2020-2021 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update: Just got an acceptance email! Current medsci who initially didn't match Friday. Heads up and stay strong, my friends ❤️

I have heard that MedSci is commonly accepted from the waitlist and it appears many MedScis in my class were accepted off the waitlist.

Stay strong guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I have still yet to receive an email after not matching, but I just checked the myHSC portal and it says I have been waitlisted! Not ideal, but still happy it was not an R

• Care
Waitlisted and delighted! (Never thought I would be so happy over a WL haha but its a small bit of hope I wasn't expecting)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist notification just now. Don’t lose hope guys!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Is everyone who interviewed waitlisted, or is TCOM selective on who gets placed on their waitlist?

Is everyone who interviewed waitlisted, or is TCOM selective on who gets placed on their waitlist?
I believe TCOM is one of the few schools in Texas who reaches out on a case-by-case to reject people.

If you haven't received that communication, assume you're waitlisted.

Reactions: 1 user
Also was put on the waitlist yesterday, anybody know how many people typically get in off of it?
EDIT: Nvm, portal says that 50 got in of the WL last year

Last edited:
Hello everyone I was wondering will TCOM accept grades from spring 2021 as pass/fail? If I have already gained an acceptance?
Thanks!

Does TCOM have a group chat/GroupMe for accepted students?

Can letters of intent be emailed to the school or do they have to be mailed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can letters of intent be emailed to the school or do they have to be mailed?
To be honest, I made a formal pdf letter with Kennedy's info provided on the waitlist FAQ. Because of covid, I'm not sure if they will accept/take letters mailed. I just remember that my sister's elementary school quarantined valentines day cards for two weeks so I didn't want to make TCOM do that LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Anybody here thinking also about applying for the medsci SMP program? I did not match and I'm trying to weigh my options. 3.6 gpa and 515 mcat

Anybody here thinking also about applying for the medsci SMP program? I did not match and I'm trying to weigh my options. 3.6 gpa and 515 mcat
I have similar stats, also didn't match (TCOM was my only interview). Hopeful about maybe getting accepted off the waitlist but I did apply to the medsci program. I applied to do the in person cohort but I think that the application deadline for in person has passed. The online program looks great though! The program in general seems to have a great reputation.

Feel like that GPA is high enough to not warrant it but the cycle feels like a crapshoot a lot of the times so idk.

I have found that Texas is very unforgiving for lower GPAs (below average). I’m not saying that you should do an SMP, but your MCAT is not the problem

Class of 2024 here and just want to say congratulations to everyone accepted and to those of you on the WL, many people in my class were called off in May, so it's still early. TCOM is a fantastic school and the faculty is absolutely amazing. Welcome to your new home!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any past experience with the waitlist? As in, when do most people get off the waitlist? I’ve been accepted to another school but cost of attendance is around $85K/year! I’d much rather stay in Texas and save my non-existent money. I’m scheduled to take ENG 1301 (already did 1302) as a maymester and am hoping I get off the waitlist for TCOM. Would I even be considered if my eng requirement isn’t complete until June? Sorry to bother! First timer here!

Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any past experience with the waitlist? As in, when do most people get off the waitlist? I’ve been accepted to another school but cost of attendance is around $85K/year! I’d much rather stay in Texas and save my non-existent money. I’m scheduled to take ENG 1301 (already did 1302) as a maymester and am hoping I get off the waitlist for TCOM. Would I even be considered if my eng requirement isn’t complete until June? Sorry to bother! First timer here!
Hi! Email Admissions at [email protected] to make sure. They're quite prompt.

I don't think not completing the course will hinder you from being chosen to be off the waitlist.

Hello guys,

Could someone go over the course requirements for Tcom?

I wanted to make sure I have all the right courses prior to matriculation.

Thanks!

As long as you successfully complete it before school starts at TCOM you will be safe!
TCOM has made a few WL offers so far, and there will probably be more towards end of April/May
Hello guys,

Could someone go over the course requirements for Tcom?

I wanted to make sure I have all the right courses prior to matriculation.

Thanks!
@Doc5253 here is the link: Admissions Requirements Texas College of Osteopathic Mediciine
You can check your classes against it - something it would be good to do at the time of applying, for those who read this post in the future!

As long as you successfully complete it before school starts at TCOM you will be safe!
TCOM has made a few WL offers so far, and there will probably be more towards end of April/May

@Doc5253 here is the link: Admissions Requirements Texas College of Osteopathic Mediciine
You can check your classes against it - something it would be good to do at the time of applying, for those who read this post in the future!
Thank you! I completed all my prerequisites at a community College. I have received a grade for all of these courses listed.

Would that be okay? Thanks!

Thank you! I completed all my prerequisites at a community College. I have received a grade for all of these courses listed.

Would that be okay? Thanks!
That isn't stated on the web page, just that each course must be graded and not pass/fail. I guess it's time to email and ask them!

Heads up: if you mailed your letter of intent or additional letter of recommendation I would recommend calling the admissions office to verify they have been added to your file. I called yesterday and found out that my LOI (sent in early March) had just been added to my file and my LOR had not been received (sent 2.5 weeks ago). It is being resolved but wouldn't want anyone's letters to be overlooked so wanted to share since the deadline is Friday. They were super nice and helpful when I called so don't be afraid!

SO anyone know or heard of any waitlist movement from TCOM..?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
just turned down my acceptance here. hoping my spot goes to one of y'all soon!

• Love
Just withdrew my acceptance here. TCOM is awesome and I hope one you on the waitlist gets my spot!

• Love
Hi everyone, I was just accepted off of the waitlist! Thank you to whoever gave me this seat, I couldn't be more grateful. God bless!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Hi everyone, I was just accepted off of the waitlist! Thank you to whoever gave me this seat, I couldn't be more grateful. God bless!
Congrats! Are you IS or OOS? Did you get an email?

Glad to hear some news haha

Congrats!!!!! Did you send in a LOI and/or additional LOR?
So excited for you and excited to see some movement starting! :)

Just accepted off the waitlist! IS, I also got an email, former MedSci. Thank you GOD!

• Love
  • Wow
Congrats!!!!! Did you send in a LOI and/or additional LOR?
So excited for you and excited to see some movement starting! :)
Thanks girl!! :)

The only thing I sent was an update letter in April because I interviewed in January so a ton happened between my interview and getting waitlisted in March!

I'm sure this has been asked before, but if there an incoming class groupme? I got accepted a couple of months ago and forgot to ask!

Do yall think there will be any more waitlist movements...? Or is it safe to think that it is over

Last edited:
Do yall think there will be any more waitlist movements...? Or is it safe to think that it is over
Yes! I think the majority of movement happens prior to June 1st so still time. Looking back a last years thread it looks like they started offering deferred admissions early/mid June. Unsure if they will do that again this year though

Has anyone heard anything about the waitlist or deferred acceptance?