2022-2023 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any insight from current students or others on whether calls will continue tomorrow or if this means deferrals? Was expecting an update this afternoon and now am not sure what to think

Members don't see this ad.

They also left me a voicemail with the A yesterday morning. Interesting that there wasn’t anyone who heard anything today

Reactions: 1 user
A question for current students:

Are preclinical exams nbme based or do the professors write their own? Also, is this something that matters a lot?

Members don't see this ad :)
A question for current students:

Are preclinical exams nbme based or do the professors write their own? Also, is this something that matters a lot?
Many preclinical classes have NBME exams, but also we had a good amount written by our faculty. Final exams tended to be NBME's, while exams at other times in each course and a few of the finals were written "in-house".

Reactions: 1 users
For those who received an A these last few days, what was your interview date?

Many preclinical classes have NBME exams, but also we had a good amount written by our faculty. Final exams tended to be NBME's, while exams at other times in each course and a few of the finals were written "in-house".

I’ve heard some in-house exams can be somewhat irrelevant to step material at other schools, is this the case for OU or do they generally do well at testing step material?

Does OU accept letters of intent/interest? Asking for a friend
Based on previous discussion they do BUT they don't matter to much post interview. They will add it to your file but it wont recalculate your score. Pre interview the interviewers will see it when they look at your file so it can come up in discussion

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if they will continue going through interviews this week, or if the rest of us will wait until after winter break for an update?

I’ve heard some in-house exams can be somewhat irrelevant to step material at other schools, is this the case for OU or do they generally do well at testing step material?
I felt like most in-house exams were mostly relevant, though they were able to throw in more random questions if they wanted to. Overall, I think OU did a good job of introducing us to Step-like questions. Others can chime in if they thought otherwise!

I can't speak for Step specifically as I have not taken it yet, and have currently had only one NBME (our Anatomy generalized final), but from my general knowledge OU likes to try and keep exams towards STEP-style questions so you aren't blindsided. For anatomy I found the NBME far easier than some of the in-house exams, but I know that the reverse is true for some other classes. There is definitely some info that may be emphasized more in-house compared to Step, and some content may be shifted around and taught in different sections rather than just covering things in order per-se of First Aid.

Personally I'm not huge on in-house exams compared to only NBME's because it requires you to utilize in-house materials more than just being able to pull up the ANKING deck and just powering through that. That's really class dependent though, just from people I know at other schools having NBME only sounds pretty nice (but that's just my two cents).

Early November here, in the same boat
Late October here and same. Did they say that we should find out (either way) by the end of December in other interviews too? I can't remember specifically but December ends tomorrow so I assume an update isn't going to happen by then.

Late October here and same. Did they say that we should find out (either way) by the end of December in other interviews too? I can't remember specifically but December ends tomorrow so I assume an update isn't going to happen by then.

They did say that. Honestly it’s kind of weird that they aren’t at least emailing everyone in the event they’re behind.

They did say that. Honestly it’s kind of weird that they aren’t at least emailing everyone in the event they’re behind.
I feel like they said it would be about 8 weeks, but Christmas/New Years will probably add a week or two?

I feel like they said it would be about 8 weeks, but Christmas/New Years will probably add a week or two?

Interesting. I interviewed mid October and they said we’d hear back by mid December but that hasn’t been the case for my peers who interviewed around that time.

For those of you who were offered an acceptance, did they send an email mentioning something about a two week window to respond to the offer? Does this mean I have to make a decision on the offer through the portal by the end of that two week period? If so, what happens if I do not say anything? I am just kind of confused on what this two week deadline window is for.

Hey all- got the Rejection email today, interviewed 10-30. Goodluck to the rest!

• Care
Rejected post II today via email. Very disappointed. Best of luck to everyone else!

• Care
post interview R today. Interviewed early November, 510 4.0, OOS. Y’all keep on keepin on

• Care
post interview R today. Interviewed early November, 510 4.0, OOS. Y’all keep on keepin on

It must’ve been rough this year. I was 509 3.98 in state URM and rejected today as well.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who were offered an acceptance, did they send an email mentioning something about a two week window to respond to the offer? Does this mean I have to make a decision on the offer through the portal by the end of that two week period? If so, what happens if I do not say anything? I am just kind of confused on what this two week deadline window is for.
Yeah you need to confirm the seat on the portal within two weeks and I think it started Jan 2nd because of the holidays. Have to confirm and both portals.

Got accepted to either campus Thursday afternoon. Can anybody tell me they like in the OKC or SCM track, they both sound great, but was hoping to hear from students and what they like about their track before I decide.

Last edited:
Got accepted to either campus Thursday afternoon. Can anybody tell me they like in the OKC or SCM track, they both sound great, but was hoping to hear from students and what they like about their track before I decide.
I can't speak to the specific SCM experience, I can say that the OKC campus allured me much more with accessibility to everything around us. OUHSC has 7 medical colleges, then it is connected to the only Trauma 1 center in the state, a children's hospital, Dean McGee Ophthalmology, Stephenson Cancer Center, and more. I didn't want to risk curving some options or making it harder by not having access to some events or resources. I can't speak to the SCM track, I know it has a lot of upside for people interested in community medicine, advocacy (though there are some benefits in OKC being very close to the capital), and extra courses that we do not take here in OKC. I also went to undergrad out of state (though I am from in-state) so socially I had a draw of being with more people and closer accessibility to interest group events. If anyone from SCM wants to chime in on their side, I know that I only have the perspective from some people I know there and an outsider looking in.

I can't speak to the specific SCM experience, I can say that the OKC campus allured me much more with accessibility to everything around us. OUHSC has 7 medical colleges, then it is connected to the only Trauma 1 center in the state, a children's hospital, Dean McGee Ophthalmology, Stephenson Cancer Center, and more. I didn't want to risk curving some options or making it harder by not having access to some events or resources. I can't speak to the SCM track, I know it has a lot of upside for people interested in community medicine, advocacy (though there are some benefits in OKC being very close to the capital), and extra courses that we do not take here in OKC. I also went to undergrad out of state (though I am from in-state) so socially I had a draw of being with more people and closer accessibility to interest group events. If anyone from SCM wants to chime in on their side, I know that I only have the perspective from some people I know there and an outsider looking in.
Do SCM students get access to the same kind of rotations as OKC during their third year and fourth year of rotations?

Do SCM students get access to the same kind of rotations as OKC during their third year and fourth year of rotations?
I have no clue how the SCM rotations will work for the SCM because for the upcoming matriculating class they're changing the third year rotation system to a longitudinal system for synchronous training throughout the entire year rather than a traditional block system (which I have no clue how that works). As far as I am aware there are no plans to change the third-year rotations for the OKC campus.

SCM students do the same rotations third year. Both campuses allow you to do non-core rotation selective on either campus as well. For example, almost all selectives are offered on both campuses, but pediatric emergency medicine is only in okc and tribal medicine is only in Tulsa, but you can visit either campus for a two week selective regardless of your home campus.

I have no clue how the SCM rotations will work for the SCM because for the upcoming matriculating class they're changing the third year rotation system to a longitudinal system for synchronous training throughout the entire year rather than a traditional block system (which I have no clue how that works). As far as I am aware there are no plans to change the third-year rotations for the OKC campus.
SCM is going to start offering a 3 year MD for 2-3 students per year starting next year who will do the longitudinal system, but the other remaining students will still rotate just like they always have during the 3rd year.

I've never felt like I'm missing out by being in Tulsa.
SCM students take lifestyle medicine during the first two years, which is an extra class that OKC does not take. The humanities class is also different. OKC does take one, but I don't think it's exactly the same. Core rotations are done in Tulsa, but selectives can be done on either campus. SCM also offers a tuition scholarship for public health. You can do either a certificate (just the 5 core classes) or the full MPH (have to take a year off). The school does a pretty good job of making sure students have equal opportunities. If there's a summer research thing that you're dying to do in OKC, there's no reason that they wouldn't take a Tulsa student. If you're super in to bench research, we are a little limited on that. There is an immunology lab that does bench research, but most of the other research is either clinically-based or public health-ish stuff. There's no shortage of research opportunities however, but if you want to sit in a lab and pipette things or whatever, that's limited.

Has anyone heard anything about scholarships, or anything at all in the last couple weeks? I’m starting to think I didn't accept the offer correctly

There was an email sent out earlier today with some information but also saying they’ll be another email about scholarships soon.

Any news on the last interview rounds? Also does anyone know what the timeline looks like for December deferred students?

I have been on a pre-interview hold for a while now. Does anyone know if OU accepts updates/LOI for pre-interview applicants? If so, should I send them via an email? I do not see anywhere in the portal to upload documents. Thank you for the help!

Any news on the last interview rounds? Also does anyone know what the timeline looks like for December deferred students?

I interviewed with COM last month and SCM this week. They told us to expect a response by mid-March so I assume that will kind of be their last big group decision timeline and then it would be random waitlist after that? Because I think they only have a couple more weeks of interviews… I was trying to remember the available dates when I scheduled mine and there weren’t many left if I remember correctly.