2021-2022 Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a Call yesterday!!!!! OOS, but ties to the state.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Got a R early August and just received a letter packet in the mail thanking me for my interest in UAB with SOM stickers and gifts had to double check that I had actually been rejected. Anyone else get this and know why lol?
severance pay :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
Any R’s or II recently? Seems like it’s been pretty quiet on here!

Reactions: 1 users
Any in state people not gotten an II yet? I submitted my secondary in late July (516,3.8) and think it’s pretty weird I haven’t heard anything back yet. Lots of clinical experience too idk just makes me nervous since Thanksgiving is right around the corner.

Any in state people not gotten an II yet? I submitted my secondary in late July (516,3.8) and think it’s pretty weird I haven’t heard anything back yet. Lots of clinical experience too idk just makes me nervous since Thanksgiving is right around the corner.
Do they need the AAMC SJT to be completed for an interview?

Does it mean they will interview without SJT assuming you registered?

They said in a info session that I went to that they will send you an II before the SJT is complete but you will only be allowed to schedule your interview for a date after your SJT score is back. I believe all SJT exams are done for this year tho.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a low sjt and I’m OOS I’m so screwed lol no news on ii yet

They said low SJT won’t affect their decision. They said they ignore it if it’s below a 7 I believe. As for being OOS tho that’s not looking great unless you have significant ties unfortunately 😢

Anyone else interviewed in September and still hasn't heard back? is that normal?

Anyone else interviewed in September and still hasn't heard back? is that normal?
Although they review each and every month of each applicant, this usually is a waitlist I think historically (from SDN data at least from previous threads), but I'm not 100% sure. This is what happened to me last year.

Although there are people who interview and end up hearing 2-3 months after, most people post being accepted immediately after.

• Care
I just got a packet in the mail with a UAB SOM sticker and information, yet no interview 😥

Omg where’s my sticker and info pack .
When were you complete?

I was complete 9/15. It’s a big sticker that says “university of Alabama school of medicine” what am I to do with that if I don’t get in there 😭

I was complete 9/15. It’s a big sticker that says “university of Alabama school of medicine” what am I to do with that if I don’t get in there 😭
Keep it as vintage. They've been renamed Heersink School of Medicine thanks to a 93 million dollar donation.

I interviewed in August and have heard nothing back yet if that makes you feel better.
Did you have any research experience? This is my top school and heard mixed opinions about them looking for students with research.....If anyone has any info about this, that would be awesome!

Did you have any research experience? This is my top school and heard mixed opinions about them looking for students with research.....If anyone has any info about this, that would be awesome!
I interviewed 9/15 (I think that was the date) and haven't heard anything. Same w a friend of mine. Both of us in state and I have research experience (3 poster conferences/presentations, no pubs), I'm sure my friend does too

Reactions: 1 users
JUST GOT THE A CALL!!! Interviewed 9/16

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I was reading through the threads about the SJT, what exactly is that, I don't remember having to do that. Is it required to apply?

I was reading through the threads about the SJT, what exactly is that, I don't remember having to do that. Is it required to apply?

The AAMC's version of Casper. If you took it last year, you don't need to take it again for this cycle(at UAB, not sure about other schools).

Any current students know how many students have to retake classes or repeat years?

Has anyone done an feedback advising session with the UAB adcoms that can give more insight about it?

Has anyone done an feedback advising session with the UAB adcoms that can give more insight about it?

Yeah, I have. The director of admissions was very friendly and helped me identify areas I needed to improve and areas that were fine.

Yeah, I have. The director of admissions was very friendly and helped me identify areas I needed to improve and areas that were fine.
Did they mostly guide and lead you with all of the suggestions, or did you do most of the talking and bringing up questions and such? Thanks!

Did they mostly guide and lead you with all of the suggestions, or did you do most of the talking and bringing up questions and such? Thanks!

He guided the conversation based on notes from my interviewer but also allowed for questions.