-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen)
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I haven't seen any movement yet. On the MSAR, UCLA says that WL applicants won't be considered until after May 1st. However, I just saw that in last year's thread that their MSAR also gave the same "after May 1st" timeline, yet people began reporting acceptances off the WL as early as 4/23. So things could, theoretically, start getting spicy this week. 😃Any news? Any movement?
Yeah I saw that! Did anyone get anything today? I haven't heard anything.I haven't seen any movement yet. On the MSAR, UCLA says that WL applicants won't be considered until after May 1st. However, I just saw that in last year's thread that their MSAR also gave the same "after May 1st" timeline, yet people began reporting acceptances off the WL as early as 4/23. So things could, theoretically, start getting spicy this week. 😃
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nothing here either...Yeah I saw that! Did anyone get anything today? I haven't heard anything.
I think we will just have to wait a bit more!
Does anyone know about how WL applicants receive the "top of the list" designation?
urobilinogen
Full Member
From what I read it’s based on score. Highest scores are at the top of the list.Does anyone know about how WL applicants receive the "top of the list" designation?
Thank you! It looks like I accidentally omitted the word "many" from my original post, which completely changed the meaning lol. I was trying to ask how many people receive the "top of the waitlist" designation? Hahaha but thank you so much for the info, @urobilinogen ! 😊From what I read it’s based on score. Highest scores are at the top of the list.
urobilinogen
Full Member
😆Thank you! It looks like I accidentally omitted the word "many" from my original post, which completely changed the meaning lol. I was trying to ask how many people receive the "top of the waitlist" designation? Hahaha but thank you so much for the info, @urobilinogen ! 😊
D
deleted1087877
Also wondering how many ppl get the top of the list notification! If we’re scored (ranked?), does a LOI make a difference?Thank you! It looks like I accidentally omitted the word "many" from my original post, which completely changed the meaning lol. I was trying to ask how many people receive the "top of the waitlist" designation? Hahaha but thank you so much for the info, @urobilinogen ! 😊
Everything I have read suggests that, internally, we are scored and ranked. That being said, I still have no idea how many people get placed in "tier 1". Regarding LOIs, as far as I am aware, UCLA accepts them and, in my opinion, it definitely cannot hurt to send one as long as you're sure they're your top choice. However, I am unsure if they make a difference or not in terms of our ranking being moved up.Also wondering how many ppl get the top of the list notification! If we’re scored (ranked?), does a LOI make a difference?
Thank you for letting us WL folks know! I wish you all the best wherever you have chosen to go! 🙂Withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to everyone on the WL!
Just got accepted off the WL!!!! CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!! Received the email about 10 minutes ago!! Good luck to the rest of you! I am rooting hardcore for you!!
D
deleted1087877
wow congrats!! my guess is that you were on the top of the waitlist? do you guys think that this might be a good sign that there’s gonna be good waitlist movement given its only april 30th?Just got accepted off the WL!!!! CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!! Received the email about 10 minutes ago!! Good luck to the rest of you! I am rooting hardcore for you!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much! That's what it looks like, but I 100% wasn't expecting it! Also, I definitely think this is a manifest of good WL movement for everyone here! 🙂wow congrats!! my guess is that you were on the top of the waitlist? do you guys think that this might be a good sign that there’s gonna be good waitlist movement given its only april 30th?
Sorry, to clarify, I did receive "top of the waitlist" designation back in March, but I wasn't expecting to be pulled off the WL this soon.Thank you so much! That's what it looks like, but I 100% wasn't expecting it! Also, I definitely think this is a manifest of good WL movement for everyone here! 🙂
Heyyyyyyyyyyy congratulations!!! Soo happy for you!!Got in off the WL (top of the WL in the initial email)!
ACCEPTED OFF OF THE WAITLIST!!!!
I am sitting here with the same dilemma and we only have a few hours to figure this out. Can anyone advise??I was accepted off the waitlist a few hours ago!!!!! I interviewed back in September, so it has been a loooooong (mostly silent) ride up to this point.
Quick question--I withdrew from all other schools besides one this morning, but now am I technically sitting on two acceptances? It seems absurd that they would expect me to make a decision by the end of today, but I don't want my other acceptance rescinded due to this last-second acceptance from UCLA. UCLA already responded and said they would give me 15 days, but I haven't heard back from the other school (they're on the East Coast and probably won't check their email until Monday).
I am in this same boat, but here is what I am doing: I am keeping the PTE at the previous institution, but in the spirit of transparency and everyone being on the same page, I have also written them an email to explain my situation. Moreover, UCLA's acceptance doesn't even show up in my AMCAS CYMS portal yet (I was told that could take anywhere from 24-72ish hours to populate there), so by the time the other school sees it, they will already have my explanation.I am sitting here with the same dilemma and we only have a few hours to figure this out. Can anyone advise??
It is also worth mentioning that this last-minute second acceptance scenario is not foreign to medical schools (I have seen quite a few in other threads throughout the day), so the other institutions should be pretty understanding. Finally, what the other institution is wanting is your PTE (which they still already have), so it is even more unlikely that they wouldn't be willing to give us some leeway.I am in this same boat, but here is what I am doing: I am keeping the PTE at the previous institution, but in the spirit of transparency and everyone being on the same page, I have also written them an email to explain my situation. Moreover, UCLA's acceptance doesn't even show up in my AMCAS CYMS portal yet (I was told that could take anywhere from 24-72ish hours to populate there), so by the time the other school sees it, they will already have my explanation.
Congratulations!! Soooo happy for you!!ACCEPTED OFF OF THE WAITLIST!!!!
In this case I would say no need to worry if it’s not in the CYMS!I am in this same boat, but here is what I am doing: I am keeping the PTE at the previous institution, but in the spirit of transparency and everyone being on the same page, I have also written them an email to explain my situation. Moreover, UCLA's acceptance doesn't even show up in my AMCAS CYMS portal yet (I was told that could take anywhere from 24-72ish hours to populate there), so by the time the other school sees it, they will already have my explanation.
Yeah, definitely no need to worry, but I still sent my email just to cover my bases for when it does inevitably pop up on AMCAS. 🙂In this case I would say no need to worry if it’s not in the CYMS!
singerdaes
New Member
I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday!!!! I didn't have the "top of the waitlist" distinction. Ahhh God is Good! Praying for you all!
Congratulations!! Soo happy for you!!I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday!!!! I didn't have the "top of the waitlist" distinction. Ahhh God is Good! Praying for you all!
Congrats!!! Did you submit a letter of intent ??I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday!!!! I didn't have the "top of the waitlist" distinction. Ahhh God is Good! Praying for you all!
perplexing_pegasus
Full Member
Rumor is that more waitlist movement to come today and this week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1087877
how do you know?? source??Rumor is that more waitlist movement to come today and this week.
TTRaybands
New Member
I had gotten an A last Friday and this whole navigating two acceptances thing after April 30th is extremely confusing haha. I'm scared to accept it on the portal because I don't wan't to break any rules, but I also want to consider the school in its entirety. What exactly do I email to the school I'm currently planned to enroll at, so that they don't think i'm withdrawing but just considering UCLA.
perplexing_pegasus
Full Member
admissionshow do you know?? source??
when do alternate list acceptances find out about merit awards?
watermelon2468
New Member
Does UCLA usually accept a decent amount off their WL?
According to MSAR, they typically accept about 50 off the WL.Does UCLA usually accept a decent amount off their WL?
pansycheese
New Member
I'm in the same spot! I accepted the offer in the AMP portal since that's the only way to be considered for financial aid. I emailed my other A to assure them I'm still very interested in attending but am taking the full 15 days to consider this other offer.I had gotten an A last Friday and this whole navigating two acceptances thing after April 30th is extremely confusing haha. I'm scared to accept it on the portal because I don't wan't to break any rules, but I also want to consider the school in its entirety. What exactly do I email to the school I'm currently planned to enroll at, so that they don't think i'm withdrawing but just considering UCLA.
The FB group currently has 360 people, but in past years it ranged from 450-500+. I know it’s mixed with a lot of current currents, but still, is there a particular reason why they have a lot less people this year, like way less current students joined the group? Or the yield is especially low this year?
Last edited:
CastIronKing
Full Member
Accepted off waitlist
Congrats! What date did you both get your waitlist email?
Accepted off waitlist😍🙏🙏🙏(did not recieve high priority email) !!!!!!
D
deleted1087877
Mine was the that last waitlist crew i think mid march?Congrats! What date did you both get your waitlist email?
D
deleted1087877
Anyone know where i can find a month to month breakdown of the new curriculum?
Same!Anyone know where i can find a month to month breakdown of the new curriculum?
Committed this week. Waited so long and lost hope until top of list notification. Thankful to be going to DGSOM. See you all in the fall!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The "GroupMe" discord has recordings of their Second Look weekend, where their "Curricular Affairs" presentation has a ton of detailed monthly and even weekly curriculum schedules for M1-M4.Same!
Hey, classmate! I recently committed as well. Looking forward to seeing you in the Fall as well! 😊Committed this week. Waited so long and lost hope until top of list notification. Thankful to be going to DGSOM. See you all in the fall!
D
deleted1087877
Anyone accepted off waitlist received merit awards/geffen??
Not hereAnyone accepted off waitlist received merit awards/geffen??
Not sure about other people, but I have not. I have only received need-based..Anyone accepted off waitlist received merit awards/geffen??
watermelon2468
New Member
For need-based aid, do they specify that it is need based scholarship/aid?Not here
Not sure about other people, but I have not. I have only received need-based..