2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted interviewed 9/15!!! So excited! They really do look past crappy MCAT scores. Will be attending.... Good luck to everyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
What did you do to get off the waitlist? Letter of intent? More experience/volunteering and updates?
It’s hard to say what “got me off” but I sent an update letter (don’t send an update letter unless you actually have updates though), I sent a letter of intent, I always responded to emails ASAP when I got them and I had two people send in additional letters of rec on my behalf! Not sure if any of it mattered but it doesn’t hurt to try!! There’s lots of WL movement beginning early June. Sometimes earlier but for us it was early June last year.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s hard to say what “got me off” but I sent an update letter (don’t send an update letter unless you actually have updates though), I sent a letter of intent, I always responded to emails ASAP when I got them and I had two people send in additional letters of rec on my behalf! Not sure if any of it mattered but it doesn’t hurt to try!! There’s lots of WL movement beginning early June. Sometimes earlier but for us it was early June last year.
Thank you so much!! It never ends 😭

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted :D interviewed 9/22 Congratulations to everyone who got in and the ones that didn't, keep your chin up it is still early in the application.

Are there any Canadians who are current students on this forum ? Need to understand student line of credit

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted :D interviewed 9/22 Congratulations to everyone who got in and the ones that didn't, keep your chin up it is still early in the application.

Are there any Canadians who are current students on this forum ? Need to understand student line of credit
If there’s not you can email admissions or student services and ask if there’s a student ambassador who you could talk to! They’ll give you their email or phone #! Or try an ambassador from your interview day.

Thank you so much!! It never ends 😭
I know!! It sucks so bad getting the WL. I know people will tell you this, and when people told me this last year I rolled my eyes but there trulyyyyyy truly is a ton of WL movement at the end of the school year. We had people joining our class left and right after the first week of June. Don’t lose hope yet! Just stay involved and sadly you’ll just be in the WL pool prob till June :( I feel you I was ready to lose my mind by May last year.

Also Canadian who has a lot of questions

I know!! It sucks so bad getting the WL. I know people will tell you this, and when people told me this last year I rolled my eyes but there trulyyyyyy truly is a ton of WL movement at the end of the school year. We had people joining our class left and right after the first week of June. Don’t lose hope yet! Just stay involved and sadly you’ll just be in the WL pool prob till June :( I feel you I was ready to lose my mind by May last year.
Yesss! Thanks for the encouragement. I was waitlisted at LECOM last year starting February and never got in. August came and I was like I guess I didn’t get in 😂😭 it was torture

I've been getting a few DMs on how grades work at KCU so here's a basic rundown:

We are Honors/Pass/Fail, with only the top 10% of the class getting honors in an organ block. If our class average for any block or class is below 85%, they will average the class up to 85% and apply that curve to everyone's final course grade.

Say you're at 80%, and the class average was 78%. Everyone gets a 7% curve upwards so you would end up with a final course grade of 87%. However we are never curved down if the class scores above 85%, thus every course must have a 85% average for the COM class or higher.

The cutoff for passing is 70%. Even if you "fail" an exam, but retain a 70% or higher in the overall course grade, you will still pass.

Your class rank is based on your overall percentage against your class' average. There are no letter grades assigned to this percentage, only a quartile that you fall into

Reactions: 4 users
I've been getting a few DMs on how grades work at KCU so here's a basic rundown:

We are Honors/Pass/Fail, with only the top 10% of the class getting honors in an organ block. If our class average for any block or class is below 85%, they will average the class up to 85% and apply that curve to everyone's final course grade.

Say you're at 80%, and the class average was 78%. Everyone gets a 7% curve upwards so you would end up with a final course grade of 87%. However we are never curved down if the class scores above 85%, thus every course must have a 85% average for the COM class or higher.

The cutoff for passing is 70%. Even if you "fail" an exam, but retain a 70% or higher in the overall course grade, you will still pass.

Your class rank is based on your overall percentage against your class' average. There are no letter grades assigned to this percentage, only a quartile that you fall into
this seems stressful hahaha, so you're basically always compared to others in your class, is that right? How hard is it to maintain a 70% Does it look bad if you never obtain honours?

this seems stressful hahaha, so you're basically always compared to others in your class, is that right? How hard is it to maintain a 70% Does it look bad if you never obtain honours?
This is actually way less stressful than it used to be when we had actual numerical grades. It is not super difficult to maintain a 70 with the curve

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all. The latest program director survey I looked at for the speciality I'm interested in had "honors in pre-clinical courses" at one of the lowest factors in deciding on which medical students to rank in the match.

That being said class rank does matter somewhat, but not nearly as much as board scores and research.

Also like @indiRanger said, it is not crazy hard to maintain at least a 70, it takes a ton of work yes but if you put in the work you'll be fine.

I also don't feel like the class rank affects how willing my class is to help each other. We had a group of students make Anki decks for us last year and most of us study together.

Not at all. The latest program director survey I looked at for the speciality I'm interested in had "honors in pre-clinical courses" at one of the lowest factors in deciding on which medical students to rank in the match.

That being said class rank does matter somewhat, but not nearly as much as board scores and research.

Also like @indiRanger said, it is not crazy hard to maintain at least a 70, it takes a ton of work yes but if you put in the work you'll be fine.

I also don't feel like the class rank affects how willing my class is to help each other. We had a group of students make Anki decks for us last year and most of us study together.
Thanks for all these tips! I am super excited for my interview this week :)
Appreciate you all hopping on the applicant threads

Any non-Canadian international applicants received an Acceptance so far? I have some questions.........

Hi there! For students who interviewed with KCU, how long did it take to get that workday email from admissions?

II! I really like what I’ve researched from this school.

I just received an email about missing one chemistry credit (12 instead of 13). I took chemical biology as my biochemistry requirement and have 12 additional chemistry credits. Does anyone know if a course can be used to fulfill two pre-requisites?

Thank you so much! Extremely helpful!

Does everyone get put on the pre-II hold, or do they reject people after reviewing their secondary?

Does everyone get put on the pre-II hold, or do they reject people after reviewing their secondary?
I reviewed an interview invite yesterday but earliest is January. I was complete early October .

Congrats! First year Canadian here, PM me

Anyone willing to talk who had interview this cycle? I'm having an interview after 2 days and I need some help please

Anyone willing to talk who had interview this cycle? I'm having an interview after 2 days and I need some help please
I'm willing to talk, but I signed an NDA. So, I can't tell you any more about the interview process than what you've been sent. What type of questions do you have?

• Care
I'm willing to talk, but I signed an NDA. So, I can't tell you any more about the interview process than what you've been sent. What type of questions do you have?
what is the group activity looks like? Do we all need to give presentation on specific topic?

Hello everyone!!! I wanted to know, for those of you that received an interview and already interviewed how did you prepare? Was there a recurrent theme in the questions?

Hello everyone!!! I wanted to know, for those of you that received an interview and already interviewed how did you prepare? Was there a recurrent theme in the questions?
I did a mock interview with my undergrad. I feel that prepared me well.

II earlier today! Complete about two weeks ago. Scheduled for mid-December.

Reactions: 4 users
Can any of the current students recommend some of the various apartments in the area? By chance I'm going to be in the city next week for work and I was going to take a look on the down time

Can any of the current students recommend some of the various apartments in the area? By chance I'm going to be in the city next week for work and I was going to take a look on the down time
River market is a nice plan to live/lots of students live over here.

Reactions: 2 users
If you like being a little outside of the city, check out north KC. I only have a 10-12 minute drive from campus and it's peaceful

Reactions: 3 users
If you like being a little outside of the city, check out north KC. I only have a 10-12 minute drive from campus and it's peaceful
Heyo! Thanks for the insight, Are there any apartment buildings in North KC you could recommend or other places to live ? Would really appreciate any guidance on this :)

Heyo! Thanks for the insight, Are there any apartment buildings in North KC you could recommend or other places to live ? Would really appreciate any guidance on this :)
I know a few people who live at Kinsley Forest and it a nice place, a lot cheaper than living in the city too

I would say, Kinsley Forest, The Denton, and The Landing at Briarcliff are the most popular in North KC within a 15 minute drive to campus!

Does anyone else's workday account say that their Prerequisite Coursework Check is incomplete despite being post-interview?
Yeah mine does! We just have to submit the final transcript by a certain date in spring I think

How does one prepare for the interview for KCU? This is my only II and I like KCU for the location. Aside from Osteopathic Tenets, and KCU's curriculum and program, is there anything I should really prepare for? Also, I don't quite understand the group interview portion..