2021-2022 Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! I hope all is going well with the application cycle. Does anyone know the average MCAT score specifically for the Primary Care Track?

II! 507, 3.7, regular MD, and IS

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II received last week for primary care track! (517, 3.98, IS). I actually received a rejection, then an II, then an “oops sorry we didn’t mean to reject you” email. Needless to say they have been having some technical issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
II received last week for primary care track! (517, 4.0, IS). I actually received a rejection, then an II, then an “oops sorry we didn’t mean to reject you” email. Needless to say they have been having some technical issues.
omg the way that would've stressed me out. congrats!!

II received last week for primary care track! (517, 3.98, IS). I actually received a rejection, then an II, then an “oops sorry we didn’t mean to reject you” email. Needless to say they have been having some technical issues.
I hope you have a good cardiologist, congratulations.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
II yesterday!! I did a victory lap around the clinic when I got the email, UAB is my top choice. 515 and 3.34, instate. I submitted my secondary on 7/9.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how many minutes their MMI stations are? And any general interviews tips/insights from here would also be much appreciated.

Does anyone know how many minutes their MMI stations are? And any general interviews tips/insights from here would also be much appreciated.
they send info videos about MMIs and 1 on 1 closer to your interview date. But, you get 2 minutes to read the prompt then 6 minutes to talk about it. you have 8 prompt stations + 1 rest station - i think the rest station can be at any point, mine was at the very end :(( All of my interviewers had follow up questions, so you don't need to continuously talk for the full 6 minutes. Be confident in your answer and try to stick with it throughout unless something significantly changes then make sure you thoroughly explain why you had a change of heart. 1 on 1 definitely depends on who you get, mine was more traditional but i have a friend who had a more chill, more conversational interview. but regardless, be confident and be yourself!! i'm not saying UAB does this, but i have heard of some schools that do stress interview, so just try to stay as composed and lively/sociable as much as you can even if your interviewer seems stand-offish or something. just remember that they already like you based off your primary and secondary, they just want to meet you and see your personality!!

also if you have a hype song, definitely blast it before your interview lol. i did this and lowkey it helped

II THIS MORNING LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. This is my absolute dream school. I could literally bawl right now!!!!!.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
they send info videos about MMIs and 1 on 1 closer to your interview date. But, you get 2 minutes to read the prompt then 6 minutes to talk about it. you have 8 prompt stations + 1 rest station - i think the rest station can be at any point, mine was at the very end :(( All of my interviewers had follow up questions, so you don't need to continuously talk for the full 6 minutes. Be confident in your answer and try to stick with it throughout unless something significantly changes then make sure you thoroughly explain why you had a change of heart. 1 on 1 definitely depends on who you get, mine was more traditional but i have a friend who had a more chill, more conversational interview. but regardless, be confident and be yourself!! i'm not saying UAB does this, but i have heard of some schools that do stress interview, so just try to stay as composed and lively/sociable as much as you can even if your interviewer seems stand-offish or something. just remember that they already like you based off your primary and secondary, they just want to meet you and see your personality!!

also if you have a hype song, definitely blast it before your interview lol. i did this and lowkey it helped
Thank you for the info!! That was a lot more information than what I could find on their website! One last question, was the MMI a mix of what would you do type ethical questions, roleplay questions, and normal interview questions or were they all one type of question instead of a mix?

Thank you for the info!! That was a lot more information than what I could find on their website! One last question, was the MMI a mix of what would you do type ethical questions, roleplay questions, and normal interview questions or were they all one type of question instead of a mix?
I did sign a confidentiality statement, so i cant really say much about the contents of the MMI lol - but, I used this ( MMI Interview: The Ultimate Guide (150 Sample Questions Included) — Shemmassian Academic Consulting ) to prep and it was MORE than enough. like I only looked at about 20-30 questions and I felt much better about my MMI than my 1 on 1 after interviewing

Any OOS heard back recently? I was complete mid July but only finished SJT recently lol

University of Alabama at Birmingham: Medical Scientist (MD-PhD) Training Program​

Anyone else receive this email lol? I do have a lot of publications but did not apply MD-PhD and OOS with no connections to Alabama.

Congrats to all the ED applicants who receive calls tonight and tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 user
got the call this morning while i was volunteering at the hospital, was absolutely very embarrassingly ugly crying in the middle of the hallway. literally still cant believe it!! I was ED so I'm done! I wish everyone the best of luck with the rest of their app cycle!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
any more news for MSTP applicants? getting antsy because I was complete August 1 and this is one of my top choices

Do yall think september interview people will get decisions on friday?
There's no way to be certain, but if I'm not mistaken the first RD interviews were at the end of August, so I think they would include at least early September if not all of September at their ADCOM meeting this Thursday, since a good number of August and September interviewees were ED and thus fewer applicants to go through from every date.

I'm late to the party but I got an II last Tuesday 10/5! OOS, URM, 504 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, and complete around 8/14

• Love
I'm late to the party but I got an II last Tuesday 10/5! OOS, URM, 504 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, and complete around 8/14
Can I ask if you published or did any research? I'm kinda in the same boat and I've been told that this school looks more at applicants that have had some form of activity in research.

Received my II back in 9/1, completed in very early Aug. OOS but have some ties. Anybody got that acceptance call/email today yet?

+1 aahh it's so stressful X(
by the way in case anyone missed it they posted on their twitter that all august and september + a few october interviewees have been reviewed. Here's hoping we get some good news today!!!!!

I GOT THE CALL THIS MORNING

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
No more A's today I guess :( wonder when the next acceptances will go out? Will we have to wait till October 28 the next adcom meeting?

No more A's today I guess :( wonder when the next acceptances will go out? Will we have to wait till October 28 the next adcom meeting?
Most likely I’m thinking…..and the indefinite waiting game begins

• Care
Can I ask if you published or did any research? I'm kinda in the same boat and I've been told that this school looks more at applicants that have had some form of activity in research.
Yes I did research in undergrad but did not have a publication

Got the A 2 days ago! Relatively low stat applicant, but good ECs. Feel free to PM.

• Love
anyone hear about UAB sending out pre-II rejections recently?

Last edited:
II this morning!!! So excited, definitely my top choice. IS ORM 516/3.84, complete on 9/4 because of late committee letter

• Love
II. 505, OOS, weak ties, primary track, and 3.79 overall. Complete 9/2 V excited :)
edit: URM as well

• Love
Got a R early August and just received a letter packet in the mail thanking me for my interest in UAB with SOM stickers and gifts had to double check that I had actually been rejected. Anyone else get this and know why lol?

• Haha