2021-2022 Medical College of Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you recall when your friend got the II for that February interview?
He got it in January. I believe late Feb or early March was the cutoff for interview invites. By the end of March, you will get a rejection letter. Keep in mind that this was pre-COVID era, so things could be a little different now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I may give that a try.
I also thought I'd heard somewhere that they wouldn't accept updates/letters past a December date, but hopefully i'm wrong about that..
Hey all, just an update- i found this in the campus preference email :

"As a reminder, please submit all requested documentation (residency documentation, grade updates, etc.) to your online application by December 1, 2021. After December 1, 2021 the only permitted updates are thank-you notes and unofficial grade reports. Final tuition classification rulings will be made, post-acceptance."

So I guess I missed my shot at sending that letter of intent :( . Oh well, happy holidays!

Hey all, just an update- i found this in the campus preference email :

"As a reminder, please submit all requested documentation (residency documentation, grade updates, etc.) to your online application by December 1, 2021. After December 1, 2021 the only permitted updates are thank-you notes and unofficial grade reports. Final tuition classification rulings will be made, post-acceptance."

So I guess I missed my shot at sending that letter of intent :( . Oh well, happy holidays!
Do you think it will hurt our application even if we still send in a letter of intent? I just want to express my interest in attending the school in hopes of it helping me get accepted. Maybe we could call the admissions office to see if they allow those types of updates?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who has been accepted, when you uploaded your technical standards and signed acceptance, did you receive any type of confirmation of receipt? And, is there an admission deposit that I am missing somewhere?

Anyone who has been accepted, when you uploaded your technical standards and signed acceptance, did you receive any type of confirmation of receipt? And, is there an admission deposit that I am missing somewhere?
I got no confirmation but emailed and asked after I submitted the stuff and they said I was good. No deposit!

Reactions: 1 users
Current M4, here to answer any questions you guys have!
Hi there! I’ve been wanting to ask a current student to maybe speak on the overall culture at MCG. How would you classify the student and faculty opinions towards LGBTQ students? How about the Augusta area towards this community in general? Thank you for your feedback!

Hi there! I’ve been wanting to ask a current student to maybe speak on the overall culture at MCG. How would you classify the student and faculty opinions towards LGBTQ students? How about the Augusta area towards this community in general? Thank you for your feedback!
Hey! Appreciate that you asked this question but do not know how much I can answer it, however, I am a reapplicant and know a good number of people accepted last year. From what I can tell based in talking to them its a very accepting community! But honestly as a prestigious medical school I'd be EXTREMELY concerned if it wasnt! Hope this helps but maybe someone else has better insight

MCG is EXTREMELY LGBTQ friendly. The student-run equality clinic is the most popular clinic on campus; so much so that it can be difficult to find an opening to volunteer there. There are multiple physicians who you’ll get the chance to work with that provide hormone replacement therapy to their patients. We have multiple lectures over the four years about cultural awareness, the LGBT community, how diseases affect LGBT populations differently, etc. There is a transgender medicine elective and HIV/AIDS counseling elective that you can take in your fourth year, and I think one of the OBGYN attendings did a gender reassignment surgery last year. There are a lot of students who are LGBT members, and I’m pretty sure every student is an ally. We have pride lanyards and badges that are optional and a lot of students wear them, myself included. We also have a pride lapel pin that most students wear on their white coat in clinic. Our patients are very grateful, some of them drive 4+ hours to receive LGBT-friendly care at our hospital. It really is wonderful!

As for the community in general, there is an annual Pride parade and celebration here. Other than that, I don’t feel comfortable commenting on Augusta in general as I am not an LGBTQ member. I have a very close friend who is, and he says that Augusta is still a southern town in Georgia, so there will always be close-minded members of the community unfortunately.

MCG is EXTREMELY LGBTQ friendly. The student-run equality clinic is the most popular clinic on campus; so much so that it can be difficult to find an opening to volunteer there. There are multiple physicians who you’ll get the chance to work with that provide hormone replacement therapy to their patients. We have multiple lectures over the four years about cultural awareness, the LGBT community, how diseases affect LGBT populations differently, etc. There is a transgender medicine elective and HIV/AIDS counseling elective that you can take in your fourth year, and I think one of the OBGYN attendings did a gender reassignment surgery last year. There are a lot of students who are LGBT members, and I’m pretty sure every student is an ally. We have pride lanyards and badges that are optional and a lot of students wear them, myself included. We also have a pride lapel pin that most students wear on their white coat in clinic. Our patients are very grateful, some of them drive 4+ hours to receive LGBT-friendly care at our hospital. It really is wonderful!

As for the community in general, there is an annual Pride parade and celebration here. Other than that, I don’t feel comfortable commenting on Augusta in general as I am not an LGBTQ member. I have a very close friend who is, and he says that Augusta is still a southern town in Georgia, so there will always be close-minded members of the community unfortunately.
Thanks so much for your super thoughtful response! My partner and I will likely be moving to Augusta from Atlanta soon with our daughter, so I was curious what the environment might be like, especially since the school is my top choice and I’ll be applying this upcoming cycle. Really appreciate it!

November interviewee checking in. They mentioned on the interview day that they will try to get decisions out by February.

Really hoping MCG comes through. All my post-II decisions so far have been WL.

November interviewee checking in. They mentioned on the interview day that they will try to get decisions out by February.

Really hoping MCG comes through. All my post-II decisions so far have been WL.
I can say there are still interviews going on through the end of January, but I’m not sure when the committee meets again to discuss applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any of the accepted made a GroupMe/Facebook yet? DM me if you made one!

Edit: I made one. DM me for a link!
Could you send me the link? I was accepted!! Thanks!

Does anyone know how often MCG releases admission decisions?

For example, if you interview early January what is the earliest you could expect to hear back?

Does anyone know how often MCG releases admission decisions?

For example, if you interview early January what is the earliest you could expect to hear back?
Last year, pre-II rejections were sent out on the 3rd Friday of January, and acceptances were sent out 2 weeks later (end of Jan) and 2 weeks after that (2nd week of Feb).

Does anyone know when we will hear about the amcas background check thing? I’ve heard sometime after the new year but didn’t know when i should expect it.

Does anyone know when we will hear about the amcas background check thing? I’ve heard sometime after the new year but didn’t know when i should expect it.

I received it January 7th last year but it can be variable. I wouldn't worry much about it -- they'll send it out when they can.

I got an email this morning for a background check but I'm not certain it was for MCG

Do you think it will hurt our application even if we still send in a letter of intent? I just want to express my interest in attending the school in hopes of it helping me get accepted. Maybe we could call the admissions office to see if they allow those types of updates?
I think that wouldn't hurt to ask. Please let me know if you did call them. If not, I can also try to reach out to them!

Received a background check email today. Interviewed 11/17. Not sure if for MCG or what it means.

• Hmm
Received a background check email today. Interviewed 11/17. Not sure if for MCG or what it means.
Same. Just received a background check too. I interviewed 10/28 and still have not heard back from them (I've been very sad about this since many people in my interview group heard back in December). I have only interviewed/been accepted to 1 other school, so it could be that, but maybe it could be a sign from MCG? The background email says its for waitlisted or accepted students, so could this sadly be a sign we are waitlisted?

Same. Just received a background check too. I interviewed 10/28 and still have not heard back from them (I've been very sad about this since many people in my interview group heard back in December). I have only interviewed/been accepted to 1 other school, so it could be that, but maybe it could be a sign from MCG? The background email says its for waitlisted or accepted students, so could this sadly be a sign we are waitlisted?
I believe you receive the background check email if you have an A or WL to any school, not just MCG

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone who interviewed in mid-November heard back?

Does anyone know when the admissions committee meets again?

Anyone know of others who have gotten IIs in the past few weeks? Trying to find any glimmer of hope lol

Anyone know of others who have gotten IIs in the past few weeks? Trying to find any glimmer of hope lol
Current M4 here: I think (big stress on think) that the last interview is tomorrow. There might be some in February that I am just not aware of.

Current M4 here: I think (big stress on think) that the last interview is tomorrow. There might be some in February that I am just not aware of.
Do you know if the admission committee has been meeting/will release decisions tomorrow?

Sorry, if you're not involved in that.

Do you know how long it will take for Results to come out for the last cohort's interview?

Anyone hear anything yet?
Not going to speak too soon, but if this cycle is going to mimic last years, We aren't gong to hear this week-either next week or beginning of February. There were just too many weeks this monthly cycle lost to Holidays. Last year, I believe they released acceptances on the fifth Friday of January (1/29). If we translate that to this year it will be this coming Friday of the 28 or even later.

Reactions: 3 users
Not going to speak too soon, but if this cycle is going to mimic last years, We aren't gong to hear this week-either next week or beginning of February. There were just too many weeks this monthly cycle lost to Holidays. Last year, I believe they released acceptances on the fifth Friday of January (1/29). If we translate that to this year it will be this coming Friday of the 28 or even later.
Thanks for the clarification! Now my HR can stop spiking every time I get a notification.

If I recall correctly, I think you're correct in that they'll release something on Jan 28, but I think they also released decisions the second week of Feb as well. After that was the WL movement.

Just called admissions and they said they did not release any decisions this morning

Reactions: 5 users
Just got an R e-mail, talk about putting a damper on your Monday

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users