoria is more down south and the farther south you get the more rural Illinois gets. Nothing wrong with that but Rockford is much closer to Chicago.
thank you thank you, that makes sense, super helpful
 
I don’t think it’s out of state students that get preference for Chicago it’s foreign students like Canada etc that get preference due to visa stuff but I could be wrong.

Also between Peoria and Rockford I would pick Rockford if you are looking for bigger city experience. Peoria is more down south and the farther south you get the more rural Illinois gets. Nothing wrong with that but Rockford is much closer to Chicago.
What would the city you’re in have to do with a Visa
 
Could any current students comment on what makes UIC a good school? Ie things they focus on or why people would choose to go there over another school etc...
 
Is there a video tour of any of the campuses or facilities anywhere? I couldn’t find any online and the school did not show one during interview day 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an II. Submitted July. Never sent any update letters. 3.75/515, IS, ORM (I think). Absolutely bombed my VITA a couple months ago so it seems like they don't really take that into consideration lol.
Congrats. I have not done VITA but my app is complete. Am I missing something? Was this required?
 
for those of you who have ranked the campuses, how did you differentiate between peoria and rockford? I have read through previous threads, but am hoping for more current perspectives.

I have only ever lived in big cities. would you advise peoria or rockford (second to chicago, of course)?

(Sorry for responding so late, I didn't notice your question until now but maybe this can help anyone else who is trying to decide.) If you want a more personal anecdote, I grew up around Peoria and love the area enough to want to return and practice medicine there someday. I've never been to Rockford however so I can't really compare them. Peoria is definitely not a big city like you might be used to, but I think it still has a lot of offer as an urban setting, with the added benefits of living in a medium-sized community where you can really get comfortable with your surroundings. The nearby school districts, such as Morton and Washington, are really great too if raising a family is something on your radar.

OSF St. Francis, probably UICOMP's biggest clinical partner, is a fantastic hospital, nationally ranked in fact. Peoria is also home to a Methodist Hospital, the Children's Hospital of Illinois, and Jump Simulation Center which is a state-of-the-art facility that medical students can majorly benefit from. I've shadowed in a few of these settings before and loved the hospitals' culture; compared to the hospital at my undergrad where I've also volunteered, I think the healthcare professionals at Peoria's hospitals truly love what they do and enjoy coming to work. (Whereas at the hospital by my campus, you could tell that no one wanted to be there.) As far as entertainment and things to do, I think there's a wide variety of food, venues, and recreational areas (such as hiking trails) to enjoy; you can read more about them on this thread from r/PeoriaIL.
 
For those who are accepted, when should we expect to see any financial aid or scholarship packages? I was just curious to see if people have already received awards or whether we should be keep our eyes open more in the April/May time frame.
 
I am an OOS student, so I was wondering how would people recommend to rank Peoria and Rockford for campus assignments? I am going to put Chicago first
 
I believe that everyone at the Peoria campus (or at least the vast majority) are Illinois residents or from central or southern Illinois. This makes sense, since they probably want to feed new MDs into the area via the residency programs in Peoria.

I lived in Peoria for 3 years, and it really grew on me, mostly because of the medical community there. Saint Francis is terrific and had a good culture in the department in which I worked. It is a hub for everything between Chicago/Rockford and St. Louis, so a lot of interesting cases get transferred there. The simulation center is massive and recruited Dr. Voz from Northwestern, who has helped it blossom.

I'm originally from Chicago, so moving to Peoria was an adjustment. Funny enough, I had panic attacks when I first moved there because everything was spread out -- horizontal rather than vertical. Peoria also has the same problem with racial segregation that Chicago has. While Peoria has some dangerous neighborhoods, they are easy to avoid and pale in comparison to most of Chicago's South Side. The Peoria downtown is very cute, and the waterfront area has really built up in terms of restaurants. A big concern, though, is that Caterpillar moved its headquarters out of Peoria a few years ago, so I do not know how that will impact the future of Peoria. Also, Peoria has some really gorgeous views. Drive down Grandview Drive. My favorite, though, is the drive west into Peoria on 74. It always got me as the downtown skyline emerged from the hills.

Imo, Rockford is not terrific, but I haven't driven through there in many years. They do have a problem with crime.
 
Guys, dumb question but is accepting UIC's offer on the portal right now binding? Or can I accept and compare other offers from other schools, if applicable? If not, what is the timeline of this because I don't understand this plan to enroll and commit to enroll stuff, quite frankly?
 
Guys, dumb question but is accepting UIC's offer on the portal right now binding? Or can I accept and compare other offers from other schools, if applicable? If not, what is the timeline of this because I don't understand this plan to enroll and commit to enroll stuff, quite frankly?
It's not binding. You have to narrow your choices to 3 schools by April 15th and then commit to enroll at 1 school by May 1st. You can stay on as many waitlists as you want though until like July 1st.

P.s. someone correct my dates if they are wrong
 
I believe that everyone at the Peoria campus (or at least the vast majority) are Illinois residents or from central or southern Illinois. This makes sense, since they probably want to feed new MDs into the area via the residency programs in Peoria.

I lived in Peoria for 3 years, and it really grew on me, mostly because of the medical community there. Saint Francis is terrific and had a good culture in the department in which I worked. It is a hub for everything between Chicago/Rockford and St. Louis, so a lot of interesting cases get transferred there. The simulation center is massive and recruited Dr. Voz from Northwestern, who has helped it blossom.

I'm originally from Chicago, so moving to Peoria was an adjustment. Funny enough, I had panic attacks when I first moved there because everything was spread out -- horizontal rather than vertical. Peoria also has the same problem with racial segregation that Chicago has. While Peoria has some dangerous neighborhoods, they are easy to avoid and pale in comparison to most of Chicago's South Side. The Peoria downtown is very cute, and the waterfront area has really built up in terms of restaurants. A big concern, though, is that Caterpillar moved its headquarters out of Peoria a few years ago, so I do not know how that will impact the future of Peoria. Also, Peoria has some really gorgeous views. Drive down Grandview Drive. My favorite, though, is the drive west into Peoria on 74. It always got me as the downtown skyline emerged from the hills.

Imo, Rockford is not terrific, but I haven't driven through there in many years. They do have a problem with crime.
thank you for sharing your experience. were you a student who did the urbana-peoria track (previous campus system) or did you work in peoria? if the former is true, does this mean that the school does not consider previous residency when determining campus assignment?
 
thank you for sharing your experience. were you a student who did the urbana-peoria track (previous campus system) or did you work in peoria? if the former is true, does this mean that the school does not consider previous residency when determining campus assignment?
I lived in Peoria and worked at the hospital. I did not attend the med school there. That said, I have known many med students at the Peoria campus, most of whom were from the area and none of whom were not Illinois residents. I don't know if they consider previous residency, but I sure hope that they do and would imagine that any ties to central Illinois would be favorable.
 
I lived in Peoria and worked at the hospital. I did not attend the med school there. That said, I have known many med students at the Peoria campus, most of whom were from the area and none of whom were not Illinois residents. I don't know if they consider previous residency, but I sure hope that they do and would imagine that any ties to central Illinois would be favorable.
thank you so much!
 
Could anyone who interviewed explain how the interview times work? It says there will be some waiting times until we actually get interviewed,, do we find that out during our actual interview? Also how many MMI's were there?
 
Could anyone who interviewed explain how the interview times work? It says there will be some waiting times until we actually get interviewed,, do we find that out during our actual interview? Also how many MMI's were there?
There are 7 stations for MMI and a 25 min faculty interview. So depending on which group you are in you can start with either the faculty interview or the MMI. The interview email just gives a general overview, but you will only get the details on interview day.
 
Has anyone here been accepted after 2+ months of getting delayed decision? I feel like most of those accepted after being deferred heard back in a month. Wondering if I’m virtually on the waitlist at this point 🥺
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any knowledge about what they normally do for delayed decision? Been on this list since late November and feels bleak at this point.
 
guys on the delayed list like myself (was delayed in November), just chill. the Odds are actually on our side. at our interview, they said they accept almost 520/670 people, that's literally like 70+ percent chance that if u get an interview u will be eventually accepted. Now sure, everyone wants a direct acceptance, but you guys have to also realize that direct As are probably a minority. Also another side fact, evry interview group only had like 14-15 kids, do you really think they're only gonna accept like 3-5 people per group? That will not add up to 500 acceptances lmao. Like the great Aaron Rodgers has said... R-E-L-A-X
 
So I'm seeing some posts about this and I may not have fully understood things on my interview. Is there a difference between delayed decision (which Im on) and waitlist for UICOM?
 
So I'm seeing some posts about this and I may not have fully understood things on my interview. Is there a difference between delayed decision (which Im on) and waitlist for UICOM?
Delayed decision means that the committee did not come to a decision during the initial meeting in which they reviewed your file, but will continue to review it during future meetings, at which they may accept you. Toward the end of the cycle, they will move those who have yet to be accepted to a formal, ranked waitlist. I do not believe that they outright reject people after interview. Rather, I believe that rejections result from not being taken off of the waitlist.

At my interview, the staff said, "We put people on delayed decision as we are not able to accept everyone at once". Historically, UICOM has accepted 70+ percent of their interview cohort (90+ percent post-II A rate for IS, 60+ for OOS) . This number reflects direct As in combination with As from delayed decision and waitlist.
 
Last edited:
Delayed decision means that the committee did not come to a decision during the initial meeting in which they reviewed your file, but will continue to review it during future meetings, at which they may accept you. Toward the end of the cycle, they will move those who have yet to be accepted to a formal, ranked waitlist. I do not believe that they outright reject people after interview. Rather, I believe that rejections result from not being taken off of the waitlist.

At my interview, the staff said, "We put people on delayed decision as we are not able to accept everyone at once". Historically, UICOM has accepted 70+ percent of their interview cohort (90+ percent post-II A rate for IS, 60+ for OOS) . This number reflects direct As in combination with As from delayed decision and waitlist.
hey, just wondering where you got the 90+ post-II A rate for IS. Was that from their presentation or something?
 
Hi, I have a quick question. For those who got a delayed decision, then sent in a letter of intent and got in, did you just upload the letter to the application portal or did you also email it to them? I kinda want to email it to them to catch their attention but I also don't want to be annoying because when I sent them a letter of interest they asked me to upload it to the portal.🤔
 
Hi, I have a quick question. For those who got a delayed decision, then sent in a letter of intent and got in, did you just upload the letter to the application portal or did you also email it to them? I kinda want to email it to them to catch their attention but I also don't want to be annoying because when I sent them a letter of interest they asked me to upload it to the portal.🤔
I would definitely just upload it to the portal.
 
Hi, I have a quick question. For those who got a delayed decision, then sent in a letter of intent and got in, did you just upload the letter to the application portal or did you also email it to them? I kinda want to email it to them to catch their attention but I also don't want to be annoying because when I sent them a letter of interest they asked me to upload it to the portal.🤔
You already sent a letter of interest and are now wanting to send a letter of intent? How recently did you send the letter of interest?
 
Hi, I have a quick question. For those who got a delayed decision, then sent in a letter of intent and got in, did you just upload the letter to the application portal or did you also email it to them? I kinda want to email it to them to catch their attention but I also don't want to be annoying because when I sent them a letter of interest they asked me to upload it to the portal.🤔
If they asked you to upload letters to the portal then that’s where they should go, don’t overthink it 🙂
 
Hi! I have a question, on my portal it says “we got that you will consider requesting assignment to Peoria.” Does this mean I could not be placed in the other campuses? Just curious as I have been living downtown chicago for years and want to focus on urban populations during medical school. Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I have a question, on my portal it says “we got that you will consider requesting assignment to Peoria.” Does this mean I could not be placed in the other campuses? Just curious as I have been living downtown chicago for years and want to focus on urban populations during medical school. Thanks
My portal on the interview page says the same thing for a different campus. I think it means that they think you'd be a good fit for that campus? But, I definitely don't think it means you can't be placed at a different campus.
 
Hi! I have a question, on my portal it says “we got that you will consider requesting assignment to Peoria.” Does this mean I could not be placed in the other campuses? Just curious as I have been living downtown chicago for years and want to focus on urban populations during medical school. Thanks
Not sure. You should contact them about that. But the Peoria campus has an urban health program. It is located in an urban area and has all of the health problems that larger cities like Chicago have. If you expressed interest in urban health, that may be why they are suggesting Peoria.
 
Hi! I have a question, on my portal it says “we got that you will consider requesting assignment to Peoria.” Does this mean I could not be placed in the other campuses? Just curious as I have been living downtown chicago for years and want to focus on urban populations during medical school. Thanks
Where on the portal does it say this for you?