2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For folks planning on UTMB this fall, where are you planning on living? I'm not too keen on the island itself and was thinking about living somewhere between Houston and Galveston (e.g. League City, where my sister also lives so that's a plus) so that I can get to school AND be able to visit friends/participate in HTX city life, but I'm wondering if this is a "jack of all trades master of none" situation where the drive in either direction is going to make me want to shoot myself.
Also my family and I will be living on the island, but I've heard from other students that League City is the farthest away to feasibly live since the construction on I-45 is kinda crazy heading towards the island. The drive from Galveston to Houston isn't too bad though if you were still wanting to visit on weekends.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For folks planning on UTMB this fall, where are you planning on living? I'm not too keen on the island itself and was thinking about living somewhere between Houston and Galveston (e.g. League City, where my sister also lives so that's a plus) so that I can get to school AND be able to visit friends/participate in HTX city life, but I'm wondering if this is a "jack of all trades master of none" situation where the drive in either direction is going to make me want to shoot myself.
Welcome to Houston if you are not already here!

Living in League City might work for you during the semesters of classes. I have known people who lived at home in Pearland or Sugar land to commute to medical center.

There is a point when rotations start that you will find this commute quite hard. You will be working 14-15 hour shifts in IM and Surgery where you will have little energy make 30+ minute commute.

Finally matched after two gap years!! Is there a groupme or facebook group for the new people?

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to Houston if you are not already here!

Living in League City might work for you during the semesters of classes. I have known people who lived at home in Pearland or Sugar land to commute to medical center.

There is a point when rotations start that you will find this commute quite hard. You will be working 14-15 hour shifts in IM and Surgery where you will have little energy make 30+ minute commute.
What’s the closest off island city from UTMB

What’s the closest off island city from UTMB
galveston-county-map.jpg

I suggest you find a local realtor and ask them to help you find rentals.

This is your dream school! I told you that it would work out! I love you 😍
Fastest draw in the west. I can't believe this already made your footer.

Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2027!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
How do you start looking for housing
Any good options to start looking, and
Is everyone matched, planning to go for orientation

Reactions: 4 users
was waitlisted last friday . . . anyone know if UTMB accepts LOI's still?

do you have the link to it? I found one group but im not sure thats the official one.
I got an email about joining it on Friday, but I can message it to you if you didn't get that email.

In the portal it says to send them directly to Dr. Banks. I’m sure you could still send one?
Do you all think it is worth it to send a letter of intent? I've read that sometimes admissions see LOIs as "lying"(?) . . . I'm not sure if they would change their algorithm just because someone sent to Dr. Banks their letter of intent(?) . . .

Do you all think it is worth it to send a letter of intent? I've read that sometimes admissions see LOIs as "lying"(?) . . . I'm not sure if they would change their algorithm just because someone sent to Dr. Banks their letter of intent(?) . . .
During one of the townhall meetings they mentioned that LOIs and updates won’t really make a difference.

Has anyone received their MySTAR credentials email? Pretty sure they said they'd be coming in a separate email and just want to be sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks!

Has anyone received their MySTAR credentials email? Pretty sure they said they'd be coming in a separate email and just want to be sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks!

Haven’t gotten the email yet either. Eagerly waiting!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I called them today and they told me that there was a delay and they would likely be sending them out by Monday :)

Could you do mix of both
Weekdays on the island for ease of attending classes then weekends with family.
I also want to know class schedule and housing options would also depend on that.

Hi Texas friends! I'm planning to come to Spring Peek in a couple weeks but since I'm OOS and have never been to Galveston I'm trying to figure out how best to plan this trip. Do I need a car to get around the island, especially if I'm also hoping to look at some apartments while I'm there? Any recommendations on places to stay? I'm really looking forward to seeing the school/meeting a lot of you so thanks in advance!

Hi Texas friends! I'm planning to come to Spring Peek in a couple weeks but since I'm OOS and have never been to Galveston I'm trying to figure out how best to plan this trip. Do I need a car to get around the island, especially if I'm also hoping to look at some apartments while I'm there? Any recommendations on places to stay? I'm really looking forward to seeing the school/meeting a lot of you so thanks in advance!
Fly in to Houston Hobby Airport and rent yourself a car. It's about a 40 mile drive to Galveston. Lots of hotels on the island since it's a tourist spot so you shouldn't have any trouble. Enjoy your visit!

I would highly recommend getting a car. Galveston is relatively small, but it's pretty long and school is on the east end of the island. If you're planning on touring apartments, walking from one end to another will be nigh impossible 😅 There are plenty of standard hotels on the island and plenty of AirBnBs if that's more your style.

Looking forward to meeting you along with everyone else!

Reactions: 1 users
From my undergrad’s email for pre Med students:
John Sealy School of Medicine will host a Reapplicant Workshop for individuals planning to reapply for the MD 2023-2024 cycle. They will be providing an overview of requirements and tips for a successful application and interview cycle. The workshop will be on April 11th, from 3:00 - 5:00 PM.

Registration information is attached, and the direct link is: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_PG7njIcFTNyS9kLRQbdDcg

For any additional questions, please contact [email protected]

Reactions: 1 user
Didn’t say in the email, but I think it’s just a general info session. Maybe some kids bring their app to workshop and the directors show constructive criticism publicly. Could be beneficial to those who haven’t applied yet

Reactions: 1 users
Since UTMB alternate email states that 250 people are on the WL does that mean not everyone received a spot on their WL?

Since UTMB alternate email states that 250 people are on the WL does that mean not everyone received a spot on their WL?
True that.
They interview almost 1000 people so they must put only some of those non-accepted folks on their WL.

Last edited:
Hey there! I apologize if this has been addressed already, but UTMB sent an email about setting up our mySTAR account as we prepare to matriculate. I received this email 8 days ago, and in the email it states that "within one to two business days" I would receive two additional emails with instructions on how to log into mySTAR. However, I have not received these additional emails, and I was curious if anybody else is in the same boat? If not, I will simply reach out to the help desk. Thanks so much to anyone who can provide any clarity!

Hey there! I apologize if this has been addressed already, but UTMB sent an email about setting up our mySTAR account as we prepare to matriculate. I received this email 8 days ago, and in the email it states that "within one to two business days" I would receive two additional emails with instructions on how to log into mySTAR. However, I have not received these additional emails, and I was curious if anybody else is in the same boat? If not, I will simply reach out to the help desk. Thanks so much to anyone who can provide any clarity!
I can't answer about when they will send your next emails, they used to send big stack of papers in the mail which took 2-3 weeks.
Maybe they've gone all-electronic

Reactions: 1 user