2020-2021 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To my knowledge, you don't have to commit to enroll until the specific deadline that the school has for committing (IDK what that is for Howard). You DO have to plan to enroll by April 30th.
I am confused about their policy.. they said to pay the enrollment fee once you commit to enroll but no later than April 30.

Members don't see this ad.

I am confused about their policy.. they said to pay the enrollment fee once you commit to enroll but no later than April 30.
So it seems that their commit to enroll deadline is the 30th? I have an A but it's not Howard and they haven't given me a deadline to commit yet. I'm still hoping for an II from Howard lol

Reactions: 3 users
Just coming to give some hope. Last week hoard at 111 on their Facebook and it’s been fluctuating but now at 104. So I think WL will probably start soon IF they are done with interviews

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we have to add it to cyms tool? How about if we are on the waitlist of other schools?
It’s just plan to enroll right now but the tricky part is when you have to commit to enroll on April 30. I don’t know how that bit works either (I’m on a few waitlists too)

It’s just plan to enroll right now but the tricky part is when you have to commit to enroll on April 30. I don’t know how that bit works either (I’m on a few waitlists too)
Their wording is very confusing... on one hand, they said to follow the cyms protocol and to add commit to enroll from May 1st to June 12th. Meanwhile they say to pay the fee once commit to enroll by April 30th... so I'm not sure which way it should be..

You don’t have to commit to enroll by April 30. You just have to narrow it down to one school and have that selected as plan to enroll. And you can stay on waitlists for other schools. You have to commit to enroll according to the school specific protocols, ex: 30 days before the start of orientation. Once you do that, you have to also give up your WL spots

To my knowledge, you don't have to commit to enroll until the specific deadline that the school has for committing (IDK what that is for Howard). You DO have to plan to enroll by April 30th.
Yes this person has it correct

Out of curiousity, do you (or anyone else) know when's Howard's Commit to Enroll deadline?
Yes they sent it to me yesterday via email, lemme check

Edit: 30 days prior to orientation

Last edited:
the last sentence all underlined

Attachments

• 9E917400-2865-440E-B97A-4CA79C70E5E2.png
    9E917400-2865-440E-B97A-4CA79C70E5E2.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 199
You don’t have to commit to enroll by April 30. You just have to narrow it down to one school and have that selected as plan to enroll. And you can stay on waitlists for other schools. You have to commit to enroll according to the school specific protocols, ex: 30 days before the start of orientation. Once you do that, you have to also give up your WL spots
I truly understand that.. but in their first email they sent it says ' April 30th is the deadline to pay the $300 enrollment fees once you commit to enroll with us' does this mean it is required to commit to enroll and pay the fees by April 30th?

Members don't see this ad :)
I truly understand that.. but in their first email they sent it says ' April 30th is the deadline to pay the $300 enrollment fees once you commit to enroll with us' does this mean it is required to commit to enroll and pay the fees by April 30th?
Interesting question....I’m glad you caught that. Let me investigate more.

Edit: can you send a screenshot of the email you’re referring to?

It looks like you’re right. But that kinda contradictory. They’re saying we can wait to commit to enroll no later than 30 days before orientation, yet the enrollment fee is due April 30, and I’m assuming that if we pay that fee, we are committing to the school which could mess things up for other schools we are waiting to hear from 🤔

Attachments

• D33D8AE0-B16C-4DCD-8EA8-AA991B167CE1.jpeg
    D33D8AE0-B16C-4DCD-8EA8-AA991B167CE1.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

It looks like you’re right. But that kinda contradictory. They’re saying we can wait to commit to enroll no later than 30 days before orientation, yet the enrollment fee is due April 30, and I’m assuming that if we pay that fee, we are committing to the school which could mess things up for other schools we are waiting to hear from 🤔
Exactly!! Meanwhile their protocol document says to commit to enroll between May 1st- June 12th.

Exactly!! Meanwhile their protocol document says to commit to enroll between May 1st- June 12th.
I feel like that just means that that’s when the commit to enroll option becomes available and you can use it anytime within that date range. But I’m gonna email to clarify the part about the fee bc that doesn’t seem quite fair.

I feel like that just means that that’s when the commit to enroll option becomes available and you can use it anytime within that date range. But I’m gonna email to clarify the part about the fee bc that doesn’t seem quite fair.
Please do and let me know what they say.

Thanks for clarifying on CTE vs. PTE.

In the emails, they kept hammering in that the $300 deposit was due Apr 30, but i'm not sure if that's regardless of "committing to enroll". Most waitlist movement will happen post-April 30 so i think that would suck to have to pay that non-refundable deposit, and then get in somewhere else and not get that back.

Let us know as soon as they respond :)

If I haven't received an II, I can assume I will not get one, yes ?

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Pre-II R! I’m appreciative of the notification. Best of luck to you all in your journey!

Reactions: 5 users
Placed in the alternate waitlist (which is ranked) today. o.o And the attachment contained the decision! 512 MCAT, interviewed on 4/6. :)

The email:
This e-mail is being sent on behalf of Dr. David Rose, Associate Dean of Admissions and Student Affairs.

Good Afternoon [REDACTED],

We hope this e-mail finds you safe and in good health during this pandemic. Thank you for your understanding and patience as the Admissions Committee works tirelessly to shape the Class of 2025, and for your strong consideration and interest in Howard University College of Medicine.

I am writing to inform you that the Admissions Committee has reviewed your application for admission to the 2021 entering class of the College of Medicine. Please review the attached documents regarding your Doctor of Medicine application to the College of Medicine at Howard University.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns by phone at 202-806-9479 or via e-mail at [email protected]. Thank you for your continued interest in Howard University College of Medicine and for your attention to this decision status letter. We look forward to your response!

Sharmon Jones
Admissions Officer
Howard University College of Medicine
And the attachment (from Dean Rose):
The Howard University College of Medicine Admission Committee has reviewed your application. Your name has been placed on the “Alternate Wait List”. Applicants on the Alternate Wait List will be ranked by the Admissions Committee. Typically, priority to fill seats begins in Spring 2021, as they become available. Rank order of the Alternate Wait List is confidentia

Please feel free to provide us via e-mail any updates regarding your file since the initial application and interview (i.e., updated grades for summer 2020, fall 2020, spring 2021 coursework, or relevant (health/research/shadowing) experiences, etc.

You could be notified between Monday, January 4 and Friday July 2, 2021 of the committee’s decision regarding your application. Please be advised that ALL pre-requisite coursework and admission requirements must be met for full admission consideration.

In fairness to other students who may be on the Alternate Waiting List, please notify us in writing if for any reason you are no longer interested in being considered for admission for the fall semester of 2021. Thank you for your continued interest in Howard University’s College of Medicine.

Last edited:
  • Care
No II or Rejection so far. I am exhausted lol (508) (3.75/3.76) completed August 27, 2020. I am depressed lol

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
yeah

+1, maybe we should send letters of update/intent? I’m still preparing to reapply though
Yeah maybe, I sent a letter of update in March and even though I do have something substantial I could send them, I'm not sure how many letter of updates they'll take before they get annoyed, haha. Like maybe it's just better to include that update in my reapplication?

I wonder if they'll give feedback to a rejected applicant's app?

Did you hear anything back?

Reactions: 2 users
Any chances of still getting a II at this point? 😭

Reactions: 12 users
Withdrew my A! Good luck to those on the WL!

Reactions: 7 users
Hum can i get my rejection? I paid for it...

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
bro....can i have my rejection. this is so sad. im waiting for 3 skewls to say no, and they def should just send the mass email. we all know its coming. its like just to mess with our heads.

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
2020-2021 Cycle: G H O S T E D

Reactions: 22 users
What is PARP?
It's a six week mandatory introductory program to their medical school for a select group of disadvantaged students. It helps with getting used to studying for medical school, tutoring services, group activities, etc. Most people are successful and do very well with this extra prep.

It's a six week mandatory introductory program to their medical school for a select group of disadvantaged students. It helps with getting used to studying for medical school, tutoring services, group activities, etc. Most people are successful and do very well with this extra prep.
Not doing PARP but honestly sounds awesome. Having been out of college for a year I'm nervous to jump back into studying with a monumentally larger workload

Does anyone know where I can find the match list for Howard?

It’s been such a hard decision but I withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
So, are there still any chances of receiving an interview invite? I know the Facebook group only has 108/123 members and I know some people are gonna be picked off the waitlists. So are new interview invites still gonna be sent out?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So, are there still any chances of receiving an interview invite? I know the Facebook group only has 108/123 members and I know some people are gonna be picked off the waitlists. So are new interview invites still gonna be sent out?
There could be a very slim chance, but I would make sure to reapply at this point in the cycle. The waitlist is approx. 100-125 people so they’d have to exhaust that list first

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday!

Reactions: 11 users
Received my acceptance this afternoon. :oops: (3:49 PM EST). I was previously placed on the Alternate List 16 April (my original interview was 6 April). My stats are a 512 MCAT, 3.0 grad GPA, 3.5 undergrad GPA. Howard is my dream school so I feel so blessed to finally have a place to call home. :'(

Reactions: 20 users