2021-2022 Rutgers, RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows when the committee typically meets and/or sends decisions? Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Pre-II R, IS, LM 75.8, complete mid-July

Quite surprised lol

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up for people waiting for a II. I just got a notification on my portal that read, "Thank you for interest in RWJMS. The admissions committee has finished their careful review of applications." I got my Pre-II R this Friday, but it seems like they are done sending out II's.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I mean last year, my friend got an interview in Feb

Reactions: 3 users
Just a heads up for people waiting for a II. I just got a notification on my portal that read, "Thank you for interest in RWJMS. The admissions committee has finished their careful review of applications." I got my Pre-II R this Friday, but it seems like they are done sending out II's.
Where did you see this? I can't find it :'(

Reactions: 1 user
I mean last year, my friend got an interview in Feb
You're absolutely right, but this begs the question, since you know this, why you have been repeatedly asking since November whether it's all over here, as well as on other threads? :)

I don't know about Rutgers specifically, but I have a notification similar to what @peacepro is describing on other portals after I have been rejected. I think the message is meant for people who have been rejected, and not for those who haven't been.

You are still in the game until you receive the R, especially at schools like Rutgers that have been sending out Rs all along. Maybe not so much at schools that hold pre-II Rs until the end.

Last edited:
Where are you seeing this? Just checked my portal and I don't have this message but also haven't heard anything from this school since being complete mid August

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t see this anywhere on my portal either. Their main page on the portal still says “Interviews are held between the months of August and March.”

It’s kinda hard to tell going through the old threads, but do any current students know whether there was more waitlist movement during 2020-2021 vs 2019-2020? I’m purely curious what the effect of covid on waitlist movement was for specifically RWJMS. (And in addition to COVID, how waitlist movement differed in general)

Of course, this cycle is a different animal entirely so I don’t expect whatever change occured in 2021 to be present this year.

It’s kinda hard to tell going through the old threads, but do any current students know whether there was more waitlist movement during 2020-2021 vs 2019-2020? I’m purely curious what the effect of covid on waitlist movement was for specifically RWJMS. (And in addition to COVID, how waitlist movement differed in general)

Of course, this cycle is a different animal entirely so I don’t expect whatever change occured in 2021 to be present this year.
Just look at last year's thread. I was watching it in real time, and it wasn't hard to tell at all. WL movement was minimal. What that means for this year remains to be seen.

Current M1, we had a decent amount of waitlist movement if that helps. I know multiple people in my class from the waitlist, however, I can't quantify it. Feel free to PM if you have further questions or any general RWJMS-related questions.
That's GREAT to hear, because it is contrary to what was reported here last cycle, confirming that what we see here is not always representative of what is actually happening!! Thanks for the reality check!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current M1, we had a decent amount of waitlist movement if that helps. I know multiple people in my class from the waitlist, however, I can't quantify it. Feel free to PM if you have further questions or any general RWJMS-related questions.
injecting this into my veins and mainlining that sweet sweet copium baby jesus i don't care if it's a lie

I don’t see this anywhere on my portal either. Their main page on the portal still says “Interviews are held between the months of August and March.”
Same here. My portal still states that the screening process continues through March...

That's GREAT to hear, because it is contrary to what was reported here last cycle, confirming that what we see here is not always representative of what is actually happening!! Thanks for the reality check!!

I think we all need to take what we see on sdn and Reddit with a grain of salt. After all when I posted what are my chances for schools everyone told me I shouldn’t even bother applying to T20’s with my low mcat score as an ORM so I almost didn’t apply to my dream schools. I ended up getting interviews to 2 of them 😁 to future people who apply and look back on this thread shoot your shot you really never know!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Anyone know when January interviewees will hear?

Was anyone on the high priority waitlist last cycle from this school and has not heard back yet? Would greatly appreciate knowing I'm not the only one lol

I emailed asking how many interview spots RWJ has left and just got this response: "We are currently reviewing applications to create an interview waitlist for March 7th as we have run out of interview spots." Pretty bummed to hear it, especially as an IS applicant :/

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Does that mean if we already have an interview scheduled for March 7th it's for the waitlist?

Does that mean if we already have an interview scheduled for March 7th it's for the waitlist?
That's not how I read it. It literally says they ran out of IIs, not that they ran out of spots in the class! :)

I am pretty sure it means the "WL" is for an II, in case people like you cancel your IIs, and it has nothing to do with the actual WL.

I've heard from students at both Rutgers schools that Rutgers adcoms pushed heavily for affirmative-action based admissions this cycle. This seems to be backed up from AAMC data about more URMs being admitted now than ever before. They're balancing it out by admitting ORMs with very high stats. So basically, if you're an ORM, it seems that going off of MSAR data for these two schools is moot- you need to score significantly higher to be competitive. Because that's what these types of med schools consider "fair."
As a URM and IS who hasn't heard back, I don't think it is appropriate to blame this on more URMs being admitted. There is a variety of reasons for not being chosen so we shouldn't be bitter about not hearing back. Is it fair that certain schools are accepting legacy students? At the end of the day, if medicine is your passion, remain optimistic that a spot here or at another institution will open up.

• Care
  • Dislike
Reactions: 15 users
Anyone else constantly checking sdn for updates? I keep checking for the first post about an acceptance phone call! 😅

Just got a pre-II R today... :( good luck to the rest of you!

• Care
So basically they don’t even have II spots lol. That hurts.

So basically they don’t even have II spots lol. That hurts.
Well, it IS 2/18, so I guess that's possible, but someone receiving a pre-II R does not necessarily lead to that conclusion. People have been receiving pre-II Rs at this school for a few months now, and MANY IIs have gone out since that process began. It is incorrect to say that until everyone has received an II or R.

Just received the call from Dean T!! ACCEPTED to RWJMS. Submitted secondary October 11, Invited to Interview October 15, Interviewed 1/14, and Accepted 2/21! I believe they will be making more calls soon, as I had been the first in the spring today. So expect something 😁

Reactions: 6 users
I just got the call! Dean T was super nice. :)
Edit: I interviewed 1/14

Just received the call from Dean T!! ACCEPTED to RWJMS. Submitted secondary October 11, Invited to Interview October 15, Interviewed 1/14, and Accepted 2/21! I believe they will be making more calls soon, as I had been the first in the spring today. So expect something 😁
congratulations future classmate! haha got the call this afternoon :D

• Love
Got the A today from Dr. T, super excited hope to see you all there in the summer!

Reactions: 6 users
Reapplicant, interviewed 1/11, got the acceptance yesterday during my birthday month, my first acceptance this cycle!!! I cannot describe how grateful I am right now!!!

Congrats to all the others accepted and staying hopeful for all of you still waiting to hear back!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if there is any possibility of establishing NJ residency and paying IS tuition for MS2-MS4 as a current OOS applicant?
Most states do not let you do this. Pretty sure NJ is one of them. Otherwise, honestly, what would be the point of even having a higher OOS tuition rate? To grab an extra $20K for one year?

It's the state providing a tuition subsidy, rather than the school imposing a tuition surcharge. That subsidy usually goes to pre-existing residents, who presumably have been taxpayers, along with their parents, for a number of years, with a typical minimum of one year prior to enrollment, not counting any time spent as a full time student (i.e., not only couldn't you get it after M1, you couldn't even get it after spending 4 years at Rutgers UG if your parents live OOS and you didn't spend at least one gap year working and paying taxes and establishing a permanent residence in NJ). It's designed to be a benefit to assist in keeping IS people IS, hopefully to remain IS after graduation.

Most states are not looking to provide subsidies to educate OOS students, who are more likely than not to take their educations back to wherever they came from once schooling is over. NJ in particular, as a high tax blue northeast state, has seen more than its share of people leaving in recent years, for lower cost, more tax-friendly environments. It would probably be one of the least likely states in the country to offer such a deal.

Reapplicant, interviewed 1/11, got the acceptance yesterday during my birthday month, my first acceptance this cycle!!! I cannot describe how grateful I am right now!!!

Congrats to all the others accepted and staying hopeful for all of you still waiting to hear back!
Also a reapplicant and my first A :) what a ride it's been and this is just the beginning haha
Edit: OOS

Last edited:
  • Love
Has anyone received an email about being on the waitlist? I have received silence from this school after getting an interview last cycle.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I have a quick question. On RWJMS’ website they say that the school is no longer rolling and “Offers of admission will be made at two points within the cycle: late December and mid March”. Is this not the case anymore? I have an interview on the first week of March which is pretty late so I’m even more nervous now if it is rolling. Thank you!

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I have a quick question. On RWJMS’ website they say that the school is no longer rolling and “Offers of admission will be made at two points within the cycle: late December and mid March”. Is this not the case anymore? I have an interview on the first week of March which is pretty late so I’m even more nervous now if it is rolling. Thank you!
In the info session, they told is that it's not rolling, that always admit students in Dec. and spring. They did say that sometimes Dean T calls people end of Feb but usually they just guarantee you will hear something end of March