2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any news? Any movement?

Members don't see this ad.

Any news? Any movement?
I haven't seen any movement yet. On the MSAR, UCLA says that WL applicants won't be considered until after May 1st. However, I just saw that in last year's thread that their MSAR also gave the same "after May 1st" timeline, yet people began reporting acceptances off the WL as early as 4/23. So things could, theoretically, start getting spicy this week. 😃

I haven't seen any movement yet. On the MSAR, UCLA says that WL applicants won't be considered until after May 1st. However, I just saw that in last year's thread that their MSAR also gave the same "after May 1st" timeline, yet people began reporting acceptances off the WL as early as 4/23. So things could, theoretically, start getting spicy this week. 😃
Yeah I saw that! Did anyone get anything today? I haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know about how WL applicants receive the "top of the list" designation?

From what I read it’s based on score. Highest scores are at the top of the list.
Thank you! It looks like I accidentally omitted the word "many" from my original post, which completely changed the meaning lol. I was trying to ask how many people receive the "top of the waitlist" designation? Hahaha but thank you so much for the info, @urobilinogen ! 😊

Thank you! It looks like I accidentally omitted the word "many" from my original post, which completely changed the meaning lol. I was trying to ask how many people receive the "top of the waitlist" designation? Hahaha but thank you so much for the info, @urobilinogen ! 😊
Also wondering how many ppl get the top of the list notification! If we’re scored (ranked?), does a LOI make a difference?

Also wondering how many ppl get the top of the list notification! If we’re scored (ranked?), does a LOI make a difference?
Everything I have read suggests that, internally, we are scored and ranked. That being said, I still have no idea how many people get placed in "tier 1". Regarding LOIs, as far as I am aware, UCLA accepts them and, in my opinion, it definitely cannot hurt to send one as long as you're sure they're your top choice. However, I am unsure if they make a difference or not in terms of our ranking being moved up.

Withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to everyone on the WL!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted off the WL!!!! CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!! Received the email about 10 minutes ago!! Good luck to the rest of you! I am rooting hardcore for you!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just got accepted off the WL!!!! CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!! Received the email about 10 minutes ago!! Good luck to the rest of you! I am rooting hardcore for you!!
wow congrats!! my guess is that you were on the top of the waitlist? do you guys think that this might be a good sign that there’s gonna be good waitlist movement given its only april 30th?

Got in off the WL (top of the WL in the initial email)!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
wow congrats!! my guess is that you were on the top of the waitlist? do you guys think that this might be a good sign that there’s gonna be good waitlist movement given its only april 30th?
Thank you so much! That's what it looks like, but I 100% wasn't expecting it! Also, I definitely think this is a manifest of good WL movement for everyone here! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much! That's what it looks like, but I 100% wasn't expecting it! Also, I definitely think this is a manifest of good WL movement for everyone here! :)
Sorry, to clarify, I did receive "top of the waitlist" designation back in March, but I wasn't expecting to be pulled off the WL this soon.

I was accepted off the waitlist a few hours ago!!!!! I interviewed back in September, so it has been a loooooong (mostly silent) ride up to this point.

Quick question--I withdrew from all other schools besides one this morning, but now am I technically sitting on two acceptances? It seems absurd that they would expect me to make a decision by the end of today, but I don't want my other acceptance rescinded due to this last-second acceptance from UCLA. UCLA already responded and said they would give me 15 days, but I haven't heard back from the other school (they're on the East Coast and probably won't check their email until Monday).
I am sitting here with the same dilemma and we only have a few hours to figure this out. Can anyone advise??

I am sitting here with the same dilemma and we only have a few hours to figure this out. Can anyone advise??
I am in this same boat, but here is what I am doing: I am keeping the PTE at the previous institution, but in the spirit of transparency and everyone being on the same page, I have also written them an email to explain my situation. Moreover, UCLA's acceptance doesn't even show up in my AMCAS CYMS portal yet (I was told that could take anywhere from 24-72ish hours to populate there), so by the time the other school sees it, they will already have my explanation.

I am in this same boat, but here is what I am doing: I am keeping the PTE at the previous institution, but in the spirit of transparency and everyone being on the same page, I have also written them an email to explain my situation. Moreover, UCLA's acceptance doesn't even show up in my AMCAS CYMS portal yet (I was told that could take anywhere from 24-72ish hours to populate there), so by the time the other school sees it, they will already have my explanation.
It is also worth mentioning that this last-minute second acceptance scenario is not foreign to medical schools (I have seen quite a few in other threads throughout the day), so the other institutions should be pretty understanding. Finally, what the other institution is wanting is your PTE (which they still already have), so it is even more unlikely that they wouldn't be willing to give us some leeway.

In this case I would say no need to worry if it’s not in the CYMS!

I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday!!!! I didn't have the "top of the waitlist" distinction. Ahhh God is Good! Praying for you all!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday!!!! I didn't have the "top of the waitlist" distinction. Ahhh God is Good! Praying for you all!
Congrats!!! Did you submit a letter of intent ??

I had gotten an A last Friday and this whole navigating two acceptances thing after April 30th is extremely confusing haha. I'm scared to accept it on the portal because I don't wan't to break any rules, but I also want to consider the school in its entirety. What exactly do I email to the school I'm currently planned to enroll at, so that they don't think i'm withdrawing but just considering UCLA.

I had gotten an A last Friday and this whole navigating two acceptances thing after April 30th is extremely confusing haha. I'm scared to accept it on the portal because I don't wan't to break any rules, but I also want to consider the school in its entirety. What exactly do I email to the school I'm currently planned to enroll at, so that they don't think i'm withdrawing but just considering UCLA.
I'm in the same spot! I accepted the offer in the AMP portal since that's the only way to be considered for financial aid. I emailed my other A to assure them I'm still very interested in attending but am taking the full 15 days to consider this other offer.

The FB group currently has 360 people, but in past years it ranged from 450-500+. I know it’s mixed with a lot of current currents, but still, is there a particular reason why they have a lot less people this year, like way less current students joined the group? Or the yield is especially low this year?

Last edited:
Accepted off waitlist😍🙏🙏🙏(did not recieve high priority email) !!!!!!

• Love
Anyone know where i can find a month to month breakdown of the new curriculum?

Committed this week. Waited so long and lost hope until top of list notification. Thankful to be going to DGSOM. See you all in the fall!

• Care
  • Love
Committed this week. Waited so long and lost hope until top of list notification. Thankful to be going to DGSOM. See you all in the fall!
Hey, classmate! I recently committed as well. Looking forward to seeing you in the Fall as well! 😊

• Love