2020-2021 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Pennsylvania State University

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone speak on the University Park curriculum? What are the main differences or benefits of one over the other?

On MSAR, it says that Penn state requires the Casper exam. However, it is not a school that you can choose from on the Casper website. I briefly looked at Penn state's requirements page and I can't seem to find them requiring Casper. Is MSAR wrong about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone speak on the Emergency Medicine Accelerated Pathway?

On MSAR, it says that Penn state requires the Casper exam. However, it is not a school that you can choose from on the Casper website. I briefly looked at Penn state's requirements page and I can't seem to find them requiring Casper. Is MSAR wrong about this?
I emailed their admissions department about this and they said they do require it, they just haven't updated their site yet.

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed their admissions department about this and they said they do require it, they just haven't updated their site yet.

Thank you for the clarification! I just added Penn state to my Casper exam distribution :)

Note: I could not do this before because Penn st was not one of the options listed on Casper, But it is now!

Reactions: 3 users
I was looking at last year's secondary questions. For the questions that asks about a unique aspect of our application that should be considered, is this more of a diversity essay or a space to explain any challenges we encountered (grades, gaps in education ...) ?
Thanks!

I was looking at last year's secondary questions. For the questions that asks about a unique aspect of our application that should be considered, is this more of a diversity essay or a space to explain any challenges we encountered (grades, gaps in education ...) ?
Thanks!
I was thinking something along how we fit in with the school's mission, but I haven't brainstormed anything yet so I don't know how we would go about answering that

Thanks!

I went with mission fit as well

Has anyone received a secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received a secondary yet? Still no email on my end.

So...did PSU forget about this application cycle lol. Still no secondary :/

Reactions: 4 users
So...did PSU forget about this application cycle lol. Still no secondary :/

Haha literally though I haven't gotten anything from Penn State, Albany, Oakland, Albert Einstein, or Seton Hall lol I'm actually freaking out especially b/c Penn State and Albert Einstein are my two top choices

Haha literally though I haven't gotten anything from Penn State, Albany, Oakland, Albert Einstein, or Seton Hall lol I'm actually freaking out especially b/c Penn State and Albert Einstein are my two top choices
I know Albany and Oakland have been having technical issues, but in the same boat with you w/ Penn State.

received Albert Einstein on 7/20, verified 6/4 -- hope that helps!

I just received Albany a couple of minutes ago so double check your email! I was verified on 5/29.

I know Albany and Oakland have been having technical issues, but in the same boat with you w/ Penn State.

received Albert Einstein on 7/20, verified 6/4 -- hope that helps!
I just received Albany a couple of minutes ago so double check your email! I was verified on 5/29.

So wait I'm trying to understand the "verified" aspect. So because of COVID 19, my MCAT was delayed. So to get verified, I sent one app to UConn, my state school on 5/28. And then I sent to every other school July 7th. So would my verification date be July 7th? Thanks!

So wait I'm trying to understand the "verified" aspect. So because of COVID 19, my MCAT was delayed. So to get verified, I sent one app to UConn, my state school on 5/28. And then I sent to every other school July 7th. So would my verification date be July 7th? Thanks!
check your AMCAS. It says the processing status on main page next to the year you're applying for. Once you're verified, it should say "AMCAS Processing in Complete." And I believe you get an email when your AMCAS is verified.

check your AMCAS. It says the processing status on main page next to the year you're applying for. Once you're verified, it should say "AMCAS Processing in Complete." And I believe you get an email when your AMCAS is verified.

I don’t mean to be rude but that’s not my question. So since I submitted to one school on 5/28, I was verified 5/28 or 5/29. But I added on 24 more schools including this one on 7/10. I’m asking if Penn State sees my verification date as 5/28 or would it be 7/10 since that’s when I added the school. Sorry if it wasn’t clear the first time!

I don’t mean to be rude but that’s not my question. So since I submitted to one school on 5/28, I was verified 5/28 or 5/29. But I added on 24 more schools including this one on 7/10. I’m asking if Penn State sees my verification date as 5/28 or would it be 7/10 since that’s when I added the school. Sorry if it wasn’t clear the first time!

They will see your posted verification date (05/28) but will obviously not see the application until 07/10

Processing time won't change, regardless of the schools you add on

gotcha, sorry for misunderstanding!

Secondary received! OOS

Reactions: 3 users
@TheDataKing
1) Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)
2) Explain why you decided to apply to the Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)
3) Write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)
4) Write a short statement describing how you envision using your medical education to advance care for under-represented or marginalized populations. (Maximum 250 words)

For the University Park program
1) Please briefly describe (maximum 250 words) a past experience where you were immersed in a situation in which you needed to adapt, collaborate, and grow as an individual and a team member in order to succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Still no secondary, hopefully soon if they send them in waves! Does anyone know if there's a GPA/MCAT cutoff?

Secondary received. Here are the prompts:

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)

Explain why you decided to apply to the Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)

Write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)

Write a short statement describing how you envision using your medical education to advance care for under-represented or marginalized populations. (Maximum 250 words)

If not currently enrolled in a full-time academic program, please summate your activities from the time of graduation from your baccalaureate program through the time of this application, as well as your plans between now and your matriculation to medical school. (Maximum 75 words)

For the question: If you are planning on taking the MCAT after you submit your Secondary Application, do you want to hold processing of your admission application until receipt of these scores (see instructions)? The options are:

-NO, begin processing my application immediately
-YES, wait for my future MCAT scores
-I do not plan to take the MCAT after I submit my Secondary Application

If i took the mcat already and my scores are already sent I check off "i do not plan to take the mcat after submitting my secondary" right? Just making sure, sorry if this is a dumb question lol

Secondary received. Here are the prompts:

Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)

Explain why you decided to apply to the Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)

Write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)

Write a short statement describing how you envision using your medical education to advance care for under-represented or marginalized populations. (Maximum 250 words)

If not currently enrolled in a full-time academic program, please summate your activities from the time of graduation from your baccalaureate program through the time of this application, as well as your plans between now and your matriculation to medical school. (Maximum 75 words)
When were you complete?? I still haven’t received one. Penn state is my top pick!

For the question: If you are planning on taking the MCAT after you submit your Secondary Application, do you want to hold processing of your admission application until receipt of these scores (see instructions)? The options are:

-NO, begin processing my application immediately
-YES, wait for my future MCAT scores
-I do not plan to take the MCAT after I submit my Secondary Application

If i took the mcat already and my scores are already sent I check off "i do not plan to take the mcat after submitting my secondary" right? Just making sure, sorry if this is a dumb question lol
Yeah I'm in the same situation and I was also confused between the 1st and 3rd options. But I think you're right, the 3rd option is good

When were you complete?? I still haven’t received one. Penn state is my top pick!
My AMCAS application was verified on July 17th, and I received Penn State's secondary about an hour ago today.

AMCAS Verified on June 16th and still no secondary, OOS. Hoping I get the secondary soon!!

secondary received this AM, IS, verified 6/4.

good luck!

Just received it! IS verified 06/05