2020-2021 Rutgers (New Jersey)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just took the CASPer test because of NJMS's requirement for RD... I felt like I ran out of time on every single scenario. I think I left 1-2 questions blank on every single scenario. But for all the scenarios I wrote the answer to first question pretty thoroughly. I am hoping that leaving the questions blank doesn't count negatively. Anyone who took it had similar experience? I am freaking out thinking this might the reason I might not make in!
was it tough? I havent taken mine yet

Members don't see this ad.

was it tough? I havent taken mine yet
It wasn't tough but it requires you to answer questions in a certain way. So basically you will watch a video or read a phrase and then you will have 30 seconds to think on it and articulate your thoughts. Then all three questions will pop up and 5 minute timer starts. I noticed that for me by the time I was done reading all three questions, I had already lost about 30 seconds or so trying to figure our how to approach the question. So, I essentially tried to answer all three questions into the first one and left the other two blank. So, my first answer would be pretty thorough and basically tried to incorporate answer for other two ( sometimes I couldn't do that either). - Also every scenario is graded by a different person, so he/she wouldn't know that I only answered 1-2 questions for all the scenario. So, its really time crunching, time runs out real fast. Also, I would recommend to brainstorm your personal volunteer or job experiences and how it help you or what you gained etc. and your thoughts on certain values that are important in healthcare profession like compassion etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone who applied ED and has their application complete heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you send CASPer to them? I sent it this morning but I'm not sure if it'll delay the secondaries from being sent
I got my secondary without my Casper score (results still pending), sorry for the late reply!

I am not excited to do the VITA, to be honest. If I wanted to talk to a screen and answer questions, I would just become a Youtube star and make more money than I ever could as a physician without the debt..... :/

I am not excited to do the VITA, to be honest. If I wanted to talk to a screen and answer questions, I would just become a Youtube star and make more money than I ever could as a physician without the debt..... :/

NJMS isn’t one of the schools on the list for VITA tho

unless they mention it on their admissions page and I missed it

• If you will not be a full time student between June 2020-August 2021, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:
  • If you chose to pursue one or more gap years prior to applying to medical school, please share insight on your decision:
So if I graduated this past academic year and am now working until matriculation I'd only fill out the first, yeah? The second only is if I had a gap year and now am applying?
I think you would fill out both, your gap year is right now

So if I'm a reapplicant, should I only fill out the reapplicant prompt? It would be the same essay as the gap year one and this wasn't a voluntary gap year (yikes). this would also be the same essay as what I'm doing for the school year. How are people going about this? It's three questions that basically ask the same thing and can't all apply to any one person.

I think you would fill out both, your gap year is right now

no, it says if you took a gap year prior to application . if you applied end of your senior year, the year between application and matriculation is referred to as a "glide year"

no, it says if you took a gap year prior to application . if you applied end of your senior year, the year between application and matriculation is referred to as a "glide year"

Today I learned that I’m taking a glide year

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone struggling to write he "insight on your gap year decision" question? I'm not sure how to fill the space? Im basically just saying I wanted to have some more grades and get work experience..?

anyone struggling to write he "insight on your gap year decision" question? I'm not sure how to fill the space? Im basically just saying I wanted to have some more grades and get work experience..?
I think they're probably not looking for anything out of this world. Likely just want to make sure you have a rationale for not going straight to med school and a plan to use your time effectively whether it's to improve grades, try a new experience, etc.

For the extra info question... im thinking why Rutgers? But should I do COVID impact? I have some legitimate things that occurred because of COVID and also did stuff to help out with the COVID response in my community. Should I talk about that stuff instead?

For the extra info question... im thinking why Rutgers? But should I do COVID impact? I have some legitimate things that occurred because of COVID and also did stuff to help out with the COVID response in my community. Should I talk about that stuff instead?
Ive heard not to do “why us” in additional info and that it comes off as trying too hard. If they wanted to know, they’d ask. I think explaining your COVID impact would be excellent use

How long does it take for letters of recommendation to be linked from AMCAS application to my secondary application?

Has anyone been able to contact the office of admissions through email? I'm a little concerned because I took an accelerated orgo class + lab, so I don't have the 8 credit requirement (despite having a good command of orgo and doing well on the CP section of the MCAT). But I emailed them back in April, and again in May about this and still no response. Should I call or would this fall under a "general question", which is discouraged? I just want to make sure that this wouldn't affect my chances at getting an interview. Sorry in advance if this is a dumb/neurotic question..

Has anyone been able to contact the office of admissions through email? I'm a little concerned because I took an accelerated orgo class + lab, so I don't have the 8 credit requirement (despite having a good command of orgo and doing well on the CP section of the MCAT). But I emailed them back in April, and again in May about this and still no response. Should I call or would this fall under a "general question", which is discouraged? I just want to make sure that this wouldn't affect my chances at getting an interview. Sorry in advance if this is a dumb/neurotic question..
I would try emailing Dr. H directly!

Reactions: 1 users
Any updates on current ED applicants?

ED, interview was this week. Waiting to hear back

Reactions: 3 users

I have a similar situation with general chemistry (its combined into one semester at my school) and my pre med advisor outlined in her LOR. I'm not sure if that's applicable to you bc I don't know if youre currently in school or not. I got an interview despite the accelerated Gen Chem

How do I answer the reapplicant question if I am a new applicant for NJMS? I am a second year applicant but I didn’t apply to this school last year. So for NJMS I am a first time applicant.

Any thoughts on answering the anything else essay and elaborate on a challenge essay (the last one)? I was thinking of doing a why NJMS essay for the anything else, but perhaps that is redundant, especially because I'm an in-state applicant. For now, I've just copy-pasted my essay on how I was affected by COVID, but it really isn't all that compelling. For the last one, I could write about another challenge I faced, but reading the prompt makes me think that they're looking for us to elaborate a challenge that was detrimental to our studies, which is not true of this challenge. Should I just leave it blank? Thanks!

How do I answer the reapplicant question if I am a new applicant for NJMS? I am a second year applicant but I didn’t apply to this school last year. So for NJMS I am a first time applicant.
N=1 but I didn't answer it. NJMS didn't specifically ask (as some secondaries do) "have you ever applied to medical school before." So I took it to be asking if we were reapplicants to NJMS specifically. If it came up in an interview I would be forthcoming though.

Hey has anyone who did ED get an interview yet? I send out secondaries (ED) last week but haven't heard back.
The person right above your comment interviewed and was accepted already

If you don't mind me asking when did you submit secondaries for ED at NJMS? I was a bit late so still waiting for an interview.

Hey!!
I submitted my secondary on 7/10 and got my Interview Invite on 7/16.

Not even applying here; just popping in to say this is where Jackie Aprille Jr. was going for pre-med.

"Kid's doing premed at Rutgah's" - Tony Soprano

Not even applying here; just popping in to say this is where Jackie Aprille Jr. was going for pre-med.

"Kid's doing premed at Rutgah's" - Tony Soprano

Was actually Rutgers New Brunswick but love the ref

Anyone's application still says "ready?" I have all of my things submitted but it doesn't say complete yet

Anyone's application still says "ready?" I have all of my things submitted but it doesn't say complete yet

I think that’s what it’s supposed to say. Under the status tab, mine has a check next to “Application Complete” and then a note that says “Your application is ready”. I got an email the same day saying my application is complete and they will review it. About 1.5 weeks later, I got the II (ED here).

I think that’s what it’s supposed to say. Under the status tab, mine has a check next to “Application Complete” and then a note that says “Your application is ready”. I got an email the same day saying my application is complete and they will review it. About 1.5 weeks later, I got the II (ED here).
Okay, yes that is what I have too. I was just confused because under "communication status", the other schools that I have applied to using the same application format always had another entry that said "application complete", rather than "secondary submitted"

Okay, yes that is what I have too. I was just confused because under "communication status", the other schools that I have applied to using the same application format always had another entry that said "application complete", rather than "secondary submitted"

Hmm I have 2 entries in my communication status tab on the day I submitted everything: “Secondary Application Submitted” and “Your Application is Complete”.

Hmm I have 2 entries in my communication status tab on the day I submitted everything: “Secondary Application Submitted” and “Your Application is Complete”.
/
Do you think it's worth emailing them?

/
Do you think it's worth emailing them?

It won't hurt to reach out to them. Of course, I would make sure everything has been submitted prior to emailing.. like casper (for RD), etc.

It won't hurt to reach out to them. Of course, I would make sure everything has been submitted prior to emailing.. like casper (for RD), etc.
Just emailed them! Yes everything has a green check mark. Thanks for your insight :)

I never received a complete email. I submitted my secondary on 7/17 and my CASPer score was received on 7/31 and on the status tab the same day application complete had a green check mark and it said application is ready.

Any other ED’s hear back after their interview?

Reactions: 3 users
ED Interview invite received last night for next week!
Secondary complete 7/28.
Anyone else hear back?