2020-2021 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 , does anyone know the odds of acceptance post deferral?
Well I'm talking to a friend who's a student at ou now. He's guessing that odds should be a bit better than 50/50 because they basically wait to interview everyone left then pick from the top of that list. So since people who interviewed in fall should technically have higher LM, they might be more likely to be picked first. It's all guesses tho. If anyone knows some more solid stuff about how they do it I'd trust that more.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also got deferred this morning despite feeling like my interview experience was overwhelmingly positive. Does anyone have info/statistics on post-deferral acceptances? IS, LM 74.
Right? I felt like my interview went very smoothly. It wasn't stellar or anything but I felt good about it overall so I was kinda surprised with the deferral. IS, LM 70 btw.

Reactions: 1 user
Right? I felt like my interview went very smoothly. It wasn't stellar or anything but I felt good about it overall so I was kinda surprised with the deferral. IS, LM 70 btw.
Agreed. I didn't feel like my interview was stellar, but it definitely felt ok. LM 71-74ish depending on how much you care about my post-bacc vs cGPA.

Reactions: 1 users
accepted 12/17 lm 77 interview 11/8 and 12/3. IS

Anyone know if when we accept the offer in the two portals if we’re supposed to get a confirmation email?

Last edited:
Does anyone know of people last year or the cycles before who were accepted after a deferral? From last years thread it looks like most were WLs, so just wondering. Having a hard time quieting my mind about this :/

• Care
Some schools will waitlist early on, some schools (like OU) defer. It's basically the same thing. The schools that waitlist early on, but still interview after waitlisting some applicants, don't have a true waitlist - it's a defer list. (Compared to a true waitlist, where all seats are full and they're waiting for an open spot).
If you were deferred, you'll most likely hear back when the final round of decisions go out, late Feb/early March. They want to interview the rest of the candidates, then they'll make their decisions.
Well I'm talking to a friend who's a student at ou now. He's guessing that odds should be a bit better than 50/50 because they basically wait to interview everyone left then pick from the top of that list. So since people who interviewed in fall should technically have higher LM, they might be more likely to be picked first. It's all guesses tho. If anyone knows some more solid stuff about how they do it I'd trust that more.
Kinda.
Everything is scored: GPA, MCAT, interview. So if your LM is high, but interview score is low, you could be bumped for a low LM/high interview. Hence the deferrals.

Does anyone know of people last year or the cycles before who were accepted after a deferral? From last years thread it looks like most were WLs, so just wondering. Having a hard time quieting my mind about this :/
Anybody wanna give ya girl some hope for Christmas? :(

Several people from the deferred list get acceptances. I know people who got accepted in May. This is because of the recommended deadline of April 30 for people with multiple acceptances to make a choice.

Several people from the deferred list get acceptances. I know people who got accepted in May. This is because of the recommended deadline of April 30 for people with multiple acceptances to make a choice.
Ah thank you for that, it’s somewhat relieving to know we still have a fair chance.

Thank you for the hope! :)

When should we fill out fafsa? I know financial aid stuff hasn’t been revealed yet so is now the appropriate time?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those accepted, what part of town is best to look for housing? How common is it to consider living in University Village?

For those accepted, what part of town is best to look for housing? How common is it to consider living in University Village?
A lot of people get housing at the sevens and there’s more apartments on the other side of i235.

Hey fam- for those asking about update letters, I got an official answer. They can't use it to "recalculate" anything, but we can have it added to our file. Basically, it sounds like you're best off sending one pre-II. Also, any of my deferred squad heard anything? Really hoping that deferral isn't a dead end bc I really would love to go here...

Hey fam- for those asking about update letters, I got an official answer. They can't use it to "recalculate" anything, but we can have it added to our file. Basically, it sounds like you're best off sending one pre-II. Also, any of my deferred squad heard anything? Really hoping that deferral isn't a dead end bc I really would love to go here...
Haven't hear back but I don't stop checking my email every day just in case. It'd be nice to know when their last interview date is so we can know after what point to expect to hear something. Waiting has never been so hard 😭

Haven't hear back but I don't stop checking my email every day just in case. It'd be nice to know when their last interview date is so we can know after what point to expect to hear something. Waiting has never been so hard 😭
agree 100%
this wait is no fun lol

There are five interview days left.
January 28th
January 30th
February 11th
February 17th
February 21st
We were told that the next/final big announcement of rejections/acceptances/waitlists should be emailed out by mid March

January 28th
January 30th
February 11th
February 17th
February 21st
We were told that the next/final big announcement of rejections/acceptances/waitlists should be emailed out by mid March
TY! This helps a lot!

January 28th
January 30th
February 11th
February 17th
February 21st
Damn that’s a lot of days left! Does that mean they still have more than half of the applicant pool left to interview?

January 28th
January 30th
February 11th
February 17th
February 21st
Yes, and I've heard that in the past they have usually let people who interviewed in January know about their decision around Valentine's Day as well. (This was pre-COVID though)

Yes, and I've heard that in the past they have usually let people who interviewed in January know about their decision around Valentine's Day as well. (This was pre-COVID though)
C'mon Oklahoma, don't go breaking my heart on Valentine's Day lol...even though I was a November interviewee... :)

• Haha
Got my official acceptance letter in the mail today! :) boomer sooner, or whatever :p

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know what the last interview date for fall 2020 was?
I’m pretty sure there was one on December 2nd but I don’t know for sure if that was the last fall interview date

Anyone know how merit scholarships work?? Or if OU even has any?
Last year, we got an email to apply in early April. It was nice because the application process involved one form that allowed us to apply for many scholarships at once! :) I heard back in June.

Last year, we got an email to apply in early April. It was nice because the application process involved one form that allowed us to apply for many scholarships at once! :) I heard back in June.
Ahhh gotcha! Thank you so much :)

Has anyone heard anything this week? Do we think the weather might put a hold on them sending out any decisions this week?

Has anyone heard anything this week? Do we think the weather might put a hold on them sending out any decisions this week?
I don’t think we’re hearing back until all interviews are done. Maybe last week of February at the earliest.

I don’t think we’re hearing back until all interviews are done. Maybe last week of February at the earliest.
I have heard that we might hear back this week because in past years January applicants have heard mid-February. But I bet it will not be until March that we hear back! Thank you :)

Usually they send out more decisions before they finish all interviews (around what would be early next week in previous years), and they're on time really with interviews etc. So, I kind of don't think it will be mid-march before we hear back (at least for january interviews). However, being a COVID year, I'm not sure how that impacts us overall. I would guess either next week or the week after before people start getting decisions again.

I’ve been thinking, maybe it’s a good thing if we don’t hear back till last week of February or March. That way some people will hopefully use the AMCAS choose your med school tool to pick their school and maybe leave some more spots open at OU, giving us a better chance. The wait sucks but if it means more of us will get an acceptance maybe it’s worth it...

The tool coming on Friday isn’t the one where you have to drop all your other acceptances though. That one is on April 30 I believe

The tool coming on Friday isn’t the one where you have to drop all your other acceptances though. That one is on April 30 I believe
Oh I see. So do schools not use the coming tool to narrow down their numbers? I thought they might still make decisions based off it. Not really sure tho.

Oh I see. So do schools not use the coming tool to narrow down their numbers? I thought they might still make decisions based off it. Not really sure tho.
I think it lets you keep three acceptances, so it's not very specific. Most people come off the waitlist after the single choice at the end of April

I think it lets you keep three acceptances, so it's not very specific. Most people come off the waitlist after the single choice at the end of April
I think it can free up some spots theoretically though. Like if someone has 4 acceptances and OU isn't in their top 3, it would free up that seat to go to someone else. Probably not many though..