2021-2022 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @iceman579 for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Virginia Commonwealth Secondary Essay Prompts:

1) Cultural humility is defined as a "process of reflection and lifelong inquiry which involves self-awareness of personal and cultural biases, as well as, an awareness and sensitivity to significant cultural issues of others." Please provide an example of a specific time you demonstrated cultural humility with some reflection on the experience. (2000 char)

2) Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education that are not explained in your application.

3) Please briefly explain any low GPAs or poor grades.

4) If not addressed in your application, what are you currently doing now?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone having trouble logging into the portal?

Reactions: 1 user
It was in my spam folder -- check y'all spam.

Also... I wonder if some people are going to be screened out immediately again this year after submission

I just got the application received email today 7/06. However their portal is not working for me and crashes repeatedly.

I now see the 2022 label, but my credentials are not working.

Members don't see this ad :)
No my login credentials don't work at all. Also there's no 2022 application year in the selection box?
Ok I can now see the 2022 year in the dropdown menu but my credentials still don't work.

Ok my credentials are working now. Here's the prompt for this year: "Cultural humility is defined as a "process of reflection and lifelong inquiry which involves self-awareness of personal and cultural biases, as well as, an awareness and sensitivity to significant cultural issues of others." Please provide an example of a specific time you demonstrated cultural humility with some reflection on the experience." (2000 characters, including spaces)

Secondary prompts:

1) Cultural humility is defined as a "process of reflection and lifelong inquiry which involves self-awareness of personal and cultural biases, as well as, an awareness and sensitivity to significant cultural issues of others." Please provide an example of a specific time you demonstrated cultural humility with some reflection on the experience. (2000 char)

2) Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education that are not explained in your application.

Does anyone know if you receive AP credit for lab portions of courses if VCU accepts those? I know they say they accept AP credit but this portion on their website has me confused: "We accept AP and CLEP credit to meet premedical course requirements, if documented on an official transcript. Please note that lab credit will still be required. Applicants may meet lab credit with the lab sections of advanced science courses or practical experience, such as documented relevant experience in a research lab."

Does anyone know if you receive AP credit for lab portions of courses if VCU accepts those? I know they say they accept AP credit but this portion on their website has me confused: "We accept AP and CLEP credit to meet premedical course requirements, if documented on an official transcript. Please note that lab credit will still be required. Applicants may meet lab credit with the lab sections of advanced science courses or practical experience, such as documented relevant experience in a research lab."
I would say u need a real lab course (like in college) not AP lab credit

How did you guys get the credentials to work? I still can't login.

+ 1
I got in then logged out, and now I cant get back in again.
Same! They had me change my password and I was worried I wrote it down wrong, glad I'm not alone! Seems like everyone is having issues tonight so hopefully they fix the problems soon.

I just tried submitting and the portal just sends me to the start page...
hope their portal gets fixed soon :(

i was also having trouble logging in and I just clicked the link in the email they sent and it worked! hopefully that process works for other people too

i was also having trouble logging in and I just clicked the link in the email they sent and it worked! hopefully that process works for other people too
last year there was a problem with their portal and they ended up sending an email telling people to wait to submit because of problems on their end, wondering if its something similar this year

how are you already ready to submit I am confused

Same! They had me change my password and I was worried I wrote it down wrong, glad I'm not alone! Seems like everyone is having issues tonight so hopefully they fix the problems soon.
did you email them?

Just got the application received email. It was the first of 20+ secondary/application received emails to go in my spam, so everyone check your spam if you applied here!

Reactions: 2 users
I created an account and started working on the secondary, but now I can't get back into my account

Just got the application received email. It was the first of 20+ secondary/application received emails to go in my spam, so everyone check your spam if you applied here!
+1! Thanks for posting or else I would’ve never checked

Secondary prompts:

You got a secondary? Not just the "application received" email?

You got a secondary? Not just the "application received" email?
if you are able to log into the portal through the link in the application received email then you can see the secondary questions

Hm ok thank you, I'll reach out to them and try and find out if another one of my lab courses can suffice.
UPDATE: They accept AP lab credit if its notated on your official transcript.

Anyone else getting an error message when they try to pay the application fee?

Also, for me, I'm getting an error message when I try to even access the website - can't even attempt to login

Ya, big "We will be back soon" message when clicking the link in the we received your app email....

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I just tried again and encountered the same error :cryi: sent them an email and can update this discussion if I get a response!
UPDATE: got an email back from them this morning stating that my secondary and fee were received on their end despite the fact that I got no confirmation email after submitting. not sure if that's helpful info for anyone else who tried submitting and were having issues!

Hi all,
I am prewriting the secondary. Are questions 2-4 optional?

UPDATE: got an email back from them this morning stating that my secondary and fee were received on their end despite the fact that I got no confirmation email after submitting. not sure if that's helpful info for anyone else who tried submitting and were having issues!
After clicking the submit button yesterday, was it bringing you to the home page with no confirmation that the supplemental app was submitted? This happened to me, so not completely sure if it actually went through.

After clicking the submit button yesterday, was it bringing you to the home page with no confirmation that the supplemental app was submitted? This happened to me, so not completely sure if it actually went through.
Yes exactly! I emailed them and they confirmed that they received my completed secondary. Maybe shoot them an email to confirm as well

I'm still getting the "We will be back soon, don't contact admissions" message when I try to access the portal. Anyone else still having this issue today?

Reactions: 3 users