2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Plan to enroll is kind of binding for schools you are already admitted to that you need to drop from outside state, i.e. if you have more than one admission, you have to give those up. AAMC deadline for this is usually end of April/early May.

Commit to enroll is when you have to tell all your waitlists you are no longer interested.
AAMC deadline for this is 3 weeks before orientation for the school you are in the plan to enroll relationship. If you dont commit at that point you can lose your admission.
So if you enroll in TX school then are you withdrawn from any WL within TMDSAS
What are the options with TMDSAS?
And can you interview at other colleges before April (OOS)
Hope this makes sense , new to this
May have to elaborate my query 😊

Members don't see this ad.

So if you enroll in TX school then are withdrawn from any WL within TMDSAS
What are the options with TMDSAS
And can you interview at other colleges before April OOS
Hope this makes sense , new to this
May have to elaborate my query 😊
Are you an OOS applicant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you want to plan to enroll? That deadline is usually mid to late April.

PLAN to enroll is a national status, not specific to Texas. It is done at the point when you have eliminated all your other admissions and narrow down to 1 school.

You still get to keep your waitlists. You have to give up waitlists when you COMMIT to enroll.

Reactions: 1 user
If you hold a TMDSAS acceptance right now, you are only eligible to get offers from any of your TMDSAS Waitlists until May 15.

You are free to keep interviewing OOS if you have the chance.

If you got accepted OOS and prefer it, you can withdraw from your Texas school.

I meant if you accept and enroll as a instate student, is the WL to other TX colleges withdrawn automatically or you still have until mid May to receive any offers from WL (within TMDSAS)

*Edited

Last edited:
I meant if you accept and enroll as a instate student, is the WL to other TX colleges withdrawn automatically or you still have until mid May to receive any offers from WL (within TMDSAS)

*Edited
You can not plan to enroll and keep OOS admissions. It is across the country.

You can keep your waitlists everywhere and as @wysdoc mentions, those do expire for YOU as an admitted student in state on May 15th for instate schools

*Edited
I’ll say it again lol. Texans with a TMDSAS acceptance can stay on TMDSAS waitlists until May 15.
I recommend staying off the CYMS tool for now. You don’t need to put anything on it unless you have AMCAS offers.

PLAN to enroll is a national status, not specific to Texas. It is done at the point when you have eliminated all your other admissions and narrow down to 1 school.

You still get to keep your waitlists. You have to give up waitlists when you COMMIT to enroll.
I thought you could go back and forth between the 3 schools (suggested we narrow down to 3 on April 15th) until April 30th at which point you commit to one and remain on waitlists for others..by the way, for Texas schools do we follow this same guideline and just pretend they are in the tool?

I thought you could go back and forth between the 3 schools (suggested we narrow down to 3 on April 15th) until April 30th at which point you commit to one and remain on waitlists for others..by the way, for Texas schools do we follow this same guideline and just pretend they are in the tool?
No Texan should have 3 TMDSAS schools right now.
There was their 1 match school on March 3.
If a Texan gets a TMDSAS WL offer, they need to decide whether to take it or not, thus getting back to just 1 school.

Reactions: 1 users
No Texan should have 3 TMDSAS schools right now.
There was their 1 match school on March 3.
If a Texan gets a TMDSAS WL offer, they need to decide whether to take it or not, thus getting back to just 1 school.

Got it, so they would switch one for the other. Thanks! I’m OOS, so just trying to figure out how all this works :)

is there any hope at all for waitlist movement for oos applicants??
Sure, but it will probably happen closer to the end of April when people holding several schools have to drop one for AMCAS traffic deadlines.
UTMB class can have at most 23 OOS matriculants (10%)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is hard to determine and quite random - but when should we see more WL movement for IS applicants?

Hey if anybody is holding onto an acceptance and planning to go somewhere else, it would be very chill of you to open up that spot for one of us chumps on the waitlist 😘😘😘

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Hey if anybody is holding onto an acceptance and planning to go somewhere else, it would be very chill of you to open up that spot for one of us chumps on the waitlist 😘😘😘
and to the lovely people that have already done this THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE <3

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
IS. Just received a call from Dr. Banks for acceptance off of the waitlist!! I am ecstatic and awestruck right now.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
Now I'm looking at the OOS with multiple A's to make up your minds 😘😘

IS, Admitted off waitlist and received the call yesterday from Dr. Banks. Good luck to all! :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Would appreciate if I can get some clarification of this process:
By April 15 do we have to enter plan to enroll
even if one has less then 3 acceptances and say a WL
Or can you just wait till April 30th to straight away add commit to enroll
This leads to my last question, by entering COE do you lose your WL spot

you don't have to plan to enroll until 30 april, but by that date you MUST choose a school. you can stay on waitlists if you only plan to enroll. commit to enroll has various deadlines i think, depending on the school, but by doing commit to enroll you DO lose your waitlist spots.

What is plan to enroll and commit to enroll?

"It is your obligation to notify all schools where you hold a position in the class or are waitlisted, your intent to matriculate elsewhere by April 15, 2023, in order for your vacated position(s) to be offered to other applicants."

I got in off the waitlist and this sentence was copied and pasted directly from my offer letter. I already withdrew from the two out of state schools that I got into but to be honest there is one Texas school that I am waitlisted at that I would choose over utmb if given an offer. I thought the last day for waitlists was May 15 but my offer letter is saying I have to withdraw by tomorrow? Did anyone else get this in their letter? I don't want to get in trouble but I really don't want to take myself off the waitlist it's my dream school

"It is your obligation to notify all schools where you hold a position in the class or are waitlisted, your intent to matriculate elsewhere by April 15, 2023, in order for your vacated position(s) to be offered to other applicants."

I got in off the waitlist and this sentence was copied and pasted directly from my offer letter. I already withdrew from the two out of state schools that I got into but to be honest there is one Texas school that I am waitlisted at that I would choose over utmb if given an offer. I thought the last day for waitlists was May 15 but my offer letter is saying I have to withdraw by tomorrow? Did anyone else get this in their letter? I don't want to get in trouble but I really don't want to take myself off the waitlist it's my dream school
Sometimes a school will set deadlines that differ from or are earlier than the national PTE and CTE AMCAS deadlines.
Did you accept your offer from the UTMB WL? if so, that is all you need to do for now.
Other TMDSAS schools can see that you have an acceptance, but that doesn't remove you from consideration for TMDSAS WL offers until
May 15.

Withdrew from UTMB! Good luck UTMB Class of 2027!

Last edited:
Where are you going? :O
Most likely Penn State. Closer to home, has home programs, great alumni network, huge emphasis on humanities with bodes well with my writing background, smaller class size, etc…

I’ll decide on TAMU once I get my campus designation. But I’ll admit the partnership with the hospital down in the RGV makes me nervous because they could force my hand and make me go down there for a few rotations or something. The class just seems to get bigger and bigger which means some students are gonna be dealt bad hands

Most likely Penn State. Closer to home, has home programs, great alumni network, huge emphasis on humanities with bodes well with my writing background, smaller class size, etc…

I’ll decide on TAMU once I get my campus designation. But I’ll admit the partnership with the hospital down in the RGV makes me nervous because they could force my hand and make me go down there for a few rotations or something. The class just seems to get bigger and bigger which means some students are gonna be dealt bad hands
Does A&M provide campus designation before enrollment?

Should be sometime next week
Isnt there a huge tuition difference for Penn State? I thought instate was 50k.

There are lot of Texas kids who dont want to go to UT or A&M that go to Penn State or Arizona state for comparable student experience for undergrad.

Isnt there a huge tuition difference for Penn State? I thought instate was 50k.

There are lot of Texas kids who dont want to go to UT or A&M that go to Penn State or Arizona state for comparable student experience for undergrad.
It would cost me an extra $25K per year but I think it's worth it, especially because I'm extremely serious about public service so there is a high likelihood I could get my loans forgiven after 10 years of min payments starting my first paycheck in residency

Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes a school will set deadlines that differ from or are earlier than the national PTE and CTE AMCAS deadlines.
Did you accept your offer from the UTMB WL? if so, that is all you need to do for now.
Other TMDSAS schools can see that you have an acceptance, but that doesn't remove you from consideration for TMDSAS WL offers until
May 15.
so update I called and was told I do have withdraw :(

so update I called and was told I do have withdraw :(
Is this for a Texas school? You shouldn't have to withdraw from any waitlisted schools in TMDSAS with an acceptance yet? Does UTMB policy supersede TMDSAS?
1681513044613.png

Is this for a Texas school? You shouldn't have to withdraw from any waitlisted schools in TMDSAS with an acceptance yet? Does UTMB policy supersede TMDSAS?
View attachment 369406
I have seen the AMCAS schools do this at times & set an earlier commit date.
@rainbow458 did the right thing and called the school to double check.
If I get any different answer from TMDSAS I will post it here, y'all.

I have seen the AMCAS schools do this at times & set an earlier commit date.
@rainbow458 did the right thing and called the school to double check.
If I get any different answer from TMDSAS I will post it here, y'all.

I’m confused because I called UTMB earlier this week with the same question (because I am also on the waitlist for a school I ranked higher) and they told me I do not have to withdraw from the waitlist.

I’m confused because I called UTMB earlier this week with the same question (because I am also on the waitlist for a school I ranked higher) and they told me I do not have to withdraw from the waitlist.
Was the April 15th deadline in your offer letter as well? The explanation I was given is that since utmb starts earlier than others, they want to have their class finalized early.
I've written the draft but haven't pressed send on my withdrawal email to my top choice yet. Now I'm second guessing things again if they told someone else its fine to stay on their waitlists...

I wonder if the waitlist acceptances are being told they can't be on other waitlists. Since they are offering you a seat off the waitlist, they want to make sure you consider them their top choice or else they will go to the next person on list.

I dont believe the currently admitted students (those that prematched or matched on match day) are being asked to get off their own waitlists.

View attachment 369417
really hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this here (please let me know so I can delete it) but here is what it says in my letter

My letter says the same exact thing. I honestly feel like it’s worded weird but I actually read it aloud to whoever I talked to on the phone and she told me that I do not have to withdraw.

Am I correct in assuming that today will likely be a wave of acceptance calls with people moving schools, but that there could still be WL movement all the way until the matriculation date?

Am I correct in assuming that today will likely be a wave of acceptance calls with people moving schools, but that there could still be WL movement all the way until the matriculation date?
I don’t expect any big TMDSAS WL action until after April 30

What happens is that people are required to go down to 3 schools (primarily OOS since Texas residents are down to 1 in Texas already) and so some are paring down their Texas admissions. It is upto the schools to decide whether they admit other OOS when they lose some or admit IS for those openings since OOS admissions are carefully measured (try to hold to 10% or less) sforo when they lose one, it is an actual opening for the school.

Early May they need to further reduce to a single admission which means some have given up 2 more admissions, whether in Texas or elsewhere. This is when IS students might actually give up a Texas admission to go OOS and slots can open up, normally at higher tiered schools causing a ripple effect. If nothing changes in the first 10-15 days of May, most likely the season is over. It is very rare that things happen after 15th if it does, it is primarily for someone with zero IS admissions.

edit: I see @wysdoc is predicting movement only after 30th. The 2nd paragraph here is why.

What happens is that people are required to go down to 3 schools (primarily OOS since Texas residents are down to 1 in Texas already) and so some are paring down their Texas admissions. It is upto the schools to decide whether they admit other OOS when they lose some or admit IS for those openings since OOS admissions are carefully measured (try to hold to 10% or less) sforo when they lose one, it is an actual opening for the school.

Early May they need to further reduce to a single admission which means some have given up 2 more admissions, whether in Texas or elsewhere. This is when IS students might actually give up a Texas admission to go OOS and slots can open up, normally at higher tiered schools causing a ripple effect. If nothing changes in the first 10-15 days of May, most likely the season is over. It is very rare that things happen after 15th if it does, it is primarily for someone with zero IS admissions.

edit: I see @wysdoc is predicting movement only after 30th. The 2nd paragraph here is why.
Yep, because people are procrastinators and will put off their decisions until the April 30 date.
Then schools need a minute to count up any emptied spaces and decide whom to invite from the WL.

Reactions: 3 users