2021-2022 Arizona, Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They sent out about 40 IIs this week and only 2 were in state lol what a joke
Fear not there are still about 311 II left, is early on the game.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
More than half of my interview day was IS people.
The majority on the spreadsheet tracker have been OOS (7 out of 22 IS), although some OOS claim ties.
E: According to their website, less than 1/3 of interviewees thus far have been from Arizona, as of yesterday.
Fear not there are still about 311 II left, is early on the game.
Where do you get that number? MSAR says they don't even interview 400 applicants per year.

Reactions: 1 users
The majority on the spreadsheet tracker have been OOS (7 out of 22 IS), although some OOS claim ties.
E: According to their website, less than 1/3 of interviewees thus far have been from Arizona, as of yesterday.

Where do you get that number? MSAR says they don't even interview 400 applicants per year.
They get it from here I think:
MD Admissions | The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix

But if you recognize how many IS apps they have vs OOS it makes sense. Right now 7.7% of IS apps got an II vs 2.6% OOS.

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 5.37.40 PM.png

Last Cycle data.... MSAR is not always the most accurate.

As far as OOS interviews go, keep in mind that they can allocate a maximum of 50 seats to OOS, and in practice typically allocate slightly fewer. Top students from top institutions in California and elsewhere may be well-represented in the current interview pool, but if the ratio does not shift in favor of IS soon, you may expect the post-interview acceptance rate to be very low for OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
As far as OOS interviews go, keep in mind that they can allocate a maximum of 50 seats to OOS, and in practice typically allocate slightly fewer. Top students from top institutions in California and elsewhere may be well-represented in the current interview pool, but if the ratio does not shift in favor of IS soon, you may expect the post-interview acceptance rate to be very low for OOS.
Also Phoenix is mid-tier at best for those who care too much about rankings etc. So the top OOS students are likely to get multiple "A"s and go elsewhere.

missed the 30 day secondary deadline (didn't even know it was a thing). should i even bother submitting?

They love california applicants more than Arizona applicants apparently:(
I think it's a trend for them to start inviting OOS candidates early and then transition toward inviting more IS candidates later on. Based on MSAR, it seems like IS candidates have a higher acceptance rate anyways :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who was invited for interview in the 9/20 or 10/4 update comment on when they were marked complete? I'm eagerly hoping for an II, complete 8/9, and haven't hear a peep :/ Thanks, best of luck to everyone!

Do we think there will be admission decisions on Friday?
Interviewed quite early in the cycle and they did mention releasing decisions on 10/15 (unless any unexpected delay happens)!

Good luck today everyone!

Anyone know when calls would go out??
I know it's an individual call from Dr. Fogerty and he does all of them. It is still 7:10am in PHX rn, but I don't know when they start. I do know that Dr. Fogerty said it does take him late into the night to get all the calls out and to be patient...

Got the call just now, ACCEPTED and could not believe my ears :")

Interviewed early August.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
10AM east coast time! he said he was trying his best to start on the east and move west

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone accepted! I have an interview coming up here, can people who attended speak to what the mask usage by both faculty and applicants was like during their interview day?

Congrats to everyone accepted! I have an interview coming up here, can people who attended speak to what the mask usage by both faculty and applicants was like during their interview day?
Things were pretty bad in terms of COVID in AZ during my interview day (their 2nd interview day), so masks were STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. I know that the 1st interview day they were optional and students were told to do what they felt comfortable with.

Legally it is not mandated, but if the med school you are interviewing at encourages you to where a mask... you probably should.

Last edited:
The AZ governor banned state institutions from requiring masks (don't get me started...) so I believe that masks are strongly recommended, but not technically mandatory.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I know it's an individual call from Dr. Fogerty and he does all of them. It is still 7:10am in PHX rn, but I don't know when they start. I do know that Dr. Fogerty said it does take him late into the night to get all the calls out and to be patient...
Did he say during your interview that the calls happen all day?

Just got the call @11:40 AM! So so excited and Dr. Fogerty is so incredibly nice. IS and Interviewed 8/16.

• Love
I interviewed 8/16 too, nervously waiting haha
I interviewed later in September but same! Just hoping I don’t get an email from them today…

I’m a little scared since I’m on the East coast and it was mentioned earlier Dr. Fogerty is trying to go East to West.

I interviewed later in September but same! Just hoping I don’t get an email from them today…

I’m a little scared since I’m on the East coast and it was mentioned earlier Dr. Fogerty is trying to go East to West.
Yea but a lot of the people getting the call seem to be CA applicants here, and typically ones who interviewed early on

Got a call around 1pm CST! CA applicant! Interviewed on 8/30.

Welp I guess that means I won't get my call today. Interviewed 8/16

Got a call around 7 am in Arizona time. Dr. Fogerty is certainly very diligent!!

Waitlisted just now. Via email

No mention of waitlist, but the email said I am still being considered for admission and the next date decisions will be sent out is Nov 1.

No mention of waitlist, but the email said I am still being considered for admission and the next date decisions will be sent out is Nov 1.
Yeah. Same. I think that’s their equivalent of a waitlist

I was deferred too :(

Basically the way they described it is that it’s a post-II hold essentially, but a real one that they will continue to consider throughout the cycle.

Got the acceptance call on Friday around noon! CA applicant and interviewed 9/27 :)

• Love