2022-2023 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One thing that I really like about OU that they highlight a lot of in the first two years is the Module system where you are assigned a mod with about 14 to 15 other classmates where you each have your own desk, discussion room, lockers, small kitchenette, etc. and basically these people will be right with you for the next two years. While the mod system is sort of what you make of it, my mod is very close and includes some of my best friends that I may not have otherwise met beyond my friends not in my mod. In a way they almost give you a group of people to trauma bond with while also serving as your partners for a lot of group clinical work. Obviously its sort of luck of the draw but something that I have loved.

I also really like how much OU prioritizes early exposure to different fields, there is always at least three interest groups for different subspecialties going on, and with each of those there are workshops and doctors that come in and talk about what you can do to pursue that field. Faculty are very accessible and care about your grades, and while they acknowledge it is hard, they also will work with you and help you improve rather than let you flounder like a lot of other schools and will help you put together things that you my be missing in your skills that can take you above and beyond. (I wouldn't say this one is as unique but a positive so far with my time here.)

Edit: As well attendings are directly involved in our clinical and lecture courses, all the way up to the chiefs and administrators of each department and even they make themselves accessible to be discuss with you course of actions in pursuing a specialty and taking a first-hand role in our teaching. It can be scary trying to interact with attendings and residents in the field when we are medical students but OU gives you a lot of opportunities (if you take them) to make connections with doctors that can have a tremendous impact in mentorship and teaching. Again, something that you have to sort of grab by the horns but I've heard may not be the same at all schools.
Amazing!!! Thank you for such a thorough response!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for sharing all this helpful information!
I have a question about interviewing for both the OKC COM and SCM. My SCM interview is January, but I am interviewing for OKC COM this month. When do they notify their decision after the interview? Do they wait until I finish my SCM interview in January? Is it possible to be accepted at one program but not the other?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for sharing all this helpful information!
I have a question about interviewing for both the OKC COM and SCM. My SCM interview is January, but I am interviewing for OKC COM this month. When do they notify their decision after the interview? Do they wait until I finish my SCM interview in January? Is it possible to be accepted at one program but not the other?

As far as I am aware is that your COM is the main important interview in terms of acceptance to medical school as a whole. You need to be accepted to the COM before you can be accepted to the SCM, however you can be accepted into the COM while being rejected to the SCM meaning that you will only have the choice of going to the main campus in Oklahoma City. I interviewed and was accepted to both but ultimately chose the OKC route, depending on when you get your acceptance will determine if you find out at the same time or if you find out about COM while awaiting SCM interview.

Reactions: 1 users
As far as I am aware is that your COM is the main important interview in terms of acceptance to medical school as a whole. You need to be accepted to the COM before you can be accepted to the SCM, however you can be accepted into the COM while being rejected to the SCM meaning that you will only have the choice of going to the main campus in Oklahoma City. I interviewed and was accepted to both but ultimately chose the OKC route, depending on when you get your acceptance will determine if you find out at the same time or if you find out about COM while awaiting SCM interview.

Thank you !

Good luck to anyone with interviews today and for the future dates coming up!

For those of you who had your interviews already how was the format?

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who had your interviews already how was the format?

They ask you like 7 questions related to the AAMC competencies. Then you have a 5 min break where they read over your application and rec letters. Then you meet back and they ask you unstructured stuff

I'm not quite sure if it ever got added to my file or not, however I did even send an update letter post-interview after I found out that I was waitlisted. At least for my peace of mind I found that it was better for me to self-advocate and update and have it not read, than then to not write it when it might have actually made a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have an idea of their MCAT cut off score this year? I know it changes based on their average among applicants. I got an interview last year but was among the last so I’m nervous their cut off went up this year. (I know I just need to wait patiently… but dang that’s hard.) :)

Does anyone have an idea of their MCAT cut off score this year? I know it changes based on their average among applicants. I got an interview last year but was among the last so I’m nervous their cut off went up this year. (I know I just need to wait patiently… but dang that’s hard.) :)
Interview invites aren't sent just in order of scores but off a number of factors. I couldn't tell you what the cut off is likely though but it is generally below the class average incoming MCAT by a solid amount.

Interview invites aren't sent just in order of scores but off a number of factors. I couldn't tell you what the cut off is likely though but it is generally below the class average incoming MCAT by a solid amount.

I believe all Oklahoma schools have a cutoff of 495 MCAT and 3.0 GPA. Their class of 2026 had an average MCAT of 508

Whelp I bombed that interview. Wasn't expecting any of their questions even through they were hella basic. Oh well

Whelp I bombed that interview. Wasn't expecting any of their questions even through they were hella basic. Oh well
Idk, I feel like it's hard to tell how well you actually did in an interview as an interviewee, so you never know. Anyway, if they like you they like you and I seriously doubt tripping up on a couple of questions would make the difference.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if it's possible/how to sign up for campus tours at the SCM campus?

Does anyone know if it's possible/how to sign up for campus tours at the SCM campus?
You could email their office of admissions or just the school of community medicine in general and I'm sure that they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Does anyone know when we should hear back on getting accepted or not if we've already had our interview? I know they said December to mid-March but is there a more specific timeline?

Does anyone know when we should hear back on getting accepted or not if we've already had our interview? I know they said December to mid-March but is there a more specific timeline?
Not an expert. But given the schedule last year, I'm guessing December 14th ish? From what I understand, everyone hears something in December. Maybe an A or maybe a deferral. Deferral means your application remains in the "Review" pile, and they want to interview more applicants before they can make a conclusive decision as to whether or not you will be accepted. And then in March, those who have been deferred will either hear a R, WL, or A. But I just gleaned all this from looking at previous threads. Maybe @WillOfTheSon can chime in?

They are hopeful that they will be sending out decisions soon after the board meeting on December 8. Apparently, they had a lot more interviews than in previous years so deferrals will be more common this year

Not an expert. But given the schedule last year, I'm guessing December 14th ish? From what I understand, everyone hears something in December. Maybe an A or maybe a deferral. Deferral means your application remains in the "Review" pile, and they want to interview more applicants before they can make a conclusive decision as to whether or not you will be accepted. And then in March, those who have been deferred will either hear a R, WL, or A. But I just gleaned all this from looking at previous threads. Maybe @WillOfTheSon can chime in?
I know that at least on the boards it was more common to get a deferral, I am not aware of a lot of people getting rejected outright in December, but then again I also know a lot of my classmates were accepted in December so I think it is just variable. I remember first notification came out the Wednesday of my finals week during undergrad. Then essential radio silence while they did more interviews in January/February before hearing back about final decisions/wait-list in March. Then waitlist movement is it's own different ball game.

Thank you!

They are hopeful that they will be sending out decisions soon after the board meeting on December 8. Apparently, they had a lot more interviews than in previous years so deferrals will be more common this year
Is there just a lot more people applying and who meet their cutoff (is this cycle a lot more competetive) or did they simply decide to do more interviews before the new year?

I know that at least on the boards it was more common to get a deferral, I am not aware of a lot of people getting rejected outright in December, but then again I also know a lot of my classmates were accepted in December so I think it is just variable. I remember first notification came out the Wednesday of my finals week during undergrad. Then essential radio silence while they did more interviews in January/February before hearing back about final decisions/wait-list in March. Then waitlist movement is it's own different ball game.
Gotcha! Thank you for the input!

This is true. It's also often on the last day of our school before winter break, so my guess would be Friday 12/16.

So tomorrow is (possibly) the day! Anyone else nervous?

Can't speak to this year but I do know that last year's decisions came out mid-day Wednesday, or at least that is when I received mine.

Accepted with a choice of campus!! Boomertexas is BoomerOklahoma once again!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations to all of you!!! What a wonderful Holiday gift!

Just got the call! Congrats to everyone else!!

Just got the call as well! Wasn't expecting a phone call was in the middle of a meeting and ran out lol

Reactions: 4 users
I got the call today as well! I guess I'm no longer a DeferredDunce :p

Anyone gotten news this afternoon? Or was it mostly sent out this morning?