2021-2022 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 II - Complete 7/14. What a way to start a Monday morning!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning, OOS no ties, URM, LizzyM = 80, complete 8/12

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
II this morning! I’m so excited! OOS, URM complete 7/26

guys is it possible that they send an II by mistake

Reactions: 1 user
II earlier today!! IS, URM, LM 73.1, complete 9/7

Reactions: 1 user
how long after adding yale to your amcas do they take to send you a secondary? decided to yolo an application here

If I applied to T20s like Yale in mid-July and have not heard back, is that a bad sign? Obviously it does not mean I have no chance, but should I expect a rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, Yale recently lost their director of admissions to a battle with cancer. I imagine this is likely impacting the process this year. Let's all be patient as they work through a great loss <3

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 30 users
II just now! OOS, complete early August

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Stats?
I'm a really nontraditional student with an extensive military medicine background so I don't really think my stats are externally valid. Best of luck though!

Reactions: 3 users
II today! LM 76, complete 9/3

• Love
Not yale sending out recruitment emails…

I chuckled

• Haha
Hey all! I was wondering what is the system for reviewing applications at this non-rolling school. When would be best to send updates? I am worried that it would be bad to send updates too soon after interview but also don't want my update to be too late and after the adcoms meet. Can anyone provide some insight? @KnightDoc @LizzyM
Thank you!

Here's what I think happens. Each week, interview reports are written, the entire file including interview reports and application materials are reviewed by the committee members and each interviewed applicant is given a numeric score by each committee member. There might be periodic meetings to discuss candidates and hash out any seriously discordant scores (why did Joe give a 3 when all the other committee members gave 6 or higher. Did he see something the rest of us missed or did he make an error in scoring? ) Once it is hashed out, the mean or median across all committee members who weighed in is determined and the applicant is placed on a list sorted by score. The list can be updated as often as scores are generated for more recently interviewed candidates.

When it comes time to make offers, the committee starts at the top of the list and works its way down. The top is easy, as is the bottom. In the middle it can be more difficult, particularly if there are 10 offers left to make and 25 people all with identical scores. That's where a school really gets to decide where their priorities lie and choose accordingly.

As for updates, I have no idea if they help at all at this point or if they are more valuable if you are waitlisted but really gung-ho for the Yale System.

Reactions: 5 users
Here's what I think happens. Each week, interview reports are written, the entire file including interview reports and application materials are reviewed by the committee members and each interviewed applicant is given a numeric score by each committee member. There might be periodic meetings to discuss candidates and hash out any seriously discordant scores (why did Joe give a 3 when all the other committee members gave 6 or higher. Did he see something the rest of us missed or did he make an error in scoring? ) Once it is hashed out, the mean or median across all committee members who weighed in is determined and the applicant is placed on a list sorted by score. The list can be updated as often as scores are generated for more recently interviewed candidates.

When it comes time to make offers, the committee starts at the top of the list and works its way down. The top is easy, as is the bottom. In the middle it can be more difficult, particularly if there are 10 offers left to make and 25 people all with identical scores. That's where a school really gets to decide where their priorities lie and choose accordingly.

As for updates, I have no idea if they help at all at this point or if they are more valuable if you are waitlisted but really gung-ho for the Yale System.
Thank you!

Does it seem quiet here to anyone else or am I delusional lol?

Reactions: 11 users
II received today!
LM 76 URM
Complete 07/26
What interview dates were available when you got your II?

(Wondering if things are as quiet as they seem or they’re already booked out for the cycle lol)

Mid to late-ish november
Hmmm…so clearly there have been a lot more IIs than have been reported here.

Come on, people. Please share your IIs with the rest of us neurotics! LOL

Hmmm…so clearly there have been a lot more IIs than have been reported here.

Come on, people. Please share your IIs with the rest of us neurotics! LOL
Could also be interpreted as a positive that they’re scheduling about a month out.

At least the earliest date wasn’t in January or February where we could assume they're all booked out for the cycle. (Grasping at straws here lol!!)

II earlier today,
LM ~80 ORM
Complete mid August, interviews open for the month of December

Reactions: 9 users
II this morning, Complete 9/29

Reactions: 7 users
II this morning!! Complete 10/18, they're scheduling out to mid december

Reactions: 4 users
II received this morning!! OOS, Complete 08/25. This one was a HUGE surprise for me. As the previous poster mentioned, the earliest dates were mid-Dec.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone have any idea how long they send their IIs out until?

Anyone have any idea how long they send their IIs out until?
Last reported II on last year's SDN thread was 01/08! And yes, last year's thread is as quiet as this year's.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello everyone!! For those who completed the interview, what was the main form of prep did you do?

II today! Complete 7/26, first interview available was 1/5/22!

II this morning as well!! Complete 7/16.