2020-2021 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question, for all of you that secured apartments already, what did you do about the "income" thing? I mean none of us are working during med school right? Did ya'll have cosigners?

Members don't see this ad.

Question, for all of you that secured apartments already, what did you do about the "income" thing? I mean none of us are working during med school right? Did ya'll have cosigners?
The income thing is pretty annoying but it’s to be expected. The place I signed gave me two options when before I signed. Depending on the apartment type, some required proof that you (or your co-signer) have an income of 3x or 4x your rent in order to get approved (which is very unlikely for accepted med students). The other option was that you had that amount of 3x or 4x your rent in your savings consistently over the last 3 months. While I have that amount currently, I couldn’t show proof that it was there the last 3 months so I had to get a co-signer/guarantor. Take this with a grain of salt since each apartment complex might differ

GREAT QUESTION

I applied with co-signers

I make about 60k rn which is about 2x the rent amount but I took extra precautions and added
parents financial info

the property manger told me she accepts financial aid statement as proof of income

I know some of y’all might not have access to co-signers and so talk to the person handling your app and let them know the situation

Most likely, every apartment complex has worked with students in the past

I really didn’t want to find another place or wait for any other info that may prolong the app!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!!! @premed3i @zen-yatta5. Super helpful. I’m privileged to have co-signers available but I’m sure this is super useful to others who may not!!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Where are people choosing to live? Anyone know what general costs are in GR? Would love any insights :)

Where are people choosing to live? Anyone know what general costs are in GR? Would love any insights :)
You gotta join the Facebook group!
There is a list that was passed around with apartments and places where current students live
For GR the highest rated apartments are 601 bond, icon on bond, and Rowe but these are some of the priciest
I am going to pay 2k a month for a 2bed apartment with my significant other at one of the above places

parking is quite expensive too

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah :/

that was the issue with some apartments I liked in GR!

im signing lease one month early just to secure the apartment I want :/
I am at EL campus and they wouldn't even let me sign a lease early. The only thing that will save me is my family lives an hour from there so I will just commute until I can move in.

It absolutely depends what you're looking for/what price range you're comfy with. The average 1-bedroom price is $1200 (before parking fees, etc.), but you do not have to spend that much, especially if you're okay with roommates. I also recommend the class fb page, and would recommend browsing apartments.com and calling around. A lot of places are full right now, but you can get on waitlists, and apartments will be opening up over the next few months.

It is actually very normal for larger landlords (DTN, MTM, etc) to sign leases for students a year in advance without any proof of income, they just need proof you're a student (schedule or acceptance letter). Income is not expected at all. They know you're getting hella federal loans as med students. I've secured apartments multiple times in under 30 minutes from start to finish (including their credit check) with no income

This might be different if you're leasing from smaller or private landlords since they tend to have less experience with students and want to play it safe

Did you try DTN? They'll lease to anyone and they especially love students
DTN had stuff but I wanted to be close to the medical school so I can walk and I am living alone so I just was looking at one bedrooms only. Plus they were rude when I tried to call and make a tour lol. It is too late anyway I have a lease with Hannah lofts just next year I will look a lot sooner for an apartment

Best of luck to everybody on the WL, hopefully a lot of movement tomorrow 🤞

• Care
For those who are/were reapplicants did you email them the self-assessment? And what happened after you sent it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not too sure if we will have much waitlist movement moving forward but here’s to hoping we do

Not too sure if we will have much waitlist movement moving forward but here’s to hoping we do
I think it's gonna come down to a seat shuffle at this point. With people getting accepted of other waitlists and giving up their seats here.

I think it's gonna come down to a seat shuffle at this point. With people getting accepted of other waitlists and giving up their seats here.

I’m going to say that since there was some movement last week, that this might just be a break week to see if any additional folks have withdrawn after April 30th.

Given previous timelines, I can see another boost in WL removals either next week or the week after that, then the seat shuffle will happen. Here’s to hoping this happens.

• Care
Can someone PM me about where to find the financial info in their student portal?

There should be a scholarship tab under the campus placement tab on your portal; I don't think they're finished awarding them, though!
Alright!
I haven’t seen anything but I’ll check end of day again :) thanks!

Is everyone's assigned NetID pretty much an awkwardly cut-off version of your name? lol mine looks like a mistake where they forgot to finish spelling my name out

Is everyone's assigned NetID pretty much an awkwardly cut-off version of your name? lol mine looks like a mistake where they forgot to finish spelling my name out
Mine is just my last name which I’m not too fond of either bc it feels not personal, but I have to say it’s better than this lol. If you or anyone decides to get it changed can you keep us posted plssss

Withdrew my acceptance today - bittersweet as my father went here and was kinda my dream school for a long time

• Care
Withdrew my acceptance today - bittersweet as my father went here and was kinda my dream school for a long time
Congrats on your scholarship to OU. Thanks for letting us know there are still people withdrawing. Best of luck in medical school!

• Care
I have been wondering and thinking about you making this decision. We finally still made it in one of the toughest application years ever. OUWB is so very lucky to have you!

• Care
Awwww, why am I feeling sad by proxy? I know that had to have been a hard decision. Good luck on all your endeavors, I was a guest student at OU and the campus is truly gorgeous. A lot of fun things to do just down the road at the Village too (decent shopping, good eats).

• Care

That’s the standard form of a NetID at MSU, plus a number in there if you’re not the only one with that last name.

Are there any requirements admitted students need to complete prior to the end of the month?

Who else just got the request to update interest email from msu?

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew my spot on the alternate list. Best of luck to everyone!!!

• Care
Yes and almost a heart attack with it lol. This is good news I hope...
Like a whole heart attack. Somehow in a span of a sec I thought they accepted me then I remembered you get a phone call so I thought it was a denial and then I read the email lol

• Care
Anyone know when we will get our aid package ?
I emailed them again about this they told me, the most likely date will be at the very end of May like the 27th or around that time. I am kinda tired of waiting lol

Does anyone know how many students are at the EL and GR locations?

Really hoping there’s some WL movement soon. We’re about to enter Week 2 of no new acceptances (on here at least) and hoping that doesn’t mean things have slowed down.

Also hope that that “continued interest” email means they’re still looking to accept people, plural.

• Care
Really hoping there’s some WL movement soon. We’re about to enter Week 2 of no new acceptances (on here at least) and hoping that doesn’t mean things have slowed down.

Also hope that that “continued interest” email means they’re still looking to accept people, plural.
🤲🤲🤲🤲🤲

• Care
Does anyone know what typical first year supplies are like? What do we need? Scrubs? Stethoscope? Notebooks?

Does anyone know what typical first year supplies are like? What do we need? Scrubs? Stethoscope? Notebooks?
Here's a list they provided us many years back, it's probably still the same. I didn't find the Otoscope to be necessary, there's always the ones in the exam rooms you can use (that normally costs $400+). Scrubs would also be helpful to wear to things like Anatomy Lab. Most clinics require business casual under your white coat. Many people had iPads or some form of tablet to take notes during lectures. I always recommend ECE/MCE students to get the "Perfect H&P Notebook" to help provide template for good history taking in both Simulation and in real life clinic/hospital settings.

Attachments

• Required Medical Equipment.pdf
    414.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users