2021-2022 Texas Tech, Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @KarateCrocodile for sharing the secondary prompts!

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Texas Tech Lubbock 2021-2022 Secondary Application ( Areas of Interest + Supplemental Information)

Areas of Interest:
1. Select your area(s) of interest (please check all that apply). For each selected area, please list related activities; completed, current or planned.
"Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activitiesfor each respective interest in the available text box."
There is a 100 word limit for each selected area:
  • Practicing in an underserved area
  • Rural health
  • Medical Research
  • Medical Academics
  • Primary Care
  • Border Health
  • Other (please describe below)
Supplemental Information:
1. Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.)

1.1 If yes, please explain your circumstance. (250 words or less)

2. Please share any lessons learned during the COVID-19 pandemic that you would like the admissions committee to consider – either regarding yourself or your community – about any or all of the topics below? (300 words or less)
  • Disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, community and or personal life.
  • Creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis.
  • Hardships you may have faced as a result of isolation, quarantine or illness
3. If you are applying to a dual degree program, please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself) (Note that if you select more than one program in this section you will be required to rank them in order of importance. 200 words or less)

4. Are you applying to our MD & E program?

4.1 Please list the highest-level math/chemistry/physics course you have taken or are currently taking.

4.2 What programming language are you most comfortable using?

4.3 Describe your motivation to pursue this program, be sure to include how you expect to benefit from this program.

4.4 How do you anticipate this program making you a more efficient caregiver?

5. Are you applying to FMAT?

5.1. What motivates you to participate in the FMAT program? (200 words or less)

5.2. What experiences have you had that would prepare you for this intensive program? (200 words or less)

5.3. What, in your opinion, distinguishes Family Medicine from other medical specialties? (200 words or less)

6. Have you experienced any hardship or adversity; personally or professionally?

6.1 If yes, please share your experience with us. (200 words or less)

7. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities. (200 words or less)

8. Do you consider yourself from West Texas or as having West Texas ties?

8.1 If yes, what town or county did you reside in, or what other factors would you cite? (100 words or less)

9. Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine?

9.1. If yes, what was the name of the program and where was this program hosted (sponsoring school)? (100 words or less)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea of their engineering medicine program? Is it gonna be similar to Texas A&M EnMed? I went into their website and they no descriptions whatsoever. Engineers in Medicine | Research | Whitacre College of Engineering | TTU
I don't believe it's an integrated program. It seems to be a place where med students could do some research if engineering is one of their strengths or backgrounds. You could ask Texas Tech Lubbock SOM about it if interested.

Another medical school I know of that stresses the engineering/medicine connection is Carle Illinois College of Medicine.

Edited to add:
@JoonJK and others: Now that I have seen the Secondary Application questions for this year, one of the questions is:
"Are you applying to our MD & E program?"
I can't find anything about this program on their website so far, it must be new or in development so we will see what they say about it later.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe it's an integrated program. It seems to be a place where med students could do some research if engineering is one of their strengths or backgrounds. You could ask Texas Tech Lubbock SOM about it if interested.

Another medical school I know of that stresses the engineering/medicine connection is Carle Illinois College of Medicine.
Agree. I am reading it as Engineering department is boasting that they are doing a lot of medical research in conjunction with medical community at the school. Almost no relation to medical students or even medical school, only researchers in medicine.

@wysdoc

The secondary questions have been posted at this link, which states that they are updated by April 1st of each year. TTUHSC Medicine Secondary Application | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center

1. Select your area(s) of interest (please check all that apply). For each selected area, please list related activities; completed, current or planned. There is a 100 word limit for each selected area:

• Practicing in an underserved area
  • Rural health
  • Medical Research
  • Medical Academics
  • Primary Care
  • Border Health
  • Other (please describe below)
1. Have you experienced any road bumps in your academic career? (low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.)

2. Please share any lessons learned during the COVID-19 pandemic that you would like the admissions committee to consider – either regarding yourself or your community – about any or all of the topics below? (300 words or less)
  • Disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, community and or personal life.
  • Creative ways in which you were able to serve your community during the crisis.
3. If you are applying to a dual degree program, please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself) (Note that if you select more than one program in this section you will be required to rank them in order of importance. 200 words or less)

4.1 Please list the highest-level math/chemistry/physics course you have taken or are currently taking.

4.3 Describe your motivation to pursue this program, be sure to include how you expect to benefit from this program.

5.2. What experiences have you had that would prepare you for this intensive program? (200 words or less)

5.3. What, in your opinion, distinguishes Family Medicine from other medical specialties? (200 words or less)

6. Have you experienced any hardship or adversity; personally or professionally?

7. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities. (200 words or less)

8.1 If yes, what town or county did you reside in, or what other factors would you cite? (100 words or less)

9. Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine?

9.1. If yes, what was the name of the program and where was this program hosted (sponsoring school)? (100 words or less)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
@wysdoc

The secondary questions have been posted at this link, which states that they are updated by April 1st of each year. TTUHSC Medicine Secondary Application | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center

Yikes I barely remember my C language or even MATLAB...

Does anyone have insight on the MD/MBA program? I'm doing a gap year, and I'm not sure if I should complete an MBA in that gap year or do an MD/MBA program. I know that TTUSHC has you take business classes in the summers before and after MS1, but I'm not sure how much the MBA adds to the MD program as far as cost. I'd love to chat with someone who is considering going the MD/MBA route!

Just as a heads up... Interviews will again be virtual for the 2021-2022 cycle.

(moderator edit: source of information was MSAR, screenshot removed for copyright reasons)

Reactions: 1 users
Could someone please clarify the difference between "medical research" and "medical academics".

Does anyone know if they need your LORs before they send an invite for the secondary?

Does this school also screen for stats before secondaries?

For the secondary essay about hardship/adversity (question 6/6.1), should you only opt to write the essay if you've experienced very difficult hardship like poverty/illness? Will they screen you out if you write about a challenge/adversity that is not particularly unique/difficult? I.e, it is better to write an essay about an average challenge or just answer "no" and opt out of writing the essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the secondary essay about hardship/adversity (question 6/6.1), should you only opt to write the essay if you've experienced very difficult hardship like poverty/illness? Will they screen you out if you write about a challenge/adversity that is not particularly unique/difficult? I.e, it is better to write an essay about an average challenge or just answer "no" and opt out of writing the essay?
I would take that as something major. If you don't have such an experience you may say "not applicable".

would a death in family be considered "major" since #6 says "personally or professionally" It would be considered personal, correct?
I'm just an applicant like you, but I think that death could (but does not necessarily) fall into that category. If you had a grandparent pass away while you were in undergrad, it's obviously a difficult and sad thing, but it isn't uncommon or likely significant to your medical school application. If your parent passed away while you were very young and it forced you to have to provide for yourself, then that is definitely something to write about. I picked two extremes for this example, but you should decide for yourself if the specific death you're talking about is significant enough to warrant discussing. Perhaps it does, but perhaps it does not.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else had issues with the application fee for this school? I have my secondaries finished and all I need to do is pay the fee. When I click the "proceed to payment" button it comes back saying "failed to obtain a ticket from touchnet". I called them up and they informed me that it's a common issue at the moment.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone else had issues with the application fee for this school? I have my secondaries finished and all I need to do is pay the fee. When I click the "proceed to payment" button it comes back saying "failed to obtain a ticket from touchnet". I called them up and they informed me that it's a common issue at the moment.
Edit: They sent out an email saying the issue is now resolved.

Yeah, I am still getting the same issue. Applicants from 2019-2020 and even 2015-2016 reported the exact same error.

It just loads for a long time and gives an error message. Since they're already aware of it, I'd just be patient and wait a few more days before trying again. Also, since a lot of people are having this issue, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's still very early in the cycle, so a delay in payment right now shouldn't really impact the processing or review of your application.

1623391389824.png

for the part that says "Select your area(s) of interest", would it hurt me if I didn't select all of them? I only selected like three

for the part that says "Select your area(s) of interest", would it hurt me if I didn't select all of them? I only selected like three
No. To me selecting all of them would hurt you more b/c it looks like you are lying. Also, it says to select the ones you have experience with or have done an activity to justify selecting it. If you cannot talk about an activity then do not select it.

Last edited:
Should I simply list activities for the first section or describe them? Describing what I did is so repetitive from primary...

Yall trying to fit a narrative with anecdotes into these secondary's or being direct? With the very limited words count, I'm don't think I can squeeze in a story

For the first question, I used my optional TMDSAS essay to talk about my academic shortcomings and progress since. Should I talk more about that for the first question or focus on a particular instance like getting a C in my calculus classes?

Really hoping I get a secondary from here. I really like their mission and the area

Wow really? That seems so fast, I saw the earliest interviews people had were the first week of August last cycle on SDN
The interviews may have taken place in August but invitations can go out earlier.
Now that schools have their tech knowledge working smoothly for virtual interviews, I think there will be some early interviews again this year!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anybody gotten an II yet? MSAR says they are sent in "Mid-July", so it should be any time now. :)
the only Texas school that I believe has sent out IIs so far is SHSU

the only Texas school that I believe has sent out IIs so far is SHSU
^^ I'm following all the Texas schools besides Baylor and TCU (because I didn't apply there), and I haven't seen one interview yet

Well, it is now Saturday, 7/17. I called their admissions office on Thursday and asked if interview invites had started going out. They said they had not, and they plan to do interviews like late August, as we had previously thought. So invites can't be too far away now, they usually go out 2-3 weeks beforehand. Waiting is excruciating.
Thanks for the update!

Well, it is now Saturday, 7/17. I called their admissions office on Thursday and asked if interview invites had started going out. They said they had not, and they plan to do interviews like late August, as we had previously thought. So invites can't be too far away now, they usually go out 2-3 weeks beforehand. Waiting is excruciating.
I think they invite JAMP applicants first since they have to have a decision by end of October? Who knows… it seems Texas schools r behind this year?

I did some digging in previous years' threads and found the following dates for the first interview invites. It's possible that I made a mistake on one or two, but this should be pretty accurate. Let me know if I wrote something incorrectly.

2010-2011: July 14 (Wednesday)
2011-2012: July 6 (Wednesday)
2012-2013: July 10 (Tuesday)
2013-2014: July 17 (Wednesday)
2014-2015: June 8 (Sunday)
2015-2016: July 20 (Monday)
2016-2017: July 12 (Tuesday)
2017-2018: June 23 (Friday)
2018-2019: June 8 (Friday)
2019-2020: June 27 (Thursday)
2020-2021: August 7 (Friday)
2021-2022: Let's hope soon!

The latest date was last year (a COVID-19 year) and fell on August 7, 2020. The average date was July 5th over the past 11 years, so they technically are "behind schedule". I think it is interesting that the past four years have all been on a Thursday or Friday, so here's to hoping for late next week!
I think the reason they might be behind this year is because this is the first normal cycle (semi normal) where match day is in March not February.... of course during the covid cycle match day was also in March but that cycle was not even close to a normal one.

Last edited:
First interview date is August 6th

Source: Upper level student here

Just as a side note if you are going to be interviewing here - some of my classmates will likely interview you. I would recommend knowing why you want to come to lubbock specifically and/or what you could contribute to the student body that is unique about you.

Reactions: 11 users
First interview date is August 6th

Source: Upper level student here

Just as a side note if you are going to be interviewing here - some of my classmates will likely interview you. I would recommend knowing why you want to come to lubbock specifically and/or what you could contribute to the student body that is unique about you.
Thanks for the info! And wow if the first interview date is August 6 then that’s in less than 3 weeks (19 days from today), IIs must be going out very soon

Since we had to use zoom alot for professional things last year, a useful tip would be to make sure you have a good background. Zoom lets you change your background so find something plain and not too flashy. Otherwise use your wall. No one wants to see your bed or the rest of your house in the background for a professional interview.

Reactions: 5 users
hey y'all, so i was just trying to submit my application, and now it won't let me change anything despite the pages being incomplete. has anyone run into this issue???

• Hmm
nope, trying to fill the rest of it out lmao, meant i was trying to fill it out in order to submit but that wasn't clear
Try to clear the cache on your browser

What is TTU's policy on letters of interest/intent?
At this point in the application cycle, your application itself is your show of interest.

Later, (much later, like February or even after Match), if you have been interviewed and are waiting to hear back from them you can write them a letter of continued interest.

What is TTU's policy on letters of interest/intent?
They will take it and file it away - especially if you have avg stats --never to be heard or seen again unless you are URM.

I think it only comes into play - let's say, you already have a pre-match offer from UTSW or Baylor but you reeeally want to go to Lubbock, you interviewed and you haven't heard from them yet - then perhaps they'll give your letter some attention.

Who knows what goes on in the Adcoms mind, but this is what I feel :)

In any case, its tooooo early in the game to be thinking of Letter of Intent.

For the hardship essay, if I discussed my hardship in my personal statement, primary essays, and the other two secondary questions before that, can I say something to that effect here? I don't want to put something else trivial but I'll certainly be repeating myself if I write an actual essay.

Has anybody talked to the office recently? Interview invites have to be coming out very soon.
Probably, but guys, don't call the med schools and ask if they're going to invite you & stuff.
It's worse than sitting in the back seat and annoying your dad by asking "Are we there yet?"

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Would it be okay to say yes to the adversity prompt but write in that it was discussed in the primary app? I feel like I said everything I needed to about my hardships on the primary essays..

I personally would try to write more if you're going to check the box.
Would you suggest just expanding on the adversity discussed in the primary? I've discussed adversity/challenges in detail there.

A "few" interview invites have been sent out according to the admissions office. They confirmed that they are a few weeks behind, so more should be coming out "shortly". I don't know if that means a few hours or a few weeks, but I was able to confirm that they have actually started. It just depends on when you submitted and when they are able to get a reviewer to look at your application. I'm happy to see it start!
I have seen this as well. I think they may be sending out the AAMC early decision before they get to the regular pool of applicants. Thank you for your information!

Texas Tech Lubbock has now made a page and information available about their "Medicine and Engineering" track.
Those interested should probably read this over and contact admissions if you want to be considered.
Medicine and Engineering | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center

This program is 100% new right now so I don't know anything more, and I don't know if the interviewers for this program are the same as the MD interviewers.
Share what you learn if you find out more, y'all!

Edited to add this link to an interview. I knew I had seen it someplace, but it took Texas Health Education Service a few days to post the video interview up on their YouTube channel.
Engineering the Future of Healthcare with Texas Tech HSC SOM

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi there,
I was curious if Texas Tech allows for update letters for activities and employment. I'm not seeing a place to upload updates directly to their portal.

Hi there,
I was curious if Texas Tech allows for update letters for activities and employment. I'm not seeing a place to upload updates directly to their portal.
Hold on to those for now, and either talk about your new things at an interview or update via email in a few months.
The TMDSAS schools largely want to take your primary + secondary as your complete info to decide on interviews.
Sending an update this soon after sending your app could make you look forgetful or "why didn't they talk about this in their secondaries?"

Hold on to those for now, and either talk about your new things at an interview or update via email in a few months.
The TMDSAS schools largely want to take your primary + secondary as your complete info to decide on interviews.
Sending an update this soon after sending your app could make you look forgetful or "why didn't they talk about this in their secondaries?"
Thank you for the reply! I submitted my secondaries for TMDSAS in late June and began a new clinical job a few weeks ago. Just to clarify, you'd recommend holding off updating schools on the job until around October if I haven't heard back for interviews?

Thank you for the reply! I submitted my secondaries for TMDSAS in late June and began a new clinical job a few weeks ago. Just to clarify, you'd recommend holding off updating schools on the job until around October if I haven't heard back for interviews?
While you are waiting, it would serve you well to see which TX med schools welcome updates and which do not.
I'll start: UTSW, Dell, and TCU/UNTHSC do not take updates.
You can research the rest for yourself.

• Care