2020-2021 TCU & UNTHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This was by far my favorite secondary to complete, I love this format even though I sounded really stupid at times lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We will host interviews late September-March and offer rolling admission. If you have any further questions about our timeline, please contact us directly at [email protected]
Thank you!

Reactions: 9 users
anyone know how interviews are going to work?? switch to traditional? online mmi?

Wow, I went from grumbling about this secondary to kind of loving it! I mean, I rambled like a tumbleweed for three minutes, but it was fun and so refreshing.

Reactions: 1 users
anyone know how interviews are going to work?? switch to traditional? online mmi?

It will be an online MMI. When applicants receive interview invites it’ll be explained to them in more detail.

I have a question about the pre-reqs listed. I have not taken a dedicated course for genetics or physio. Do we need these to be accepted? Can we complete these courses if we have been offered an acceptance?

I took a Bio I class that covered genetics and human anatomy that had an introduction to physio, can we count these?

Regarding when you need prerequisites to be completed, here's what they say from their FAQ:

"Applicants can apply prior to having all courses completed; however, any outstanding courses must be completed and graded prior to the start of medical school. The final official transcript with graded coursework must be received no later than June 1 prior the start of medical school in July."

Now for your particular two courses, I don't know for sure, but I think they probably want a dedicated genetics course and a dedicated physiology course. I know their website says they'll accept a two-part combined anatomy and physiology course (I'm assuming both semesters). I recommend emailing them directly about this since that's the best way to confirm if the school will accept your courses or not.

Thanks for your response :) After looking at the syllabus I don't think these courses would count. Is it worth applying if we do not have these two classes? Since I have already graduated I am trying to think through the best way to navigate this

Is there a way you can take a genetics course and physiology course at a local university before June 1st, 2021? As long as you finish it before then TCU should accept them. It wouldn't be a full-on postbacc but just a couple postbacc courses for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I can probably do that with the local school or my undergrad extension program. Do we have to indicate these plans on this app now? or can we leave it blank until we see if they want to interview us?

On the secondary application, you do have to indicate which of your courses meet each of their prerequisites. If you're missing a course, you need to select the option for future prerequisite and list the details there.

Members don't see this ad :)
@SOM Admissions do you have info on this years class statistics? Things like # of interviews/acceptances

So what's the point of the Jefferson Scale of Physician Empathy? Do we want to demonstrate that we are empathetic and thus choose the most extreme empathetic options? Or should we kind of balance our answers (i.e. empathy is important, but it is not the most important aspect of treatment)? I have no idea how to go about the test.

So what's the point of the Jefferson Scale of Physician Empathy? Do we want to demonstrate that we are empathetic and thus choose the most extreme empathetic options? Or should we kind of balance our answers (i.e. empathy is important, but it is not the most important aspect of treatment)? I have no idea how to go about the test.

I don’t think it’s something that you should answer based on what they want to hear. It’s more trying to gauge some more non academic aspects of your personality and how they fit with a career in medicine. You should answer them truthfully

Reactions: 1 users
Hello folks, question about pre-reqs. I have not taken a formal class in genetics, but covered many genetics topics in my cell bio course. Has anybody had any luck substituting any course for the genetics pre-req? Interested in the school and hoping I can meet the requirements :/

Hello folks, question about pre-reqs. I have not taken a formal class in genetics, but covered many genetics topics in my cell bio course. Has anybody had any luck substituting any course for the genetics pre-req? Interested in the school and hoping I can meet the requirements :/
A regular genetics class and a regular physiology class are firm requirements from what I have seen from TCU/UNTHSC.

Please email our office directly at [email protected] for prerequisite questions. Thank you!

they didn't accept any of my bios course that I sent to them for the genetics requirement :( so I think you need to let them know by a certain deadline what you are planning to do in order to fulfill the coursework - I'll probably have to take an additional class in my grad school or a community college class!

Anybody take physiology online? I need to take a phys class to fulfill the requirement and hoping to find one online, preferably at a lower-cost community college. Problem is most are split into A&P 1 & 2.

Anybody take physiology online? I need to take a phys class to fulfill the requirement and hoping to find one online, preferably at a lower-cost community college. Problem is most are split into A&P 1 & 2.
My community college is offering their 3 quarter A&P series online, but I don't know of any CC's doing just Physio.

My former CC offers Physio by itself but it has anatomy (and chem) as a prerequisite. I took it online midway thru when the pandemic hit. If ur interested, I can PM you info

Congrats to those that got II today!! Can you share stats/complete date

Completed 7/24. Feel free and DM for stats. Mine are a bit strange.

II this morning

the only available interview slot was on 09/28 -- see you all there!

complete = 07/28

Just got a pre-req question from admissions, don't know what this means, but hopefully, it's positive? Complete 7/30

Just got a pre-req question from admissions, don't know what this means, but hopefully, it's positive? Complete 7/30
I just received a pre-req question as well inquiring about my plan to fulfill the physiology requirement. At the very least it means they have gotten to our apps so I am taking it as a positive.

Reactions: 2 users
I just received a pre-req question as well inquiring about my plan to fulfill the physiology requirement. At the very least it means they have gotten to our apps so I am taking it as a positive.
Did y'all receive these pre or post secondary?

+1

Any II sent out to people that completed application early August?

Just got the secondary. Really excited to apply here, and hoping that having a late MCAT doesn't hurt me too much. Best of luck to all of you!

II just now!!! nervous for the MMI set up but really excited!!!!

Reactions: 5 users