2020-2021 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Oklahoma

Members don't see this ad.

Current rising MS2 at OU-OKC. If any of you have any questions about OU as a med school feel free to hit me up either on here or via DM. OU is a great school, but far from perfect, so if you have any questions feel free to ask me!

Hi, I wanted to ask a few question about the OU application process. Firstly, is there really an early application deadline of mid August? Also is there any forums or threads providing any personal statements of applicants that have already been accepted previous years? Lastly, I wanted to ask when would be a good time to have everything ready in the application for example reference letters and MCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I wanted to ask a few question about the OU application process. Firstly, is there really an early application deadline of mid August? Also is there any forums or threads providing any personal statements of applicants that have already been accepted previous years? Lastly, I wanted to ask when would be a good time to have everything ready in the application for example reference letters and MCAT scores?

You want your application in as soon as possible. If you go by the deadlines for med schools, then your application is already late. The lower your stats, the sooner you need them in. You can google personal statements for medical school and find some examples. But they aren’t always the best.

Hello!
Does OU offer in-state tuition to students that are from neighboring states like Texas? Also, is preference given to in-state students? if so, would being from texas help or hurt? (since Texas is a neighboring state)

Hello!
Does OU offer in-state tuition to students that are from neighboring states like Texas? Also, is preference given to in-state students? if so, would being from texas help or hurt? (since Texas is a neighboring state)
OU does give preference to in-state students. Being from Texas may help a little bit. Especially if you have some connection to Oklahoma/OKC. I do not know the answer to your tuition question. Sorry

Reactions: 1 user
I got an email for their secondary application, even though my AMCAS hasn’t been verified yet. In their secondary, there aren’t any essay questions, just questions about residency and military service. Is this right? Can anyone confirm I’m not missing something? Thanks!

I got an email for their secondary application, even though my AMCAS hasn’t been verified yet. In their secondary, there aren’t any essay questions, just questions about residency and military service. Is this right? Can anyone confirm I’m not missing something? Thanks!
historically, the only actual secondary questions have been regarding the Tulsa track.

The letter of recommendation requirement says 1 committee letter + 1 faculty. If I have a packet that contains my committee letter and a bunch of faculty letters would that satisfy that requirement (since it's only 1 PDF)? I also have an additional faculty letter on interfolio that's a duplicate of a letter inside the packet, but can include it if they need 2 PDFs to mark it complete. Sorry if it's a stupid/confusing question.

The letter of recommendation requirement says 1 committee letter + 1 faculty. If I have a packet that contains my committee letter and a bunch of faculty letters would that satisfy that requirement (since it's only 1 PDF)? I also have an additional faculty letter on interfolio that's a duplicate of a letter inside the packet, but can include it if they need 2 PDFs to mark it complete. Sorry if it's a stupid/confusing question.

I'd recommend emailing admissions to get a definitive answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll be fine. It’s always best to check with admissions office to be safe. A lot of people are afraid to reach out but that’s what they are there for! They are super nice.

How does OU decide who to select for oos interviews? From MSAR seems like VERY few applicants get interviews. I am a TX resident with a 75 LM score and lived in Oklahoma for 10+ years. Does anyone know their criteria for extending invites or in general what they prefer from oos applicants or anything lol

How does OU decide who to select for oos interviews? From MSAR seems like VERY few applicants get interviews. I am a TX resident with a 75 LM score and lived in Oklahoma for 10+ years. Does anyone know their criteria for extending invites or in general what they prefer from oos applicants or anything lol

You are literally me (TX, same LM, strong OK ties) haha. Have a relative who has conducted interviews and basically they've said that invites are mainly for people who have higher stats and seem like a good fit from reading through the primary app (would be willing to stay). And the interview process also makes sure that they're not wasting their time accepting you when you'd (probably) end up in Texas. Honestly I applied because I also have family and can see myself going there but I'm fully prepared for it to just be a donation to the admissions office.

You are literally me (TX, same LM, strong OK ties) haha. Have a relative who has conducted interviews and basically they've said that invites are mainly for people who have higher stats and seem like a good fit from reading through the primary app (would be willing to stay). And the interview process also makes sure that they're not wasting their time accepting you when you'd (probably) end up in Texas. Honestly I applied because I also have family and can see myself going there but I'm fully prepared for it to just be a donation to the admissions office.

Basically this. Have high stats and some compelling ties to the state.

Reactions: 1 users
Question for anyone. Has anybody ever heard of a reapplicant not completely redoing their personal statement or just changing one or two paragraphs. I know they told us to redo it and be a new applicant. I received good feedback about mine and figured maybe it would be ok if I just change the wording and maybe one or two paragraphs. Just wondering if anyone got a negative result after not changing or barley changing their personal statement, even though they say to completely change it.

Question for anyone. Has anybody ever heard of a reapplicant not completely redoing their personal statement or just changing one or two paragraphs. I know they told us to redo it and be a new applicant. I received good feedback about mine and figured maybe it would be ok if I just change the wording and maybe one or two paragraphs. Just wondering if anyone got a negative result after not changing or barley changing their personal statement, even though they say to completely change it.

I feel like it would be in your best interest to re-write the personal statement, but I have no clue. Maybe create a thread and someone with experience with this can answer

It’s September bois who’s ready to finally hopefully hear back

First-year checking in. Some students helped me during my application cycle here so I want to pay it forward. Feel free to message me/ask me anything! good luck!

First-year checking in. Some students helped me during my application cycle here so I want to pay it forward. Feel free to message me/ask me anything! good luck!
Do you know if scm admission is dependent on getting into ou main campus first?

Another MS1 here! Feel free to ask me any questions you might have!

Is OU gonna do online interviews or are they being like OSU and wanting in person?

Is OU gonna do online interviews or are they being like OSU and wanting in person?

I THINK they’ll be online but I’m just an M2 who thought I heard them say that one point. Take with a grain of salt.

It was sep 27 last year. So probably next week?

OU sends out interview invitations starting late September.
First round of interviews in October based on MCAT scores and GPA.
OU sends out a few acceptances early on and will then send out the main decisions for all of the pre-Christmas interviews in December. (December 13 last year) Then everyone who interviews after Christmas will get a decision in March.

Not sure if timeline changes this year due to COVID

70% of the preinterview score comes from MCAT, and 30% from GPA. OU interviews based on that score, Then after the interview you get a interview score that gets added to your pre interview score. If the total score is above a certain threshold you get an acceptance, if it within a certain range you get waitlisted, and if it below that range you get an R.

Reactions: 5 users
Really surprised they didn’t start last week

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like I would’ve heard about it though, people at OU love to talk

• Haha
I think I read somewhere on their site that it'll be in person. If I find the page again I'll link it here.

OU-Tulsa is all virtual; I imagine OKC is the same but I haven't talked to anyone there about it.

OU-Tulsa is all virtual; I imagine OKC is the same but I haven't talked to anyone there about it.
Last I heard, it’s all virtual. If residency interviews are going to be conducted online, I highly doubt med school ones will be.

again, anyone please feel free to message me about the interview process, acceptances, or how going to med school during a pandemic is.

I will say, the faculty have been great so far at adapting on the fly and making the best/most reasonable accommodations possible.

Anyone who has submitted at the beginning of August heard back yet? (Would be nice to know if you're high, mid, or low stats too)

Anyone who has submitted at the beginning of August heard back yet? (Would be nice to know if you're high, mid, or low stats too)
I submitted 7/27 and haven't heard anything. OOS with no connection. 511 MCAT and 3.5 GPA.