2020-2021 Rutgers (New Jersey)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Rutgers University New Jersey

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think last year people may have gotten them early for ED? any one know?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I think for ED applicants they release the secondary questions early, but with the pandemic and delayed transmission date I'm not sure what's going to happen this year. Anyone who applied ED get the secondary questions yet?

Last edited:
It looks like they added casper this year

ahh crap!! i really didn't wanna take another timed test before starting med school. feel like this might be because of COVID to allow them to better assess the applicant incase they weren't able to do certain activities

Yeah I think for ED applicants they release the secondary questions early, but with the pandemic and delayed transmission date I'm not sure what's going to happen this year. Anyone who applied ED get the secondary questions yet?
I am probably late with the reply but during the seminar they mentioned that ED applicants should email Dr. H or Dean Rivero after they submit primary for secondary questions so that they can start drafting the answers. I think thats how they did it last year as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please reply to this if you receive secondaries today, and if you are RD or ED :)

No secondaries, and I'm a RD applicant

What were the secondary prompts this year?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who received their secondaries already, whats the word limit for the secondary prompts?

Received, but app isn't even verified yet. OOS

Here's the prompts. 1500 character limit on all of them.

1. We seek students who are self-aware, resilient and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you’ve experienced and how you resolved it. Please include insight on what you learned about yourself as a result:

1. We are committed to an environment which fosters collaboration, cohesiveness, equity and social justice. With this in mind, how will you contribute to the NJMS community?

1. If you will not be a full time student between June 2020-August 2021, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:

1. If you chose to pursue one or more gap years prior to applying to medical school, please share insight on your decision:

1. If you are a re-applicant, what have you done to enhance your re-application?

1. Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy:

1. Please elaborate on any academic challenges (including MCAT), institutional actions, and/or personal difficulties not thoroughly addressed anywhere else in your application:

Reactions: 2 users
Also, on the Demographics tab:
We recognize the importance of diversity and understand that our applicant pool is multidimensional. Therefore, please help us learn more about you:

-How do you self-identify? (Select race on dropdown menu)

-How do you self-identify culturally?

-Please share any other descriptors or information you consider important to your identity:

And then some questions on the Affiliations tab

1. We seek students who are self-aware, resilient and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you’ve experienced and how you resolved it. Please include insight on what you learned about yourself as a result:

1. We are committed to an environment which fosters collaboration, cohesiveness, equity and social justice. With this in mind, how will you contribute to the NJMS community?

1. If you will not be a full time student between June 2020-August 2021, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:

1. If you chose to pursue one or more gap years prior to applying to medical school, please share insight on your decision:

1. If you are a re-applicant, what have you done to enhance your re-application?

1. Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy:

1. Please elaborate on any academic challenges (including MCAT), institutional actions, and/or personal difficulties not thoroughly addressed anywhere else in your application:

@TheDataKing

• If you will not be a full time student between June 2020-August 2021, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:
  • If you chose to pursue one or more gap years prior to applying to medical school, please share insight on your decision:
So if I graduated this past academic year and am now working until matriculation I'd only fill out the first, yeah? The second only is if I had a gap year and now am applying?

• If you will not be a full time student between June 2020-August 2021, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:
  • If you chose to pursue one or more gap years prior to applying to medical school, please share insight on your decision:
So if I graduated this past academic year and am now working until matriculation I'd only fill out the first, yeah? The second only is if I had a gap year and now am applying?

I am in a similar situation and was planning on talking about why I wanted to take a gap year. I think it would be ok either way, but I thought if I could explain more about me it could help!

If you are applying right after graduation do you still need to fill out the gap year essay prompt?

If you are applying right after graduation do you still need to fill out the gap year essay prompt?

I decided to fill it out because I am taking a gap year by applying now(the summer after graduating) as opposed to last year. There were reasons I chose to do that and I explained it for that essay prompt. Imo that seems like the best way to go about it

What do you guys think about:
  1. Using my yearbook picture as my photo. It's professional, I'm in a suit, and it's nice. But it was taken 8 months ago and they request one taken within 6 months. No one will care, right?
  2. Half of my essays are just under 1500 characters (the limit) and then I have two in the 1000-1200 range. Does that look bad?

What do you guys think about:
  1. Using my yearbook picture as my photo. It's professional, I'm in a suit, and it's nice. But it was taken 8 months ago and they request one taken within 6 months. No one will care, right?
  2. Half of my essays are just under 1500 characters (the limit) and then I have two in the 1000-1200 range. Does that look bad?

1. Yeah that should def be fine. Unless you look radically different now they wouldn’t even notice

2. that’s def not an issue because you’re at the lowest around 2/3 of the way to the limit which I can’t imagine someone would look at and think is a problem unless you didn’t elaborate or explain something well

For the "Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy" question, what are you guys writing about? I'm thinking of talking about the effect that COVID-19 had and what I've been able to do instead since I've already been able to address ties to NJ and my diversity essay in other questions. How does that sound?

Last edited:
If I applied to the BA/MD program back in high school, should I answer the re-applicant prompt? Or would it be best to call the admissions office?

If I applied to the BA/MD program back in high school, should I answer the re-applicant prompt? Or would it be best to call the admissions office?

Id go out on a limb and say so because you wouldn’t have submitted an amcas app or anything. Also now basically everything on your app is post high school so it would be strange to be considered a re-applicant

But I’d probably call/email just to be sure

Just took the CASPer test because of NJMS's requirement for RD... I felt like I ran out of time on every single scenario. I think I left 1-2 questions blank on every single scenario. But for all the scenarios I wrote the answer to first question pretty thoroughly. I am hoping that leaving the questions blank doesn't count negatively. Anyone who took it had similar experience? I am freaking out thinking this might the reason I might not make in!