2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mind if I ask where you saw that? I recall MSAR indicated their WL had 150 people, and they accepted 50 from it, which is less than a third of the full UCLA class.

(This, of course, is data from 2 cycles ago so things may be different now.)
I checked out last year's SDN thread so not 100% reliable

Members don't see this ad.

last year, additional non-WL As went out on 3/22
I browsed the two last cycles some time ago and for those curious, last year some WLs were sent 12/20 which were thought to be an error since it was earlyish and they got As a little after. 1 R was reported 2/12, WLs reported 2/19, and a large batch of Rs were sent 2/24. Logically I would've thought a finalized waitlist would be made before sending out notification, and that people on that would be the next acceptances so the 3/22 As are interesting to me.

The cycle before, some WLs were reported 3/1 (and some were subsequently said to be an error from UCLA) then both WLs and Rs were sent 3/4.

I feel like I'd seen WL notifications generally all sent out on one day, which makes sense to make the finalized list before notifying but this year (and the two previous cycles) weren't super consistent either way. Add on a new dean and they could be doing things differently.

Reactions: 1 user
Last year WLs came out on 2/19. Then the biggest and final wave of post-II Rs came out on 2/24. The last wave of straight up As in March were all late interviewees (in December).

So I think this is it. UCLA is cruel.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
honestly, ucla is horrible at transparency and updating their applicants. it was horrible last year, and they did nothing to improve it for this year. quite disappointing

Reactions: 1 users
honestly, ucla is horrible at transparency and updating their applicants. it was horrible last year, and they did nothing to improve it for this year. quite disappointing

At least they got holiday emails last year 😭 not sure if that would have been better or worse LOL

I just declined the alt-list offer. Super hard to do but it was the right thing for me... le sigh. Good luck to everyone still waiting for a decision and those on the alt-list. I am so excited for your futures and I look forward to working along side you all one day.

To everyone still waiting for the 'A,' hang in there! This is such a tough process, and quite frankly, we deserve better. But I choose optimism, and know that you'll get to where you want to be.

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
Is there a polite way to email or call them asking about application status? It’s honestly ridiculous that they would have waiting since September and not update us whatsoever, like why are these mind games necessary?

Is there a polite way to email or call them asking about application status? It’s honestly ridiculous that they would have waiting since September and not update us whatsoever, like why are these mind games necessary?
In the same boat, interviewed on 09/20, so if you find out please post!

Does anyone know what a day in the life looks like at DGSOM?

Are classes offered online? Do you finish classes by noon? How rigorous is the curriculum? How much freedom do you have as a student to spend time on other things such as research, etc etc.

I got the impression that it’s a chill place.

Last edited:
Hate to break it to you guys, but I think that's the end of the road for us in silence. It was fun waiting with y'all, I'm gonna unfollow this thread now. UCLA's candidate experience has really left a sour taste.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I think we could email and ask what it means to not be on the waitlist and if they are done accepting. I am sure most of us will get rejected, but a slim few will get accepted

Members don't see this ad :)
for those who got WL- does the email appear in the "communication status" part of your portal?

With the WL wave, is post-II radio silence now considered a good thing?

EDIT: Just got around to reading the last two pages. Is there a consensus now on whether more direct acceptances will be sent out?

Last edited:
Is this actually supposed to be public? It's pretty creepy because it has all of the students' names.
It’s on their website if you look up their match list history. Also I have seen other schools with their match lists (with student names) posted this way too. It’s kind of sketchy to me as well.

Do you all think more WL spots (top of list and otherwise) are forthcoming? I've heard nothing since my interview date, but saw on this forum that another interviewee from that date was post-II rejected.

It just seems strange to me that UCLA would do post-II rejections after WL when they have recently rejected what seems a large number of applicants (considering it was 5 or so on forums and you can expect significantly underreported).

Could silence not reflect ongoing deliberation as to whether those remaining applicants would be top of WL or just regular WL?

EDIT: In other words, schools either do post-II rejections or silent rejections, they don't do a mix of both. UCLA is in the former camp and making a point of saying "top of" the waitlist is an acknowledgment it is more than likely a "pseudo-admission." So, I think all of that points to those in silence being not yet assigned to a pseudo-admission or general waitlist (possible, but not likely) designation.

Last edited:
They've rejected after giving waitlist notifications last year, so I'm not sure. Thinking about it more after Thursday, it does make sense to me to create the waitlist from the remaining candidates and then reject the rest that were under deliberation for the spots, although of course I'd hope that's not the case. It could also be they're not done with making the waitlist but this is just speculation from me

They've rejected after giving waitlist notifications last year, so I'm not sure. Thinking about it more after Thursday, it does make sense to me to create the waitlist from the remaining candidates and then reject the rest that were under deliberation for the spots, although of course I'd hope that's not the case. It could also be they're not done with making the waitlist but this is just speculation from me
Yeah, but did they had no pre-WL announcement post-II rejections last cycle, as was stated previously in this forum. This cycle has already deviated significantly from last year in that post-II rejections were reported pre-WL announcement.

What I'm saying is it doesn't make sense to announce rejections both before and after WL assignments, and that the pattern from last year is consistent with this, just with post-II rejections exclusively after WL assignments. In other words, applicants in silence immediately post-WL announcement this year have survived more cuts than those at that juncture last year, so that could portend a different result.

Am I saying everyone in silence will get in? Of course not, but what I had said is that "top" WL vs. regular may effectively be the distinction between an eventual A vs. R.

Yeah, but did they have no pre-WL announcement post-II rejections, as was stated previously in this forum. This cycle has already deviated significantly from last year in that a significant number have been post-II rejected pre-WL announcement.

What I'm saying is it doesn't make sense to announce rejections both before and after WL assignments, and that the pattern from last year is consistent with this, just with post-II rejections exclusively after WL assignments. In other words, applicants in silence immediately post-WL announcement this year have survived more cuts than those at that juncture last year, so that could portend a different result.

Am I saying everyone in silence will get in? Of course not, but what I had said is that "top" WL vs. regular may effectively be the distinction between an eventual A vs. R.
Yeah I'm not disagreeing with what you said. There was an R last year before WL, but only 1 reported as opposed to the large wave after WLs were sent. Like you said, there were a lot more Rs sent before this that matches the number of Rs announced overall in past years, so I did think it was pretty likely they'd been done sending Rs. And it's true this cycle isn't the same in pattern so they could be sending multiple WL waves instead of 1 as in past years. I'm not sure and it could be either situation really

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with what you said. There was an R last year before WL, but only 1 reported as opposed to the large wave after WLs were sent. Like you said, there were a lot more Rs sent before this that matches the number of Rs announced overall in past years, so I did think it was pretty likely they'd been done sending Rs. And it's true this cycle isn't the same in pattern so they could be sending multiple WL waves instead of 1 as in past years. I'm not sure and it could be either situation really
I got a "See you in August," so a bit incredulous that I'd be post-II rejected. Subjective, but that's that's where I'm coming from.

I got a "See you in August," so a bit incredulous that I'd be post-II rejected. Subjective, but that's that's where I'm coming from.
If you scroll back in the thread, you'll see a number of people heard the same thing from their interviewers and were rejected. Sadly it's no guarantee.

Yeah I get that. I heard that as well but I took it with a grain of salt since interviewers don't really have the final say and I wasn't sure if they're just being friendly and welcoming.

I did appreciate the points you brought up since I hadn't thought of all of those thoughts. I'm just also trying not to get my hopes up too much since I spent the weekend feeling kind of crushed about it

• Care
Yeah I get that. I heard that as well but I took it with a grain of salt since interviewers don't really have the final say and I wasn't sure if they're just being friendly and welcoming.

I did appreciate the points you brought up since I hadn't thought of all of those thoughts. I'm just also trying not to get my hopes up too much since I spent the weekend feeling kind of crushed about it
Another way of putting it is that the announcement of WL itself revealed no new information for them, only for us. They could have sat on the WL determinations for a week and did post-II rejections to all those outside of WL group before getting around to the WL announcement. Doing so would have been consistent with their established pattern of pre-WL wave post-II rejections this year.

In the scenario that there were post-II rejections to come, that would necessarily mean there were both post-II rejections before and after the WL announcement. On either side of that announcement, nothing has fundamentally changed from their perspective, only from ours. If post-II rejections and WL are mutually exclusive, why would the former not be complete prior to the announcement of the latter?

It just seems more cumbersome, were it done this way, to have an extraneous "limbo" group of applicants between two mutually exclusive outcomes, when the school had ample opportunity to dispose of them.

I called admissions on Friday and they said that there are still acceptances going out, and that was only the first wave of waitlists. I didn't ask if more rejections are going out. Not sure what to make of this and hesitated posting this because I don't want to give people false hope, but that is what they said on the phone. They were very nice and helpful and said to call whenever if you have questions

Reactions: 6 users
How's the waitlist movement at UCLA DGSOM?
On MSAR it says 50 on average per year. I suspect it’ll be more this year because the last few years they accepted a bit less because they overfilled the class early. This year they haven’t done that.

On previous years’ threads, people have said that the previous Dean told them that up to 40% of the class is from the waitlist.

Last year it seemed all the people at the top of the list got an offer and they also moved onto the general waitlist.

Anyone know when is second look is? I feel like they have to tell us a decision by then

Yeah I got the same. I think a lot of people got that. But that being said I got Top of WL

I called admissions on Friday and they said that there are still acceptances going out, and that was only the first wave of waitlists. I didn't ask if more rejections are going out. Not sure what to make of this and hesitated posting this because I don't want to give people false hope, but that is what they said on the phone. They were very nice and helpful and said to call whenever if you have questions
So it looks like Acceptances are going to WL applicants as they try not too overfill the class. I think they are trying really hard not to do that this year especially because two classes will be in clinical rotations at the same time.

It makes sense that the waitlist is basically dynamic. There will be movement probably sooner than later as it shrinks and grows. Those in silence right now still have a chance of getting on it.

Another way of putting it is that the announcement of WL itself revealed no new information for them, only for us. They could have sat on the WL determinations for a week and did post-II rejections to all those outside of WL group before getting around to the WL announcement. Doing so would have been consistent with their established pattern of pre-WL wave post-II rejections this year.

In the scenario that there were post-II rejections to come, that would necessarily mean there were both post-II rejections before and after the WL announcement. On either side of that announcement, nothing has fundamentally changed from their perspective, only from ours. If post-II rejections and WL are mutually exclusive, why would the former not be complete prior to the announcement of the latter?

It just seems more cumbersome, were it done this way, to have an extraneous "limbo" group of applicants between two mutually exclusive outcomes, when the school had ample opportunity to dispose of them.
Yeah I think there is a limbo group. They honestly should just waitlist them soon. I don’t know why they’d keep them in limbo.

Does anyone know how often the admission committee meets? Is it every Thursday or every other Thursday?

Just got an R email. Interviewed early November. Best of luck to all others!

• Care