You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 TCU & UNTHSC
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted992680
I got a secondary and I’m OOS!
@Son of Zeus The first 2 application cycles, the TCU admissions leader did read this thread pretty often and sometimes comment and answer questions. You can search for screen name @SOM Admissions to read past threads.TCU must be listening 😏, got the secondary a few minutes ago.
They prefer you ask specific questions directly to them in email though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MS1 Here. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone! 🙂
Hello applicants! Sorry if we have been missing in action. Secondary application invitations are being sent out as we speak. Due to COVID-19, our office is working remotely. We anticipate that by the end of the week, everyone who has applied to be a future Empathetic Scholar™ and has met our minimum requirements will receive their secondary application invitation. As always, don't hesitate to reach out to our office with any questions.
@SOM Admissions I just wanted to ask whether the genetics course requirement factors into interview invite/acceptance decisions? Or is this simply a matriculation requirement? I ask since I am a non-traditional applicant, am not currently enrolled at a university, and genetics is the only requirement I do not meet.
@SOM Admissions I just wanted to ask whether the genetics course requirement factors into interview invite/acceptance decisions? Or is this simply a matriculation requirement? I ask since I am a non-traditional applicant, am not currently enrolled at a university, and genetics is the only requirement I do not meet.
+1
D
deleted880375
Primary transmitted last Wednesday, received secondary today! I am instate, Tex-resident
@SOM Admissions I just wanted to ask whether the genetics course requirement factors into interview invite/acceptance decisions? Or is this simply a matriculation requirement? I ask since I am a non-traditional applicant, am not currently enrolled at a university, and genetics is the only requirement I do not meet.
It’s just a matriculation requirement
TCU UNTHSC is not on TMDSAS it's on AMCAS, so those eligibility requirements don't necessarily apply. Also, your undergraduate and graduate level courses appear when you fill out that pre-req section, so I am assuming you can use graduate coursesPer the TMDSAS website:
Will my graduate coursework count towards the education requirements for medical school?
Graduate coursework does not satisfy the 90-hour requirement OR the required coursework.
You could, however, check with TCU & UNTHSC SOM directly and see if they offer any policy exceptions. Here's the link where this is found; this answer is under the FAQ section: Education Eligibility Requirements
Last edited:
Press release about the incoming Class of 2024
Welcome to Texas!
Application submissions at the Fort Worth M.D. school have almost tripled in less than two years | Fort Worth School of Medicine | Fort Worth, Texas
Welcome to Texas!
Application submissions at the Fort Worth M.D. school have almost tripled in less than two years | Fort Worth School of Medicine | Fort Worth, Texas
What an incredibly unique secondary. I feel like I already interviewed at TCU after that.
FracturedPhalanx
Full Member
Very unique secondary indeed. But its hard to talk at a microphone instead of a person! Even with my preparation Im pretty sure I sounded so bad haha! Hopefully I sounded better than I thought I did
carbonred
Full Member
Same bro it’s normal though I’m sure everyone else was the sameVery unique secondary indeed. But its hard to talk at a microphone instead of a person! Even with my preparation Im pretty sure I sounded so bad haha! Hopefully I sounded better than I thought I did
Very unique secondary indeed. But its hard to talk at a microphone instead of a person! Even with my preparation Im pretty sure I sounded so bad haha! Hopefully I sounded better than I thought I did
I thought I fumbled the secondary hard but ended up getting an interview! We’re often bad judges of our own performances.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FracturedPhalanx
Full Member
I thought I fumbled the secondary hard but ended up getting an interview! We’re often bad judges of our own performances.
That is super encouraging! Thanks for living up to your username by helping me remain optimistic!
InfectiousDiseasesH&TM
Full Member
I thought I fumbled the secondary hard but ended up getting an interview! We’re often bad judges of our own performances.
Pretty sure I fumbled on my own 5-yard line


I don't know if you're allowed to disclose this information, but when you open the prompt are you given some time to think about it or the timer will start immediately once you click on it?
You get 1 minute to think about each prompt before recording. They will have instructions explaining everything once you begin that section so no worries!I don't know if you're allowed to disclose this information, but when you open the prompt are you given some time to think about it or the timer will start immediately once you click on it?
amcas verified today (8/1) and just received secondary today as well !! OOS!
MS1 here just dropping in to say hello and good luck! TCU & UNTHSC was my dream school, and I still cannot believe I get to be a student here. Do your best on the secondary but don’t stress! You are your harshest critic, and I promise you think it sounded way worse than it did. If you do mess up, take a breath and reset your brain! If the secondary is similar to last year, you’ve got multiple questions to answer to improve on your performance. Remember that it’s all about them getting an idea of who you are as an applicant! Be yourself!
Can’t wait until people start receiving interviews! The application process from beginning to end can be super stressful, so if I can answer any questions to ease your concerns, let me know! Just don’t ask me what my secondary questions were and don’t ask what my MMI questions were at my interview either😉 good luck everyone!!
Edited for clarification!!
Can’t wait until people start receiving interviews! The application process from beginning to end can be super stressful, so if I can answer any questions to ease your concerns, let me know! Just don’t ask me what my secondary questions were and don’t ask what my MMI questions were at my interview either😉 good luck everyone!!
Edited for clarification!!
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing . Do they limit how much time you have in order to complete each and every question?MS1 here just dropping in to say hello and good luck! TCU & UNTHSC was my dream school, and I still cannot believe I get to be a student here. Do your best on the secondary but don’t stress! You are your harshest critic, and I promise you think it sounded way worse than it did. If you do mess up, take a breath and reset! You’ve got multiple chances to improve, and remember that it’s all about them getting an idea of who you are as an applicant! Be yourself!
Can’t wait until people start receiving interviews! The application process from beginning to end can be super stressful, so if I can answer any questions to ease your concerns, let me know! Just don’t ask me what my secondary questions were and don’t ask what my MMI questions were at my interview either😉 good luck everyone!!
Here I would like to clarify with you. If you answer one question and you are not happy with your answer then you can reset and answer that question again or you wait until you finish everything and reset and try the second time or third time ? Do I understand you correctly?
Last edited:
The secondary is timed. You get a set amount of time to read the question and think about a response. Once that time is up, you have a set amount of time to answer the question. You do not have multiple chances to record your answer. Last year, there were multiple questions on the secondary. What I meant was that even if you mess up on one question, you have more opportunities to improve with the other questions. If it is similar to last year, you cannot re-record any answers. One chance only for every question, much like a MMI type interview.Thanks for sharing . Do they limit how much time you have in order to complete each and every question?
Here I would like to clarify with you. If you answer one question and you are not happy with your answer then you can reset and answer that question again or you wait until you finish everything and reset and try the second time or third time ? Do I understand you correctly?
Photon2419
Full Member
so I just took the secondary, don't worry guys it's simple, straightforward, and very accommodating! Like a super easy version of Casper tbh.
(...I accidentally said "itty bitty" as part of my response...lol)
(...I accidentally said "itty bitty" as part of my response...lol)
Is the test question reviewed or is it another way to see if your mic is working and how the process works?
There will be a test question that you can redo, yes. The questions afterward can not be reciewed.
My understanding is that it is not reviewedIs the test question reviewed or is it another way to see if your mic is working and how the process works?
I will probably have to withdraw my app sadly. I stammered midway through the first question, ended up cursing at myself 🙁 . We're human and we have emotions but it just came out. I haven't tried the last two questions yet.
Hey, I don’t know if they’re willing to do this for you, but for me, when I was doing one question, my earphone malfunctioned and stopped recording, so I freaked out and sent them an email. They were very kind and reset that one question for me. It doesn’t hurt to ask before withdrawing. Just my 2c
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dayyyledunn
New Member
Super easy, if you have already written secondaries you can come up with the answers easier! I really enjoyed the way they did this. I was able to open up and show them more of my personality than I could through an essay. Good luck 🙂
Do they record your video in the secondary? Just trying to plan for dressing up if needed
Do they record your video in the secondary? Just trying to plan for dressing up if needed
It’s just audio
I see that you get 60 seconds to think about the question, but how much time are you given to answer it before you are cut off?
I see that you get 60 seconds to think about the question, but how much time are you given to answer it before you are cut off?
The 60 seconds are included in the given 3 minutes
I see that you get 60 seconds to think about the question, but how much time are you given to answer it before you are cut off?
60 seconds to think + 3 minutes to answer.
D
deleted1061754
I bet late augustDoes anyone have an idea on when II are sent out?
All required coursework must be completed by June 1st. In the application, you are able to indicate that you plan on taking this course in the future. Our application requires that you have one course for each of the requirements listed before submission. During the review, if the committee notices that a course does not satisfy our requirement, they will reach out and your application will be placed on hold until we receive correspondence from you.@SOM Admissions I just wanted to ask whether the genetics course requirement factors into interview invite/acceptance decisions? Or is this simply a matriculation requirement? I ask since I am a non-traditional applicant, am not currently enrolled at a university, and genetics is the only requirement I do not meet.
Interview Invites are not being sent out yet. We anticipate that this will happen over the next couple of weeks.Does anyone have an idea on when II are sent out?
hopefuldoctor319
Full Member
I was looking to see what types of community outreach programs were offered by the school, but all of the ones they have listed are virtual projects (due to COVID-19). Is it safe to assume that the student organizations/volunteering programs that are available at both TCU and UNTHSC are accessible to the SOM students?
@SOM Admissions Does the admissions committee listen to the "audio test?"
Thank you! Does the school send out rejection emails if not offered an interview?Interview Invites are not being sent out yet. We anticipate that this will happen over the next couple of weeks.
HTXPre-med
Full Member
MS1 here just dropping in to say hello and good luck! TCU & UNTHSC was my dream school, and I still cannot believe I get to be a student here. Do your best on the secondary but don’t stress! You are your harshest critic, and I promise you think it sounded way worse than it did. If you do mess up, take a breath and reset your brain! If the secondary is similar to last year, you’ve got multiple questions to answer to improve on your performance. Remember that it’s all about them getting an idea of who you are as an applicant! Be yourself!
Can’t wait until people start receiving interviews! The application process from beginning to end can be super stressful, so if I can answer any questions to ease your concerns, let me know! Just don’t ask me what my secondary questions were and don’t ask what my MMI questions were at my interview either😉 good luck everyone!!
Edited for clarification!!
Hi, I am really interested in sending my AMCAS application to TCU-UNTHSC, but the price is why I’m hesitant! Do you know if they offer a good amount of scholarships/ financial aid to students? It’s just so much more expensive than all other Texas schools 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's a similar price or lower than most private AMCAS schools. If the price will keep you from attending, don't apply. The usual federal loans are available to students.Hi, I am really interested in sending my AMCAS application to TCU-UNTHSC, but the price is why I’m hesitant! Do you know if they offer a good amount of scholarships/ financial aid to students? It’s just so much more expensive than all other Texas schools 🙁
I don't think so but their minimum score isAre they sending secondaries without an MCAT score? I'm waiting for score release
Last edited:
Is the portal down for anyone else? It says "invalid server host" and then when I do the reset password, the email never come.
Hi! My AMCAS was transmitted 8/6 and I haven't yet received the secondary. Is that normal? Do they pre-screen before sending them out?
D
deleted1061754
I wouldn’t worry it’s only been 3 days. They screen mcat and gpaHi! My AMCAS was transmitted 8/6 and I haven't yet received the secondary. Is that normal? Do they pre-screen before sending them out?