2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does one prepare for the interview for KCU? This is my only II and I like KCU for the location. Aside from Osteopathic Tenets, and KCU's curriculum and program, is there anything I should really prepare for? Also, I don't quite understand the group interview portion..
And this: "You will have interviews focused on diversity and inclusion questions, critical thinking skills, and responses to ethical scenarios."

Don't overthink the group interview. They just want to see how well we work with others, especially a team of people we don't know.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How does one prepare for the interview for KCU? This is my only II and I like KCU for the location. Aside from Osteopathic Tenets, and KCU's curriculum and program, is there anything I should really prepare for? Also, I don't quite understand the group interview portion..
If you scroll up through earlier posts on this thread, a lot of people have given great advice on how to prepare and what the day would be like. But know that no one can disclose any specifics because of the NDA that we all had to sign. Just to briefly recap what the others have said and from my own experience, have answers to the generic questions (tell me about yourself, why medicine, why DO, why KCU, etc), google some medical ethical questions and practice them, and do mock interviews if you have time.
All I can say about the group session is don't stress about it. I was super worried about it before going into it but it ended up being the most enjoyable part of the whole day. Just relax and be a normal human being and you should be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
And this: "You will have interviews focused on diversity and inclusion questions, critical thinking skills, and responses to ethical scenarios."

Don't overthink the group interview. They just want to see how well we work with others, especially a team of people we don't know.

If you scroll up through earlier posts on this thread, a lot of people have given great advice on how to prepare and what the day would be like. But know that no one can disclose any specifics because of the NDA that we all had to sign. Just to briefly recap what the others have said and from my own experience, have answers to the generic questions (tell me about yourself, why medicine, why DO, why KCU, etc), google some medical ethical questions and practice them, and do mock interviews if you have time.
All I can say about the group session is don't stress about it. I was super worried about it before going into it but it ended up being the most enjoyable part of the whole day. Just relax and be a normal human being and you should be fine.
Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I haven't participated in these threads in awhile, but I'm a current fourth year at KCU who's interviewing for residency right now and wanted to see if I could help out with anything. I'm a bit further removed from the preclinical years so I might not have the most up to date info, but I can try my best to speak on my experience :) Good luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! I haven't participated in these threads in awhile, but I'm a current fourth year at KCU who's interviewing for residency right now and wanted to see if I could help out with anything. I'm a bit further removed from the preclinical years so I might not have the most up to date info, but I can try my best to speak on my experience :) Good luck!!
What is your opinion on the quality of clinical rotations and have they prepared you for residency?

What is your opinion on the quality of clinical rotations and have they prepared you for residency?
So I stayed in KC for rotations and I feel like I got a good experience overall. Some rotations are better than others for sure. I had a couple of rotations throughout M3 with residents and a handful that were more one-on-one with an attending (or me, another student, attending). I see the pros to both: it's good to have some exposure to working with residents so that you can see what it's like/what's expected from you prior to auditions and fourth year, but I'm not a believer that you need to have every single rotation with residents in order to be successful...it's just really not that hard to figure out how things work as long as you have 1 solid residency-based rotation. I felt that my education was actually better on rotations where I worked more one-on-one with attendings (obviously there are exceptions to this, as some attendings quite plainly suck and it's obvious they don't want to actually teach you): I got to be way more hands on, learn directly from them, and form better relationships with them, which is important when it comes to letters of rec. Also, the schedule and work/life balance is a lot better when you're not working with residents all the time. Some people like the hazing process of medicine and the hours worked, but you'll have plenty of time for that in residency, and no amount of doing it in M3 is going to make you more prepared....especially if it's a field you know you're not interested in (like taking 24h call on ob/gyn when you want to do IM, for example). That being said, if you are looking for a more "traditional" experience where you work with residents for everything, the Michigan site is a strong one.

I did a few auditions with residency programs in the start of my fourth year and didn't feel any worse off than other students, who came from schools from all over. I think KCU prepared me as well as anyone can be prepared for residency.

Thanks for this post and taking the time! I recently got accepted to KCU and am strongly considering attending! Say I wanted to do my rotations in Michigan site, do I get to stay there for all my core and elective rotations?

Also, I am a bit confused on how the timeline of applying to residencies aligns with auditions/elective rotations in M4. So how do residency programs 'rank' you while you're auditioning and doing rotations after you've submitted ERAS?

Thanks for this post and taking the time! I recently got accepted to KCU and am strongly considering attending! Say I wanted to do my rotations in Michigan site, do I get to stay there for all my core and elective rotations?

Also, I am a bit confused on how the timeline of applying to residencies aligns with auditions/elective rotations in M4. So how do residency programs 'rank' you while you're auditioning and doing rotations after you've submitted ERAS?
You would definitely get to be there for all of M3, then I'm not 100% sure how the site handles fourth year but I believe you would be able to stay for electives and stuff that year too!

Rank lists are not due until February. A very general timeline is that ERAS opens up around June or July when you're starting your M4 year. You will likely take Step 2/Level 2 around then as well as you are given a month off to study in June between your last rotation of M3 and the start of M4. ERAS submission date is typically end of September, so you'll have time to fill out the application and gather things like your board scores, transcripts, letters of rec to submit. Most people will do auditions from the beginning of M4 (so typically July) throughout December, with the target being July-October so you can rotate there before apps go out. Then from October-January you'll get invitations to interview at programs. Come February, you'll submit your rank list of all the programs you interviewed at, and each program will submit their rank list of applicants they interviewed. Then March is match day! So basically since rank lists aren't due until February, you can do an audition up until that point if you want to get one-on-one exposure to a program, but ideal time is July-October so that you can convince them to give you an interview if you perform well!

*caveat here being that advice on auditions etc. is dependent on what specialty you're applying to/your competitiveness as an applicant, but that is getting more into the weeds and isn't really relevant at this stage in the process :)

• Love
You would definitely get to be there for all of M3, then I'm not 100% sure how the site handles fourth year but I believe you would be able to stay for electives and stuff that year too!

Rank lists are not due until February. A very general timeline is that ERAS opens up around June or July when you're starting your M4 year. You will likely take Step 2/Level 2 around then as well as you are given a month off to study in June between your last rotation of M3 and the start of M4. ERAS submission date is typically end of September, so you'll have time to fill out the application and gather things like your board scores, transcripts, letters of rec to submit. Most people will do auditions from the beginning of M4 (so typically July) throughout December, with the target being July-October so you can rotate there before apps go out. Then from October-January you'll get invitations to interview at programs. Come February, you'll submit your rank list of all the programs you interviewed at, and each program will submit their rank list of applicants they interviewed. Then March is match day! So basically since rank lists aren't due until February, you can do an audition up until that point if you want to get one-on-one exposure to a program, but ideal time is July-October so that you can convince them to give you an interview if you perform well!

*caveat here being that advice on auditions etc. is dependent on what specialty you're applying to/your competitiveness as an applicant, but that is getting more into the weeds and isn't really relevant at this stage in the process :)
That's an awesome overview of the process which I had NO IDEA about. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

• Care
what is the chance of getting off the waitlist?
Those on the WL at KCU have a good shot, but you'll have to wait until late spring as the traffic dates for both MD and DO schools are around that time. Usually people hold onto some acceptances until they are forced to commit to one school and suddenly an influx of seats become available.

While possible, if there's any advice I can give you, it would to be to not bank on getting off of the waitlist at any school. Had I not applied and got into KCU, I would've waited until the last minute for my in-state MD to tell me that I won't be pulled from their waitlist and been forced to lose another year to reapply.

Applying to medical school sucks, but I'm sure everyone here can attest to that already.

Reactions: 3 users
I see you applied IM, are you pursuing academic or community programs? Do you want to specialize? Do you feel KCU can get you to a good academic program?

Thanks for answering questions.

I see you applied IM, are you pursuing academic or community programs? Do you want to specialize? Do you feel KCU can get you to a good academic program?

Thanks for answering questions.
I am targeting based on location moreso than community vs academic based on my priorities. I want to go back home. Location is #1 for me and I am not interested in pursuing fellowship at this time so I am not super concerned about landing somewhere academic. That being said, I have multiple academic interviews at this time.

Any school can get you to a great program because the caliber of your interviews is more on how you perform on boards, research, etc. I can tell you this: KCU's schedule and non-mandatory attendance gave me the opportunity to score 90th percentile on step 1 (250+). I have interviewed at a top 10 IM program where I was the only DO applicant in the meeting and most of the others were from ivy league schools. I have over 20 interviews right now. KCU will not hinder you from anything.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am targeting based on location moreso than community vs academic based on my priorities. I want to go back home. Location is #1 for me and I am not interested in pursuing fellowship at this time so I am not super concerned about landing somewhere academic. That being said, I have multiple academic interviews at this time.

Any school can get you to a great program because the caliber of your interviews is more on how you perform on boards, research, etc. I can tell you this: KCU's schedule and non-mandatory attendance gave me the opportunity to score 90th percentile on step 1 (250+). I have interviewed at a top 10 IM program where I was the only DO applicant in the meeting and most of the others were from ivy league schools. I have over 20 interviews right now. KCU will not hinder you from anything.
Wow congratulations that's amazing. God willing I get an acceptance here and then I will reach out to you for studying tips!

• Care
Any news from people who interviewed in October?? 😀

Congrats on the great accomplishment

But how realistic is it for someone to reach that level of success, now that step 1 is pass/fail?

Congrats on the great accomplishment

But how realistic is it for someone to reach that level of success, now that step 1 is pass/fail?
Likely similar results, now it'll be "have you taken step 1" when the PD/program sees you're a DO, if so have you taken Step 2 and what was your step 2 score?

If you get a good step 2 score, with overall good ECs (research in the relevant field, publications, etc) and overall good grades, especially in the clinical rotations that align with the specialty you're applying to, as well as audition rotations and good LORs, you have a very good app overall.

I wouldn't be that worried about it tbh. People thought the sky would fall for DOs when the merger between MD and DO residencies happened, but that was proven otherwise

Reactions: 6 users
Any news from people who interviewed in October?? 😀
I think we will be waiting till at least before Thanksgiving :)
Out of curiosity, what were the October interview dates at KCU?

@fldoctorgirl did you do research? It looks like KCU only offers basic science research opportunities correct? I don’t mind that type of research but it seems that most people do clinical research because it’s easier to publish. How was the clinical research opportunities in KC?

I think we will be waiting till at least before Thanksgiving :)
Out of curiosity, what were the October interview dates at KCU?
It seems like there's been one day designated for interviews each week. First group had theirs on 9/10, then 9/15, 9/22 and so on. There really hasn't been a lot of posts about results after the 9/22 group. The last person to post about an acceptance was on 10/27, which I'm assuming his/her interview was during the last week of September.
I know for October, there was one on 10/8 and 10/14. With the current turnaround time, we "should" expect the 10/8 group to hear back sometime this week. Anxiously waiting for people to post some good news!

@fldoctorgirl did you do research? It looks like KCU only offers basic science research opportunities correct? I don’t mind that type of research but it seems that most people do clinical research because it’s easier to publish. How was the clinical research opportunities in KC?
I was also wondering this! I have no interest in basic science research but I have lots of experience in clinical and public health related research and is my interest… how do we get similar experiences at KCU? Or for specialties, you typically just need bench research?

Thanks so much!

Has anyone gotten an II off the "qualified status" list yet?

I was also wondering this! I have no interest in basic science research but I have lots of experience in clinical and public health related research and is my interest… how do we get similar experiences at KCU? Or for specialties, you typically just need bench research?

Thanks so much!
So I actually did not do any research while in med school. I have a couple of things from undergrad but research is just not my passion, and I knew that my career goals (hospitalist / primary care) didn't require it, so I didn't go out of my way to do it.

Someone else can probably speak to this better than me, but yes, there are some bench research opportunities at KCU itself. I think most people get research opportunities (whether it be bench or clinical) by either emailing faculty at local schools and seeing if they can hop on a project or during third year while on rotations. You could easily write up things like case reports while on rotations and most attendings will agree to let you. I know multiple people who got involved with several projects this way. So again, opportunities are there, it's just up to you to take advantage of them! There is no difference between bench or clinical research for residency app purposes.

Thanks so much!
If you're looking to do research with a certain specialty or something related to the specialty you are looking to apply to, I would highly suggest looking outside of KCU for research. I'm not trying to knock bench research as it has contributed a great deal of the medical knowledge we have today but if you're looking to get pubs, it isn't the best use of your time. I did bench research in undergrad and I felt clinical was the right move for me knowing how slow the processes in bench can be.

I found my research in clinical peds heme/onc. While not the adult heme/onc I wanted, it was the one that fit best and seemed to give me the best chance to get a publication. If you're like me and have an interest in heme/onc then you'll see there are so many opportunities from clinical research to novel chemotherapeutic translational research.

Just like @fldoctorgirl said, it's a matter of reaching out. I literally just cold emailed 60+ attending physicians around the area and midwest and got 6 replies, with only 2 of those being receptive to having a med student join their research

Reactions: 3 users
I just received the email saying my application is in “qualified status” and it will be reviewed for an interview periodically.

If you're looking to do research with a certain specialty or something related to the specialty you are looking to apply to, I would highly suggest looking outside of KCU for research. I'm not trying to knock bench research as it has contributed a great deal of the medical knowledge we have today but if you're looking to get pubs, it isn't the best use of your time. I did bench research in undergrad and I felt clinical was the right move for me knowing how slow the processes in bench can be.

I found my research in clinical peds heme/onc. While not the adult heme/onc I wanted, it was the one that fit best and seemed to give me the best chance to get a publication. If you're like me and have an interest in heme/onc then you'll see there are so many opportunities from clinical research to novel chemotherapeutic translational research.

Just like @fldoctorgirl said, it's a matter of reaching out. I literally just cold emailed 60+ attending physicians around the area and midwest and got 6 replies, with only 2 of those being receptive to having a med student join their research
Is it too much to try and balance bench research at KCU and clinical research elsewhere? Also is it possible to do clinical research far away (3+ hours) in case there is nothing available in Kansas City?

Is it too much to try and balance bench research at KCU and clinical research elsewhere? Also is it possible to do clinical research far away (3+ hours) in case there is nothing available in Kansas City?
I think you'd be stretching yourself thin juggling those two, but again you know yourself best. I would take the first semester of med school to figure out your study strategies and then start looking at research opportunities around mid fall.

As far as your second question, that could be done via a summer research internship or if you know a research PI that will allow you to your work remotely. I was in my home state for a few weeks over the summer and had my laptop with me to do some paperwork for my research as I have remote access via the hospital's system.

Just to add a little to this, if you want to get published you should really try and avoid bench research unless you can just get you name on a project that’s almost done. Otherwise you need to reach out to docs in the KC area and really anywhere you know of docs doing research. I would ask upperclassman at KCU about who they do research with and go from there.

I interview tmrw and never got zoom link anybody know when we get one

I'm trying to access my secondary portal and would like to reset the password. I see no option to do that. Any suggestions? Thank you!

There's far less posts about interview decisions this year than last year ☹ hoping to see some updates this week!

Waiting from the 10/14 interview...they said 4-6 weeks right? So we should hear this week or next?

Waiting from the 10/14 interview...they said 4-6 weeks right? So we should hear this week or next?
My interview was also 10/14! Our d-day is probably next week for us but I'm just curious if there is any movement at all since no one's been posting about decisions for the last few weeks 🥲

Last edited:
My interview was also 10/14! Our d-day is probably next week for us but I'm just curious if there is any movement at all since no one's been posting about decisions for the last few weeks 🥲
Last month I noticed that KCU released results most of the result in bulk over the course of a week, for the majority of folks who interviewed in September

IE - the early September folks waited nearly 6 weeks and the Sept 22 folks waited around 4 since they all got the news.

Last month I noticed that KCU released results most of the result in bulk over the course of a week, for the majority of folks who interviewed in September

IE - the early September folks waited nearly 6 weeks and the Sept 22 folks waited around 4 since they all got the news.
9/10 people received their results on 10/8 (on their 4th week)
9/15 & 9/22 heard back on the same day 10/14 (4th week for the 15th crew and 3rd week for the 22nd crew)

I just assumed everyone after them would follow similar turnaround time but it could just come in bulks for the rest of us like you said. This week marks the 6th week for the people who interviewed during the last week of September so there should be some updates in any case.

Last edited:
good vibes and good luck to those expecting decisions!

Reactions: 4 users
@Schwifty you said that grading is now Honors/Pass/Fail for the preclinical years correct? On the website it still says that KCU uses a GPA grading scale.

@Schwifty you said that grading is now Honors/Pass/Fail for the preclinical years correct? On the website it still says that KCU uses a GPA grading scale.
Ya they switch to H/P/F when the pandemic hit and then decided to keep it permanent. Unless they changed it for the newer classes (I’m 3rd year). It’s funny cause I have like 1.5 semesters of ABC grading and then all H/P/F after that, so my MSPE (med school report card) is really weird

Reactions: 4 users
Ya they switch to H/P/F when the pandemic hit and then decided to keep it permanent. Unless they changed it for the newer classes (I’m 3rd year). It’s funny cause I have like 1.5 semesters of ABC grading and then all H/P/F after that, so my MSPE (med school report card) is really weird
Can confirm that it is H/P/F for pre-clinical years!

Reactions: 5 users
Seems obvious but I just wanted to ask anyways, where is the best 3rd and 4th year clinical site to choose if you're interested in competitive subspecialties? Ascension, Denver, San Jose, and KC? How much does it matter where you do your clinical years?

Seems obvious but I just wanted to ask anyways, where is the best 3rd and 4th year clinical site to choose if you're interested in competitive subspecialties? Ascension, Denver, San Jose, and KC? How much does it matter where you do your clinical years?
Ascension has the most residents and Denver is also good. I haven’t really heard good things about San Jose and the cost of living is insane unless you have family you can stay with. KC is decent but a lot of people got screwed over with there electives for 3rd year in my class because they couldn’t find enough docs to take them, and for one rotation you might have to live like 3 hours outside KC at some sh** house KCU bought, I know people who have to b there for their surgery rotation. I’ve also heard good things about the Fort Myers site but I don’t think they have any residents there.

Third year is really what you make of it, if you are eager to learn you can get a good education anywhere. And in 4th year you can go wherever you want so you could literally just rotate at big university programs all year if you want (and assuming they will take you).