2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the R. Interviewed September

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Just got the post-II R, mid-Dec interview, it stings but also I feel.... free.... GOOD LUCK TO THE REST OF THE LIMBO GANG I AM SO SO ROOTING FOR YOU 💛. Peace.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
post II R interviewed in Dec. Not a fun wait but now I can get hyped about my other options

• Care
Just caught the post-I R. Interviewed September. Fingers crossed for all those on the WL!

• Care
My first post interview R! It stings because it’s my dream school ugh

• Care
Post II-R, interviewed 12/4. it was amazing fighting along side you all, see you in the field :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
the limbo is over - post II R! Interviewed in jan. this was my last decision, congrats everyone who got in :)

• Care
Post II R. Hurts a lot because I wanted to stay close to home. Also it’s my first postII r and I’ve been in limbo since the beginning of December.... butttt this was my last decision so I can finally be officially excited about my other acceptance! I was so surprised about my interview here anyway cuz of my gpa so it was cool to see UCLA is actually holistic in giving interviews

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
post II Rejection! I'm glad it's eventually over tbh

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know the approximate chances/numbers of waitlist movement from UCLA?

Anyone know the approximate chances/numbers of waitlist movement from UCLA?
I am wondering that too. Someone posted that, according to MSAR, they waitlist about 150 and accept, on average, 50. But this cycle is so different than any of the others, so who knows? I also don't know how many of those 50 were "top of waitlist". Sorry... I wish I had more answers.. :/

• Hmm
Screenshot_20210325-210901_Drive.jpg

interviewed mid Jan, got the waitlist email this morning. no other acceptances at this point so nervously beginning to prepare for the next cycle...

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Post II R, interviewed 1/11. This was my last option. I won’t be ready to reapply this year, so I’ll have to get ready for the 2022-2023 cycle. I’ll be 28. Ugh.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Post II R, interviewed 1/11. This was my last option. I won’t be ready to reapply this year, so I’ll have to get ready for the 2022-2023 cycle. I’ll be 28. Ugh.
Don't lose hope! I first applied at 25 and didn't get in. I didn't even get one interview. 6 years later I apply again and I'm now going to a school close to home at 31. I even miraculously got a waitlist at UCLA. You're still young. Don't be discouraged by the fallacy that you're running out of time or that you're getting old. If I can do it you can too.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Don't lose hope! I first applied at 25 and didn't get in. I didn't even get one interview. 6 years later I apply again and I'm now going to a school close to home at 31. I even miraculously got a waitlist at UCLA. You're still young. Don't be discouraged by the fallacy that you're running out of time or that you're getting old. If I can do it you can too.
Thank you! 😭 That is super encouraging. I know it's not true that I'm running out of time; that I'm young. Becoming a doctor is still my dream. Congratulations on your acceptance close to home, that is a success! If you don't mind me asking, what did you change/improve upon in those years? Feel free to PM me to not clog up this thread!

• Care

Thank you! 😭 That is super encouraging. I know it's not true that I'm running out of time; that I'm young. Becoming a doctor is still my dream. Congratulations on your acceptance close to home, that is a success! If you don't mind me asking, what did you change/improve upon in those years? Feel free to PM me to not clog up this thread!
As further anecdotal information, I am also an almost 30-year old reapplicant, so I agree with CastIronKing when he says that you are still young and have lots of time. You got this!! 🙌

Reactions: 4 users

current nontrad UCLA student and several of my first year classmates are in their 30s with multiple children! dont give up hope! Life does not stop when you are a medical student/resident, and it doesn't stop because you have to re apply in a year or two - there are many things and relationships to enjoy and experience throughout it all. It is not "wasting away" your twenties, as many people on this website seem to say.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Late but finally got the R on Friday! Finally able to let go, big CONGRATS to everyone who was admitted and all the best

• Care
got rejected post II last week, exactly 6 months after my interview. i got in to Hopkins and Yale, so i'm lucky and grateful, but UCLA was my top choice and my interviewer said he would see me in the fall. overall disappointing experience, but at least i'm not going to be tortured even more by a waitlist

• Care
Does anyone understand why the USNWR ranking dropped from 6 to 21?! No other school seemed to have such a change in ranking?

• Wow
The drop is because the methodology used in these rankings is arbitrary and no one would look at them if they didn't change from year to year. The main reason for UCLA dropping is because they changed how the total research funding is taken into account. You can read more about it in their methodology for medical school ranking.

The drop is because the methodology used in these rankings is arbitrary and no one would look at them if they didn't change from year to year. The main reason for UCLA dropping is because they changed how the total research funding is taken into account. You can read more about it in their methodology for medical school ranking.
I guess it just changes year to year and generally doesn’t matter then for T10-T20

Would this affect match moving forward?
Current student here, incredibly doubtful that it would especially considering that the residency director ranking did not change and the combined residency director score increased by 0.1 from last year.

Current student here, incredibly doubtful that it would especially considering that the residency director ranking did not change and the combined residency director score increased by 0.1 from last year.
Could you share the residency director ranking if possible? I was looking it but couldn’t find.

Can someone please explain how UCLA now ranks lower than UCSD

In terms of biomedical research, UCLA is actually not that strong compared to all the USNWR’s T20s with maybe one or two exceptions. UCSD certainly has a stronger research reputation than UCLA (their BME is second only to Hopkins, Stanford, and maybe MIT). So if this is a research ranking, then it might not be that crazy.

I don’t think it makes sense to rank med schools solely based on research. But this funding change in methodology does seem to more accurately reflect research caliber, so it might be here to stay.

Can someone please explain how UCLA now ranks lower than UCSD
The only "ranking" that even somewhat matters to us as medical students is what residency directors think, which has not changed. USNews benefits from flipping around the rankings and causing drama; if the ranking stayed the same then no one would even be talkin about it. If anything, I hope this #21 ranking stops the prestige obsessed folks from coming to UCLA so we can continue to have a low-key, humble vibe out here. :)

• Care
yall is it possible to transfer to CDU from Geffen pre-matriculatioon. Asking for a friend...

• Hmm
If anyone was wondering, all Geffen awards have been appointed according to the Financial aid office. There are apparently very little merit scholarships left. They did say however that students withdrawing their Geffens would allow other accepted students to be considered for this reward as they finalize school choices.

Any current med students that could talk about living in The Boulevard? Partner and I are interested in the 1 bedroom or loft option.

Any current med students that could talk about living in The Boulevard? Partner and I are interested in the 1 bedroom or loft option.
I second this question. Or if you’re willing to share some responses that you get

When do y'all think we should expect to start seeing WL movement?
According to the AAMC WL procedures, UCLA said that they will not begin considering WL applicants until after May 1st. It seems they are wanting to wait until after "plan to enroll" to have a better idea of how many available seats they have before moving people off the WL.

Does anyone know if we need to dress formal for second look tomorrow?

Hi. Any rejected MSTP applicants who are still waiting for their MD program application decision?