2021-2022 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm still on interview hold. So, I guess there's no chance of getting an II if interviews are already filled up til Jan/Feb.
+1

Members don't see this ad.

Just got off the interview waitlist! Holy cow Feb 4th! But better than no interview right. Going to be tough as a low stat applicant.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got off the interview waitlist! Holy cow Feb 4th! But better than no interview right. Going to be tough as a low stat applicant.
Wow I thought no one got off the waitlist. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else check their portal to see if they are still on the II waitlist after reading that or is it just me 😂😂

Reactions: 6 users
Lol I should maybe mention this is my 3rd cycle applying.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I was originally placed on interview hold. Got offered an interview 8/11 interviewed 9/17 and was accepted 9/22!

Reactions: 4 users
Alright ACOM take me off the waitlist . Pls….

to the acom adcom that checks their sdn page … I’ll pay my deposit right now

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Received an II this week! So happy and excited!

Also, I may be unnecessarily worried about this, but I also saw that the sign-up link took me straight to January. I went ahead and signed-up for the first available date I saw. There was an option to see later dates, but I do not remember if there was an option to go backwards to see dates before January. Just worried that I may have somehow missed an earlier available date. It seems that those dates are all filled (based on posts on here), but I just wanted to be sure.

I got a complete email yesterday, checked the microsite today to see interview waitlist but no email notification. wondering if most people get them or not

I got a complete email yesterday, checked the microsite today to see interview waitlist but no email notification. wondering if most people get them or not
Yea they update portal first and then sometimes email

For everyone that has interviews and are worried about them being later in the cycle.

Monitor the premed facebook pages. I wasn't supposed to interview until December and I found someone who wanted to switch days with me (they had bee accepted elsewhere) and I was able to interview like 2 months earlier.

On Interview-Waitlist Hold for 3+ weeks. wondering anyone got II from the Interview-waitlist-Hold.

Anyone else been on the pre-II hold for a month now?

One of the secondary questions asks: What are your personal attributes that demonstrate the osteopathic philosophy?

Having trouble understanding what this is asking and how to answer. What do my personal qualities have to do with the osteopathic philosophy?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I interpreted this question as choosing some of the osteopathic principles and relating them to how you live your life, how you want to practice medicine, and what activity have you done that shows you were able to develop this attribute/characteristic. For example, if you have an activity that focused a lot on patient-centered care or mental health explain how it demonstrates your osteopathic philosophy of patient-centered care or mind, body, and spirit approach.

I interpreted this question as choosing some of the osteopathic principles and relating them to how you live your life, how you want to practice medicine, and what activity have you done that shows you were able to develop this attribute/characteristic. For example, if you have an activity that focused a lot on patient-centered care or mental health explain how it demonstrates your osteopathic philosophy of patient-centered care or mind, body, and spirit approach.
This was helpful. Thank you!

**Late Post**
Secondary received 7/6, submitted 7/11, II 7/29, attended 8/13, ACCEPTANCE 8/19!!!
Overall great experience interviewing. It was my first-ever medical school interview so I was a tad bit nervous but the interview turned out to be very conversational and there was a ton of laughs. The interview format was 2-on-1, open-file, and lasted 30 minutes.
Found out via email that I was accepted 6 days after the interview!! It is a great feeling to know that I have a medical school acceptance this early in the cycle! Would love to connect with some current students to learn more about their experiences so far (feel free to PM me!)
Good luck to everyone applying and I hope that everyone who has interviewed receives good news soon! :)

Out of curiosity, what was it that they mailed you?
Oh a whole boatload of stuff
-coffee tumbler
-ACOM print socks
-peanut stress ball
-hand sanitizer
-2 pens
-confetti tube (you puncture it, shake it and it shoots confetti out; wouldn’t recommend without a vacuum handy lol)
-notebook
-Fanny pack
-koozie
-phone cleaner (you spray with one end and then pull a sheet out to wipe your screen)
1ECA043C-9465-427E-9DD8-065F1A6379CF.jpeg

Reactions: 10 users
Oh a whole boatload of stuff
-coffee tumbler
-ACOM print socks
-peanut stress ball
-hand sanitizer
-2 pens
-confetti tube (you puncture it, shake it and it shoots confetti out; wouldn’t recommend without a vacuum handy lol)
-notebook
-Fanny pack
-koozie
-phone cleaner (you spray with one end and then pull a sheet out to wipe your screen)
Can not wait to wear that fanny pack:love:

Congrats and good luck!! Were you ever on the pre-II waitlist?
Thank you!! And no, they emailed me a couple days ago that my application was complete then got the II today

Anyone else been on the pre-II hold for a month now?
Yep. I think it has something to do with my Casper score. My regular stats are high, but my Casper score is really low. I finished my secondary in early July.

Yep. I think it has something to do with my Casper score. My regular stats are high, but my Casper score is really low. I finished my secondary in early July.
My stats are high ish too, and my Casper is high as well. Been on the hold for nearly 3 months now I believe.

My stats are high ish too, and my Casper is high as well. Been on the hold for nearly 3 months now I believe.
Interesting. I’m OOS, so maybe that’s it, but I have some ties to Alabama. Good luck to you! I’m sure high stats + high Casper will result in a pull off the interview waitlist.

Just got the A!!! So freaking happy.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the A! Interviewed last Friday, 9/24/21.

Reactions: 5 users
Interesting. I’m OOS, so maybe that’s it, but I have some ties to Alabama. Good luck to you! I’m sure high stats + high Casper will result in a pull off the interview waitlist.
I scored in 4th percentile on Casper, so I’m not sure why I’m still on hold. I’m going to call them next week and see what’s going on.

I scored in 4th percentile on Casper, so I’m not sure why I’m still on hold. I’m going to call them next week and see what’s going on.
Stating you did well on Casper and deserve an interview will not yield an interview, there is a lot more that goes into an application than high stats. I know students who were on pre-interview holds for months, interview season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Yeah don’t do that.

Agreed with above, Would just be patient despite how neurotic it can feel. Deposits aren't due yet, so many are holding onto their spots.
It also doesn't help that no one is quite sure how heavily Casper is weighted compared to the other, many important things in the application process

Best case scenario they give you a generic response of "this year was unprecedented applications, very busy, etc."
Worst case scenario they continue ignoring you and leave you in the dark

Many people will drop their acceptances as the cycle continues and I have heard from many of my current classmates who came off the waitlist and received interviews/acceptances in late spring/early summer

Last edited:
Stating you did well on Casper and deserve an interview will not yield an interview, there is a lot more that goes into an application than high stats. I know students who were on pre-interview holds for months, interview season is a marathon, not a sprint.
Oh no I’m not staying I deserve an interview at all. I was just replying to someone saying they think they might have not gotten one because of their Casper. I’m simply stating that I did well and still on hold so it can’t be that reason. Scores aren’t everything at all. I was just gonna call them to ask what the general wait is usually for a pre-interview hold :) but I understand how that might off wrong even tho that’s not my intention. I’ll take everyone suggestions and just wait it out. Thank you.

Oh no I’m not staying I deserve an interview at all. I was just replying to someone saying they think they might have not gotten one because of their Casper. I’m simply stating that I did well and still on hold so it can’t be that reason. Scores aren’t everything at all. I was just gonna call them to ask what the general wait is usually for a pre-interview hold :) but I understand how that might off wrong even tho that’s not my intention. I’ll take everyone suggestions and just wait it out. Thank you.
This type of school seems to be looking to find people that fit a mission very well. I was complete and the next day I got an interview invite with a 3.4 gpa and a 498 MCAT.I also found out two weeks after getting an invite that my Casper was a 1st quartile.. at a school like I tend to believe as long as you are competent enough your fine but HAVE to fit the mission and the other obvious things.. ( clinical experiences, etc…) do you fit their mission? Stats don’t mean everything!

This type of school seems to be looking to find people that fit a mission very well. I was complete and the next day I got an interview invite with a 3.4 gpa and a 498 MCAT.I also found out two weeks after getting an invite that my Casper was a 1st quartile.. at a school like I tend to believe as long as you are competent enough your fine but HAVE to fit the mission and the other obvious things.. ( clinical experiences, etc…) do you fit their mission? Stats don’t mean everything!
You’re 100% correct and congrats on the interview!! 🎉

• Love
advice for the interview?? Should I be worried I got the interview for all the way in January... you think this is too far away?

advice for the interview?? Should I be worried I got the interview for all the way in January... you think this is too far away?
Just know your application well. The interview was super laid back and conversational. You’ll be fine

Reactions: 1 users
Know your application and why you want to be a doctor. ACOM is full of really nice people who love their school and care about their students.

How long does it normally take ACOM to make a decision post-interview?