2020-2021 TCU & UNTHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Something interesting... I completed the TCU secondary a couple weeks ago and my girlfriend completed hers today. We were talking about how it went and our responses to the individual questions and realized we had different prompts... has anyone else talked to a friend about it? I’m curious if our prompts are related to the results of the surveys...
 
Something interesting... I completed the TCU secondary a couple weeks ago and my girlfriend completed hers today. We were talking about how it went and our responses to the individual questions and realized we had different prompts... has anyone else talked to a friend about it? I’m curious if our prompts are related to the results of the surveys...
Maybe just a random pull from a pool of questions, who knows. That would be so cool if the survey actually changes the questions
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SOM Admissions. Do you accept updates or additional documents to be uploaded upon secondary review. My sophomore year grades are lower due to personal reasons however just looking at my transcript you wouldn't be able to understand the story behind it!
 
This is BY FAR the best secondary I completed - TCU, you really nailed it.

To anyone wondering:
1. You don't have to complete all questions during one sitting, you can continue or log-out after each of them
2. Questions aren't hard or tricky, they ask about things unique to you (i.e. typical MMI-style questions)
3. You cannot re-play or re-record after you answer the question
4. The system works on a Mac but you must use Chrome or Firefox (+ incognito mode helps)
5. You will laugh afterwards as this is way more pleasant than essays (as you can use the tone of your voice etc)
6. The prompts are not public as the school asks to treat the whole 2° as confidential
 
This is BY FAR the best secondary I completed - TCU, you really nailed it.

To anyone wondering:
1. You don't have to complete all questions during one sitting, you can continue or log-out after each of them
2. Questions aren't hard or tricky, they ask about things unique to you (i.e. typical MMI-style questions)
3. You cannot re-play or re-record after you answer the question
4. The system works on a Mac but you must use Chrome or Firefox (+ incognito mode helps)
5. You will laugh afterwards as this is way more pleasant than essays (as you can use the tone of your voice etc)
6. The prompts are not public as the school asks to treat the whole 2° as confidential

Agreed. This was much less painful than a lot of other secondaries.
 
so does this mean I shouldn't waste time "studying" for it? Just go ahead a bite the bullet and answer them naturally?
Yes. No need to study. If you have been previously writing secondaries for other schools then you should be ready for all the questions.
 
so does this mean I shouldn't waste time "studying" for it? Just go ahead a bite the bullet and answer them naturally?

Exactly. Personally, I kept a scratch paper near me and when it gave me the 60 seconds to contemplate the prompt, I quickly wrote down a structure of what I wanted to say during those three minutes.
 
Exactly. Personally, I kept a scratch paper near me and when it gave me the 60 seconds to contemplate the prompt, I quickly wrote down a structure of what I wanted to say during those three minutes.
Yes. No need to study. If you have been previously writing secondaries for other schools then you should be ready for all the questions.
For sure. There’s not much studying you can do.
Awesome thanks guys!
 
I will go as far as saying you don't need any scratch paper. You definitely don't need any preparation. The questions are a mix of asking for situational judgment (i.e. a more clear version of CASPer) + things from your life.
It looks like the main goal of these is for the comitte to know you better personally. It's like meeting someone in an elevator and talking with them about your passion & how you do things.

Honestly speaking? In my opinion this is a much better way to know someone than essays perfected for hours. If you truly love your pathway you shouldn't have a problem talking about it.

Lurking around their website I also found the following short:


I think it shows how the school really runs and what they believe in. Picking a school is a two-way process - you have to like your schools too 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is BY FAR the best secondary I completed - TCU, you really nailed it.

To anyone wondering:
1. You don't have to complete all questions during one sitting, you can continue or log-out after each of them
2. Questions aren't hard or tricky, they ask about things unique to you (i.e. typical MMI-style questions)
3. You cannot re-play or re-record after you answer the question
4. The system works on a Mac but you must use Chrome or Firefox (+ incognito mode helps)
5. You will laugh afterwards as this is way more pleasant than essays (as you can use the tone of your voice etc)
6. The prompts are not public as the school asks to treat the whole 2° as confidential


This sounds great! But I'm a little confused. When does the timer start? There are two tabs, "Mission-fit Inventories" and "Mission-fit Essays"; does the timer start as soon as you click one of the tabs? Should we not press it until we are ready?

Also, which is the audio recording, the "inventories," the "essays," or both? Thanks!
 
This sounds great! But I'm a little confused. When does the timer start? There are two tabs, "Mission-fit Inventories" and "Mission-fit Essays"; does the timer start as soon as you click one of the tabs? Should we not press it until we are ready?

Also, which is the audio recording, the "inventories," the "essays," or both? Thanks!

The audio recordings are in the "essays" tab and the timer will not start until you manually begin each individual question
 
To confirm most of the above responses: that was a great secondary. You have enough time to jot down some notes and take a deep breath before you respond. I found quick notes helpful because I have a tendency to ramble, but I didn't really need them.

Good luck to everyone applying!
 
I know it will sound stupid but I was actually talking to a picture of a plant, which made me smile and almost laugh at the situation 😉

Probably the hardest part is not having non-verbal cues from the other side, so you can adjust how you speak and from what angle you're actually describing the problem :thinking:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received my secondary today! My application was just processed/verified yesterday and it was a nice surprise to hear back so soon. I just finished my master's at UNTHC's graduate school and would love the chance to return to Ft. Worth/UNTHSC - great campus, amazing professors! Definitely was thrown off by the audio secondary but I do enjoy being able to give my responses a literal voice. However I am nervous about sounding more informal in my responses - does anyone else worry about this since its a little more on the spot than pre-written essays??
 
Does TCU screen for secondaries? I never got it? I has gotten II from other schools already, so I don't think there's any major redflag in my app. Was the secondary inv in yall's spam folder?
 
Does TCU screen for secondaries? I never got it? I has gotten II from other schools already, so I don't think there's any major redflag in my app. Was the secondary inv in yall's spam folder?

I am not positive in saying that they don’t screen, but I received the secondary an hour after I was verified by AMCAS
 
Does TCU screen for secondaries? I never got it? I has gotten II from other schools already, so I don't think there's any major redflag in my app. Was the secondary inv in yall's spam folder?
when i received their secondary in the email it said they review our AMCAS app and then send the secondary. Not sure what the cutoff is
 
About to do this audio secondary and kinda freaking out lol here goes nothing
UPDATE: I like it. Was super nervous at first but I think I did decent! A few "uh's" but thats unavoidable lol. 2 of the questions i had solid answers to. 1 of the questions kinda threw me off and I literally had to think on my feet for. Overall, it is different and I enjoyed it AND I didnt have to write essays so thats always nice 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad