2021-2022 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A ton of people waitlisted/deferred get in. I don’t have an estimated number or percentage but it is a lot. Don’t lose hope!
Really hoping you're right, trying to stay hopeful and just keep on keeping on through this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
OU's waitlist is different from deferred.
Deferred means they'll just review your application with the spring interviews and make a decision. The waitlist comes from that decision and is only if a spot opens up.

Thankful to have gotten an acceptance back in December, does anyone know when/how financial aid is offered?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thankful to have gotten an acceptance back in December, does anyone know when/how financial aid is offered?
Mine was in March and then got an increase a few months later

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I have an interview at OUCOM next week (YAY!) it is one of my top choices. Does anyone know where I can find more info on special programs or student groups and current research at the school? I've navigated through the website several times and am having trouble finding what I am looking for!

Hi! I have an interview at OUCOM next week (YAY!) it is one of my top choices. Does anyone know where I can find more info on special programs or student groups and current research at the school? I've navigated through the website several times and am having trouble finding what I am looking for!
OU doesn’t really have any special programs like you might be used to seeing at other schools so that’s why you can’t find any info.

Research is handled on a department level so you’ll have to look at the radiology, urology, FM department sites for example.

OUCOM is unique in that they have their own student groups and there is the OUHSC student groups. So check out the OUHSC student affairs page for those. As for OUCOM, you pretty much have a group for every popular specialty with a handful of non specialty related groups.

OU doesn’t really have any special programs like you might be used to seeing at other schools so that’s why you can’t find any info.

Research is handled on a department level so you’ll have to look at the radiology, urology, FM department sites for example.

OUCOM is unique in that they have their own student groups and there is the OUHSC student groups. So check out the OUHSC student affairs page for those. As for OUCOM, you pretty much have a group for every popular specialty with a handful of non specialty related groups.
Awesome thank you! Do you mind sharing why you chose OU?

Awesome thank you! Do you mind sharing why you chose OU?
Real quick, I can get you a list of interest/student groups for the COM if it’s important. I need to write it down that you couldn’t find a list online and take that to Stuco/student affairs.

Well, to be completely transparent, I’m married and had a family. We lived 5 minutes away from the COM so initially that was the most important factor. But I also knew of a few people that were already student that spoke highly of the culture and program.

I can 100% say that they were correct. When I toured and interviewed, they culture and people stood out. Especially compared to others I went on. I 100% would’ve chosen OU over the other school I was accepted at even as an out of state student.

The admin has been so incredible flexible and thoughtful with regards to Covid. They’ve worked hard to give us the best and most normal experience in med school. For example, most school just went all online and did so for anatomy. They didn’t. Most school don’t offer tours now. OU still does. They are incredibly responsive to student feedback on courses and curriculum. Every year, courses change bc of student feedback. For the better.

The module system is great. OKC is a pretty cool area if you make an effort. The dedicated time for step 1 studying is awesome. They do a great job at selecting med students that fit the culture they are trying to create. My classmates are super friendly, caring, and helpful.

There’s not much bad that I have experienced yet. One thing that could be improved is the streamlining of research opportunities and information. But that is already being solved now. OU as a whole (all campuses) are becoming more research focused for the better. More dollars are being put into it. It’s also going to be more important with step 1 being pass or fail.

Happy to elaborate more if need be. I know it’s hard to believe an internet stranger but these are my genuine thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Real quick, I can get you a list of interest/student groups for the COM if it’s important. I need to write it down that you couldn’t find a list online and take that to Stuco/student affairs.

Well, to be completely transparent, I’m married and had a family. We lived 5 minutes away from the COM so initially that was the most important factor. But I also knew of a few people that were already student that spoke highly of the culture and program.

I can 100% say that they were correct. When I toured and interviewed, they culture and people stood out. Especially compared to others I went on. I 100% would’ve chosen OU over the other school I was accepted at even as an out of state student.

The admin has been so incredible flexible and thoughtful with regards to Covid. They’ve worked hard to give us the best and most normal experience in med school. For example, most school just went all online and did so for anatomy. They didn’t. Most school don’t offer tours now. OU still does. They are incredibly responsive to student feedback on courses and curriculum. Every year, courses change bc of student feedback. For the better.

The module system is great. OKC is a pretty cool area if you make an effort. The dedicated time for step 1 studying is awesome. They do a great job at selecting med students that fit the culture they are trying to great. My classmates are super friendly, caring, and helpful.

There’s not much bad that I have experienced yet. One thing that could be improved is the streamlining of research opportunities and information. But that is already being solved now. OU as a whole (all campuses) are becoming more research focused for the better. More dollars are being put into it. It’s also going to be more important with step 1 being psd or fail.

Happy to elaborate more if need be. I know it’s hard to believe an internet stranger but these are my genuine thoughts.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write out a thorough and intentional response. I appreciate that!!

I was able to find a list of groups after you told me to look at the OUHSC website!

I have heard that OU does a great job at listening to their students' needs and making efforts to change and adapt to help out the students and I love that. My husband and I currently live in OKC and we are really happy here so that's also another reason it is my top choice school.

OU does have the community med track in Tulsa. You mentioned that you live in OKC, so I don't know if you're wanting to move, but if you're interested in SCM, PM me

Anyone have any interview advice for the SCM track? Really interested in the program just lack tangible evidence that I would be a good fit in a community medicine program.

Just wondering when they plan to send decisions. Will they send any acceptances before mid-March at this point?

Anyone have any interview advice for the SCM track? Really interested in the program just lack tangible evidence that I would be a good fit in a community medicine program.
I wrote some tips earlier in this thread, but re-posting here if it helps anyone!

With their focus on community medicine, it would be a good idea to think about answers that have to do with that. I think I talked a lot about how we need to understand and take care of communities as a whole just as much as the individuals there, what I learned about our local community's health from volunteering at a free clinic and patterns I saw in those patients, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering when they plan to send decisions. Will they send any acceptances before mid-March at this point?
I'm not quite sure, I'm in the same boat you are in, but as far as I've seen its basically just been mid-march and not much before. I could be wrong though.

Depends on when the last OKC interview was.

In 2019, decisions went out early March (they were running behind that cycle). 2020 was the second week of Feb. Not sure about last year.
At this point, the rest of their decisions usually go out at the same time.

Depends on when the last OKC interview was.

In 2019, decisions went out early March (they were running behind that cycle). 2020 was the second week of Feb. Not sure about last year.
At this point, the rest of their decisions usually go out at the same time.
Do we know if they said they'd know by mid-march for the 2020 cycle as well? Just interesting seeing if they will be right on that schedule or if we will get a surprise decision at any point before.

IIRC, yes. That is the standard company line every year

Does anyone know the last interview day?

OU does have the community med track in Tulsa. You mentioned that you live in OKC, so I don't know if you're wanting to move, but if you're interested in SCM, PM me
Hey! I have an interview with SCM next week, and was wondering if you had any advice on how to prepare for it?

Hey! I have an interview with SCM next week, and was wondering if you had any advice on how to prepare for it?
I know this wasn’t directed at me but I’m an MS3 at OU SCM.

The SCM interview was super super chill when I went through it. Just know the answer to “why community medicine” and give examples of ways you’ve given back to your community or ways you’d be interested in giving back. They really just want to get to know you as a person and see if you’ll make a good fit. Best of luck!

Is there a Facebook/GroupMe/Etc. for each individual class? Also has anyone received their letter in the mail yet?

Is there a Facebook/GroupMe/Etc. for each individual class? Also has anyone received their letter in the mail yet?
OU created a Facebook page for our class but we don't use it at all anymore. Our class does have two main GroupMe threads (one serious one, one less serious like for memes and such :) ) that were created by students. I remember my mailed acceptance letter taking longer than expected to arrive. I was accepted in mid-December 2019 and I don't think the letters arrived until February 2020 at least.

OU created a Facebook page for our class but we don't use it at all anymore. Our class does have two main GroupMe threads (one serious one, one less serious like for memes and such :) ) that were created by students. I remember my mailed acceptance letter taking longer than expected to arrive. I was accepted in mid-December 2019 and I don't think the letters arrived until February 2020 at least.
i believe my letter was mid to late February so that checks out

I know OU doesn't accept update letters, but do they accept letter of intents? Would this help for someone that's been deferred?

I know OU doesn't accept update letters, but do they accept letter of intents? Would this help for someone that's been deferred?
I was in your exact same position and reached out to them about it. They do accept them, but said that they couldn't "recalculate" anything and would only add them to your file if you had an upcoming interview. Basically, it sounds like they're really only helpful pre-interview. I still sent one in and was accepted off the waitlist later in the cycle.

tl;dr: they probably don't help, but they also probably don't hurt, so do what gives you the most peace.

I was in your exact same position and reached out to them about it. They do accept them, but said that they couldn't "recalculate" anything and would only add them to your file if you had an upcoming interview. Basically, it sounds like they're really only helpful pre-interview. I still sent one in and was accepted off the waitlist later in the cycle.

tl;dr: they probably don't help, but they also probably don't hurt, so do what gives you the most peace.
Did you send one post-deferral or post-official WL? Also did you just email it to the base admissions email when you did send one in? Thanks for all your help!

Did you send one post-deferral or post-official WL? Also did you just email it to the base admissions email when you did send one in? Thanks for all your help!
Np. Post-official WL. Yep, just sent it to the base admissions email.

At worst, at OU, it’s a net neutral. At best, it helps. I’d send one in. But I’m pro-advocate for yourself and love of OU

At worst, at OU, it’s a net neutral. At best, it helps. I’d send one in. But I’m pro-advocate for yourself and love of OU
Do you think with a rough month till final decision for deferred (at max) that it'd be helpful to send one now, or wait till the official WL/R to see if we even make it into the WL group?

I don’t think it really matters sending a letter. I’m a current first year at Ou. By the time you’ve been deferred they already factored everything you have a score and than you’re like ranked. So in March when they do a big wave of acceptances rejection or waitlist you’Lee just going to a list to be ranked. Letter of intent isn’t gonna matter. In my interview I let them know I was all in but I think that’s the best you can do in my opinion.

Do you think with a rough month till final decision for deferred (at max) that it'd be helpful to send one now, or wait till the official WL/R to see if we even make it into the WL group?
I’d give it a few more weeks

I know this wasn’t directed at me but I’m an MS3 at OU SCM.

The SCM interview was super super chill when I went through it. Just know the answer to “why community medicine” and give examples of ways you’ve given back to your community or ways you’d be interested in giving back. They really just want to get to know you as a person and see if you’ll make a good fit. Best of luck!
thank you!!

If the AdCom knew how many times I have checked my email since my interview, they would reject me for being insane.
Does anyone know if this is the last week for interviews?

If the AdCom knew how many times I have checked my email since my interview, they would reject me for being insane.
Does anyone know if this is the last week for interviews?
as far as i know, yes

Hello everyone! I was told last week that decisions would be coming out on the 17th or 18th, which has since passed. Does anyone have an updated estimate on when decisions will go out?

Hello everyone! I was told last week that decisions would be coming out on the 17th or 18th, which has since passed. Does anyone have an updated estimate on when decisions will go out?
Could they have meant Mar. 17 or 18? I thought that was when decisions were sent in previous cycles.

Did an Adcom tell you the 17th or 18th?

I figured it would be last week of Feb / first week of March based on what we were told during our interview

I was told during my interview in January to expect hearing back by mid March!

Did an Adcom tell you the 17th or 18th?

I figured it would be last week of Feb / first week of March based on what we were told during our interview
Not sure if its the same but assuming it is, the applicants that got deferred who interviewed pre-december were told that mid-march was when final decisions could be expected.

Hi everyone! I was accepted back in December, and I was wondering if there has been like a FB page or groupme set up for class of 2026 yet?

And kind of a follow up question: where do most OUCOM students live or does any current students have housing recommendations?

And kind of a follow up question: where do most OUCOM students live or does any current students have housing recommendations?
most people either rent houses or apartments right near campus, in deep deuce, or midtown areas.

Either drafted for WWIII or OUCOM next month - which will it be?

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know when we will hear back? Last interview was Feb 17th soooo should be anytime now right?

They sent out the 1st round the Wednesday before Winter break, so I'm thinking next week.

Anyone know when we will hear back? Last interview was Feb 17th soooo should be anytime now right?
I've seen people have called the admissions office and asked in previous year's threads. Maybe try that if you're feeling brave, and definitely share what they say!