2021-2022 Illinois

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does having a family member connected with UIC significantly help with OOS admissions? I'm deciding whether or not to apply..the more I read, the more I like this school tbh
Not sure how much it impacts their decision, but the secondary does ask legacy questions including if you have a relative affiliated with the U of I system.
 
II! OOS with no ties to Illinois. 4th quartile Casper. I believe some schools look beyond stats and this is one of those schools

I just want to say I think this is a medical school that looks fondly at applicants who reinvent themselves. I'm a non-traditional career changer that's been working hard to improve my app these past couple of years. I'm extremely thankful for this interview and wish you guys the best!

Complete date is 8/11. I did not submit my ACT and SAT score because I would have had to pay extra to receive them because my scores are to old too access online. Haha. Also it could have taken out to a month to receive them!! I completed Duet, Snapshot and Casper.
 
Last edited:
II! OOS with no ties to Illinois. 4th quartile Casper. I believe some schools look beyond stats and this is one of those schools

I just want to say I think this is a medical school that looks fondly at applicants who reinvent themselves. I'm a non-traditional career changer that's been working hard to improve my app these past couple of years. I'm extremely thankful for this interview and wish you guys the best!

Complete date is 8/11. I did not submit my ACT and SAT score because I would have had to pay extra to receive them because my scores are to old to access online. Also it could have taken out to a month to receive them!! I completed Duet, Snapshot and Casper.
congrats! Did u just get it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II! OOS with no ties to Illinois. 4th quartile Casper. I believe some schools look beyond stats and this is one of those schools

I just want to say I think this is a medical school that looks fondly at applicants who reinvent themselves. I'm a non-traditional career changer that's been working hard to improve my app these past couple of years. I'm extremely thankful for this interview and wish you guys the best!

Complete date is 8/11. I did not submit my ACT and SAT score because I would have had to pay extra to receive them because my scores are to old too access online. Haha. Also it could have taken out to a month to receive them!! I completed Duet, Snapshot and Casper.
Similar story to you, but IS and alum of the U of I system and couldn’t agree more about their philosophy! Wishing you the best!
 
Hey guys, did you write your "area of interest" questions with references to specific UIC programs, or did you just answer the questions without any reference to UIC programs? I'm confused by the lack of word count limits and don't want to go too far LOL
 
Hey guys, did you write your "area of interest" questions with references to specific UIC programs, or did you just answer the questions without any reference to UIC programs? I'm confused by the lack of word count limits and don't want to go too far LOL
Did not reference programs considering I completed this secondary in June and had no knowledge of the programs.
 
I was just emailed that I’m complete but I haven’t completed Snapshot yet, has this happened to anyone else? Not sure why I was marked complete, but I guess I have some time to get it done because I’m officially in the queue now
 
Congratulations..
Still waiting for II. Completed on 7/9, 3.9/515/3rd quartile/IS. Should I be worried?
You should definitely be fine with those stats, keep holding on! A bit of anecdotal evidence here and I may be somehow doxxing myself lol, but close to 90% of my interview group was from Cali (including myself), so I feel like they definitely go in batches (by region in some cases) with OOS first for IIs.

edit: said IS instead of OOS lmao oops
 
Last edited:
To add to the above comment: I read through last year's thread and it seems that UICOM delays IS interviews to much later in the cycle and does OOS/OOR ones first. n = 1 but I'm OOS and have an interview scheduled for soon
 
Has anyone interviewed yet? I was wondering how intense the MMI questions were and what resources you possibly used to practice for it? I have my interview on Wednesday
Interviewed last week, didn't prepare at all lol. All of the faculty and the dean were super approachable and kind and made it clear that the interview wasn't meant to be stressful but just to provide an opportunity to be yourself in front of them. The MMI questions were for the most part pretty typical, they were basically scoping out how well you would be able to handle medical school.
1-2 questions came out of left field in terms of subject matter (some topics I was genuinely surprised that would come up in a med school interview lol) but none of them were anything you needed to know any specific healthcare policy/ethical principles for. Only thing I would say is don't spend too long on your initial answer since they have multiple follow-up questions prepared for each 5 minute MMI block. I definitely did this and spent too long on the initial portion multiple times, not sure if it affected my evaluation in any way.
 
Interviewed last week, didn't prepare at all lol. All of the faculty and the dean were super approachable and kind and made it clear that the interview wasn't meant to be stressful but just to provide an opportunity to be yourself in front of them. The MMI questions were for the most part pretty typical, they were basically scoping out how well you would be able to handle medical school.
1-2 questions came out of left field in terms of subject matter (some topics I was genuinely surprised that would come up in a med school interview lol) but none of them were anything you needed to know any specific healthcare policy/ethical principles for. Only thing I would say is don't spend too long on your initial answer since they have multiple follow-up questions prepared for each 5 minute MMI block. I definitely did this and spent too long on the initial portion multiple times, not sure if it affected my evaluation in any way.

How was the one-on-one? Good luck and I'm rooting for an A for you!
 
How was the one-on-one? Good luck and I'm rooting for an A for you!
Thanks so much! The one-on-one (at least with the interviewer I had) actually had a few more MMI-like questions at the beginning (we heard you like MMIs...) but after that was pretty chill and conversational. I don't believe it was closed-file but my guy didn't ask me to expand on anything specific from my app. Mainly just talked about the school's mission, different campuses and how that fits with you, and what to expect as a medical school/healthcare professional. A lot of repetition/crossover with some of the questions from the MMI round tbh. Plenty of time to ask questions too.
 
Thanks so much! The one-on-one (at least with the interviewer I had) actually had a few more MMI-like questions at the beginning (we heard you like MMIs...) but after that was pretty chill and conversational. I don't believe it was closed-file but my guy didn't ask me to expand on anything specific from my app. Mainly just talked about the school's mission, different campuses and how that fits with you, and what to expect as a medical school/healthcare professional. A lot of repetition/crossover with some of the questions from the MMI round tbh. Plenty of time to ask questions too.

Awesome, thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To give hope to some people stressing about not getting an II, UIC is my state school and I was super bummed about not getting an II early. I sent an update mid-October. I ended up getting the UICOM II late January after I had assumed they were rejecting me. Give it time and don't let the stress consume you!
 
Reading all these comments about IS people not getting II yet gives me hope
OOS for Illinois but this is exactly what seems to be happening at my state school (Colorado). On Virginia's thread, it looks like they have a similar thing going on too. I have no idea why, but it seems like a relatively common thing for state schools to do. We'll get the IIs soon, don't worry!
 
Thanks so much! The one-on-one (at least with the interviewer I had) actually had a few more MMI-like questions at the beginning (we heard you like MMIs...) but after that was pretty chill and conversational. I don't believe it was closed-file but my guy didn't ask me to expand on anything specific from my app. Mainly just talked about the school's mission, different campuses and how that fits with you, and what to expect as a medical school/healthcare professional. A lot of repetition/crossover with some of the questions from the MMI round tbh. Plenty of time to ask questions too.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I was wondering how much time do you get to read the question before you start answering for the MMI round?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for sharing your experience! I was wondering how much time do you get to read the question before you start answering for the MMI round?
No problem! They give you about 2 minutes to think about each question with their camera off then about 5 to give your response before you move on to the next round
 
Has anyone here applied early decision? I did and my secondary was complete in early July and have yet to hear about an interview.
 
Has anyone here applied early decision? I did and my secondary was complete in early July and have yet to hear about an interview.
I did not but just curious. What were the requirements of applying early decision? I see that you had to set up a meeting with the dean to see if you're a good candidate but were there any stat cutoffs?
 
I did not but just curious. What were the requirements of applying early decision? I see that you had to set up a meeting with the dean to see if you're a good candidate but were there any stat cutoffs?
No stat cutoffs technically, but in the meeting I told them my GPA and MCAT. Also, the dean did tell me they like to see ED applicants have similar stats to the average stats of the matriculants the year prior.
 
Last edited:
Was anyone sent an invitation to interview for the UIC Post Bacc Program after submitting a secondary? Assuming this is a rejection to their medical program.
 
Did anyone who already interviewed this month send an update letter? I’m not sure If I should try to send one in before the Oct 15th acceptance date
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For this of you who have already interviewed, when did you receive links to the interview? I’m just wondering bc on my portal is the schedule but no links.
 
Great. Thank you!

No problem! Good luck on your interview! Remember to enjoy it. I absolutely loved my interview day at UICOM. To echo what was said in past comments, the faculty are all incredibly understanding and kind, which helped make the interview day much less stressful.

And if you haven’t already (and have the availability), I would recommend attending the student meet-and-greet. It was a great, informal way to talk to current students.
 
No problem! Good luck on your interview! Remember to enjoy it. I absolutely loved my interview day at UICOM. To echo what was said in past comments, the faculty are all incredibly understanding and kind, which helped make the interview day much less stressful.

And if you haven’t already (and have the availability), I would recommend attending the student meet-and-greet. It was a great, informal way to talk to current students.
Thank you! I did yesterday and it was very insightful. 🙂