You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen)
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Rejected. Interviewed 11/13
D
deleted1051525
Just got the post-II R, mid-Dec interview, it stings but also I feel.... free.... GOOD LUCK TO THE REST OF THE LIMBO GANG I AM SO SO ROOTING FOR YOU 💛. Peace.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just caught the post-I R. Interviewed September. Fingers crossed for all those on the WL!
hopefulpremed14
Full Member
Post II R interviewed in September 🙁 bye y'all
thehashslingingslasher
New Member
Post R January II I am free.
sameeeeeMy first post interview R! It stings because it’s my dream school ugh
Post II R. Hurts a lot because I wanted to stay close to home. Also it’s my first postII r and I’ve been in limbo since the beginning of December.... butttt this was my last decision so I can finally be officially excited about my other acceptance! I was so surprised about my interview here anyway cuz of my gpa so it was cool to see UCLA is actually holistic in giving interviews
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am wondering that too. Someone posted that, according to MSAR, they waitlist about 150 and accept, on average, 50. But this cycle is so different than any of the others, so who knows? I also don't know how many of those 50 were "top of waitlist". Sorry... I wish I had more answers.. :/Anyone know the approximate chances/numbers of waitlist movement from UCLA?
Just found this. Looks like those of us on the WL won't hear back until after May 1st.
sagethesage3131
New Member
interviewed mid Jan, got the waitlist email this morning. no other acceptances at this point so nervously beginning to prepare for the next cycle...
treesri2019
New Member
Post II R, interviewed 1/11. This was my last option. I won’t be ready to reapply this year, so I’ll have to get ready for the 2022-2023 cycle. I’ll be 28. Ugh.
CastIronKing
Full Member
Don't lose hope! I first applied at 25 and didn't get in. I didn't even get one interview. 6 years later I apply again and I'm now going to a school close to home at 31. I even miraculously got a waitlist at UCLA. You're still young. Don't be discouraged by the fallacy that you're running out of time or that you're getting old. If I can do it you can too.Post II R, interviewed 1/11. This was my last option. I won’t be ready to reapply this year, so I’ll have to get ready for the 2022-2023 cycle. I’ll be 28. Ugh.
treesri2019
New Member
Thank you! 😭 That is super encouraging. I know it's not true that I'm running out of time; that I'm young. Becoming a doctor is still my dream. Congratulations on your acceptance close to home, that is a success! If you don't mind me asking, what did you change/improve upon in those years? Feel free to PM me to not clog up this thread!Don't lose hope! I first applied at 25 and didn't get in. I didn't even get one interview. 6 years later I apply again and I'm now going to a school close to home at 31. I even miraculously got a waitlist at UCLA. You're still young. Don't be discouraged by the fallacy that you're running out of time or that you're getting old. If I can do it you can too.
Don't lose hope! I first applied at 25 and didn't get in. I didn't even get one interview. 6 years later I apply again and I'm now going to a school close to home at 31. I even miraculously got a waitlist at UCLA. You're still young. Don't be discouraged by the fallacy that you're running out of time or that you're getting old. If I can do it you can too.
As further anecdotal information, I am also an almost 30-year old reapplicant, so I agree with CastIronKing when he says that you are still young and have lots of time. You got this!! 🙌Thank you! 😭 That is super encouraging. I know it's not true that I'm running out of time; that I'm young. Becoming a doctor is still my dream. Congratulations on your acceptance close to home, that is a success! If you don't mind me asking, what did you change/improve upon in those years? Feel free to PM me to not clog up this thread!
perplexing_pegasus
Full Member
Thank you! 😭 That is super encouraging. I know it's not true that I'm running out of time; that I'm young. Becoming a doctor is still my dream. Congratulations on your acceptance close to home, that is a success! If you don't mind me asking, what did you change/improve upon in those years? Feel free to PM me to not clog up this thread!
current nontrad UCLA student and several of my first year classmates are in their 30s with multiple children! dont give up hope! Life does not stop when you are a medical student/resident, and it doesn't stop because you have to re apply in a year or two - there are many things and relationships to enjoy and experience throughout it all. It is not "wasting away" your twenties, as many people on this website seem to say.
watermelon2468
New Member
does anyone know if UCLA accepts letters of intent?
I believe so?does anyone know if UCLA accepts letters of intent?
got rejected post II last week, exactly 6 months after my interview. i got in to Hopkins and Yale, so i'm lucky and grateful, but UCLA was my top choice and my interviewer said he would see me in the fall. overall disappointing experience, but at least i'm not going to be tortured even more by a waitlist
Yeah what the heck happened.Does anyone understand why the USNWR ranking dropped from 6 to 21?! No other school seemed to have such a change in ranking?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My guess is that their recent elimination of the research requirementYeah what the heck happened.
Perhaps their recent elimination of the research requirement had something to do with it?Yeah what the heck happened.
medappquery
Full Member
The drop is because the methodology used in these rankings is arbitrary and no one would look at them if they didn't change from year to year. The main reason for UCLA dropping is because they changed how the total research funding is taken into account. You can read more about it in their methodology for medical school ranking.
I guess it just changes year to year and generally doesn’t matter then for T10-T20The drop is because the methodology used in these rankings is arbitrary and no one would look at them if they didn't change from year to year. The main reason for UCLA dropping is because they changed how the total research funding is taken into account. You can read more about it in their methodology for medical school ranking.
Would this affect match moving forward?Does anyone understand why the USNWR ranking dropped from 6 to 21?! No other school seemed to have such a change in ranking?
Current student here, incredibly doubtful that it would especially considering that the residency director ranking did not change and the combined residency director score increased by 0.1 from last year.Would this affect match moving forward?
Could you share the residency director ranking if possible? I was looking it but couldn’t find.Current student here, incredibly doubtful that it would especially considering that the residency director ranking did not change and the combined residency director score increased by 0.1 from last year.
Found it if anyone’s interested!Could you share the residency director ranking if possible? I was looking it but couldn’t find.
Can someone please explain how UCLA now ranks lower than UCSD
In terms of biomedical research, UCLA is actually not that strong compared to all the USNWR’s T20s with maybe one or two exceptions. UCSD certainly has a stronger research reputation than UCLA (their BME is second only to Hopkins, Stanford, and maybe MIT). So if this is a research ranking, then it might not be that crazy.
I don’t think it makes sense to rank med schools solely based on research. But this funding change in methodology does seem to more accurately reflect research caliber, so it might be here to stay.
I don’t think it makes sense to rank med schools solely based on research. But this funding change in methodology does seem to more accurately reflect research caliber, so it might be here to stay.
perplexing_pegasus
Full Member
The only "ranking" that even somewhat matters to us as medical students is what residency directors think, which has not changed. USNews benefits from flipping around the rankings and causing drama; if the ranking stayed the same then no one would even be talkin about it. If anything, I hope this #21 ranking stops the prestige obsessed folks from coming to UCLA so we can continue to have a low-key, humble vibe out here. 🙂Can someone please explain how UCLA now ranks lower than UCSD
InsipidConch
Full Member
If anyone was wondering, all Geffen awards have been appointed according to the Financial aid office. There are apparently very little merit scholarships left. They did say however that students withdrawing their Geffens would allow other accepted students to be considered for this reward as they finalize school choices.
I second this question. Or if you’re willing to share some responses that you getAny current med students that could talk about living in The Boulevard? Partner and I are interested in the 1 bedroom or loft option.
Asp1retoInsp1re
Full Member
When do y'all think we should expect to start seeing WL movement?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to the AAMC WL procedures, UCLA said that they will not begin considering WL applicants until after May 1st. It seems they are wanting to wait until after "plan to enroll" to have a better idea of how many available seats they have before moving people off the WL.When do y'all think we should expect to start seeing WL movement?
lightbulb21
New Member
Hi. Any rejected MSTP applicants who are still waiting for their MD program application decision?
perplexing_pegasus
Full Member
You do not need toDoes anyone know if we need to dress formal for second look tomorrow?
Yes 🙂Hi. Any rejected MSTP applicants who are still waiting for their MD program application decision?