2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got accepted off the waitlist yesterday for UTMB and I'm so EXCITED!!! My husband matched with UTMB on Match Day so we will get to go together :giggle:

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! I apologize if this has been addressed already, but UTMB sent an email about setting up our mySTAR account as we prepare to matriculate. I received this email 8 days ago, and in the email it states that "within one to two business days" I would receive two additional emails with instructions on how to log into mySTAR. However, I have not received these additional emails, and I was curious if anybody else is in the same boat? If not, I will simply reach out to the help desk. Thanks so much to anyone who can provide any clarity!
Yep, a few folks called the office since none of us got myStar details yet . It’s supposed to come to us sometime this upcoming week.

Reactions: 1 user
is this your first acceptance? congratulations!
Thank you and yes, this is my 1st acceptance! I interviewed at 7 Texas medical schools and unfortunately did not match on match day, but was waitlisted at all the schools. However, I am so happy that everything worked out and I was accepted at my #1 school with my husband :giggle:

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!! Did they notify you through call or email?
Dr. Pierre Banks called me Thursday night to let me know and I literally screamed when I found out ... then cried a lot of happy tears 😂
Then, I got all the official acceptance emails the next morning!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I also got off the waitlist by email yesterday in the same way, with a call from Dr. Banks the day before! I will also be giving up my match acceptance at Texas Tech.

Reactions: 6 users
Yay future classmates!! Love that Dr Banks calls out personally 😍

Thank you and yes, this is my 1st acceptance! I interviewed at 7 Texas medical schools and unfortunately did not match on match day, but was waitlisted at all the schools. However, I am so happy that everything worked out and I was accepted at my #1 school with my husband :giggle:
Thats great that you matched to your number one school out of 7 and you are done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it would be too late to send a letter of intent? I am on the waitlist and UTMB is my first choice and this is my first time applying so I wasn't super sure on the details of this!

Do you think it would be too late to send a letter of intent? I am on the waitlist and UTMB is my first choice and this is my first time applying so I wasn't super sure on the details of this!
It's a pretty common thing to send one more letter when you get placed on a WL.

It's a pretty common thing to send one more letter when you get placed on a WL.
shouldn't colleges be willing to accept. Some say please do not contact us after WL. Anyone has experience around that ?

In the portal it says to send them directly to Dr. Banks. I’m sure you could still send one?
[email protected] or [email protected] ? The FAQ mentions the latter. I'll check the portal real quick to see what you are talking about... https://www.utmb.edu/som/admissions-information/ready-to-apply-info/admission-policies-faqs

Edit: I do not see anything in the AMP (portal) about sending them directly to Dr. Banks per se? . . . Which page are you seeing that on? I'm on the FAQ page within the AMP.

I uploaded an LOI to the portal before match day. Would it be too much to send another to Dr. Banks now?

What's the approximate range of chance of matching with the waitlist for UTMB, y'all think? E.g., Obviously the ones at the top of the ranking (say, #1-90 spots probably have a good chance, but what about the middle and bottom of the ranking for the waitlist, i.e., #91-191, #192-250)?

When I looked at the previous matching chance (2021 data Google Sheets?), it seemed like there were a decent amount of people who probably don't take the waitlist offer if accepted (since they probably got something else), it seemed like about ~190 offers were accepted for waitlist IIRC, but of course it could vary year-to-year....

(Edit: 190* I meant. Thus, possibly ~190/250; possibly ~76%? ~Total accepted = ~520, total enrolled = ~230. )

(Assuming IIS for the above question.... The number of OOS was extremely small it seemed like. ~223 enrolled IIS vs. ~7 OOS enrolled. Probably because the OOS individuals were interested in going somewhere else: ~45 OOS initially accepted but only 7 OOS took the offer.)

Last edited:
What's the approximate range of chance of matching with the waitlist for UTMB, y'all think? E.g., Obviously the ones at the top of the ranking (say, #1-90 spots probably have a good chance, but what about the middle and bottom of the ranking for the waitlist, i.e., #91-191, #192-250)?

When I looked at the previous matching chance (2021 data Google Sheets?), it seemed like there were a decent amount of people who probably don't take the waitlist offer if accepted (since they probably got something else), it seemed like about ~190 offers were accepted for waitlist IIRC, but of course it could vary year-to-year....

(Edit: 190* I meant. Thus, possibly ~190/250; possibly ~76%? ~Total accepted = ~520, total enrolled = ~230. )

(Assuming IIS for the above question.... The number of OOS was extremely small it seemed like. ~223 enrolled IIS vs. ~7 OOS enrolled. Probably because the OOS individuals were interested in going somewhere else: ~45 OOS initially accepted but only 7 OOS took the offer.)
I am under the impression there is no ranking. Most likely they will plug in based on diversity and equity to the class.

• Care
I am under the impression there is no ranking. Most likely they will plug in based on diversity and equity to the class.
Interesting, that is certainly plausible as well. Their email made it sound like they ranked people from #1 to #250 for the waitlist, and that they did not want to tell people their rank on the waitlist.

Interesting, that is certainly plausible as well. Their email made it sound like they ranked people from #1 to #250 for the waitlist, and that they did not want to tell people their rank on the waitlist.
Good to know this list is ranked as opposed to the standard unranked lists at most schools. However, this seems different from what they have said in the past.

The AAMC waitlist movement says 20 people last year and also says entire list is reviewed. The question to ask is whether they have new policy this year.

• Care
Good to know this list is ranked as opposed to the standard unranked lists at most schools. However, this seems different from what they have said in the past.

The AAMC waitlist movement says 20 people last year and also says entire list is reviewed. The question to ask is whether they have new policy this year.

Interesting, that.... seems... like ~10% chance in theory (~200 --> ~20), hmm. I checked the 2021 version and it was also ~10% chance. (Sigh.)

Congrats on your acceptance @sopapilla!!! Did you upload your LOI via the portal or did you email it to them directly?
Thank you! I emailed it directly to the admissions email and then they added it to my file. In my email and LOI, I addressed it to "Dr. Banks and the Admissions Committee"

• Care
I got the email from
Received my mystar log in at 10:30!
I just got mine too! The email says we need to indicate that we plan to matriculate, but when I log in I don’t see where to do this. Are you having this problem?

I got the email from

I just got mine too! The email says we need to indicate that we plan to matriculate, but when I log in I don’t see where to do this. Are you having this problem?
Same here. I was able to login without issue. But, there was no option for the plan to matriculate.

Same here. I was able to login without issue. But, there was no option for the plan to matriculate.
I got the email from

My secret plan was to have someone explain to me how to find this:rofl: sounds like we are all having this issue

I reached out and they said this has been remedied! My application shows up now so I'd suggest refreshing or logging in again.

after I accepted the offer on MyStar and logged out, the application disappeared and I couldn’t see my decision anymore. Did this happen to others? Also I didn’t really receive an email confirming that I had chosen to accept the offer. Did anyone receive any email confirmations?

after I accepted the offer on MyStar and logged out, the application disappeared and I couldn’t see my decision anymore. Did this happen to others? Also I didn’t really receive an email confirming that I had chosen to accept the offer. Did anyone receive any email confirmations?
Happened to me as well. Glad to hear this seems to be the case across the board

Happened to me too. I just got an email this morning though with instructions on how to get the "enhanced access" and actual UTMB login credentials so that's probably coming your way if you haven't already gotten it.

Reactions: 1 users
Is accepting any of this binding?
Plan to enroll is kind of binding for schools you are already admitted to that you need to drop from outside state, i.e. if you have more than one admission, you have to give those up. AAMC deadline for this is usually end of April/early May.

Commit to enroll is when you have to tell all your waitlists you are no longer interested.
AAMC deadline for this is 3 weeks before orientation for the school you are in the plan to enroll relationship. If you dont commit at that point you can lose your admission.

[email protected] or [email protected] ? The FAQ mentions the latter. I'll check the portal real quick to see what you are talking about... Admissions Policies and FAQs

Edit: I do not see anything in the AMP (portal) about sending them directly to Dr. Banks per se? . . . Which page are you seeing that on? I'm on the FAQ page within the AMP.
Hi, it used to say it somewhere or maybe still does? I looked around and all I can find currently is the [email protected] you mentioned, which is on their main website FAQs

• Care
OOS students - make sure you apply to scholarships. It looks like UTMB expects everyone to apply for different scholarships.

Their scholarship process is actually why I’m probably gonna withdraw from UTMB as an accepted OOS. There is no guarantee I get IS before I need to commit somewhere (as compared to other TX schools which have given me 1K and more already). From my perspective, should I risk it? Especially when I think TAMU Dallas/Round Rock is the exact same quality as UTMB (and TAMU has put in effort to make me feel excited about going there) in a significantly better location.

Reactions: 5 users
Their scholarship process is actually why I’m probably gonna withdraw from UTMB as an accepted OOS. There is no guarantee I get IS before I need to commit somewhere (as compared to other TX schools which have given me 1K and more already). From my perspective, should I risk it? Especially when I think TAMU Dallas/Round Rock is the exact same quality as UTMB (and TAMU has put in effort to make me feel excited about going there) in a significantly better location.
As long as you come to Texas, does not matter where you want to be. :) Seriously, if you are holding A&M admission and/or others and are guaranteed instate, there is no reason to keep UTMB in the mix.

I feel that UTMB not following others in Texas giving out 1k at a minimum is causing them not to be competitive for OOS students. Hopefully some adcoms are reading this thread.

As a sidenote whats this about Dallas/Round Rock? Houston is way cooler!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I think both UTMB and TAMU are amazing schools. That being said, if I was accepted I would probably go to the one that would cost less or give me more in scholarships. Plus, Aggie culture is the best.

• Love
As long as you come to Texas, does not matter where you want to be. :) Seriously, if you are holding A&M admission and/or others and are guaranteed instate, there is no reason to keep UTMB in the mix.

I feel that UTMB not following others in Texas giving out 1k at a minimum is causing them not to be competitive for OOS students. Hopefully some adcoms are reading this thread.

As a sidenote whats this about Dallas/Round Rock? Houston is way cooler!
The miss wanted something closer to the big city we live in (i.e., walkable, bikeable, not needing a car for every little thing) and she works as a software engineer so more jobs in the other cities! Nothing personal. I'm actually coming to Houston next week for a vacation because I'm excited to check out the vibe and try the food. Let me know if y'all have any restaurant recommendations!!

The miss wanted something closer to the big city we live in (i.e., walkable, bikeable, not needing a car for every little thing) and she works as a software engineer so more jobs in the other cities! Nothing personal. I'm actually coming to Houston next week for a vacation because I'm excited to check out the vibe and try the food. Let me know if y'all have any restaurant recommendations!!
Most IT jobs are work from home anyway. The lucrative jobs are in Austin because of all the bay area transplants like google, Apple, Oracle etc. Houston has AWS jobs (lot of people moving to AWS because of the huge pay difference compared to regular companies in Houston).

A&M requires you to spend one year on campus for all locations, 18 months for Houston and 4 years for college station.

Most IT jobs are work from home anyway. The lucrative jobs are in Austin because of all the bay area transplants like google, Apple, Oracle etc. Houston has AWS jobs (lot of people moving to AWS because of the huge pay difference compared to regular companies in Houston).

A&M requires you to spend one year on campus for all locations, 18 months for Houston and 4 years for college station.
My partner doesn’t love WFH so working from home for 1 year in BCS is better than 4 years in Galveston.

My partner doesn’t love WFH so working from home for 1 year in BCS is better than 4 years in Galveston.
I am trying to negotiate a scholarship for you on the forum and you are making it hard my friend. :)

• Haha