2020-2021 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y’all are giving me the TEA in this forum lol ☕️☕️☕️ but yeah anyway, I highly advise against going to the Caribbean at all costs. I’ve personally know at least 2 people who are going through the process and they’ve literally been in med school for like 6 years min. Their journey is honestly so crazy and unbelievable. Honestly, literal props to them, but I would’ve given up if I were in their shoes (literally half their class dropped out so yeah lol). I also vowed to never go that route and so glad I did since I got into my second choice DO school this cycle.

TLDR: The Caribbean is THE WORST medical school decision you could possibly go through with. Period. If you have the passion and capability to become a physician in the US, you should try to do it through the USMD and/or DO systems. Good luck y’all!!!
Congrats on your DO acceptance. Whjle I have submitted my deposit for pod school I'm still holding on to some hope that some DO school would show me a bit of love given my experiences lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on your DO acceptance. Whjle I have submitted my deposit for pod school I'm still holding on to some hope that some DO school would show me a bit of love given my experiences lol
I'm praying you get in man. Are you waitlisted anywhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow this chat is getting personal lol. But I am stepping in to say that whatever is for you will happen regardless of the odds against you. I pray that everyone gets into their top choice for medical school but trust that God will place you where you need to be 😊🙏🏾

Reactions: 9 users
Wow this chat is getting personal lol. But I am stepping in to say that whatever is for you will happen regardless of the odds against you. I pray that everyone gets into their top choice for medical school but trust that God will place you where you need to be 😊🙏🏾
Haha definitely went off topic a bit

does anyone think that they might send any II at this point ?

Please people, don't ever consider going to the Caribbean for medical school. They pray on desperate pre-meds who have had unsuccessful cycles. There are just too many disadvantages that stacked against you if you go to one (step 1 being p/f, high attrition rate, low match rate, mountains of loans thrust upon with no guarantee of paying back with a decent salary etc). This is why patience is a virtue (instant gratification does not go with success).
Well attrition rates are high because of the obvious. Going to a us school doesn’t guarantee a match and one still gets loans. I feel like y’all say a lot about carribean schools for someone who hasn’t gone the the process. It’s funny you say patience but how long do you wait for a us school. How much longer do you donate to AAMC for a us school just to reject you. There have been success stories as well. SDN is really a cruel place 😂

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Amen 🙏🏾 And that’s whether it’s US MD/DO or IMG. God works either way.

Well attrition rates are high because of the obvious. Going to a us school doesn’t guarantee a match and one still gets loans. I feel like y’all say a lot about carribean schools for someone who hasn’t gone the the process. It’s funny you say patience but how long do you wait for a us school. How much longer do you donate to AAMC for a us school just to reject you. There have been success stories as well. SDN is really a cruel place 😂
I mean St George's University's accreditation is currently on thin ice, and if they don't find a way out of this mess then their students won't be able to sit for USMLE. That should be enough of a red flag. Med school loans outweigh AAMC bills exponentially.

Reactions: 4 users
I mean St George's University's accreditation is currently on thin ice, and if they don't find a way out of this mess then their students won't be able to sit for USMLE. That should be enough of a red flag. Med school loans outweigh AAMC bills exponentially.
Lol how is it on thin ice. It’s literally just expiring and it’s getting renewed like every other medical school. I feel like y’all just think US is better well it’s the same material if not people won’t be matching. People don’t go carribean or IMG as a first choice especially if they want to practice in the US. The process isn’t cheap and it adds up. Just for rejections. People like to cling to the negativity without even knowing the whole story. They accept people who don’t have the best stats. But it boils down to the work ethic of the individual. Caribbean isn’t the worst path. It’s a path that can lead to that MD simple.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not going to lie, if I was single without kids I would've taken a risk with the Caribbean since my end goal is IM or FM.

I literally have multiple family members going through it. So how can you say we don’t know the process? So don’t speak on someone else’s knowledge about the process. Dont be mad because this isn’t the best route but you’re doing it to prevent take gap years

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol how is it on thin ice. It’s literally just expiring and it’s getting renewed like every other medical school. I feel like y’all just think US is better well it’s the same material if not people won’t be matching. People don’t go carribean or IMG as a first choice especially if they want to practice in the US. The process isn’t cheap and it adds up. Just for rejections. People like to cling to the negativity without even knowing the whole story. They accept people who don’t have the best stats. But it boils down to the work ethic of the individual. Caribbean isn’t the worst path. It’s a path that can lead to that MD simple.
The fact that multiple people are here telling you the same thing but you’re degrading what we say is ridiculous. But as we all said, good luck on your process.

And this thread isn’t to promote Caribbean schools, you can do that in another thread. This is solely for Howard and information on this cycle for them. So let’s stick to that. I’m tired of this back and forth bickering that leads nowhere tbh

• Dislike
Reactions: 12 users
I literally have multiple family members going through it. So how can you say we don’t know the process? So don’t speak on someone else’s knowledge about the process. Dont be mad because this isn’t the best route but you’re doing it to prevent take gap years
It’s still someone else’s experience not yours. And honey I’m not mad. I’m happy with the decision I’m making. I’ve already taken a few gap years. See you at match 2025 :)

And this thread isn’t to promote Caribbean schools, you can do that in another thread. This is solely for Howard and information on this cycle for them. So let’s stick to that. I’m tired of this back and forth bickering that leads nowhere tbh
The thread isn’t to bring down Caribbean and I already stated that previously. I didn’t start this. All I said is I’m going Caribbean then you came with ur negativity. So I will be that positivity someone might need because there will be people reading this and they shouldn’t shy away from their dreams no matter the route they take. Well if you’re tried you can simply not respond 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
I'm going to ask that members keep the thread on topic, for application and discussion of Howard University.
There are other threads for debate about US-vs-Offshore medical schools.
Wysdoc

Reactions: 17 users
The thread isn’t to bring down Caribbean and I already stated that previously. I didn’t start this. All I said is I’m going Caribbean then you came with ur negativity. So I will be that positivity someone might need because there will be people reading this and they shouldn’t shy away from their dreams no matter the route they take. Well if you’re tried you can simply not respond 🤷‍♀️
ppl are cruel and mean. Don’t pay attention to them haha. make the most of your med school journey and keep staying positive!! that’s how you stay successful! I’m sure we all know in this thread that there isn’t one way to accomplish your dreams🙄 so kudos to you for doing what you feel is best for you! I can’t wait to see you as a future physician and colleague in a couple of years!

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
ppl are cruel and mean. Don’t pay attention to them haha. make the most of your med school journey and keep staying positive!! that’s how you stay successful! I’m sure we all know in this thread that there isn’t one way to accomplish your dreams🙄 so kudos to you for doing what you feel is best for you! I can’t wait to see you as a future physician and colleague in a couple of years!
It’s not about being cruel or mean. It’s about being realistic and just stating truth. I’ve said multiple times to that person that I wish them the best in their route to MD. Can we just return to the purpose of this thread please?

Going to a US school doesn’t guarantee a match lol. The Caribbean stigma is so played out. It’s definitely not an easier route.
I’ve seen many success stories of IMG. It will work out in my favor by the grace of God.
Thank you and I hope it works in your favor as well!!
I don’t want to beat a dead horse, because you seem set in your decision, but for anyone else reading this..the stigma isn’t played out. People are focusing on the match which is cool and all because I’m pretty sure that stat is that 40% of US IMGs don’t match (?). However, that statistic only takes into account the students that MADE it to the point of have the opportunity to match. Those schools have significantly poor attrition rates. They actively try to make things hard for you and fail you. And NOW that STEP 1 will be made P/F, we don’t know what a P/F match looks like at this point in time. You are more likely to waste more years going the Caribbean route than taking another gap year and applying MD/DO.

Reactions: 5 users
I don’t want to beat a dead horse, because you seem set in your decision, but for anyone else reading this..the stigma isn’t played out. People are focusing on the match which is cool and all because I’m pretty sure that stat is that 40% of US IMGs don’t match (?). However, that statistic only takes into account the students that MADE it to the point of have the opportunity to match. Those schools have significantly poor attrition rates. They actively try to make things hard for you and fail you. And NOW that STEP 1 will be made P/F, we don’t know what a P/F match looks like at this point in time. You are more likely to waste more years going the Caribbean route than taking another gap year and applying MD/DO.
kay then to anyone reading this I’ll bring the other side. why isn’t that same energy put toward US Med schools. And since it’s P/F that will also affect low tier schools like Howard and US DO which also still has a stigma around it as well. These schools accept students with low stats so it’s a given that they will have high attrition rates. If it was so easy then wouldn’t the attrition rate be lower? I advice people to do their research and if you’re like me who is non traditional, has done the work but you’re missing one thing for that acceptance to a US Medical school then I don’t see why delay your journey. Let them make the choice while having the full picture. Okay I’m done here and I apologize for starting off the purpose of this thread.

kay then to anyone reading this I’ll bring the other side. why isn’t that same energy put toward US Med schools. And since it’s P/F that will also affect low tier schools like Howard and US DO which also still has a stigma around it as well. These schools accept students with low stats so it’s a given that they will have high attrition rates. If it was so easy then wouldn’t the attrition rate be lower? I advice people to do their research and if you’re like me who is non traditional, has done the work but you’re missing one thing for that acceptance to a US Medical school then I don’t see why delay your journey. Let them make the choice while having the full picture. Okay I’m done here and I apologize for starting off the purpose of this thread.
The same energy is always given towards US MD/DO schools actually, especially in concerns of STEP1 going pass/fail. People do speculate on how P/F will affect students in low tier med schools. But students in those schools are still matching well, especially the HBCU-educated med students where they seems to sometimes be a residency stigma against them right now. (Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse all have match rates of at least 95% match rate despite this fact.)

A 89-92% match rate is leagues away from a 50-61% match rate. And US MD/DO schools will heavily support you and don’t actively push for your failure. The same can’t be said for most Caribbean schools. Low attrition rates cannot be excused with the fact that they accepted low stat applicants. HBCUs like to take a chance on low-stat students as well, but still push for their success. Should that not read to you how much of a money-grab many Carib med schools are if they aren't doing the work to support the students that they promoted themselves as giving a second chance to? Overall, there really isn’t “two sides” to this.

But I wish you well on your journey.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Sorry if this has been asked before, does anyone know when's the last day of IIs?

dang HU, why you not showing me any love? I know they interview until early April but it's dang near April!

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I am wondering if this is the last week they will be sending out IIs since the last dates for interviews are 3/30, 4/6, and 4/7 :unsure:

P.S. there may be more dates after this because it seems like HU only gives you 3 interview dates to choose from once you receive an II. Obviously since it is so late in the cycle, this may mean there are only 1-2 left after the 4/7 interview date.

I am wondering if this is the last week they will be sending out IIs since the last dates for interviews are 3/30, 4/6, and 4/7 :unsure:

P.S. there may be more dates after this because it seems like HU only gives you 3 interview dates to choose from once you receive an II. Obviously since it is so late in the cycle, this may mean there are only 1-2 left after the 4/7 interview date.
I think 4/07 is the last date. Wasn't there like 30 II slots left to fill according to ADCOM at the last first Friday (3/12). The 3/30, 4/6, and 4/7 interview dates (10 slots per day) would probably give you those 30 slots. The post below was three days after the last first Friday. It was posted on Monday (3/15). All speculation but makes sense to me.

Just received my first interview invite of the cycle! 😭 These are the dates that are still available:

INTERVIEW DATES AVAILABLE:

Interview date (#1) 03/30/21 (1 more slot)
Interview date (#2) 04/06/21 (10 more slots)
Interview date (#3) 04/07/21 (10 more slots)

Reactions: 1 user
I think 4/07 is the last date. Wasn't there like 30 II slots left to fill according to ADCOM at the last first Friday (3/12). The 3/30, 4/6, and 4/7 interview dates (10 slots per day) would probably give you those 30 slots. The post below was three days after the last first Friday. It was posted on Monday (3/15). All speculation but makes sense to me.
Oh man. I’m trying to stay hopeful

I received my pre II rejection today. Good luck to everybody. Hope I have luck with the next cycle

• Care
  • Sad
I received my pre II rejection today. Good luck to everybody. Hope I have luck with the next cycle
Sorry to hear that. I wish you the best in the next cycle.
At what time they send you the rejection letter?

When are they sending out the rejection? I need some closure lol

Any complete in mid October hear back yet? Either pre II R or a recent II?

• Hmm
That’s what I want to know because is there a stigma in Caribbean and not on European? If so then that’s a form of racism.
It is not a form of racism. The Caribbean medical schools are American OWNED and mostly run by white people. Don’t let the Caribbean fool you. Ross, SGU, Saba, AUC, and AUA are not run by actual Caribbean born people. Some students will tell you that they experience racism at actual Caribbean schools. In fact, a group of students I know wrote letters to the president regarding a students racists posts on social media...it gets deep.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
It is not a form of racism. The Caribbean medical schools are American OWNED and mostly run by white people. Don’t let the Caribbean fool you. Ross, SGU, Saba, AUC, and AUA are not run by actual Caribbean born people. Some students will tell you that they experience racism at actual Caribbean schools. In fact, a group of students I know wrote letters to the president regarding a students racists posts on social media...it gets deep.
Yea imo, based on people I’ve talked to there, Carib schools just seem like a huge money grab. Medical schools being for-profit is a huge red flag

Who is still waiting for II like me? The FB page has 109 (108 + 1 admin). So there is ~ 11 spots left I guess!!

Honestly, at this point does it hurt to send an additional update letter if we haven't had a II?

Honestly, at this point does it hurt to send an additional update letter if we haven't had a II?
Based on the several first Friday I attended, they don't really want a letter of intent but only want something significant.

Who is still waiting for II like me? The FB page has 109 (108 + 1 admin). So there is ~ 11 spots left I guess!!
In the group from last year (Class of 2024) they have 170 members and the class isn’t nearly that big so I would take that number with a grain of salt lol.

Reactions: 4 users