2021-2022 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Keep in mind, during last year's cycle the class completely filled early December 2020 and so everyone applying later were getting interviewed later and were interviewing for a WL position / accepted pending a seat status which led to the deferred admissions that you can read about earlier in this thread. I'm not saying you shouldn't apply here if you can muster the funds up for the application, but don't be too surprised if the class fills before they even get to your application. The old saying that as long as you apply by Thanksgiving for DO school you are fine, is not really a good rule of thumb anymore.
At one DO school I applied to, I recently received an II and the earliest I could schedule was late February. I also feel like this advice does not hold true anymore. I was mostly complete for DO in September, and I'm worried that was too late.

Members don't see this ad.

I was complete in July and still haven't heard back..
Being complete early doesn't mean you are going to hear back early. Moreover, applying late regardless of how competitive you are is almost always bad b/c schools fill their classes quickly and may just WL you when they may have admitted you if you simply applied earlier. Every school uses different algorithms for the order in which they interview people; I am not totally sure how ATSU selects applicants to interview, but they are really really big on mission and fit, and have previously admitted people with low MCAT scores. It's safe to say stats (at least MCAT) aren't as big of a deal at SOMA compared to other DO schools. If you applied early, and haven't heard back, I'd recommend remaining patient. Consider also contacting the school pre-interview expressing your interest--just make sure you don't harass their admin office by sending too many messages or making too many calls as it is a very busy season for their admin office.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any past students who did their rotations at the Mesa site have any insight?

Were most of you all able to stay in the same location, did anyone move? I got my site locked in, and was hoping that would mean I wouldnt have to move year 2. Think there's good housing options that work for the first year, and the following 3 at the Mesa CHC site?

Hi guys, I got my acceptance call on 10/14 and was wondering if any accepted students could let me know how long it took for you guys to receive your acceptance letters by email?

Hi guys, I got my acceptance call on 10/14 and was wondering if any accepted students could let me know how long it took for you guys to receive your acceptance letters by email?
Congratulations!! 🎉 do you mind sharing what date you interviewed?

I received my email the next day!

Reactions: 1 user
To anyone accepted, I HIGHLY recommend reaching out to the student ambassadors. Multiple students got back to me from different CHC's and were very candid about their sites and very nice/helpful. I really appreciated getting the extra info while ranking my selections. Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those who have been accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an acceptance voicemail yesterday!! Interviewed on 10/29!!

Edit: 9/29 lol oops

Last edited:
This might be a silly question, but for the Clinical and Community Services Experiences tab of the application, did you all describe the experience only? or why it was meaningful as well?

Hi all, just wondering if anyone here has sent an update letter/letter of interest to ATSU? I haven't heard back from them and I've been complete since 9/17 and my R's from everywhere else are piling up. Any advice would be great!

Hi all, just wondering if anyone here has sent an update letter/letter of interest to ATSU? I haven't heard back from them and I've been complete since 9/17 and my R's from everywhere else are piling up. Any advice would be great!
It’s too early I would say

Got the post II r but I am honestly okay, I didn’t click with the faculty as much as anywhere I got accepted to. Best of luck to everyone else and still grateful for the opportunity!

Placed on the alternate list. Interviewed 10/1. Thought my interview went well, but this wasn't my top choice anyway. best of luck to anyone else waiting!

Is attendance mandatory? Also, what's up with negs I hear about curriculum?

Is attendance mandatory? Also, what's up with negs I hear about curriculum?
I have heard there is mandatory dress code and attendance--maybe some current students can elaborate on this? The negative comments about the curriculum is based on the transition to a 100% problem based learning (PBL) curriculum with faculty serving more as facilitator rather than lecturer---the beginning of this thread has more info about this. Depending on the small group you're in, your experience might vary in terms of what you learn and get out of it. The bottom line is that as a guinea pig class with a new dean and entirely new curriculum, there is concern that the quality of education you receive might not be that good especially for a tuition that is over $60k annually. Usually it takes the first year or two of a new curriculum for the kinks of a new curriculum to be ironed out...

I have heard there is mandatory dress code and attendance--maybe some current students can elaborate on this? The negative comments about the curriculum is based on the transition to a 100% problem based learning (PBL) curriculum with faculty serving more as facilitator rather than lecturer---the beginning of this thread has more info about this. Depending on the small group you're in, your experience might vary in terms of what you learn and get out of it. The bottom line is that as a guinea pig class with a new dean and entirely new curriculum, there is concern that the quality of education you receive might not be that good especially for a tuition that is over $60k annually. Usually it takes the first year or two of a new curriculum for the kinks of a new curriculum to be ironed out...
We definitely need a current student in here, but I do not recall a mandatory dress code nor lecture attendance. All I can find on their website says "clean clothes, good hygiene". My interview was like 2 months ago so I forgot some of the details.

I specifically remember the student talking about watching lectures at 2x speed at home, but again, I am not positive on these fronts.

As for the curriculum totally good points, but I will mention it looks like SOMA has been heading towards this for a while, which doesn't ease qualms completely but is important that the faculty is very familiar with PBL at this point. If PBL is right for you in a different story though!

Are there any students from the class of 2025 who can talk more about what the new PBL curriculum looks like?
Thanks!

Current student here.

To clear up confusion - dress code (caribbean blue scrubs in general; any color scrubs for anatomy; professional dress during CSL/OSCEs) is mandatory on campus.

Only a few lectures are mandatory. OPP and medical skills class are mandatory. Pre-recorded lectures can be done at your own pace. Live lectures are recorded and made available online.

Are there any students from the class of 2025 who can talk more about what the new PBL curriculum looks like?
Thanks!

I believe the new curriculum will start with class of 2026.

I echo what @cali-native86 has mentioned above in regards to PBL and the direction the school is taking.

Current student here.

To clear up confusion - dress code (caribbean blue scrubs in general; any color scrubs for anatomy; professional dress during CSL/OSCEs) is mandatory on campus.

Only a few lectures are mandatory. OPP and medical skills class are mandatory. Pre-recorded lectures can be done at your own pace. Live lectures are recorded and made available online.

I echo what @cali-native86 has mentioned above in regards to PBL and the direction the school is taking.
Okay, thanks for the response! I have an acceptance for the class of 2026, and I think I'm going to withdraw it due to this.

• Sad
Current student here.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Applied 9/10 have yet to hear back either way. Is it too soon to send an email to check in?

To anyone accepted, I HIGHLY recommend reaching out to the student ambassadors. Multiple students got back to me from different CHC's and were very candid about their sites and very nice/helpful. I really appreciated getting the extra info while ranking my selections. Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those who have been accepted!
Hey, where would I go to do this? I was accepted and have questions about my CHC location. Thanks!

Hey, where would I go to do this? I was accepted and have questions about my CHC location. Thanks!
I emailed someone from admissions just saying "could you put me in contact with someone from XYZ locations" and I got emails for those sites.

Can anyone speak about the GPS (Graduate Health Professions Scholarship)? Are all accepted students invited to apply or just those who meet the criteria? What is the scholarship amount, chances of selection, notification timeframe, etc.? Thanks!

Interview scheduled for November 5 - OOS!

if there are any current students on this thread, could they elaborate on why they chose ATSU SOMA over other school? and talk about some of the ways this school stands out from other places

Interviewed on 10-15. Has anyone else here interviewed in October? If so, have you heard anything yet?

Interviewed on 10-15. Has anyone else here interviewed in October? If so, have you heard anything yet?
Interviewed on 10/13, still haven’t heard anything yet. They said we’ll hear the decisions about 3-4 weeks after the interview, so maybe we’ll hear this upcoming week :)

Got an acceptance call today that said they filled the class, but there is a spot for me when other people's deposit deadlines pass... so I guess a waitlist that moves quickly? I'm happy to know they like me either way, and I like them too. It is one of my top choices. Interviewed 10/15

Got an acceptance call today that said they filled the class, but there is a spot for me when other people's deposit deadlines pass... so I guess a waitlist that moves quickly? I'm happy to know they like me either way, and I like them too. It is one of my top choices. Interviewed 10/15
wow the class is full?? damn. I guess people will start declining the offer once they get other A's.

Well, it’s good to know that I’ve been completely ghosted by them. Congrats on your A

Hey everyone,

I’m a first year medical student at another medical school and wanted to give some advice regarding making decisions on what school to attend. I got accepted to ATSU-SOMA last cycle along with other schools. The main reason I didn’t choose SOMA is because the rumors were that the curriculum changes were going to be starting with the class of 2025, which didn’t end up happening. I knew I didn’t want a mostly PBL curriculum.

If you are accepted, you really need to do your research on the PBL curriculum and what that means. Medical school is not easy and you want to attend a school that has a curriculum you can be successful in.

SOMA is a great school and while at times I do regret not choosing SOMA especially since the curriculum changes didn’t happen like rumored, I’m at a school that has a curriculum that I have been very successful in over 2 and a half blocks thus far. Med school is not undergrad I can promise you that, so you want to be at a school that will teach you in a way that makes med school less stressful!

Congrats to everyone for doing this and getting in! If you haven’t gotten in anywhere, keep your head up it will all work out in the long run. Thank you guys!

Crazy ATSU is already waitlisting applicants from Oct interviews-- this didn't happen til Dec last cycle. Nevertheless, congrats on the acceptance pending a seat opening up status.

Well, it’s good to know that I’ve been completely ghosted by them. Congrats on your A
The admissions staff I spoke with on the phone yesterday said that there is no "ghosting" and that if you have not received a hard rejection email, then you are still under review and being considered. I understand the anxiety of this waiting period... I'm in it right now too. But it is still too early to jump to conclusions about the end result of this cycle.

Has anyone who Interviewed at 10/20 or 10/22 hear back yet?