2021-2022 Mercer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @fbyleth for sharing this year's questions:

2021-2022 Mercer Secondary Essay Prompts: (230 words each, maximum)
1. Please provide below an alternate e-mail address (different from the one listed on the Primary AMCAS Application) to which we can send you correspondence related to your application. (Required)

2. Please provide a cell phone number at which you can be contacted in reference to your application. (Required)

3. Please address any institutional action, including honor code or conduct code violations, from your time as an undergraduate and graduate student. (Required)

4. If you wish to discuss your perceptions of your academic readiness for the rigors of a medical school curriculum or explain poor grades in college coursework or MCAT scores to the Admissions Committee, please do so below.

5. What is your understanding of the practice of rural medicine?

6. Do you consider yourself to have been raised or to be residing in an area that is medically underserved or in a county that consists of medically underserved populations? By medically underserved we mean populations vulnerable to poor health due to difficulties accessing adequate health care services. This may be due to factors including but not limited to: education level; poverty; being uninsured or underinsured; lack of a usual source of care other than the emergency department; belonging to a socially marginalized group with poorer health outcomes; cultural or language barriers to receiving quality medical care; distance or lack of transportation to needed medical care. Please explain.

7. The mission of Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) is to educate physicians and health professionals to meet the health care needs of medically underserved and rural areas of Georgia. Summarize your work and learning experiences that you believe reflect congruence with this mission. Based on your understanding of our mission, where and what do you envision yourself doing after completion of medical school and residency?

8. If you wish to, please briefly explain below to the Admissions Committee experiences, attributes or qualifications you believe are unique to you that can add to the diversity of the educational environment at MUSM.

9. Please explain to the Admissions Committee factors that you could not highlight above that would help the Admissions Committee better understand your unique circumstances. If you would like to briefly highlight any substantial updates with regard to your application (example, volunteer experiences) that have occurred after you submitted the Primary AMCAS Application, please summarize them below.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received! ED applicant, submitted around the first week of June! @wysdoc here are the questions!

1. Please provide below an alternate e-mail address (different from the one listed on the Primary AMCAS Application) to which we can send you correspondence related to your application. (Required)

2. Please provide a cell phone number at which you can be contacted in reference to your application. (Required)

3. Please address any institutional action, including honor code or conduct code violations, from your time as an undergraduate and graduate student. (Required)

4. If you wish to discuss your perceptions of your academic readiness for the rigors of a medical school curriculum or explain poor grades in college coursework or MCAT scores to the Admissions Committee, please do so below.

6. Do you consider yourself to have been raised or to be residing in an area that is medically underserved or in a county that consists of medically underserved populations? By medically underserved we mean populations vulnerable to poor health due to difficulties accessing adequate health care services. This may be due to factors including but not limited to: education level; poverty; being uninsured or underinsured; lack of a usual source of care other than the emergency department; belonging to a socially marginalized group with poorer health outcomes; cultural or language barriers to receiving quality medical care; distance or lack of transportation to needed medical care. Please explain.

7. The mission of Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) is to educate physicians and health professionals to meet the health care needs of medically underserved and rural areas of Georgia. Summarize your work and learning experiences that you believe reflect congruence with this mission. Based on your understanding of our mission, where and what do you envision yourself doing after completion of medical school and residency?

8. If you wish to, please briefly explain below to the Admissions Committee experiences, attributes or qualifications you believe are unique to you that can add to the diversity of the educational environment at MUSM.

9. Please explain to the Admissions Committee factors that you could not highlight above that would help the Admissions Committee better understand your unique circumstances. If you would like to briefly highlight any substantial updates with regard to your application (example, volunteer experiences) that have occurred after you submitted the Primary AMCAS Application, please summarize them below.

All 230 words max btw!

Reactions: 1 users
Any ED applicants received an II yet? Probably very early in the game but just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received! ED applicant, submitted around the first week of June! @wysdoc here are the questions!

All 230 words max btw!

Do you mind sharing your casper percentile score? And do you think applicants who score in the 1st quartile are not likely to receive any secondary applications??

Do you mind sharing your casper percentile score? And do you think applicants who score in the 1st quartile are not likely to receive any secondary applications??
According to Mercer’s website, “The applicant must have taken the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) at least once on or after April 1, 2018, and obtained a percentile rank of at least 25. The applicant must have an MCAT Percentile Rank times his/her Cumulative Undergraduate BCPM-GPA greater than 93 in order to receive an invitation to submit a secondary application.”

More broadly, remember that admissions is holistic. I doubt that one metric would completely exclude you from the running.

I also got my interview invite for ED as well an hour ago!

Anyone know when Mercer will begin sending secondaries for RD? MSAR says II's for RD will go out starting mid-August.

Anyone know when Mercer will begin sending secondaries for RD? MSAR says II's for RD will go out starting mid-August.
idk but i think IIs for RD will be later than mid august for sure since no one has received secondaries

@fbyleth when you log into your secondary portal and go to the document status tab are your LORs listed under "Letters of Recommendation Entered by Admissions"? Mine are only listed under the "Letters of Recommendation" title.

@fbyleth when you log into your secondary portal and go to the document status tab are your LORs listed under "Letters of Recommendation Entered by Admissions"? Mine are only listed under the "Letters of Recommendation" title.
Mine also says Letters of Recommendation instead of Letters Entered by Admissions. But don't worry, they have our letters and read them because Mercer received them on July 1! II don't think they're showing up on our end or maybe the portal glitched with that part? And LORs I'm assuming are also a criteria for an interview invite since I just got an invite a week ago!

Anyone interested in an ED applicants group me? If so, join this link You're invited to my new group 'MUSM ED 2021-2022' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha! That's awesome. Did you graduate from their undergrad program?
Thank you! Nah aha I went to a different undergrad in GA but I'm from a rural/underserved area in GA!!

Last edited:
Anyone’s first page say it’s incomplete even though you’ve saved your info?

Anyone’s first page say it’s incomplete even though you’ve saved your info?
I think it's supposed to be incomplete when you have your info saved! Once you submit your secondary, it will read as complete and Mercer will send a conformation email that your application has been complete.

Last edited:
I think it's supposed to be incomplete when you have your info saved! Once you submit your secondary, it will read as complete and Mercer will send a conformation email that your application has been complete.
Thank you!!! I was like what is happening

Do we know like around how many apply ED and then get invited for an interview each cycle?

How long does it normally take from the time you submit your secondary to get an email for an interview (if you get one)? Specifically asking for ED applicants

How long does it normally take from the time you submit your secondary to get an email for an interview (if you get one)? Specifically asking for ED applicants
I know for ED I think they send out interview invites in batches or waves? I was in the first wave and Mercer started interview invites on July 27th!

Anyone interested in an ED applicants group me? If so, join this link You're invited to my new group 'MUSM ED 2021-2022' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe
Hey the link doesn't work do you mind adding me if the group is still available?

I made another ED Mercer Applicant GroupMe if anyone is interested in joining: You're invited to my new group 'MUSM ED + RD 2021-2022' on GroupMe. Click here to join GroupMe!

I made an ED Mercer Applicant GroupMe if anyone is interested in joining: You're invited to my new group 'MUSM ED + RD 2021-2022' on GroupMe. Click here to join GroupMe!

I know it's pretty much a surefire no-no to talk about personal mental health issues, but is it okay to talk about a close family member or is that still something to avoid? for context, it's in reference to living in a medically underserved area and trying to find them adequate treatment

I know it's pretty much a surefire no-no to talk about personal mental health issues, but is it okay to talk about a close family member or is that still something to avoid? for context, it's in reference to living in a medically underserved area and trying to find them adequate treatment
I think this would be fine tbh based on how you word it

I received my interview invite this morning as an ED applicant. I submitted my secondary on July 13th.

Does anyone know when have they historically started sending out II/R for RD apps?

To all my RD folks! I hope y’all have a nice weekend and may your inbox contain an interview invite next week! Fellow RD here still waiting for II.

Reactions: 4 users
Hope the RD ppl wake up to an II this week! Good luck everyone ☺️

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone have any thoughts as to what's going on with RD II's? Looks like they've traditionally sent out their first round or two at this point based on past years.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what's going on with RD II's? Looks like they've traditionally sent out their first round or two at this point based on past years.
I believe they are still doing ED interviews right now. That’s why there might be a delay

Is anyone concerned if they're still doing ED interviews. In other words a surge of ED applicants = less RD spots/ interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
2019-2020 cycle, ppl didn’t get IIs until September 9th so don’t lose hope!!! WE GOT THIS!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they'll send IIs to the alternate email address they asked us for in the secondary app?

Does anyone know if they'll send IIs to the alternate email address they asked us for in the secondary app?
I don't think they do for alternate emails since I checked my alternate email and I see nothing from Mercer. I got my interview invite through the main email I used for AMCAS and my secondary.

Has anyone submitted their secondary since August 27th and received an interview invitation? I submitted mine on the 27th, and have yet to hear anything about an interview (it has been roughly a week since I have submitted it since I submitted it late Friday afternoon and with yesterday being Labor Day)!

Has anyone submitted their secondary since August 27th and received an interview invitation? I submitted mine on the 27th, and have yet to hear anything about an interview (it has been roughly a week since I have submitted it since I submitted it late Friday afternoon and with yesterday being Labor Day)!
It’s only been a week,
Relax