2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if UTMB reveals your spot on the WL?
None of the Texas schools will tell you "what number you are" in the WL.
Most AMCAS schools don't either, but a few will hint that you are in the "high priority" WL or in the "top third" etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if the waitlist acceptances are being told they can't be on other waitlists. Since they are offering you a seat off the waitlist, they want to make sure you consider them their top choice or else they will go to the next person on list.

I dont believe the currently admitted students (those that prematched or matched on match day) are being asked to get off their own waitlists.
This is a bit confusing
If you have prematched then get off a WL.
Now you hold 2 TX admissions, so you withdraw from one by April 15. What if you get off WL after 15th April

This is a bit confusing
If you have prematched then get off a WL.
Now you hold 2 TX admissions, so you withdraw from one by April 15. What if you get off WL after 15th April
You never hold two admissions in Texas IS past match. You are accepting your waitlist offer with the expectation that you are turning down the admission you are holding. You are allowed to turn down the waitlist offer and keep what you have.

I am saying UTMB might be recommending that you make them your final choice when they offer you a spot from the WL by asking you to cancel all other waitlists or else dont even accept it.

Last edited:
Withdrew my A… hope whoever it goes to will do great things with it ;) good luck everyone!

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Do we know about how much OOS waitlist movement actually occurs? Or how many spots they hold on WL for OOS etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
IS. Accepted off the waitlist on Monday! So funny because I was just in DFW for myHSC Day and looking for apartments near TCOM. I was actually wearing DFW/TCOM merch when I got the call from Dr. Banks 🤣🤣 I’m SO SO HAPPY THOUGH THIS IS A DREAM COME TRUE!

Does anyone know if I need to give up my TCOM acceptance immediately? Or can I wait until I accept the offer on myStar? I accepted the offer in the AMP portal, but I’m still waiting on my myStar credentials. I don’t want to lose TCOM unless I’ve checked off all the boxes at UTMB, if that makes any sense.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
IS. Accepted off the waitlist on Monday! So funny because I was just in DFW for myHSC Day and looking for apartments near TCOM. I was actually wearing DFW/TCOM merch when I got the call from Dr. Banks 🤣🤣 I’m SO SO HAPPY THOUGH THIS IS A DREAM COME TRUE!

Does anyone know if I need to give up my TCOM acceptance immediately? Or can I wait until I accept the offer on myStar? I accepted the offer in the AMP portal, but I’m still waiting on my myStar credentials. I don’t want to lose TCOM unless I’ve checked off all the boxes at UTMB, if that makes any sense.
Yes wait to confirm that they know you are accepting the offer at UTMB then contact TCOM directly to withdraw

You should always accept the offer from the new school before giving up the old school and write them a polite note as opposed to cancelling them in the system.

Reactions: 2 users
You should always accept the offer from the new school before giving up the old school and write them a polite note as opposed to cancelling them in the system.
Thanks for your responses! Just wanted to make sure since everyone always says, “you can’t hold more than one acceptance!” I’ll wait for my myStar credentials and accept in their system. And then I’ll write TCOM Admissions a nice email - honestly they deserve it! Amazing team up there.

Withdrew my A… hope whoever it goes to will do great things with it ;) good luck everyone!
How do you withdraw ? What’s the process
Do you update anything in TMDSAS
Does it update in TMDSAS, If you accept from WL and withdraw from the other. Thanks

How do you withdraw ? What’s the process
Do you update anything in TMDSAS
Does it update in TMDSAS, If you accept from WL and withdraw from the other. Thanks
You communicate directly with the schools at this point. TMDSAS is not the middleman anymore after match day, but of course you can still contact them with concerns or questions.

I just saw that the 2022 class profile had 6% out of state students. Not sure about exact WL movement.
I can't seem to find it. Is this listed somewhere on their website. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for getting off the WL at JSSOM as an OOS? I sent in my LOI in December with a LOI/update around March. I've only been able to find that they accept up to 10% of each class OOS.

I can't seem to find it. Is this listed somewhere on their website. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for getting off the WL at JSSOM as an OOS? I sent in my LOI in December with a LOI/update around March. I've only been able to find that they accept up to 10% of each class OOS.
UTMB sent an email titled "Before you rank" (I believe it was for IS applicants only) and they attached a recruitment brochure. Page 8 has more info regarding the 2022 entering class profile.

Attachments

• 2022 - 2023 Recruitment Brochure..pdf
    9.4 MB · Views: 112
It is true that UTMB only has 6% in 2022 class. The 10% is a cap, not a requirement. UTMB is not competing with other schools in Texas by trying to give OOS students instate tuition and therefore losing some of them to other Texas schools when they hold multiple admissions.

It is also possible that Texas schools dont always go to OOS students when spots open up beyond May 15th. They have a waitlist of TX students who do not have any admissions and it falls on them help accept them instead of looking for OOS students on waitlist who may have other offers from OOS.

UTMB News: A new President has been selected. This is just a screenshot from Twitter, link below photo for more info
Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 8.34.10 AM.png

UT Regents name Jochen Reiser as sole finalist for President of UT Medical Branch In Galveston

Reactions: 6 users
If you hold a texas admission and then receive a OOS WL and instate WL admission. How do you withdraw from both college and what else needs to be done. I believe for TX school one just needs to send an email to withdraw. For OOS schools do you have to do anything other than writing an email to withdraw. I want to make sure I am not missing any steps before April 30 in AMCAS.
Can someone advise. Thanks !

If you hold a texas admission and then receive a OOS WL and instate WL admission. How do you withdraw from both college and what else needs to be done. I believe for TX school one just needs to send an email to withdraw. For OOS schools do you have to do anything other than writing an email to withdraw. I want to make sure I am not missing any steps before April 30 in AMCAS.
You have asked this a few times, is this a hypothetical question or real-life?
The answer is the same, Accept the one you like best and write directly to the others to withdraw.
On TMDSAS it is NOT done on the portal, but by email to the school.
On AMCAS follow their portal directions but also communicate directly.

Are you saying the following:

1. Currently holding an IS in Texas
2. You are being offered a position off of WL IS
3. You are also being offered a position off of WL OOS.

What do you want to do with 1, 2, and 3?

Reactions: 1 user
declined my admission here today -- hope that spot goes to someone who will be very happy at utmb!

Reactions: 5 users
Are you saying the following:

1. Currently holding an IS in Texas
2. You are being offered a position off of WL IS
3. You are also being offered a position off of WL OOS.

What do you want to do with 1, 2, and 3?
I do not see anything in CYMS tool yet.
Yeah, only holding one acceptance in TX
Withdrew all others IS and OOS (WL then A) via email
Do I have to do any thing else by Tomm ?
When do I update CYMS

Will be declining my spot at UTMB today and accepting my UTSW offer ! Good luck to all and hope one of you gets this spot.

Reactions: 12 users
Does anyone know when is the last day the people on the waitlist will be considered?

Does anyone know when is the last day the people on the waitlist will be considered?
May 15th for people who already have an acceptance at another school. Up until classes start for people without an acceptance.

May 15th for people who already have an acceptance at another school. Up until classes start for people without an acceptance.
By another school, do you mean any school including AMCAS or just TMDSAS school. I have an admission at an AMCAS but on the WL at UTMB.

By another school, do you mean any school including AMCAS or just TMDSAS school. I have an admission at an AMCAS but on the WL at UTMB.
The May 15th rule applies to those holding a current TMDSAS acceptance, whether they are IS or OOS.
You could therefore stay on the UTMB WL past May 15 if you wish.

Reactions: 3 users
The May 15th rule applies to those holding a current TMDSAS acceptance, whether they are IS or OOS.
Right, only person holding a TMDSAS admission will lose all WLs inside TMDSAS. You could be holding outside Texas or even DO schools.

I am guessing TCU and DO school in San Antonio wont be counted since they are not part of TMDSAS.

Seems like UTMB has been quiet so far all of May regarding WL. Should we expect to see some movement this week then?

Also, did y’all receive an email from UTMB regarding WL a little while ago (April 27th)?

Last edited:
Seems like UTMB has been quiet so far all of May regarding WL. Should we expect to see some movement this week then?

Also, did y’all receive an email from UTMB regarding WL a little while ago (April 27th)?
What did the email say because I didn’t get one 😭

I received one

Reactions: 1 user
I am sorry I am a little lost. Basically if i have matched to another Texas med school already (no OOS acceptances), then after May 15th I will no longer be able to be on any waitlists in Texas?

I am sorry I am a little lost. Basically if i have matched to another Texas med school already (no OOS acceptances), then after May 15th I will no longer be able to be on any waitlists in Texas?
Correct

Key point is another TMDSAS school.

Yes.
After May 15 any new offers of admission will ONLY go to people who have no other TMDSAS acceptances.

Y’all, the schools need to finalize their school lists sometime. The musical chairs/ trading up period is almost over

Yes.
After May 15 any new offers of admission will ONLY go to people who have no other TMDSAS acceptances.

Y’all, the schools need to finalize their school lists sometime. The musical chairs/ trading up period is almost over
This only applies to Texas residents though right?
View attachment 371004

Confirmed twice through message with TMDSAS rep today lol:)