2021-2022 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
VCU is doing this again? There must be something that they use. VCU is known for rejecting applicants within a day or two after they submit their secondary app. It is definitely not stats
The only way for them to reject that fast is they must have some type of metric they are looking for? Potentially a certain amount of volunteer hours, volunteer experience (underserved), or Casper score seems like the most likely scenario.

Members don't see this ad.

Could be a Casper percentile screen, I've heard of schools using them before.

The only way for them to reject that fast is they must have some type of metric they are looking for? Potentially a certain amount of volunteer hours, volunteer experience (underserved), or Casper score seems like the most likely scenario.
But I don’t get why if they were going to screen you out they send you a secondary anyway? Because I heard they don’t sent secondary to all applicants

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else not even gotten an application received or secondary invite email? My primary was submitted June 28 :/

Reactions: 1 user
Could be a Casper percentile screen, I've heard of schools using them before.
They have a Casper screen when they’re considering sending an II. The application status should have been changed to say it was scored first then. They could not have read the application that fast, so it is probably something else.

Just got this status update an hour after submitting: "Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."

Is this sent to everyone after they submit their secondary or am I safe from an auto R as of now? Also, sorry to anyone who got screened :( this process sucks but y'all are going to make it < 3
That’s what mine says and I submitted on 7/12 ….. I’m not sure

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else not even gotten an application received or secondary invite email? My primary was submitted June 28 :/
My primary was submitted June 22 and I have not heard anything from them either. Maybe it's because we're not verfiied yet? Do we need to get the secondary email from VCU or could we just log into the portal? It only requires AAMC ID and birthdate it seems.

My primary was submitted June 22 and I have not heard anything from them either. Maybe it's because we're not verfiied yet? Do we need to get the secondary email from VCU or could we just log into the portal? It only requires AAMC ID and birthdate it seems.
Your primary application is not even verified yet - relax. You cannot even receive a secondary until VCU receives your VERIFIED primary application.

usually I’m pretty sure when people say they sent their primary it means that they are verified but not completely sure. Also they send presecondary Rs so I’m not sure if you can just log in.

usually I’m pretty sure when people say they sent their primary it means that they are verified but not completely sure. Also they send presecondary Rs so I’m not sure if you can just log in.
the guy/gal said 'submitted', which I'm assuming to be literally submitted and not verified - but when you're verified, make sure to look in your junk mailbox for anything VCU related! That's where i found my secondary emails.

Members don't see this ad :)
@mhopefula I think it means you’re safe from the auto-rejection, but then again my portal says the same thing so maybe I’m wishful thinking lol

• Haha
how did you guys solve the login issue? my credentials still aren't working
Have you made sure you're using the right cycle year for the top box? Or have you already reset your password? I can't really think of any other reasons why your portal wouldn't be working...

Have you made sure you're using the right cycle year for the top box? Or have you already reset your password? I can't really think of any other reasons why your portal wouldn't be working...
I input 2022, and it's not even letting me reset my password using my initial birthday pin... any ideas?

Can anyone check the status of their LORs in the application portal? I can't seem to find which letters they have confirmed as having received.

Can anyone check the status of their LORs in the application portal? I can't seem to find which letters they have confirmed as having received.
VCU does not have anywhere in their portal to check on LORs

I input 2022, and it's not even letting me reset my password using my initial birthday pin... any ideas?
Unfortunately no, I looked at my applicant page, and there's an option to reset the pin, which I'm assuming you've tried. I think your best bet is to try and call them or email admissions since it's a portal issue. Really sorry I couldn't be of more help to you :/

Does anyone know if VCU requires a letter from a pre-med advisor/committee? I read something on their secondary instructions page that basically said you should have one otherwise you won’t be taken seriously, but on their website and MSAR there isn’t anything in particular about that.

I'm having the same issue! I emailed VCU and they reset the password to MMDDYYYY, and told me to clear my browser history and try different browsers. I've done all of the above and still getting errors! Not sure what to do.

I'm having the same issue! I emailed VCU and they reset the password to MMDDYYYY, and told me to clear my browser history and try different browsers. I've done all of the above and still getting errors! Not sure what to do.
can you clear your cookies/cache? even try incognito mode too

Would someone please help me to understand the distinction between these two questions: "Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education that are not explained in your application" and "Please briefly explain any low GPAs or poor grades"?

Am I correcting in my understanding that the former refers more broadly to things like withdrawals from classes, repeated coursework, or semesters off, whereas the latter refers, as stated, to grades?

Would someone please help me to understand the distinction between these two questions: "Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education that are not explained in your application" and "Please briefly explain any low GPAs or poor grades"?

Am I correcting in my understanding that the former refers more broadly to things like withdrawals from classes, repeated coursework, or semesters off, whereas the latter refers, as stated, to grades?
I would think the lapses question would refer to taking a semester/time off during school while the second one would be about specific academic problems like grades, withdrawals, incomplete classes, etc.

I would think the lapses question would refer to taking a semester/time off during school while the second one would be about specific academic problems like grades, withdrawals, incomplete classes, etc.
That makes sense; appreciate your thoughts!

q2 is not referring to gap years right? and for q3, would it be okay to talk about a GPA drop in a semester even if I got all B's?

EDIT: Some B's and A's but my GPA significantly dropped

Last edited:
If it wasn't clear by reading this thread: That weird "primary recieved" email WAS THE SECONDARY. You had to go to the link and sign up (even though when they initially sent it out, the link didn't even work). Ugh! I only am realizing it now after having it for 8 days. I will make sure to get it done tomorrow :(

+1, was surprised I still had not received a secondary and so checked my Archive folder which still had this email. That email says literally nothing about secondary... ugh. Welp, here's to rushing to get this done to still be a few days after the 2-week mark.

for the cultural humility question, is it okay to talk about interacting with the disabled community and what I learned from that?

Does anyone know if VCU requires a letter from a pre-med advisor/committee? I read something on their secondary instructions page that basically said you should have one otherwise you won’t be taken seriously, but on their website and MSAR there isn’t anything in particular about that.
If anyone was wondering, I contacted them and they do not require you to have a pre med advisor LOR. I guess their instructions pdf on the secondary is 5 years outdated

If anyone was wondering, I contacted them and they do not require you to have a pre med advisor LOR. I guess their instructions pdf on the secondary is 5 years outdated
Sounds about right 🙃

Hey, how do you guys know if your secondary is complete and no further action is required.

Hey, how do you guys know if your secondary is complete and no further action is required.
Portal status on your homepage will say "Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application."

I submitted an academic change request to add a class that was missing on my record and it went through. I have now noticed that the VCU portal does not reflect the new class, does anyone know how long it takes to update?

Does anyone know what this status change means/if it's a good or bad thing? I went from

"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."

to

"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what this status change means/if it's a good or bad thing? I went from

"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."

to

"Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
last year everyone tried to guess what it means. I think VCU has different stages of review and it just means you moved onto the next review stage. Not necessarily a good or bad thing in my opinion, just means they are looking at you

Reactions: 2 users

to

From committee to sub-committee sounds pretty alright to me but have no idea...

GIF by ESPN Deportes

• Haha
last year everyone tried to guess what it means. I think VCU has different stages of review and it just means you moved onto the next review stage. Not necessarily a good or bad thing in my opinion, just means they are looking at you
From committee to sub-committee sounds pretty alright to me but have no idea...

GIF by ESPN Deportes

Haha I mean I'll take it! Thanks for the input guys :)

to

From what I could glean from last year's thread, the order (usually??) goes from:
Complete --> member of committee review --> sub-committee review --> admissions committee review --> file review complete
I am IS, complete 7/9 and was just placed on "file review complete" yesterday, so from here it's about waiting for an II or R.
Looks like you are moving along in the process!

From what I could glean from last year's thread, the order (usually??) goes from:
Complete --> member of committee review --> sub-committee review --> admissions committee review --> file review complete
I am IS, complete 7/9 and was just placed on "file review complete" yesterday, so from here it's about waiting for an II or R.

Super helpful, thanks! And good luck :)

Awesome! When were you complete?

Mine was submitted 7/8 and I am still at:

"Your M.D. file is now complete. A member of the committee will do a review of your application. This review is done to determine your qualifications for a potential interview invitation. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE to check on your status.Your status is updated in the portal for your review at all times."​

Should I be worried?