2020-2021 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's a list they provided us many years back, it's probably still the same. I didn't find the Otoscope to be necessary, there's always the ones in the exam rooms you can use (that normally costs $400+). Scrubs would also be helpful to wear to things like Anatomy Lab. Most clinics require business casual under your white coat. Many people had iPads or some form of tablet to take notes during lectures. I always recommend ECE/MCE students to get the "Perfect H&P Notebook" to help provide template for good history taking in both Simulation and in real life clinic/hospital settings.
Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's to hoping we see some WL movement before the holiday weekend!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Any updates on financial aid awards? Getting a little frustrated

Any updates on financial aid awards? Getting a little frustrated
Honestly at this point every time I email them they just tell me a later date. I just would like to know at this point it is very annoying

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly at this point every time I email them they just tell me a later date. I just would like to know at this point it is very annoying
Just curious did they tell y’all why they are behind with aid packages?

I'm trying to be patient, but this information is actually necessary for a lot of people (particularly those who don't have parents able to cosign on rent/who need evidence of loans in order to sign a lease), and the vast majority of schools released this info in late March/mid-April.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious did they tell y’all why they are behind with aid packages?
New updated system. Completely unacceptable either way. People need to know and have the proof as @lanadelgay124 said some of us don’t have parents able to co-sign and the apartments in GR want you to have like 3x rent 🥴

New updated system. Completely unacceptable either way. People need to know and have the proof as @lanadelgay124 said some of us don’t have parents able to co-sign and the apartments in GR want you to have like 3x rent 🥴
I didn’t think of the impact on housing. Man I hope they get it out soon. It’s causing avoidable stress to an already taxing process.

I think the waitlist yield must have been high, I'm sure there have been some who have gotten off since the last wave reported but odds are they aren't using SDN. Not sure what to think. I've already moved on and am in high spirits going forward. I hope all those on the waitlist still are going for medicine again this next cycle or in the future. We deserve to be physicians, we are fit for this profession, we are more than what we aspire to be!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I think the waitlist yield must have been high, I'm sure there have been some who have gotten off since the last wave reported but odds are they aren't using SDN. Not sure what to think. I've already moved on and am in high spirits going forward. I hope all those on the waitlist still are going for medicine again this next cycle or in the future. We deserve to be physicians, we are fit for this profession, we are more than what we aspire to be!

I get why you might feel this way, I’ve felt similarly too. But I’m trying to be optimistic in that:

A. I don’t think they would’ve sent out that “continued interest” email last week if they were done with waitlist movement.
B. It seems like they might just be busy at the moment? Given folks above haven’t gotten their financial aid packages yet.
C. Outside of that first week of May, we didn’t get any other people on here saying they were accepted off the waitlist after AMCAS’s CTE date.

This, plus MSU’s late CTE date (mid-July), has made for WL acceptances as late as July in years past. I think we should prepare for the next cycle of course, but here’s to hoping something still pulls through.
This, plus MSU’s late CTE date (mid-July), has made for WL acceptances as late as July in years past. I think we should prepare for the next cycle of course, but here’s to hoping something still pulls through.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
On the topic of parking, anyone know if a car is necessary at GR campus?

On the topic of parking, anyone know if a car is necessary at GR campus?
I was told during one of the Q&A's that a car is almost completely necessary (and they unofficially say a car is required), given the travel to clinical sites. In theory you could uber, but it would be difficult and not necessarily reliable. A shortcoming of GR is that public transportation isn't great, and is almost nonexistent in rural (and some suburban) areas.

I get why you might feel this way, I’ve felt similarly too. But I’m trying to be optimistic in that:

A. I don’t think they would’ve sent out that “continued interest” email last week if they were done with waitlist movement.
B. It seems like they might just be busy at the moment? Given folks above haven’t gotten their financial aid packages yet.
C. Outside of that first week of May, we didn’t get any other people on here saying they were accepted off the waitlist after AMCAS’s CTE date.

I really don't think WL movement is done. I imagine they'd send an email if it was (I know they did at their DO school), and def not a continued interest email.

I hope y'all end up in the class this year.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I called and emailed financial aid again today they were able to send me my aid package over email if you guys need it for apartments I would email them because they said the new software portal is not ready still so they don’t know when it will be actually available.

I called and emailed financial aid again today they were able to send me my aid package over email if you guys need it for apartments I would email them because they said the new software portal is not ready still so they don’t know when it will be actually available.
So I also just called and they said CHM has not created the budget yet and they are waiting on that and can not make a financial aid package until they have the information on cost because right now it is still listed at $0. They said to expect more information mid June!? So how did they email you something?

• Dislike
Do you know when fin aid will be disbursed by chance? Hoping it’s before 8/9!

So I also just called and they said CHM has not created the budget yet and they are waiting on that and can not make a financial aid package until they have the information on cost because right now it is still listed at $0. They said to expect more information mid June!? So how did they email you something?
I was told mid-June to July.

Strange, I called and they just said it's cause the system is not up therefore they can't give us our awards. Seems like the financial aid office doesn't have their ducks aligned lol... the timing is quite frustrating though

Strange, I called and they just said it's cause the system is not up therefore they can't give us our awards. Seems like the financial aid office doesn't have their ducks aligned lol... the timing is quite frustrating though
I called they didn’t answer email OFA that’s how I got my aid information

Yup, she sounded appalled when I requested it to be emailed to me.

• Okay...
Thanks! I'll try that.
it is still ridiculous they haven't given us the aid in our portal and even worse the fact they can't give us an exact date of when it will be available. I feel like every other school has theirs already

Okay, update! I emailed OFAMED@msu.edu, and Christy was able to give me a letter detailing/confirming my loan eligibility (though not my exact award) that can be shown to a leasing agent. This is $2210 in living expenses, for reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Okay, update! I emailed OFAMED@msu.edu, and Christy was able to give me a letter detailing/confirming my loan eligibility (though not my exact award) that can be shown to a leasing agent. This is $2210 in living expenses, for reference.
Just emailed as well! Will update y’all what I end up with

Also given 2210$ for living expenses! I think it may be the standard they give to all students?

Any chance they can still move me to Grand Rapids campus?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine at this point they're "full" at each location, but will offer location changes as students who get off WLs potentially go elsewhere. So probably right up until the CTE date (July 14th).

Is financial aid sent out to everyone even if we are PTE not CTE yet? I am worried I wont get all available aid in time, or that it will run out. Also, will they automatically offer certain scholarships? Final question, is the $2110 per month?

Is financial aid sent out to everyone even if we are PTE not CTE yet? I am worried I wont get all available aid in time, or that it will run out. Also, will they automatically offer certain scholarships? Final question, is the $2110 per month?
Sent to everyone, yes (it won't run out; we'll all be offered loans for tuition and COL). I believe all scholarships were "applied for," in that we had to write an essay. $2210/month.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine at this point they're "full" at each location, but will offer location changes as students who get off WLs potentially go elsewhere. So probably right up until the CTE date (July 14th).
Any chance they can still move me to Grand Rapids campus?

Haven’t gotten off the regular WL, but I have noticed most folks who did withdraw their offers at the beginning of the month were almost all Lansing with the exception of one.

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone know the dress code for classes? I know for the clinic they said business casual. So do you guys think in person classes are casual?

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone know the dress code for classes? I know for the clinic they said business casual. So do you guys think in person classes are casual?
I'm hoping this is clarified soon, and I also hope we're not obligated to wear business casual every single day; I will absolutely run out of options lol

I'm hoping this is clarified soon, and I also hope we're not obligated to wear business casual every single day; I will absolutely run out of options lol
Omg same! My closet is literally hoodies and sweatpants so I kinda need to know so I can go buy myself a whole new closet lol!

• Haha
You can show up to class in whatever you want! It's just anatomy you might want to wear scrubs or something you don't mind smelling bad after. They always sell anatomy lab coats in the beginning of the year or if you have your own bring it because you don't want to get splashed on. Hopefully all in person activities gets resumed for your class!

You can show up to class in whatever you want! It's just anatomy you might want to wear scrubs or something you don't mind smelling bad after. They always sell anatomy lab coats in the beginning of the year or if you have your own bring it because you don't want to get splashed on. Hopefully all in person activities gets resumed for your class!
Thank you!!!

Rejection email off the waitlist a few minutes ago, not that disappointed honestly it was expected at this point. Good luck to the rest of you!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users